Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 14:45   #3466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Let me clarify, when in D mode the DSG doesn't shift up sufficiently to account for the increase in speed, meaning it holds a lower than ideal gear (low gear high revs) while letting the engine revs climb well into the red zone.. this is where it gets concerning (and really loud too) and you can hear the engine literally through the cabin in its overrev state for the gear it is in.
The gearbox must be having a manual mode. If the DSG puts the car in inappropriate gears resulting in extra-ordinarily high RPMs, I recommend you use the manual mode to find the suitable gears which provide you the engine braking while coming down inclines like ghats. Parking brakes wouldn't help in case of brake fade because the operating mechanism may be different for pedal and parking brakes but the same set of brake shoes/ pads apply which may become ineffective due to overheating.

Please never ever descend in neutral.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:46   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
Hope I was able to help. Don't worry too much and have a wonderful drive. Its a great car, and if you get the Ghat section without much traffic, you will have a blast. Even if you do get traffic in the Ghats, the section after the Ghats are really great(wide roads with the right amount of curves) to explore the insane midrange without having to push.
Thank you so much for the advice!
I visited Wayanad and even went up to Thirunelli, Banasura etc. and the car has a lot of power on tap for these roads. I never felt the need to shift from D on climbs. I even got an MID based 12.5 kmpl for the trip, which is great, given the heavy right foot and inclines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
The only time at which i take manual control is when I want to have some fun and be aggressive in the corners. Or when I know the next corner is just around the corner and I know it will have to downshift for the next(this again I do very rarely).
I made most of the trip in D mode, with occasional use of S and paddles. The roads from Sulthan Battery to the Wayanad arch give ample opportunity to try these out and so do the roads back to Kochi. After a bit, the acceleration on the 2 lane stretches become very very addictive!
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:01   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_guy_101 View Post
However, on some steeper down slopes, I tried switching it to M2 and the revs climbed to around 3500 rpm and the speed was around 35-40 kph (brakes or A-pedal were not pressed, I wanted to understand how the DSG engine brakes). I thought when you put the car in gear on a slope, without gas input, the car shouldn't gain much speed, but here I felt with 3500 rpm, even the turbos might be spinning.
This has to do with the nature of the engine also I feel, this is a somewhat free revving engine and I think this is the expected behaviour, if this was a manual 1.5 in second gear, I would assume a similar behaviour. In this scenario its safe to use the brakes to regulate speed and the revs (as you would have done in the manual), the engine braking will take some of the load and the rest would be passed onto your brakes. Just take a break, if you feel any brake fade (in 99% scenarios you wouldn't).

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th March 2024 at 20:42. Reason: Spacing and caps where needed. Minor typo too.
vinaygeorgeroy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 11:55   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Let me clarify, when in D mode the DSG doesn't shift up sufficiently to account for the increase in speed, meaning it holds a lower than ideal gear (low gear high revs) while letting the engine revs climb well into the red zone.. this is where it gets concerning (and really loud too) and you can hear the engine literally through the cabin in its overrev state for the gear it is in.
Just to add to the advice given already, you are supposed to stay in a low gear while going downhill and use the brakes carefully when needed. It is normal that you will be at higher revs than normal.

From the UK Driving Theory Test:

Quote:
Q: You’re about to go down a steep hill. What should you do to control the speed of your vehicle?

A: Select a low gear and use the brakes carefully
Have a look at this website which explains further: https://theorytest.org.uk/youre-abou...-your-vehicle/

Quote:
Driving on Steep Hills

On a steep hill, your vehicle will have a tendency to speed up. If you stay in the highest gear the car will also be able to go faster and you won’t benefit from engine braking. The combination of going faster and not engine braking means it will be both harder to stop and more stressful on your vehicle’s brakes. You should use a lower gear in combination with careful use of your brakes to ensure you stay at a safe speed.

Why do you need to choose a low gear?
Lower gears will slow you down quicker and allow you to benefit from engine braking. Without revs, your engine will be resistant to turn. The lower the gear, the more resistance will be created by the engine. When going down hill, this can be beneficial for your brake pads as it reduces the strain they are put under to keep your speed under control on a steep hill. The car will likely jolt if you move down too quickly through the gears. Be sure to use the benefits of engine braking gradually so that you stay in control.
So please please, never ever stay in Neutral on downhill sections, for the safety of yourself, your family and others on the road. Learn and apply!
s4ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 18:01   #3470
BHPian

Brakes engineer here.. Guys even in premium German cars we do not recommend riding the brakes while going downhill, you can forget about desi cars. There isn't enough thermal mass in our puny brakes to soak up all that heat. Since vehicle speeds are low and the duration between brake applications is usually less, the scope for dissipation via forced airflow is also limited. You will end up cooking your brakes.

As for Colin McRae style antics of using the handbrake to slow down, I have this to say: The hand of god is not slowing your car down when you engage it. You still use the (rear) friction brakes when you yank on the lever. They wont help if you've already cooked them.

Never go downhill in N, always use engine braking/ regen to help your brakes!!

Last edited by ashivas89 : 13th March 2024 at 18:08.
ashivas89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 21:00   #3471
anb
BHPian

Quote:
N when descending. .
Shifting into N while descending will increase the fuel consumption as well
Old 14th March 2024, 07:36   #3472
Distinguished - BHPian

With a lean portfolio and to differentiate from its upcoming Compact SUV the current models will get a deep refresh with a price hike too.

Skoda Kushaq, Slavia facelifts to get ADAS. Launch in March 2025

Slavia and Kushaq to receive various feature updates before ADAS 2.0 is introduced with the refreshed models.

Quote:
Kushaq, Slavia special editions and feature updates coming
Features such as 360-degree camera to be added
Skoda compact SUV to also get premium features
Driving dynamics to differentiate compact SUV from rivals

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:58   #3473
BHPian

Back in Dec, I came across a Kushaq Ambition 1.0 MT in Carbon Steel in Pune. It was a 2-month-old car (about 3k run) which I was able to get for a mouthwatering price in an auction. During the purchase, I thoroughly ensured it was a non-accidental vehicle and even was able to get a purchase inspection done by Zekardo. Even though it was the first time for them to take on a technically used car, they obliged and even the inspection guy was very friendly explaining as he was going through his checks. The report came out clean, apart from a couple of scratches on the door and tyre life at 85%. He mentioned it's common for new cars to be at 80-90% and not a full 100%. Another interesting fact he had shared was to check the sidewalls, if the car was used on rough roads then the markings are likely to be scuffed. After all this, brought the car home with complete peace of mind by 1st week of Dec.

The last 3 months were a blast driving the car right from Mumbai to Hyderabad then Vijaywada & couple of trips to Pune and Shirdi. City efficiency in moderate-peak Mumbai traffic is coming to around 11 kmpl (Dahisar to Goregaon NKP during office hours) and highway runs its 16-18 kmpl depending on the speeds. Ride quality has been excellent and despite the sounds from the suspension in deep potholes, it was never jarring.

Problem: For the last couple of weeks I have been getting a low 12V battery warning and the engine was also slow to crank so booked a visit to Mody Skoda Goregaon. Right on the day of the appointment, the car threw an Airbag error and after reaching the service centre the battery gave up and refused to start, talk about timing. The experience was okay but it took them 2 full days for a battery replacement. SA mentioned that a cable (need to check which one) was replaced as there was a campaign from Skoda. Got the metal pedals installed from accessories.

While the battery issue was unexpected in under 6 months, it's okay as it was a simple fix and the car was running fine for 2 weeks despite the warnings. There were some squeaks and as recommended on the forum, WD40 for the win. The manual driving experience has been effortless (the other car is an AMT) and it's one of the smoothest ones out there.

Oh, and he's called Bheem!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-b81e52650ae74a1a8808a5016814b0ed_1_201_a.jpeg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-c0eb8d647c224a00a9e31fdf8693ebd5_1_201_a.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-1292800a05b64c71be237c840dc4a5cb_1_201_a.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-fef72f226a464638a956bc2d85960ed7_1_201_a.jpg  

Skoda Kushaq Review-850c5dadc67442af8d7a57b40f19501e_1_201_a.jpg  

Last edited by aa1997 : 14th March 2024 at 11:17. Reason: More pics and some corrections
aa1997 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 12:47   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1997 View Post
Back in Dec, I came across a Kushaq Ambition 1.0 MT in Carbon Steel in Pune. It was a 2-month-old car (about 3k run) which I was able to get for a mouthwatering price in an auction.
Curious on auction part, where did you come across this auction? Is it open to public or some members-only group?
Old 15th March 2024, 14:03   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfootdriver View Post
Curious on auction part, where did you come across this auction? Is it open to public or some members-only group?
Spinny Auctions, people with business registrations can register and bid on cars. Once you have won a bid, a token amount is blocked from your account (5-10k) then if the auction price matches with the owner’s expectation the deal is done.

If you have the highest bid but it’s much lower than the owners asking price then there a counter offer process between both parties to close the deal. There are also cars with pre decided rates, a close bid should usually be enough for the owner to agree to it.

After the deal is closed, you can arrange the payment in 5 days and collect the car from the Spinny Hub. It’s primarily run for dealers but if you register for personal purchase the process is the same and you will transfer the ownership to yourself.
aa1997 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 09:06   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilosKage View Post
Air conditioning is poor (2/5) - Even with 3M CR70 sunfilm installed, the air conditioning is poor in hot conditions. Bangalore has a cool climate and that has
Great to know that you are happy with the performance of your Kushaq! Just want to understand more about your point related to A.C. performance. You mentioned that a.c. performance is not that much good even after installing CR70 films. Is it due to the in-effectiveness of the sun film or car a.c. itself has problem? I am asking because I am also planning to try for 3M CR70 films on my Creta and don't want this type of experience. I would be eager to know about other fellow BHPians opinion as well regarding this.

Last edited by graaja : 16th March 2024 at 09:27. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
Old 16th March 2024, 10:25   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1997 View Post
Back in Dec, I came across a Kushaq Ambition 1.0 MT!
Could you please tell which engine oil is put in your car or what have you been billed.
Old 17th March 2024, 06:33   #3478
BHPian

Some of the previous comments on using the DSG gearbox is down right worrying in regards to the safety of the occupants and for the life of the gear box.

No engineer here but just from couple of years experience. The DSG is just another version of an automatic transmission. For all automatics there are some simple ways to drive which should include the following

1) The selector as a rule should not be touched while the car is in motion. D or R to be only selected while the car is at a complete stop with your foot on the brakes. DSGs come with internal locks which engage and disengage the moment you step on the brakes while tye car is stationary. If you shift to N and D while in motion the gearbox will eventually fail prematurely and we will get another review about a DSG failure

2) The selector can be moved to a sports mode if your car has such a thing. In that case you could change gears using the selector while the car is in motion. But very importantly you can only shift from D to S/M and vice versa never to N or any other slot unless the car is stationery.

3) Hand brake is a big No, to be engaged only when the car is parked. What you see on WRC is a totally different game not applicable to normal road cars

4) Major worry here is that the engine Revs rise when going down a steep descent. Yes any decent gearbox is designed to do that. Gearing gives the much needed control over momentum of your vehicle. The key is you let the revs rise while driving downhill. You are not burning more fuel. Fuel supply is cut off since your foot is not on the gas pedal. You will notice the revs fall once you apply the brakes. So you can actually control the over revving by intermittently using the brakes to control the speed and the revs. So all in all you are splitting the job between the gearbox and the brakes to control your vehicle. Both components are happy.
This may sound strange but if the descent is manageable and the DSG is still holding on to a low gear and you want it to upshift just blip the throttle hard for a second it will immediately react and move to the next gear.

I hope this helps. Happy motoring.
KKapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:32   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya_ip View Post
You mentioned that a.c. performance is not that much good even after installing CR70 films. Is it due to the in-effectiveness of the sun film or car a.c. itself has problem?
VAG MQB IN2.0 cars have a very well known issue of having abysmally underperforming A.C's (not fully suitable for Indian conditions).
Sunfilms (however premium and high performance) can only supplement existing performance of the A.C., by a slight margin and not boost an already weak/underspec'd compressor.
Zinger_Winger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 09:44   #3480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapadia View Post
This may sound strange but if the descent is manageable and the DSG is still holding on to a low gear and you want it to upshift just blip the throttle hard for a second it will immediately react and move to the next gear...
Not strange, dangerous.

'Blip the throttle hard for a second' in a lower gear, going downhill, will both make the car lunge - and even assuming it achieves the desired upshift - will make the car roll faster (lesser engine braking in higher gear) and necessitate using the brakes to reduce speed again. True even on a mild gradient, gravity works just the same.

Stomping the go pedal going downhill belongs in the same no-no list as coasting in neutral going downhill.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks