Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2021, 18:22   #976
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So here is a quick summary of my observations:
4) Coming to interiors , this is where Skoda has gone on whole hog cost cutting mode and there are many areas where the cost cutting is extremely evident and makes the interiors look tacky and Cheap:
a) Seats of both the Ambition Variant (Cloth ones) are absolutely pathetic and fabric is already wrinkled and looks like it will tear very soon (on a new car)
For the Style Variant, it is poorly fitted cheap quality fake leather and it totally does not feel like it belongs on the inside of a Skoda. Even the Rapids in the showroom had 10 times better seats which looked rich and well fitted and the material was much more Durable. Skoda kind of expects everyone to buy their overpriced Seat Covers once they are available so that they can make some extra side money.

d) The Interior plastics are nothing great and in fact in many areas are more flimsy and lower in quality than the Rapid

f) The Interiors overall may look ok in a sub 4m Segment car like a Brezza, but have no business in a 4+m SUV from Skoda - they are very un-Skoda Like and being an existing Skoda owner, they feel like a significant step down from the current interiors I have in my Laura as well as my Gen 1 Jeep Compass. In the Compass the Design may be very basic, but the plastic quality and fit finish are top notch. In the Kushaq, the design might be modern, but fit finish and plastic quality is definitely lacking.
Finally, I did a test drive of Kushaq 1.0 AT. The drive was around 3-4 kms in traffic and couldn't go beyond 60 kmph.

Background: I have a Honda Jazz from last 5 years and have driven Civic and Accord in the past.
My quick observations on Kushaq:
1) Externally, it doesn't look like an SUV. It will easily get lost in the crowd, not a head turner at all
2) Internal space management is very good. Rear seat width is similar to other SUV in this segment. The issue for 5 people is the bucket design of the seat, but good for 4 people. Occasional 5 people should be OK
3) Ride quality is very good (typical Skoda), turbo lag around 1500-1800 rpm, beyond that it is fun to drive. Braking & suspension are excellent
4) Interiors felt Ok quality, at places felt flimsy than my Jazz. Nothing to feel WOW that we typically get when we see a Skoda

Summary: I enjoyed the ride, but didn't feel anything great that will qualify as a upgrade for my Jazz. I will still wait for 1.5L variant and then decide.

@Behemoth: I am aware that you own Compass Diesel. I am thinking of pre-owned Compass as well, I think in Blore they are available at 16-18L for 2018 Diesel MT. Can you pls let me know how is the clutch hardness after 3 years of usage and overall feedback of Compass Diesel. I wish they had a proper 4x2 Diesel variant in AT. Appreciate your comment
Carz77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 19:33   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz77 View Post
@Behemoth: I am aware that you own Compass Diesel. I am thinking of pre-owned Compass as well, I think in Blore they are available at 16-18L for 2018 Diesel MT. Can you pls let me know how is the clutch hardness after 3 years of usage and overall feedback of Compass Diesel. I wish they had a proper 4x2 Diesel variant in AT. Appreciate your comment
You should consider that option too if you can get your hands on a good pre owned Compass. They are well built and the engine is a pretty good performer. The clutch has not hardened much in my four years and is still softer than my Laura. Do try out the second hand options you get and take a hands on feel of the car.
The Jeep Compass is one of those cars from the school where cars were designed for an engineered life of 10 years/ 2 lac kms. New cars now are designed for lower engineered life of 6-8 years/ 1 lac kms - even the Kushaq being such an example. Even the Laura I have was also designed for 12+ years of life and my car even now with 9.5 years still looks pristine and interiors are really well built. Anyone who sees the car interior feels it is only 4-5 years old

Last edited by Behemoth : 10th July 2021 at 19:34.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 20:12   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You should consider that option too if you can get your hands on a good pre owned Compass. They are well built and the engine is a pretty good performer. The clutch has not hardened much in my four years and is still softer than my Laura. Do try out the second hand options you get and take a hands on feel of the car.
The Jeep Compass is one of those cars from the school where cars were designed for an engineered life of 10 years/ 2 lac kms. New cars now are designed for lower engineered life of 6-8 years/ 1 lac kms - even the Kushaq being such an example. Even the Laura I have was also designed for 12+ years of life and my car even now with 9.5 years still looks pristine and interiors are really well built. Anyone who sees the car interior feels it is only 4-5 years old
Thanks for your inputs. I will consider Compass option along with the upcoming XUV700. I am ready to wait till this Dec as I want a real upgrade and want to keep the car for next 8 to 10 years
Old 10th July 2021, 21:34   #979
Team-BHP Support

Drove the 1.0 AT

Very pleasant to drive but engine is very eager to upshift so one would end up using the paddles a lot. Handling was neutral but very reassuring. It felt like a car from a segment above.

Interiors were a bit of a mishmash of time warps. The instruments were a generation old. The touchscreen was from this generation. The plastics of the console were well formed but the material quality was a bit tacky.

Summarising, I would be happy with it although it is not perfect. Hyundai gives you features and consistent finish. This gives you superior dynamics
ajmat is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:41   #980
BHPian

I was able to check out the Kushaq at a showroom today. The car doesn't look small from the front. However, from the back it looks a size smaller than competition (much like Venue). The stance also seemed low.

From the inside, I found the head room and leg room enough for all 5' 9" of me, both at the front & the back. The back seat is perhaps the most comfortable in the segment for 2 people, things will get tight for three. The interiors may not be typical Skoda level but match or perhaps exceed the immediate competition in the segment. Visible screws in sunroof were a turn off. The seat & the steering in this display piece were better finished than what I saw in reviews. The dead pedal is a size too small.

Till now remain committed to the idea of buying it as it has many more active safety features than Seltos in the under 15 lakh automatic segment. Never considered the ugly duckling a.k.a Creta and can't digest the big reflective panel on the back of the Taigun. Now await the test drive!

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 10th July 2021 at 21:43.
abhishek_hch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 21:49   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
The back seat is perhaps the most comfortable in the segment for 2 people, things will get tight for three. The interiors may not be typical Skoda level but match or perhaps exceed the immediate competition in the segment.
Now await the test drive!
I keep saying this that interiors might not be Skoda quality level but still better than competitors at most point except side air vents and boot lid cover.

I am sure you will love the TD and you are right back seat is most comfortable for 2 in this segment.
Old 10th July 2021, 22:22   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
I keep saying this that interiors might not be Skoda quality level but still better than competitors at most point except side air vents and boot lid cover.
I did not see the boot lid cover. But as regards the much maligned side air vents - having read, heard & seen so much about it all through, perhaps my expectations were so so low that I did not feel much disappointed.

One thing that I forgot to mention was that the build seemed pretty solid & the thud quite satisfying (before get pounced upon, agree the test are not yet in & we should all wait but what the hands feel and the ears hear is again the best in the segment).
abhishek_hch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:07   #983
BHPian

Just completed PDI, and I am getting my car tomorrow, I am so excited for it. Hope the journey will be beautiful.
maverickNerd is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 17:43   #984
BHPian

Which is a better overall option between Kushaq Ambient 1.0L MT vs Ecosport Petrol Titanium AT? Both are almost the same price.

Preference is Interiors, Handling, Performance.
Old 11th July 2021, 19:33   #985
BHPian

I did a test drive of the 1.0 TSI MT today. The car felt good in terms of driving manners but the car definitely doesn't look like an SUV from outside. One thing I noticed is that the view from the rear view mirror is strictly average because of the center headrest. I don't know if it was my feeling or everybody felt the same.

Overall it was a good experience but I feel the price is higher than what the car offers. Just my personal opinion.
ramsudhir is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:18   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post
Which is a better overall option between Kushaq Ambient 1.0L MT vs Ecosport Petrol Titanium AT? Both are almost the same price.

If driving dynamics is the priority, Kushaq is undoubtedly better than the ecosport. But the more basic choice is between automatic or manual. It boils down to MT vs AT. Go for the ecosport, only if an AT is a must and the Kushaq AT is out of your budget.
Old 11th July 2021, 20:23   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto1212 View Post

Kushaq!
Handling and performance is as per various test drive feedback posted here.
Interior issues can be resolved up to some extend by adding nice seat cover and door panel covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
Guys dealer said that we cannot purchase only some items from accesories that Skoda is offering, I just need mud flaps, and car cover, is there a way to get it after delivery? I don't want all the accessories, don't find it worth the amount. Since it is a completely new car I am not finding cover online, and I think offline market will also not have.
Wait for few weeks. You should be able to purchase it from showroom or outside later.

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th July 2021 at 20:28.
Old 11th July 2021, 20:23   #988
BHPian

Guys dealer said that we cannot purchase only some items from accesories that Skoda is offering, I just need mud flaps, and car cover, is there a way to get it after delivery? I don't want all the accessories, don't find it worth the amount. Since it is a completely new car I am not finding cover online, and I think offline market will also not have.
Old 11th July 2021, 22:51   #989
BHPian

Do you think that the Taigun will be considerably pricier than the Kushaq? If so, I think I will go ahead and book this one instead of waiting. Checks almost all boxes except crash test rating and good auto-box with 6 airbags. I will go for the MT to get the 6 airbags.
Old 11th July 2021, 23:00   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
Do you think that the Taigun will be considerably pricier than the Kushaq?
Should be identical if you go by how Vento and Rapid are priced IMHO. Taigun top model may be priced 30-40 higher as it gets digital cockpit.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks