Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 11:02   #871
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post

Am coming from a diesel Punto and wouldn't have considered a petrol (even a turbo) but for the Kushaq.

Anyone with a similar dilemma or can throw some light on the choice between these two manuals for a requirement which could be 70-30 in favour of highway driving? Driving style is not outright spirited but would, at least, like to get the kinda fun the Punto offers.
I think you should drive yourself and see if it matches/exceeds punto power. As far as power is considered, it is pretty quick in rapid/vento/polo. But again it depends on what car you are actually driving, and I am sure once you yourself drive it for some kms you can judge better.

Regarding efficiency I think it can easily give 14-16 on highways with gentle pedal (80-90km/hr)
maverickNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 11:49   #872
BHPian

I am on the lookout for a car in this segment for more than 2 years. Pandemic postponed my plans. I will give this one a miss mainly because of 2 factors apart from horrible A.S.S. The first one, it's not a 5 seater. A short trip with 5 onboard is okay but occasionally I would need to accommodate 5th passengers for a longer duration and that won't be possible with this car. Secondly, the boot space is less. It will accommodate luggage for a weekend trip but any longer trip, especially if you have a small kid, some of the smaller luggage items would end up being carried in your lap. The price is definitely 1.5-2 L ex-showroom more that translates to 2L+ more OTR in Bengaluru. Cars in this segment are no longer value for money.
I was considering Selto (Don't like the ugly new Creta) but a 3-star safety rating made me chuck it out from my list.
I like sedans and looks like I better pick up one. Offers more space, comfort, handling & value for money.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:34   #873
BHPian

I am planning to buy a car next year and Kushaq is a strong contender. I would like to share my thoughts on this as it is a little contrasting to what I have read till now.

I need 5-seater occupancy at times for longer journeys but the last two being 10-18 age kids. One of the highlights of this car for me is the three-point seatbelt for the fifth passenger. I hope that Kushaq will get some NCAP ratings by that time.

For a firth passenger a few mm less comfort with a three-point seatbelt, in my eyes is far safer than a wide seat with lap belts. As long as the fifth passenger is a 10-15 years child I personally find this a big game-changer as they should be able to manage in the Kushaq seats.

I see that almost all cars in India keep boasting about their focus on the fifth passenger while omitting this basic feature. The lack of three-point seat belt options beneath 20L was frustrating and Kushaq is the first car AFAIK.

If we really plan long drives with five people, aren't three-point seat belts relevant? I am surprised that this isn't even mentioned as a plus by many who are looking for a five-seater.
Trapezio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:54   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post

I need 5-seater occupancy at times for longer journeys but the last two being 10-18 age kids. One of the highlights of this car for me is the three-point seatbelt for the fifth passenger. I hope that Kushaq will get some NCAP ratings by that time.
I suggest you look at the 5th Gen Honda City instead if seating 5 is a need. The city has a 3 point belt for the middle passenger as well and is much much more comfortable to travel 3 abreast in the back, especially on long journeys.

Having checked out the Kushaq in person, I can confidently say that making anyone sit in the middle seat especially for long journeys is going to be difficult and like a punishment for them. The cabin width is just severely lacking and the car is a strict 4 seater.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:55   #875
BHPian

What should be the best time to release final cheque to the dealer, got a call from my dealer, he asked cheque now only as a confirmation, I told him that first I will do PDI and then provide. Also when should we discuss regarding insurance quote, I am getting insurance from outside 35K cheaper than quote from dealer. Same insurance provider(United India Insurance) which Skoda has tie up with.
Old 8th July 2021, 13:01   #876
BHPian

Quote:
The lack of three-point seat belt options beneath 20L was frustrating and Kushaq is the first car AFAIK
While it is a relatively rare feature, other cars since long have offered this. I remember the Etios Platinum offering it, the XUV3OO offers it, the Corolla Altis offered it as well. And I'm sure other cars have too.

Quote:
If we really plan long drives with five people, aren't three-point seat belts relevant? I am surprised that this isn't even mentioned as a plus by many who are looking for a five-seater.
Sir, as somebody who has checked out the car already I'd say if you're planning on having the 5th passenger frequently, go for a bigger car, perhaps something like XL6 or Marazzo will work out to be far better in that case. While 5th passenger has good legroom and the three point seatbelt is a very nice addition, the hard and protruding seatback will result in backache on long drives.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 8th July 2021 at 13:04.
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:09   #877
BHPian

Quote:
I see that almost all cars in India keep boasting about their focus on the fifth passenger while omitting this basic feature. The lack of three-point seat belt options beneath 20L was frustrating and Kushaq is the first car AFAIK.

If my memory serves me right, XUV3OO was launched with 3 points seat belts for all 3 rear seats. However, M&M in its great wisdom decided to remove this 'feature' and started giving the lap belt after recent feature rationalization (April-May 2021). Recent XUV owner may be able to attest better.

Regarding relevancy point you mentioned, I agree. A 3 point seat belt is safer than a mere lap belt for the center rear seat. But, for a country where even front seat belts are majorly worn to avoid traffic violations rather than safety, awareness and application of a 3 point seat belt for center rear seat is a PhD. level stuff, IMHO.
museycal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:24   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post

Well it clearly does not seem so going by the sales figures
Sorry, I didn't get your point. Do you mean VW/Skoda has good sales figure even with lesser features?

Quote:
Because not every regular average Joe (which is 99% of the market) cares about the steering feel and the chassis stiffness. What matters to most is how convenient, reliable, fuss free and fuel efficient the car is.
Yes, I agree with you. I was just point out two different category of buyers.

Quote:
Why not?
Because, feature list is the strength of Koreans and to some point Maruti Suzuki. Not Citroen, Jeep, Ford or Toyota or even Honda.
If they try to provide all the features, the price will go above and beyond in the segment range. Or they compromise on their strengths.
Skoda has already compromised with its interior quality ( as per VAG standards ). Even Creta and Seltos do not provide all the features of each other.
We already see pricing of Jeep Compass and Citroen C5 aircross with full feature list.

Quote:
A contradiction on your part, but nevertheless a true statement.
I didn't mean to judge Koreans. They are providing a very good package that more than 90% of the buyers want.
My point is that we shouldn't judge the VW/Skoda as well.

Quote:
Please explain us how do you conclude that? The Kushaq has not been crash tested yet and there is simply no scientific data to prove that it's more safer than the Koreans(and consequently more unsafe)
Agree. No NCAP results so far.
But when a Korean car is launched, you know it will be full of features.
When a Honda / Toyota car is launched, you know it will be reliable.
Similarly, when a VW/Skoda is launched, you know it will have better fit and finish, be safer and have better driving dynamics.
Also as GTO had mentioned ( from reliable sources ), it will be 4 star.
Although, Skoda do have disappointed with the interiors and with the 2 Airbags in AT version. But, I believe this will be corrected ( with subsequent price increase ).

Quote:
This is an Apples to Oranges comparison. The Polo is an entirely different car and competes with an entirely different set of cars as well. There is simply no correlation that can be established in terms of safety(or lack thereof)
Quote:
Again, Polo and Fabia were completely different cars that too from a different era. I would still advise you to go test drive the Kushaq and Taigun and have an in depth look at both before coming to any sort of conclusion on how they feel or drive.
Is it? I believe they all belong to B-Segment (Small Hatchbacks).
And when I bought Polo, Fabia was also being sold in the same segment.

Quote:
Such as? (Am genuinely curious)
Well, Jeep Compass does boost of 50+ safety features.
Although it includes few like DRLs, side indicators etc which are basic.
The below post provides good details on this.
Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review

Quote:
Well aren't they in the same segment? And if not sales then how do you expect a mass market manufacturer to churn out profits?
VAG said they are just targeting 5% of the Indian market for now. Maybe in future they will try to be a mass market manufacturer in India. But not as of now.

Quote:
I am a VW owner and absolutely love my car to the bits. I had a very in depth, thorough look at the Kushaq yesterday and if there is one thing I can say, it's that it's a very watered down version in terms of quality compared to their previous cars. I am slightly disappointed as well and don't think it will be a proper replacement (let alone an upgrade) to my Vento.
Agree, Kushaq does disappoints in terms of interior quality as compared to previous VAG cars.
But, in terms of driving dynamics, it still is good. I am not saying that all ex-VW/Skoda owners will opt for it. But this is a major category of buyers who would opt for Taigun/Kushaq.

Quote:
Again, contradiction on your part. If you believe it will consistently do 5k units a month, then those cars will definitely not vanish into thin air right?
Like I mentioned "Not so common". Even 1-2 years later, when you compare with number of Koreans on road, VW/Skoda will be the "Not so common" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Kushaq is competition to cars like S-cross, Ford EcoSport, Tata Nexon etc. and definitely not with likes of Creta or Seltos. Those are bigger cars. From side it looks quite similar S-cross. It definitely don't have SUV looks which is very disappointing.
I don't quite agree with this point. Yes, maybe it is similar in dimensions with S-cross. But comparing it with Ecosport or Nexon is not right.
As all reviews have mentioned, Kushaq is in segment with the Korean Twins, Duster, Kicks etc
Also, VW/Skoda doesn't build cars with SUV-ish ( like we Indians think ) size. If you compare with Tata Harrier, even VW Tiguan is lesser in height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
4) Coming to interiors , this is where Skoda has gone on whole hog cost cutting mode and there are many areas where the cost cutting is extremely evident and makes the interiors look tacky and Cheap:
a) Seats of both the Ambition Variant (Cloth ones) are absolutely pathetic and fabric is already wrinkled and looks like it will tear very soon (on a new car)

Attachment 2176384 Attachment 2176391

For the Style Variant, it is poorly fitted cheap quality fake leather and it totally does not feel like it belongs on the inside of a Skoda. Even the Rapids in the showroom had 10 times better seats which looked rich and well fitted and the material was much more Durable. Skoda kind of expects everyone to buy their overpriced Seat Covers once they are available so that they can make some extra side money.

b) The AC vents in the front are really tacky and plasticky like others have also noticed
It is really disappointing to see the cost cutting in interior quality. I hope VAG take feedback and improve these with actual VAG standards.

Quote:
e) The Sunroof in the style variant has exposed mechanisms which simply look EEKY..!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalmr62 View Post
This might be the most commonly raised complaint, but I don't see it? Looks like the same unit in Venue/Sonet/Seltos to me. What am I missing?
Yes, I have the same question. My Honda city also has similar exposed mechanisms. Can you give reference of any car with single sunroof and concealed mechanism? Just for my future reference.

Quote:
Coming to the Boot space, I did the actual Measurements and here they are:

Attachment 2176385

As per my calculations, the boot space comes to around 336L + 8L niche on Left = 344L, which is decent and definitely larger than that of the Creta.
I was actually waiting for this
So, Skoda has mentioned the actual usable boot space. 385L vs 344L is a very minor difference.
Old 8th July 2021, 14:23   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickNerd View Post
What should be the best time to release final cheque to the dealer, got a call from my dealer, he asked cheque now only as a confirmation, I told him that first I will do PDI and then provide. Also when should we discuss regarding insurance quote, I am getting insurance from outside 35K cheaper than quote from dealer. Same insurance provider(United India Insurance) which Skoda has tie up with.
After the PDI should be fine for both. Ask them to match your quote and personally I would give them a leeway of 5K if they try to match your quote.
Where did you get the quote from ?
Old 8th July 2021, 14:34   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousnewbie View Post
After the PDI should be fine for both. Ask them to match your quote and personally I would give them a leeway of 5K if they try to match your quote.
Where did you get the quote from ?
Quote is through coverfox for United india insurance, including nip dep, and engien protection+ key loss cover, 31,190 Including gst, I am also thinking of the same, if they come close to it I can go with them but currently difference is too large.
maverickNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:10   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
Sorry, I didn't get your point. Do you mean VW/Skoda has good sales figure even with lesser features?
No. I mean that whatever qualities VW/Skoda brings to the table, it is in the end the Koreans who are successful in our market. The sales figures are just a testament to that fact.

Quote:
Because, feature list is the strength of Koreans and to some point Maruti Suzuki. Not Citroen, Jeep, Ford or Toyota or even Honda.
If they try to provide all the features, the price will go above and beyond in the segment range. Or they compromise on their strengths.
Skoda has already compromised with its interior quality ( as per VAG standards ). Even Creta and Seltos do not provide all the features of each other. We already see pricing of Jeep Compass and Citroen C5 aircross with full feature list.
Be it the strength of Koreans or even the Nigerians for all I care, what matters in the end is who takes the most money back to the bank and this is clearly where the Koreans are succeeding. I'm extremely confident that VAG can easily become the flag bearer of a feature list like nothing else but they just don't want to make an effort it seems. Infact if we see globally, VAG has much larger economies of scale so it should in theory be even cheaper for them to integrate more features.

Quote:
Agree. No NCAP results so far.
But when a Korean car is launched, you know it will be full of features.
When a Honda / Toyota car is launched, you know it will be reliable.
Similarly, when a VW/Skoda is launched, you know it will have better fit and finish, be safer and have better driving dynamics.
Again, some stereotypes which can be grossly misleading and just going by these because somebody on the internet says that a Skoda car drives better is grossly misleading. Such general statements don't really make sense especially when we are delving into very scientific subjects. You can never be sure of a car's safety until it's been proven.

Quote:
Also as GTO had mentioned ( from reliable sources ), it will be 4 star.
With all due respect to GTO, these are just rumours and not proof of anything.

Quote:
Is it? I believe they all belong to B-Segment (Small Hatchbacks).
And when I bought Polo, Fabia was also being sold in the same segment.
There is literally nothing identical between the Polo/Fabia and Kushaq/Taigun. Hell, even the logos have changed! Even in between both the cars, Fabia was based on the older PQ24 platform whereas Polo was/is based on the slightly improved PQ25.

Quote:
Well, Jeep Compass does boost of 50+ safety features.
Although it includes few like DRLs, side indicators etc which are basic.
The below post provides good details on this.
Red Phoenix - My Used Jeep Compass Limited (D) MT : An Ownership Review
Seems like the guy making the brochures has done a wonderful job convincing people of their "safety features"

Quote:
Like I mentioned "Not so common". Even 1-2 years later, when you compare with number of Koreans on road, VW/Skoda will be the "Not so common" one
5k cars a month which means about 240,000 cars in 2 years on the roads.
Quote:
I don't quite agree with this point. Yes, maybe it is similar in dimensions with S-cross. But comparing it with Ecosport or Nexon is not right.
As all reviews have mentioned, Kushaq is in segment with the Korean Twins, Duster, Kicks etc
I personally don't think it would be unfair to compare it to the EcoSport and Nexon considering their top few variants do indeed overlap with the Kushaq as well as the power figures (of the 1.0 TSI), features, the fact that all three are small crossovers and many more things.

Quote:
Yes, I have the same question. My Honda city also has similar exposed mechanisms. Can you give reference of any car with single sunroof and concealed mechanism? Just for my future reference
Here are the pics from the official review of the sunroofs of the WRV and Seltos. As you can see both have a very clean setup without any mechanicals exposed to the interiors and very minimal parts visible outside.
Skoda Kushaq Review-2017hondawrv59.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-2019kiaseltos95.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2021 at 08:38. Reason: No need for such a rude or strong post please. Request to continue being polite, calm & respectful, even in debates. Thanks for the support & understanding
porsche_guy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:16   #882
Senior - BHPian

7.4 Lakh Rupees Rapid Rider seat/fabric looks much better than Kushaq!
pic: tejascshetty's ownership review!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-seat.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:25   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Quote is through coverfox for United india insurance, including nip dep, and engien protection+ key loss cover, 31,190 Including gst, I am also thinking of the same, if they come close to it I can go with them but currently difference is too large.
Going by your quote, I am assuming you are going for the 1.0L MT style variant. The difference is significant and I think they’ll oblige or at least will let you buy insurance from third party without any hassle. I would suggest you to add consumables cover as well.

Last edited by curiousnewbie : 8th July 2021 at 15:36. Reason: Typos corrected
curiousnewbie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:47   #884
BHPian

Does anyone know the difference between Engine Protector and engine protector for water ingression as quoted by Skoda insurance.
I was under the impression that normal engine protection is covered under basic insurance and additional engine protection is only needed for damage due to water ingress.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-f408473982a049e0abb6f62a84b6aa53.jpeg  

Old 8th July 2021, 16:46   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Now even I am in two minds about this As Skoda has quoted 59000 for the Ambition MT including the Skoda Drive assure economy package, which is assume is Zero Dep addon. I’ve got a quote from cover fox for 28000 including GST for the same. Can someone shed light as to what is the Skoda drive assure exactly and would it be advisable to take insurance from cover fox.
varun_ro is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks