Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:07   #676
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The kicks comes with Esc across all turbo models. Damm for such a low volume Nissan is able to price the 150 hp car exactly same as ambition 1.0 MT. Both kicks 1.3 xv pre and kushaq ambition 1.0 mt are 15.xx on road Mumbai and Nissan has more features.
This is where Nissan missed the trick. They should have provided 6 air bags on the top end Kicks. Many Turbo Petrol owners looking for a CSUV would have looked into that provided it already got 4 star safety rating in GNCAP with just 2 airbags.

This is where Skoda is also missing the trick. They may get a 4 star safety rating in GNCAP but the safety cushion which 6 airbags will give is always something to opt for. But for those who want a manual transmission with 6 airbags and good ride and handling, the Kushaq tilts the decision in its favour.

I am sure many Linea TJet owners looking to upgrade would be interested in a Turbo Petrol would love the sorted road manners, ride and handling of the Kicks or the Kushaq. If only Renault can launch an updated Duster with AWD in a Turbo Petrol combo with updated interiors, it would find more takers.
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:07   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Get real, Skoda is the king of bling, the whole marketing spiel is based on the kit you get relative to more expensive cars, that's what simply clever is. The Octavia might trump the Elantra, but that's not the case in this segment, the Creta invented it and now you've got the Seltos, combined they sell 4 times what skoda plans to in a few years from now. The Koreans have 3 engines and 5 transmission on offer they're not on a back foot, I guess they'll double down and increase prices.

We are supposed to be in awe of the safety, build quality, handling and ambience. Safety is untested as of now, less airbags equal more safety because of sheet metal thickness, right. Build quality, a completely arbitrary opinion, the Creta and the Seltos don't feel like tin cans at all, they're the direct competition. Handling is pretty much at par for the Creta and Seltos, at legal speeds nobody is going to give it a second thought. The Kushaq has dreary interiors, look at the drab color combination and poor finish of the steering wheel, yes it's going to hold up really well. The Creta and Seltos have good interiors and the Creta panoramic sunroof is awesome, a proper luxury feature.

You can go against the tide and pick up what the market has dropped, be prepared for a long ownership period, dicey service and disastrous depreciation. No diesel, overpriced automatics with less airbags and skoda service, looks like a clear winner.

The Korean twins stretch between 10-20 otr, the Kushaq hasn't been tested for safety yet and its based on a cut price localisation platform with a focus on cost cutting. What key parameters did the Kushaq trump the koreans on? Why would anyone choose a stressed 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo over an equally powerful 1.5 NA the koreans offer, for dreadful economy?
Finally someone said it. That’s one lovely post!

I know how defensive one gets when your choice is questioned. But to all the future owners, do not go by the reviews alone, drive the vehicle for yourself. A car doesn’t become safe just because it is advertised so. Brand alone doesn’t not guarantee your family’s safety.

Not sure about the Seltos but Creta is a proven product, tin can or not, it works for lacs of users, and wonderfully at that. And Skoda projects itself as a premium brand and hence the pricing. To be honest, it’s good to compare specs between cars to the dot, but in the end, go for the one which makes you smile and to which your heart calls for. Also, I think Skoda ASS would be improved leaps and bounds in the coming future so I think that’s one thing you should worry less about.

But people who’ll have it as their beater car do take a well-rounded approach.

Happy Shopping guys.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd July 2021 at 05:30. Reason: Please use exclamation marks only where necessary.
Jash2709 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:18   #678
BHPian

I stopped by at a Skoda showroom on my way to somewhere else. They had 3 cars(2 display and 1 for test drive) all of them 1L manual style variant.

Couldn’t test drive as there were 3 people waiting for test drive and didn’t have the time to wait.

Here is my observations on the most talked about points.

External looks: looks excellent, in my opinion the best looking car in the class. Looks shorter than Creta when standing next to it, but other than that it looks as big as creta.
Interior quality: good enough, I felt it’s on par with creta but, doesn’t feel particularly impressive on anything. I don’t know how to put it but let’s just say it feels like a skoda made for India and made in India. Reviews about the roof liner is correct, it feels cheap. The biggest let down is the ac vents, Skoda needs to do a better quality control and fire the vendor responsible for the vents but this is no way a dealbreaker.
Interior space: front seats are very comfortable.
Back seats are a disappointment. I am ok with it being narrower, also it has excellent knee room.
Where it feels so bad is it’s not a comfortable place to be. I am not a person who is very tall, but I felt claustrophobic sitting in the back seat. I think it has to do with the way the seats are placed in relation with the front seats and also the lower roof is making it bad. I don’t remember feeling this way sitting in any other car’s backseat.
Boot space: it looked good enough for me and I think it’s more or less same as Creta.

Overall I felt it’s a good package. The decision to give only 2 airbags for automatic is going to come back and bite skoda in the long run.
I remember someone else also talking about feeling claustrophobic in the back seats. Not sure if the feeling is more generic or limited to a certain set of people.

Last edited by SBM3J : 2nd July 2021 at 13:39. Reason: Typo
SBM3J is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:40   #679
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sharing a review for 1.0 Manual (most reviews for 1.0AT/1.5 DSG).

Praises-
Ride quality
Handling
Performance

Criticizes-
Interior quality
Refinement
Un-Skodaness (w.r.t Build)
Interior space (w.r.t. width at rear)

Last edited by 07CR : 2nd July 2021 at 13:41.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:06   #680
BHPian

Strange how this thread from past couple of posts is turning in favour of Skoda after people have been going and checking out the car in person. Just proves the age old saying “ never judge a book by its cover “.
I am too eyeing the manual ambition 1.0 variant. Just waiting for the weekend to hit and then personally go n check her out in person.
speedfreak01 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:31   #681
BHPian

Had a look at the car the second time in a couple of days
Still hold the same thoughts as I had mentioned earlier. The only thing I can't get around my head is the claustrophobic feeling at the front, rear,and the lack of space(width) of the rear seats to seat 3 passengers. Both would be a deal breaker. I would seriously suggest taller folks to have a proper feel and test drive.
hareshjethwani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:41   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Had a look at the car the second time in a couple of days
Still hold the same thoughts as I had mentioned earlier. The only thing I can't get around my head is the claustrophobic feeling at the front, rear, and the lack of space(width) of the rear seats to seat 3 passengers. Both would be a deal breaker. I would seriously suggest taller folks to have a proper feel and test drive.
My family (4 adults+1 kid) all are under 5'5" (165 cm) and weigh between 50-63 Kg. Overall space looks OK but with child seat in place rear cannot accommodate 2 small adults. Kushaq has 3 point seat belt in the middle and we need to check whether child seat can be installed in the middle without intruding much in to 2 side passenger area. Looks like head room and shoulder room are 2 main concerns in Kushaq.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd July 2021 at 15:45.
Latheesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:46   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My family (4 adults+1 kid) all are under 5'5" (165 cm) and weigh between 50-63 Kg. Overall space looks OK but with child seat in place rear cannot accommodate 2 small adults. Looks like head room and shoulder room are 2 main concerns in Kushaq.
I think the contouring of the rear seats also plays a part here. If one contoured seat is taken by car seat, 2 occupants in the rear will be grumpy, no matter how they sit. Had it been a flat bench, the usable rear seat area would have increased a bit.
headbanger is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 16:00   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
I think the contouring of the rear seats also plays a part here. If one contoured seat is taken by car seat, 2 occupants in the rear will be grumpy, no matter how they sit. Had it been a flat bench, the usable rear seat area would have increased a bit.
Yes exactly, you can look at the Motoroctane video where the middle passengers head is almost touching the roof because of the same reason.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2021 at 19:27. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd July 2021, 16:58   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
You can go against the tide and pick up what the market has dropped, be prepared for a long ownership period, dicey service and disastrous depreciation. No diesel, overpriced automatics with less airbags and skoda service, looks like a clear winner.
I don't know what most people think, but as someone who enjoys driving cars and in an enthusiast forum, we are more discussing features and options rather than driving dynamics, best of great driving cars we have in each segments and essentially, where we get the most 'joy in driving'.

We have to remember that our responses here is exactly what Hyundai and Kia would be thrilled to see and love to read. They want us to keep focus on how long and wide the sunroof is, how the camera feed when we flip the indicator stalk, etc. (and I'm not even saying great driving cars have to be devoid of any comfort features).

Kushaq has a major, major flaw (no 6 airbags on Style AT), but if we're more concerned of the roof liner and not having bigger sunroof, then we'll only get such type of products in the market. And slowly become 'feature fans' instead of driving enthusiasts. We then cannot be surprised or claim we don't have good driving cars anymore, years from now.

Just something we can all think about..?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd July 2021 at 19:38. Reason: quoted post edited.
k_ajay is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:10   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
In the video they smartly just moved luggages out of Creta and didnt even try to fit all . Creta can easily accommodate all of them used in the video. They even mentioned lower loading lip as an advantage with Kushaq

I am attaching the photos from the video to demonstrate how Creta's boot could have been better utilised. It definitely has got more depth in boot to accommodate more odd items and carry bags
After spending an year with 2020 Creta, the bitter reality is that that boot space is severely limited. It is simply too small to be usable. Not that it matters to me, but I’ve been using my car as a 2 seater for the past 6 months.
sarav100 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:29   #687
BHPian

Ok I’m asking this as an outright noob. I cannot understand why the Ambition 1.0 TSI MT is the best variant to pick. I’d have thought it should be the Style 1.0 TSI MT. The latter has 6 airbags over just 2 in the Ambition. It also has a Sunroof. I know that the purists on the forum look down their noses at Sunroofs but whenever I’ve test driven a car with a sunroof sitting on the rear seat, I thought the feeling of space and openness it offers, even when the glass is closed, is immense. A view to the skies is always sought out, which is why Penthouses and terrace flats have their charm. Would love to have this forum educate me on why Ambition over Style if cost isn’t a parameter to be considered in the equation
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:50   #688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Ok I’m asking this as an outright noob. I cannot understand why the Ambition 1.0 TSI MT is the best variant to pick. I’d have thought it should be the Style 1.0 TSI MT.
You are correct. Active to Ambition jump fall short in features with respect to the price they are asking for, but Ambition to Style increase is justified and they offer enough features for the price they are asking.

In Style you get (1.8L over Ambition):

Bigger and nicer wheels
4 extra airbags
Sunroof
Leather seats
Ventilated front seats
Skoda music system with subwoofer
Push button start stop with keyless entry
Full LED tail lamps
Hill hold control
Wireless charging
Auto lamps
Auto wipers
Auto dimming internal mirror
TPMS
Anti theft alarm
+
few minor exterior and interior features

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd July 2021 at 18:08.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:54   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armumbai View Post
Ok I’m asking this as an outright noob. I cannot understand why the Ambition 1.0 TSI MT is the best variant to pick. Would love to have this forum educate me on why Ambition over Style if cost isn’t a parameter to be considered in the equation
It's only because of the price and the relative VFM quotient.
nitkel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:42   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
we are more discussing features and options rather than driving dynamics, best of great driving cars we have in each segments and essentially, where we get the most 'joy in driving'.
Can't agree more

Driving experience and refinement are aspects which cannot be measured on comparative tables and are characteristic priorities of a mature market, whose specs we drool over.

Sophisticated suspension, sound deadening and safety make way for comfort and convenience features here to keep costs in control, the absence of which are not easily perceived. OEMs know this as consumer behaviour of our market and that is exactly what Skoda has done in the Kushaq and probably less so in an Octavia. I do not judge consumers who hanker for features but the latter group has it tough unless one can really stretch budgets

I wish every prospective buyer will judge a car only after a test drive, so as to have a reasonable market for cars which drive well at reasonable budgets
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed