Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2021, 14:41   #496
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
More than price the biggest disappointment for me was the omission of 6 airbags and TPMS from Automatic trims

The only possible explanation I can think of is that they are going to launch a Monte-Carlo edition sometime later and provide these features

This will most probably match the Taigun GTi
I think there is no explanation still to omit 6 airbags from AT variants when MT does. They can add more bells and whistles to the Monte Carlo edition but these are basic Safety features which is the biggest blunder. I can wrap my head around to digest other areas (price, finish, etc).
Old 29th June 2021, 14:42   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

My guess is Skoda did not want to exceed the top end of the price range of the Creta and Seltos by a large margin at launch. This way, they are placed in the same ballpark segment by prospective customers looking at top end models of both. They have probably reserved the L&K variants of both the 1.0 TSI and 1.5 TSI AT variants for a future launch (probably in a month or two) which will have all the missing features in the AT such as 6 airbags, as well as features not launched yet, like the digital cockpit. The top end 1.5 DGS L&K will probably be priced at 20 lakhs ex-showroom. If they had launched it now, Kushaq will suffer the same fate as the recent Jeep Compass facelift launch, which made it a niche player due to its smaller size and much higher price compared to segment competitors, despite being extremely capable and a fantastic product.

Each new launch these days it separating TATA and M&M from the overseas competitors. The latter are moving up the price ladder rapidly, offering less value for every rupee spent. The former are still launching reasonably priced and capable cars that have improved a lot in the last couple of years. When you compare what the Safari or Harrier offer for the price to what Skoda, Kia and Hyundai offer, it becomes quickly apparent that Indian manufacturers are getting better at the value equation. They are also on par or better technologically and in terms of safety, as the mStallion engine family from M&M proves. When we look back at the Thar 2020 launch, it did not seem aggressively priced then, but looking at the kind of price movement in Skoda/Hyundai/Kia, I am sure many are thinking differently now.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th June 2021 at 14:52.
84.monsoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 14:56   #498
BHPian

I will list down my reasons for why I am disappointed with the pricing of the Kushaq. Many of these reasons might be due to my own incorrect assumptions and reasoning. Let me put it down anyways. Members, feel free to correct me on any points.

95% localization - This catchword was the main reason I expected an attractive price on the Kushaq. The entire Skoda management team has used this term multiple times in every interview/presentation. In fact, in one of the Twitter question on the Octavia, Zac responded that there is very minimal localization in the Octavia. I inferred that it could be the probable reason for the Octavia premium pricing and hoped for a better pricing in Kushaq.

Rapid Rider pricing - Had Skoda not launched the Rapid Rider last year, I might have not had any expectation on an attractive pricing. Skoda did launch this variant at a price that was least expected out of a brand like Skoda and they did get a good response is what I feel. Whether they really sold good numbers or not is a different story, probably they were not able to scale up production, but I remember reading in our very own forum that one of the dealers mentioned a potential customer that if they are looking for Rider variant, they should not have any colour choices and should accept whatever they get because of the too high demand for the variant. So, I thought Skoda will strategize an an attractive pricing for 1.0 Active MT, Ambition MT and Ambition AT to get volumes and higher profit margin on the Style and 1.5 variants by making it dearer.

Learnings from Nissan Kicks and Magnite - Nissan was ambitious with the Kicks and it did not make a big fortune for them. They went back to the table and gave a tremendous fightback with the Magnite. The service woes which Nissan had in the past was overcome by the attractive pricing of the Magnite. Based on multiple reports, Skoda also doesn't enjoy very great ASS. So, I thought they might take a small leaf out of Nissan's book to somewhat try to overcome their service issues with attracting pricing and win customers back who are staying away due to historical service issues.

India 2.0 strategy and increase of sales/service outlets - Skoda projected a grand vision for India 2.0 and multi-crore investment. They are increasing the number of sales and service outlets in the recent months is what I read from Twitter updates. To me it looked like they are aggressive on their sales expansion relying heavily on the Kushaq to achieve volumes which I think is possible only if the pricing had been better. Well, now I am seriously not sure if they really need to open large number of sales/service points for the expected volumes of Kushaq.

In summary, Kushaq is definitely going to be the "go to" car for all VW/Skoda enthusiasts who are looking for a car in this segment. But, will their vision of India 2.0 strategy succeed with just their own fan base is an open question which only time can tell. Good luck to Skoda!
skarthiksr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 14:56   #499
BHPian

Mod note: Excessive smilie usage, please limit to 2 per post so as to no effect the readability.

I have been in 2-3 minds since long time. My ecosport is nearly 8 years old and with Delhi having a ban on 10yr old diesel vehicle, I seriously need to think about options.

Now, I am a kind of driver who enjoys the grunt of the diesel engine plus the good mileage feels good as well

Having driven ecosport for more than 1L Kms, I wanted something better (power) and different as well. And choices were - Thar (non-conventional), new ecosport, Compass (too expensive), Harrier (too bulky), Creta/seltos (Never liked Hyundai and sister). And hence with this had been eyeing Kushaq and Taigun eagerly although they both being only in petrol variants

Thar has two major problems for me - Boot space and ultra long waiting period.

New Ecosport hasnt improved in terms of power.

And now with current pricing of Kushaq, there is again a disappointment.

I am sure there are others as well who have this vision of near to perfect SUV (5 seater) which ticks all the boxes. For me as of now, I may stay where I am unless I get a very good deal..

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th June 2021 at 14:59. Reason: Smilies too many
Old 29th June 2021, 15:05   #500
BHPian

Positioning of a group brand in a market, is like having a number 1 and number 2 driver in Formula 1. Team orders are to be followed and you need to take one for the team or group in this case. By launching the Kushak before the Taigun, it is my opinion that Skoda has taken the harder road. Basis market sentiment and feedback of what people are saying, the Taigun will be tweaked to be tailored more to expectation. Soon we shall see similar equipment being offered in the Kushaq albeit a few months down the line.

Mr. Hollis has always been the one talking about India 2.0, localization, positioning whereas Mr. Gupta has shied away from taking this route in comparison. Eventually the shared platform, engines and many parts, altogether would account for their success or otherwise, across the brand. Return on investment would be seen across both these models. The outcome of that will translate whether or not we see a modified Polo and Vento replacement.

At a wholesale cost, 2 additional air bag units would cost them about Rs 10 to 15 K more per car not more than that. And I am sure they were keenly aware of what they were doing.

This launch is a pulse check and pulses are racing if this thread is anything to go by. Two quarters and we shall have some indicator of where this is heading towards.
NevGin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:18   #501
BHPian

If 1.5 TSI engine is what one wants, I think it makes more sense to spend a few lakhs more and buy either the Karoq or T-roc whenever they are available. Atleast I would be getting the proper European platform rather than the made for India- Evo platform which I expect to have some compromises for the sake of cost.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:21   #502
BHPian

Had been to the showroom to have a look.
Looks really good. Size is in between the Creta and Sonet. But does not look small. The roof lining looks cheap, plastic on the dash, door pads look average. The piano and the texture finish on the dash look premium. If they had used soft plastic would have looked very good with the above combination.
Fit and finish of the steering wheel is excellent,except the leather cover had some wrinkles which spoils the otherwise premium feel.
Now comes the part which I hated the most.
Feels claustrophobic ! Specially at the back seat the roof scoops out a bit for the additional headroom. The problem is the portion where the scoop starts off feels too close to your head and feels like it's obstructing the view in the front. Felt the same in the front even with the sunroof open.(which would add to the airy feel of the cabin). The rear seat is strictly for 2 adults and a kid as mentioned but the leg room is really good. My height is 6 Ft for reference. Seat covers fit and finish is below average. The overall feel of the cabin is like a hatchback.A few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-p_20210629_143837.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-p_20210629_143707.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-p_20210629_143217.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-p_20210629_143213.jpg  

Last edited by hareshjethwani : 29th June 2021 at 15:42.
hareshjethwani is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:37   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
No one would have complained about the premium pricing if Kushaq is a typical European built car.

However Skoda did a lot of compromises such as narrow cabin, less boot space, cheap plastics all around, cheap headliner/seat backs, no one touch up/down for all windows, sun visors without lamps, no frameless wipers, 3 parking sensors and lack of many convenience features compared to the competition. And along with 95% localization, this premium pricing unacceptable.
Exactly the reasons why I, after waiting endlessly for the price and features reveal, am disillusioned and confused.

I was eyeing the Style AT or manual variant of the 1.0. Just why we are expected to shell out so much for the top trim and still not have a choice of 6 airbags is inexplicable. And even if it's the manual, does Skoda really expect us to make those compromises they have done with the plastics, headliners, reverse parking camera, halogens instead of LED and so on.

Come on, if you are inflexible on the pricing, we too have some expectations on the product!!

So, this middle of the road approach taken means neither would the sales numbers rock the chart nor would serious, committed brand fans be satisfied.
RPM1706 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:56   #504
BHPian

Could be OT, so mods delete it if irrelevant.

SVP's take on Kushaq pricing and its possible effect on Taigun pricing.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/from...dtv_topstories
Old 29th June 2021, 15:57   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Fit and finish of the steering wheel is excellent,except the leather cover had some wrinkles which spoils the otherwise premium feel.
That's an eyesore, and will be in the driver's face every single day!

Never seen any VW / Skoda group cars get fit and finish wrong this way. Hope they act soon and correct all these before deliveries start.

The Octavia steering in comparison -

Skoda Kushaq Review-2021skodaoctavia04.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 15:57   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
So, this middle of the road approach taken means neither would the sales numbers rock the chart nor would serious, committed brand fans be satisfied.
I think the rocking the charts boat has long sailed. Has been gone since the launch of the feature rich Seltos/Hector and eventually the new Creta. It's the reality of the "premium" CSUV segment.

The only entity which has a shot at selling numbers would be Maruti and its long awaited new Vitara Brezza. Only Maruti would scare the Koreans and vice-versa.
barefeetdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:05   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
Now comes the part which I hated the most.
Feels claustrophobic ! Specially at the back seat the roof scoops out a bit for the additional headroom. The problem is the portion where the scoop starts off feels too close to your head and feels like it's obstructing the view in the front. Felt the same in the front even with the sunroof open.(which would add to the airy feel of the cabin).
Thanks for the update. What is your height?
Width is less, headroom is tight for tall passengers, and window line goes up - All these cause to feel bit claustrophobic. Is it very bad? I see that vehicle is parked close to corner walls, does it have anything to do with it?
Old 29th June 2021, 16:16   #508
Senior - BHPian

Kushaq accessories brochure will be available by early next week. Testing fog lights for Active variant.

Skoda Kushaq Review-smartselect_20210629161449_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th June 2021 at 16:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 16:22   #509
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey1986 View Post

New Ecosport hasnt improved in terms of power.
Ecosport facelift is just round the corner (Pics: 2021 Ford EcoSport Facelift caught testing) Would be interesting if they also make mechanical changes.
Old 29th June 2021, 16:26   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrödingersCar View Post
A lot of people had high hopes and expectations from Skoda.
One thing is apparent, the VFM package part (or lack of) of Kushaq has left people unhappy....

Not sure why.
If you please explain in a bit more detail, it would be helpful to understand your perspective.
Okay, here's my reason and thought process.

Today, we have <4m and >4m cars (sedans, SUVs and crossovers). Sub-4m category has some excellent options available, with some clever packaging but some compromise in space. But if someone is looking for more space, they have to look at >4m and while at it, pay more. If I was shopping for Vento and I didn't like it, shouldn't I compare it with Rapid/Verna/City and not the Ameo/DZire?

Kushaq was already known to be a >4m car and expected to compete in that segment. And finally, priced in the same bracket (may not be VFM). It would be unfair to compare it with cars a segment below.

All the above can be junked if someone is looking for a good 2/4 seater car and is willing to compromise on space!
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks