Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 18:15   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

So everything is in line for the Kushaq and is the appreciation coming from customers who are opting for Manual variants with 6 airbags and missing the same on ATs.

Skoda Kushaq Review-smartselect_20210629180753_twitter.jpg

About 1.5 DSG with 2 airbags

Skoda Kushaq Review-smartselect_20210629182206_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th June 2021 at 18:23.
Venkatesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:21   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
As someone who is casually exploring an AT alternative for my 6-year-old S-Cross, the Ambition 1.0 TSI AT has (almost) everything I'm looking for, at a price point I see as reasonable, but missing what has come to be accepted as a given in this segment and price. Sorry, this is not done.
That is correct. Would suggest you to take a test drive before you make up your mind. This one looks like a keeper for me.
curiousnewbie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 18:44   #528
BHPian

I dont understand why we are comparing the pricing as a shocker.

The Kushaq or any VAG group car will never undercut a Korean offering because of the way the cars are built.

For those complaining, I own a GT Tsi with 2 airbags and an i20 with 6 and the Hyundai is absolutely horrendous to drive and the build quality is rubbish. The only thing good is the infotainment. Even the ride quality is horrible compared to the Baleno which also we own in the house.

The Kushaq will always be a better built and safer car structurally, and I would pay a little bit extra for no Virtual Cockpit, thats the last thing a drivers car should be worried about.

But, 6 Airbags would have been nicer not a deal breaker though.
devilwearsprada is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 19:14   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kushaq glossy brochure says :-

Quote:
The ŠKODA KUSHAQ with the ŠKODA signature grille and chrome surround evokes feelings of strength and safety.
Signature grille and chrome surround evokes feelings of strengh and safety - yes Skoda with only two airbags for the AT version gets the grille and chrome to compensate safety !

Quote:

The car features a newly designed multifunctional 2-spoke steering
wheel with chrome scrollers which allow you to control the radio,
phone, and audio. The multifunction smart display instrument cl uster
behind the steering wheel also adds to the design of the car.
Even many cheaper hatchbacks in the market offer these features ! What's so special ?

Quote:

A clever addition, it is designed to hold your bottles firmly in place, even allowing you to open them with one hand.
What's so "CLEVER" about this feature ? Even had the Maruti 800 been in production, it would have offered this feature today !

Quote:

REFLECTIVE SAFETY TAPE ON ALL FOUR DOORS Stay safe by staying visible even in
low light conditions.
Does this feature costing about Rs 40=00 on the whole need a brochure publicity ?

Quote:

LUGGAGE CAPACITY
The ŠKODA KUSHAQ's luggage compartment features a lot of space and practical elements, which help keep the car tidy and prevent things from moving around. The car with standard rear seats (featuring 60:40 folding split) offers 385 litres of boot space with 2 fixed hooks and top-tether points. The rear seats can also be folded using a
remote release button located in the luggage compartment.
Rear seats (split/ non-split) can be folded for the cheapest hatchbacks. Many from the competition offer 400 plus litres of storage space.

And coming to the ASC's role after the sale:-

Quote:

4-Year ŠKODA Warranty
• 4 Years/1 00 000 km manufacturer-backed additional warranty
• Promotional offer applicable in 3rd and 4th year up to a maximum mileage of 1 00 000 km, it remains with the vehicle even after changing hands

4-Year ŠKODA Assist
• Exclusive 24x7 non-stop assistance service for 4 years, unlimited km
• Assistance on-the-go any time of the day or night and anywhere in India

4-Year ŠKODA Maintenance Package*
• 4 Years/60 000 km, 4 periodic maintenance services at the interval of 15 000 km or one year (whichever comes first)
• Benefits redeemed at all authorised ŠKODA dealers across India, transferrable at the time of resale
With these above listed ASC roles let us hope the dealers behave better to redeem their images, now at its nadir. Let us pray to the Almighty that we do not get threads about Skoda bad dealer experiences and horror stories here on teambhp from Kushaq buyers.

Lastly, though a Skoda's USP's are:-

(i) its good track record on safety and driving experience with its solid build quality and

(ii) the badge is considered as premium in India

The brand does not have a good liquidity and resale value in the used car market though.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2021 at 06:20. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 19:41   #530
BHPian

Seems to be suggesting that they might offer optional 4 airbags in the future.

Adding a screenshot as reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-b731534b7b9846cc8a68cb95cce85c92.jpeg  

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th June 2021 at 19:48. Reason: Combined with your previous post
curiousnewbie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 19:42   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Well they are again doing the cosmetic changes. Would like to really enhance the engineer power. Would like to see fig like 150bhp and 300nm. I may fancy myself too much here
Old 29th June 2021, 20:02   #532
Team-BHP Support

Pricing is subjective of course, although it is no doubt premium. I feel a 1 lakh premium is not per se something prospective buyers will shy from if otherwise convinced. But the single biggest miss is cutting corners and putting 2 airbags in the top of line automatics.

There is no shame in Skoda admitting this and adding these airbags in the same variant spec, preferably without a price increase as soon as feasible. Although optically they may want to increase the price at least very marginally so first adopters who bought the variant don’t feel short changed.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2021 at 06:29. Reason: As requested
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:24   #533
BHPian

I asked Zac on twitter about the DQ200. Attaching his response I got below. Really appreciate his (or his social media team's) efforts to answer to laymen. Minus the spelling error, it's full marks for the responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-screenshot_202106281130112.png  

NotanF1driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:27   #534
BHPian

There has been a lot of chatter on the pricing strategy of the Kushak. May I humbly posit that Hyundai is a price warrior. It doesn’t make sense to compete with them on price.

More specifically, Creta platform would be close to getting fully depreciated (automakers in India earlier used to depreciate models/ platforms over 200k units volume sale). There is no way Skoda can match the cost structure Hyundai operates at as regards Creta. How Skoda can play this game is by offering a product that is superior and let it be appreciated over time. This requires them to survive and play the long game. God forbid, if there is a race to the bottom, Skoda has no chance. Case in point - Octavia outsells Elantra despite the massive premium. Any other pricing strategy wrt Kushak could have invited a price war.

This crossover segment has become very big with Creta, Seltos, Scross, Harrier, XUV500 and by little extension, Duster and Kicks. There is potential to further segment it. I am not sure if Kushak does that job. It makes the space more crowded. Purists on the forum may not agree, IMHO the Thar automatic nibbles into this segment.

Most global automakers are far too worried about their electric future. They don’t have enough R&D budgets to invest in the current market needs in India. It will be a little unfair to expect anything path breaking or innovative from the industry in the near future. Indian auto makers therefore have an edge. India will electrify at least a few more years after the world does. They can also make more India specific investments delivering more bang for the R&D buck. I would be interested to see what M&M and Maruti have to offer next, but that’s for a different thread.

However, I am honestly surprised by the interest the Kushak has generated on our forum. I’ll be watching the numbers of Kushak with great academic interest.
schwartz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:31   #535
BHPian

Skoda has broken away from tradition by offering a small boot and narrow width comparable to sub 4 meter crossovers. Spec for spec a Venue or Sonet can easily match in the 1litre turbo category. A smart buyer will easily understand what Skoda is aiming for. Took aim for Creta and Seltos with a small air gun. Ambitious I would say.
revmaxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:34   #536
BHPian

There’s been a lot of talk on segment comparisons, and quite a few attempts to build brick walls around segments and push cars decisively into one segment or the other. I don’t know if I endorse this endeavour because to me it seems as if segments are nebulous abstract ideas not capable of precise delineation. Nevertheless, I will cautiously defer to the greater wisdom the folks here have to offer.

I have a noob bunch of questions in this context with respect to the Nexon.

If you compare the Tata Nexon XZ Plus S Petrol and the Kushaq 1.0L Active, both of which are apparently priced within ₹5,000 of each other ex-showroom, how would you pick between the two?

Performance (numbers): On peak power the Nexon has an edge (118.3 bhp @ 5500 rpm versus 113.98 @ 5000-5500 rpm). On peak torque, the Kushaq has an edge (178Nm versus 170 Nm at the same range). The Nexon has 20% more displacement.

To those who are familiar with Skoda engines and how they drive, or those who are familiar with both engines: How much of a difference do you think the actual driving will have? I suspect that Skoda’s MT gearbox will be superior to Tata’s. So will the Kushaq be substantially more fun than the Nexon to drive? Also, isn’t the 1.0L TSI engine known for significant turbolag? From a practical standpoint, does the Nexon have better low-range power making it easier to drive in the cities and also reducing the need for downshifting in all conditions?

If those questions are resolved in favour of the Nexon (either substantially or in part), why should that not be the pick over the Kushaq? Even if the Kushaq is safer than the Nexon, it can only be marginally so, right? The Nexon isn’t by any stretch of the imagination so unsafe as to be comprehensively beaten by another car on safety.

Some people (like me) may disagree with the aesthetic choices Tata has made on the design of the Nexon. It is also possible that the material quality will be superior in the Kushaq even if it doesn’t conform to Skoda’s traditionally high standards.
The Nexon is roughly as spacious as the Kushaq. It is wider. Neither car can seat 3 comfortably at the back for long drives, but the Nexon can certainly do better.

On features too, this trim of the Nexon seems to have the edge over the Kushaq.

Is the choice between the two ultimately only a question of practicality versus driving fun? Or can somebody make an argument for the Nexon even after considering driving fun?

Would love to have some thoughts on this.
Old 29th June 2021, 20:42   #537
BHPian

ACI review of 1.0 AT & 1.5 MT
abhishek_hch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:43   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I dont understand why we are comparing the pricing as a shocker.

The Kushaq or any VAG group car will never undercut a Korean offering because of the way the cars are built.

For those complaining, I own a GT Tsi with 2 airbags and an i20 with 6 and the Hyundai is absolutely horrendous to drive and the build quality is rubbish. The only thing good is the infotainment. Even the ride quality is horrible compared to the Baleno which also we own in the house.

The Kushaq will always be a better built and safer car structurally, and I would pay a little bit extra for no Virtual Cockpit, thats the last thing a drivers car should be worried about.

But, 6 Airbags would have been nicer not a deal breaker though.
Same here, own a vento MPI and creta MPI at home. Although both are naturally aspirated, vento feels marginally superior than creta in all dynamics especially handling and inspires alot of confidence while driving. Though both of them are from different segments. Creta has become more of a goods carrier in our home than a car which pulls our hearts strings. The overall build, the great audio setup, the feel of the leather wrapped steering ( even after 6 years ) in Vento is so great to touch and feel.

I have a budget of 14-15 L as a upgrade from my vento and manual or automatic was never in my consideration. I just wanted a nice well put together small’ish suv for city drives and Kushaq fits my requirements perfectly. Although only thing I found missing is the sunroof in Kushaq’s Ambition variant as my 5 year old daughter is really fond of one and it would’ve been great to have one to enjoy during chilly Delhi winter nights.

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 29th June 2021 at 20:47.
speedfreak01 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 20:46   #539
Senior - BHPian

Parallel update:
Gave a call to local Honda dealer today morning and he brought home test drive car in the evening. Checked my funny parking space first and except for the length other things found to be ok. Went for test drive (narrow roads, steep slopes, two lane highways) and hyper active salesman was very nice to interact with. He did not hurry and we even went to the local service center to check all colors, variants in person. GC was my big concern but I did not face any issues during test drive. We came back again to my home to discuss the price luckily my brother was visiting my home. It turned out sales person and my brother are actually friends. Brother took a short test drive and gave a green signal (he runs an auto welding/denting shop) and knows about cars better than me. He then asked the sales guy to give an offer.

5th gen Honda City V ~ 13L OTR (incl extended warranty, NCB, discounted insurance, corporate discount etc.)
Kushaq base 1.0 Active ~ 12.5L OTR (pre-booked)

Whole test drive and discussions took 2.5 hours. Sales person requested me to visit their office to finalize the deal.

Now waiting for Kushaq test drive!

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th June 2021 at 21:08.
Latheesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 21:04   #540
BHPian

A wonderful thread, and like most, I am also disappointed. A few days ago, I mentioned that Skoda may price it reasonably, maybe 1.0 AT ambition around 14.00 lacs, which turned out to be true; the only difference is that it's an ex-showroom price . Wishful thinking.

The prices are definitely on the higher side, but now we cannot help much as it's not in our control. We just have to decide whether to buy or not. I currently own a Kicks 1.5 Litre petrol and pretty much happy with it, whether build quality, suspension setup or highway manners, everything is sorted.

But missing an automatic so looking for one. Had high hopes with Kushaq's 1.0 Litre ambition, torque converter but it's at least 1.7 lacs more than my budget. Have a strict budget of 15 lacs (OTR).

Furthermore, will Kicks 1.3 Litre (154 bhp) CVT be a good option as an alternative to Kushaq 1.0 AT if I am able to get it for around 15 lacs?
theguardian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks