Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2021, 17:46   #646
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Our country gets most of its electricity from coal. So, if I get an EV, I'll simply be moving the source of pollution from cities to the oil fields.

I've said read this on a different thread: buying an EV does nothing for the environment, unless the electricity used is off a renewable resource. In India, buy it for kicks or as a statement, sure. But that ain't making you pro-environment.

Not to mention, buying an EV brings it's own set of limitations and unknown reliability concerns (3-4 years down the lane)
This may be off topic and I'll stop with this point. India already generates 38% of its energy from renewable sources. The last year has shown a huge jump in that percentage. Also moving air pollution away from cities is certainly a good thing.

Nexon EV's Chennai OTR price is only 15 lakhs and gives comparable performance, space and comfort to a car a lot more expensive. Our government gives us many monetary incentives to buy one too. Kushaq 1.5 DSG will cost upwards of 20 lakhs OTR Chennai.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene...nergy_in_India

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 1st July 2021 at 17:49.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:47   #647
BHPian

In 2013, I upgraded from a Santro to Ecosport. It felt a real upgrade. Santro was a smooth car no doubt but Ecosport was way ahead in power, build, handling, presence, well, almost all aspects. I have been looking for the next step since three years. Creta was appealing but didnt seem an upgrade. Then I was eagerly waiting for Harrier and even prebooked. After seeing the initial reviews I was not confident to go ahead. I still haven't cancelled the booking! With the pandemic situation, there was no real need for a car, forget the upgrade. Recently I am also bitten by the Kushaq/Taigun bug and am following eagerly these threads. Though I am yet to see these cars or drive, I already have a feeling they are not going to be upgrades from Ecosport. I will probably wait for XUV700 and then choose between new Harrier/XUV700 though I really don't need the third row. In any case, I dont see the possibility of crunching miles in the next few months, so I can wait.
vivek_lo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:59   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Come on Zac/Skoda India, do the Simply Clever thing you are well known to do and give the damn 6 Airbags in ALL top-end variants and give the keyboard warriors some rest!

Some like this,
Skoda Kushaq Review-meals.jpg

and some like this,
Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot-20210701-222419-333-pinterest.png

For how many more pages are people going to argue between MORE and FINE? Just pick what you like and move on.
kiku007 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 18:30   #649
BHPian

New video from cardekho comparing the Kushaq and the Creta.

Kushaq has better insulation, better ride over broken roads, better usable boot space and overall a more premium feel.

Creta on the other hand clearly has the space/size advantage and easily wins the features battle.

To each his own!

Let's wait for the GNCAP test results for both cars before drawing anymore battlelines.

John316_WRC is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:21   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
1. A lot has been said about creta's build quality being inferior to kushaq, Well I've personally crash tested New creta at 50kmph into an electric pole, pole broke into to two, front end of creta absorbed all of the impact. Thanks to airbags, came out without a scratch.
Or it maybe that the pole was poorly built
This is a new kind of crash testing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvv View Post

Premium Interiors - Let down
Best in next segment features - let down

So is Kushaq really a product worthy of what Skoda stood for?

I also request esteemed members of this forum to refrain from making claims that "2 Airbags and solid build" is better than "6 airbags and poor build", unless they have evidence and scientific proof to support the claim. This forum board has many readers who take every post at face value. We could be misguiding them. Let's not comment on perceived safety at the cost of being factually incorrect.
Just saw the video posted above in the thread, the reviewer mentions multiple times that Kushaq has a more premium cabin feel than Creta.

I guess the assertion regarding 2/6 airbags + Flimsy/Solid build is more reasonable (and I guess conventional wisdom) than crash testing being posted on this thread! And you actually have members subscribing to that as a reliable word on safety in this thread only! That I would think is absolutely dangerous.
abhishek_hch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:34   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
For how many more pages are people going to argue between MORE and FINE? Just pick what you like and move on.
How about they offer both MORE and FINE together, just like they did with their earlier offerings like Octavia (Prefacelift) and Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
I guess the assertion regarding 2/6 airbags + Flimsy/Solid build is more reasonable (and I guess conventional wisdom) than crash testing being posted on this thread! And you actually have members subscribing to that as a reliable word on safety in this thread only! That I would think is absolutely dangerous.
Just for the safety perspective, I actually look at it this way-

1) India specific built Skoda Kushaq, gets 2 airbags in the preferred trim and is not crash tested yet
2) Hyundai Creta gets 6 airbags in it's top trims, and is not crash tested.

I definitely would feel safer in the car with more airbags in this scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_lo View Post
but Ecosport was way ahead in power, build, handling, presence, well, almost all aspects. I have been looking for the next step since three years. Creta was appealing but didnt seem an upgrade. Recently I am also bitten by the Kushaq/Taigun bug and am following eagerly these threads. Though I am yet to see these cars or drive, I already have a feeling they are not going to be upgrades from Ecosport.
That is the price of buying a Ecosport! Nothing in the immediate upper segments feels like an upgrade!

Last edited by 07CR : 1st July 2021 at 19:56.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:10   #652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
This may be off topic and I'll stop with this point. India already generates 38% of its energy from renewable sources. The last year has shown a huge jump in that percentage. Also moving air pollution away from cities is certainly a good thing.
NexonEV instead of a proper car like Kushaq, Hmm, you are going to lose friends over such advice. You see over the years people have got used to parking the vehicle overnight, turning the key the next morning and be on their way, perhaps pop into the fuel bunk once in a few weeks - super convenient. EVs are quite some way far from being a car, forget about drag race.

38% is the installed capacity of renewables - stuff that is sitting idle, when thermal power plants themselves are running under utilized by a lot (economics - or the lack of it) , why would they increase renewables?

As you may know historically EVs got overtaken by ENGINES, they can take organic matter and produce energy - this is magic or witchcraft aka science. The genius of this invention is really lost on the present generation unfortunately.

While I am convinced that Kushaq is perhaps Skoda`s best effort on our soil yet and being fully aware of its shortcomings, Nexon EV is not the answer - to anything.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:16   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
How about they offer both MORE and FINE together, just like they did with their earlier offerings like Octavia (Prefacelift) and Superb
Well said! Sadly these days we don't get everything we want.

Quote:
I definitely would feel safer in the car with more airbags in this scenario.
But here's the thing, more airbags doesn't always mean more safety. Few important points that make up the safety of any car are:
  1. Crumple zones
  2. Anti-roll bars
  3. Passenger safely cage/zone
  4. Structural safety members used (type of steel etc.)
  5. Passengers & drivers wearing seat belts, Etc.
Both the Kushaq and the Creta do have these important structural elements. Now how they translate into crash test results is anyone's guess.

To be fair to the Kushaq, right from the base model it gets
  • ESC, ABS, EBD
  • Multi Collision Breaking
  • Electronic Differential Lock system
  • Break disc wiping
  • Roll over protection
I am in no way saying the Kushaq is safer than the Creta because of the presumed better build quality.
I feel there is a POSSIBILITY that a Kushaq with 2 airbags, could end up getting a better GNCAP score than a Creta/Seltos. Still the wise & best way is to wait for the test results. Remember the humble Tiago? It cost's a fraction of the Seltos, but it has a four star GNCAP score.
Airbags alone don't make a car safe.
John316_WRC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:19   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
New video from cardekho comparing the Kushaq and the Creta.

Kushaq has better insulation, better ride over broken roads, better usable boot space and overall a more premium feel.

Creta on the other hand clearly has the space/size advantage and easily wins the features battle.

https://Youtu.be/0JGbovKODOY
The comparison videos are starting to come out. This will probably help many of the fellow commentators. But wow, the pure activity is mind boggling on the thread

Couple of points after watching the comparison video:
1) Boot space: I remember Zac emphasizing about "usable" 385L and he wasn't exaggerating.
I have to admit, Kushaq definitely wins here. Great space mangamenet

2) Stance: In the video, at 9:47, both cars are standing next to each other. Not sure if its the camera angles, but Kushaq doesn't seem as small as it appeared from all the comments. It looks good actually, especially the rear styling. But again, looks are subjective

3) Feature list: It was nice that the host specifically showcased all the "common" features. Till now, reading all the posts on the forum, it felt like Kushaq was way behind Creta. But honestly, Kushaq has got a good list, and a very usable one at that (I personally am not a fan of sunroofs)

4) Ride handling & comfort: Looks like CarDekho is calling it for Kushaq. Can't wait to do a TD myself

5) Traction Modes: Honestly, I find them gimmicky (personal opinion). Even when I ask my friends who have these traction modes, how much do you use them, its not even 5% of the time. Atleast for urban dwellers, where do you use it? I think Kushaq can go anywhere a Creta can. The difference comes at FWD vs RWD (to some extenet) vs AWD (major difference).

As someone who will be in the market for a new car next year, in this segment, I am waiting for Kushaq (and Taigun) to hit the road & watch it perform over the next few months.

Should we expect an improvement in the incumbent Style variant, or a new Style+ later... I hope so!

Will it lead to a higher price ---> sure!
Will there be a market for it? ---> I would like to bet on it.
But will it give competition to Korean Twins in sales figures? ---> No chance and I don't think Skoda is expecting that

To wrap up, this review did provide some good insights, and visually.

Now, lets wait and get ready for TDs
VT-RNS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:42   #655
BHPian

Being the last day of my vacation at my hometown today, me and my parents decided to go take test drives of a few cars.

Things we were looking for:
1. A good petrol engined CSUV
2. Must have Android auto.
3. Comfortable seating for 5.10 feet drivers.
4. Rear legroom that doesn't make us miss our Captiva.
5. Rear A/C vents.
6. Electronically foldable OVRMs.

The car mainly would be used by my parents with my sister taking the backseat sometimes. And my dad drives every weekend to our native place in Vapi from Mumbai.

We started with taking a test drive of the XL6 and Harrier. Both were too big and honestly, for a family for 3, as I don't stay in mumbai, our Captiva was always too huge.

We had previously taken test drives of the seltos and the Creta and having owned other Korean cars before, we were not a fan the quality and handling of Hyundai cars.

So next was taking a test drive of the Kushaq. We went to JMD skoda at Andheri and they had a 1.0 TSi AT for test drive.

Me and my dad drove the car and loved the ride quality and the handling. The 1.0 TSI is an explosive engine. The interiors are top notch, and so is the quality of the paint job and fit and finish. The suspension is much much better than the Koreans.

Having had a hassle free experience of owning a Skoda Octavia Rider for a decade, and ignoring all the comments on this thread that I've been reading in the last few days, we went heart over head and booked the Kushaq in Ambience trim, in Red color!

My dad mostly has a sedate driving style. And having survived a crash in a car with two airbags, we decided we would let go the extra airbags.

Now looking forward for the delivery month. Will be making a detailed post once we get the delivery.

I would again like to say, this is a very well built car and the quality of materials speak for itself. No wonder they priced it above it's competitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img20210701171017.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20210701171006.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20210701160213.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-img20210701160204.jpg  

varun_ro is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 23:07   #656
BHPian

Everybody was condoning Skoda for the smallish boot. Compare to the creta in above video, it got a crater size boot ��. Can someone shed some light if the auto industry has volumetric measurement standards or not?
Old 1st July 2021, 23:26   #657
BHPian

Wow simply wow quality of this SUV. Try opening Creta door and then this ones door, there is huge difference in quality. Had a closer look today and it looks uber premium, creta looks so blingy and dated. Also interior quality of fabrics and dashboards feels so modern.

If I was in market for new car would have bought this or Compass for sure. Can we please not compare this to sub par Korean & Chinese products.

Btw since when did Indians start worrying about airbags so much, last I checked we cared about touch screen info systems more then Airbags. That said top end model should have had all airbags.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 23:44   #658
Senior - BHPian

Essential accessory kit costs ~ 18799/-. What is the content of this kit, anyone have the details? Hope we can opt out this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
Everybody was condoning Skoda for the smallish boot. Compare to the creta in above video, it got a crater size boot ��. Can someone shed some light if the auto industry has volumetric measurement standards or not?
BHPian @Behemoth posted this earlier
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5089052 (Skoda Kushaq Review)

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd July 2021 at 00:14.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 23:50   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Essential accessory kit costs ~ 18799/-. What is the content of this kit, anyone have the details? Hope we can opt out this kit.
I opted out of it. And the SA was more than happy to get it out of my quotation. Paid 1512000 for the manual Ambition.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-16251634179218066590424541730589.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_2021063015094274_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg  

varun_ro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 00:05   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Essential accessory kit costs ~ 18799/-. What is the content of this kit, anyone have the details? Hope we can opt out this kit.
Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_202107012358452.png

Quote:
BHPian @Behemoth already posted this earlier
Remember reading it. There were a lot of counter arguments but ultimately Behemoth turned out to be not only correct but spot on. Kudos to his understanding & efforts!

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 2nd July 2021 at 00:07.
abhishek_hch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks