Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2024, 01:29   #3451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Is it common for the Kushaq windscreen to fog up pretty badly? I had rented a Kushaq for a few days and during a mild drizzle, the fogging was so bad that I had to park the vehicle on the side and manually wipe the windshield. Tried different AC settings, opening up the windows, etc but it was bad. Haven't experienced something this bad ever.
Old 26th February 2024, 21:50   #3452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is it common for the Kushaq windscreen to fog up pretty badly? I had rented a Kushaq for a few days and during a mild drizzle, the fogging was so bad that I had to park the vehicle on the side and manually wipe the windshield. Tried different AC settings, opening up the windows, etc but it was bad. Haven't experienced something this bad ever.
No.Haven’t encountered fogging problems in my car as well as other kushaqs/slavia/Taigun that I have driven in last 2 years.Might be in your particular car that you rented.
Rjeevan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 11:58   #3453
Distinguished - BHPian

Kushaq Explorer:

Quote:
Skoda Kushaq Explorer. Based on the Kushaq Style, the model is currently being evaluated for introduction into the market. It gets Matte paint (optional), off-road tyres, aux lighting, tow hook, roof rack, head up display, 360 deg cams, and an upgraded reverse cam.
Skoda Kushaq Review-ghultvwakaafgf-1.jpg

Skoda Kushaq Review-ghultxrauaarpla-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 23:25   #3454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Will they bring the 360 Camera and upgraded reverse camera to the regular Style Kushaq and Slavia since the current one is underwhelming and this will be a massive upgrade.
Old 3rd March 2024, 13:56   #3455
BHPian

Fellow Kushaq DSG owners, I seek advice from you.

TLDR: DSG basics for hairpins and steep climbs

Context: I've not driven extensively on the hills before. I've taken my previous petrol MT car on some hills but it was mostly not spirited driving. I have used my Kushaq on ghat sections of highways like the roads near Krishnagiri on the TN-Blr highway, but the gearbox does its job automatically here. Now I'm planning a few trips to areas like Wayanad.

I seek advice on some of the following scenarios:

1. Had to stop on an uphill section and start: For steep climbs in an MT, some clutch control and handbrake does the job, but the climb needs to be done in 1st till the slope levels a bit (my exp). The DSG has hill hold and creeps up with slight throttle, but should I switch to M? Otherwise it will rev to 2700 rpm on D1 and upshift I guess.

2. Taking manual control on DSG at low speeds: in start stop traffic or apartment roads riddled with speed breakers, I've tried shifting to M1 from D2. However, the car just auto shifts to D1 when you break a bit. Should I use the gear lever to move to M? Should I be concerned?

3. Taking hairpins: Normally in an MT, its best to take them in 2nd gear with slightly high revs so you have the power to go up. Whats the best way with DSG? Sports mode or manual control or just let it be?

4. Braking on the way down: The Kushaq brakes rather aggressively and there's no way to moderately brake and I'm not great with engine braking (esp on slopes - have tried it but not used to it). From forum comments, I guess manual mode works, but should I be careful of anything?

I'm going to be driving on hills after almost 5 years and seeing the posts about the torquey 1.5 TSI, I think I'm going to enjoy it. Thanks in advance for the tips.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 22:19   #3456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_guy_101 View Post

1. Had to stop on an uphill section and start: For steep climbs in an MT, some clutch control and handbrake does the job, but the climb needs to be done in 1st till the slope levels a bit (my exp). The DSG has hill hold and creeps up with slight throttle, but should I switch to M? Otherwise it will rev to 2700 rpm on D1 and upshift I guess.

2. Taking manual control on DSG at low speeds: in start stop traffic or apartment roads riddled with speed breakers, I've tried shifting to M1 from D2. However, the car just auto shifts to D1 when you break a bit. Should I use the gear lever to move to M? Should I be concerned?

3. Taking hairpins: Normally in an MT, its best to take them in 2nd gear with slightly high revs so you have the power to go up. Whats the best way with DSG? Sports mode or manual control or just let it be?

4. Braking on the way down: The Kushaq brakes rather aggressively and there's no way to moderately brake and I'm not great with engine braking (esp on slopes - have tried it but not used to it). From forum comments, I guess manual mode works, but should I be careful of anything?

I'm going to be driving on hills after almost 5 years and seeing the posts about the torquey 1.5 TSI, I think I'm going to enjoy it. Thanks in advance for the tips.
1) I take this road regularly as well as multiple other Ghats and wouldn't fret too much thinking about this. I just let the AT do its job, the D1 in the DSG is pretty short geared and for most moderate ghat climbs(like Wayanad that you suggested), it will shift to D2 and continue in D2 without any strain. One issue with shifting to M1 is that you might forget about this sometimes and might realise this only when the engine booms, since you have suggested that you haven't driven in ghats for a long time, I personally it would again be better to concentrate solely on the road and not let these other things distract you. The cars are designed to handle it. P.S if there is a lot of stop and go traffic (which sometimes happens in Wayanad), do consider shifting the gear to N or P as prefered and using the handbrake, instead of trying to fill every inch of gap that opens up. This greatly reduces DSG strain and reduces heating up chances.

The only time at which i take manual control is when I want to have some fun and be aggressive in the corners. Or when I know the next corner is just around the corner and I know it will have to downshift for the next(this again I do very rarely).

2) Here again, I usually let the car do what it wants, I believe you are worried about the clutch strain with too much downshifting and upshifting (I am not knowledgable enough to comment on what is the exact best approach on this, as I have read posts supporting either side). If you really want the car to be kept in gear 1, maybe one thing you can do is to put the Gear in S mode and try M, S in general also holds the gears much longer before shifting and If this is not enough then M1 from S.

3) I would let it be. However if the road permits, I would ideally take it in one smooth go, so that no shifting happens in between, putting it in S helps so that it doesn't upshift too fast. However the gear shifting can get sharper in S for the fellow passengers in S

4) The kushaq engine breaks kind of descent when going downhill and doesn't upshift too fast from my observation, if you are not accelerating, both in D and even more in S. However if this is not enough and you would like for it to go slower, please do use paddle shifters to go the right M gear. Not only does it make the car go down smoother, it will also reduce your need to use the brake and reduce the chance of brake fade.
Also as an additional pointer, the issue with Kushaq brakes are its very early bite point, don't worry too much, you will get the hang of it as you keep driving it more. I was also not able to use the brakes that smoothly initially but it grew on me quite well over the time.

Hope I was able to help. Don't worry too much and have a wonderful drive. Its a great car, and if you get the Ghat section without much traffic, you will have a blast. Even if you do get traffic in the Ghats, the section after the Ghats are really great(wide roads with the right amount of curves) to explore the insane midrange without having to push.
vinaygeorgeroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 22:23   #3457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have never experienced this one, quite strange. The only time this happened to me in the Kushaq was when I accidentally switched the AC off (stupid touchbar issues). It took me a while to realise that I had accidentally touched the button for AC and it was just the blower that was working(I was in a hillstation so the temperature drop wasn't obvious). By any chance, could this have happened to you ?
However this quickly cleared up once i switched on the AC and adjusted the settings to redirect the AC to the windshield for a while.
Old 7th March 2024, 19:43   #3458
BHPian

Completed 17k KMs this weekend while on the way back from a trip to Goa! So, this is a short review of my Carbon Steel Kushaq 1.0 MT!

The experience of a little over two years has been excellent and mostly trouble free. Haven't made any modifications except for the 3M CR70 sunfilm and the aluminum pedals

Below are a few points I have observed
  1. Excellent on the highway and ghats - 5/5: Most of the 17k driven was on the highway with around 2-3k KMs done within Bangalore city! On highways, it never breaks a sweat, feels planted and is confidence inspiring. On ghats, it feels amazing. If you keep the car at the right RPMs, it is loads of fun to drive. Feels great in the city too because of the light steering.
  2. Performance - 5/5: The engine is brilliant. I have felt that it keeps getting better as I drive it more. All smiles while driving this!
  3. Service experience has been excellent (5/5) with TAFE Access. Any minor issues faced were promptly and appropriately resolved. Overally, I have not had any major problems
  4. Apple Carplay/Android Auto (3/5) - Connectivity has been okay. I prefer using the wired version because it is more reliable
  5. Fuel economy has been good (4/5) - On my recently concluded Goa trip, I got a fuel economy of 15.6 KM per litre. One of my trips to coorg, I got a fuel economy of 17.95 KM per litre. Both were measured using the tank-to-tank method. On average, I have seen 8-12 Kmpl in the city and 14-16 kmpl on the highway
  6. Comfort (4/5) - Having driven continuously for 11 hours from Goa, I definitely was tired, but not fatigued. Comfort wise it has been great and I feel it should suit most use cases. Of course, it is not as comfortable as the Korean twins
  7. Air conditioning is poor (2/5) - Even with 3M CR70 sunfilm installed, the air conditioning is poor in hot conditions. Bangalore has a cool climate and that has helped hide this issue mostly. However, leave it in the sun for too long and you are being cooked on the drive back!
  8. Any regrets? - Just one that I didn't get the automatic because that would have made driving in Bangalore traffic bearable. Also, I would have liked the 1.5 TSI, who wouldn't . Other than that no regrets whatsoever!
Overall: I am super-happy with my purchase. If I had to buy a car today, it would be the Kushaq again!

Skoda Kushaq Review-pxl_20240303_0748383682.jpg
NikhilosKage is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 21:43   #3459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_guy_101 View Post
Fellow Kushaq DSG owners, I seek advice from you.

TLDR: DSG basics for hairpins and steep climbs

Context: I've not driven extensively on the hills before. I've taken my previous petrol MT car on some hills but it was mostly not spirited driving. I have used my Kushaq on ghat sections of highways like the roads near Krishnagiri on the TN-Blr highway, but the gearbox does its job automatically here. Now I'm planning a few trips to areas like Wayanad.

I drove Tillari in December last year on my trip between Goa to Belgaum and back. Tillari Ghat is famous for it's steep inclines and hairpin turns with narrow twists.

The best method suited to the DSG versions is by shifting the DSG into S mode when climbing and N when descending. Unless you are very comfortable with using the paddle shifters in M mode - it's best to use S mode.

The S mode ensures the engine remains in the best gear suited for the full range of revs available. In D mode, steep climbs are just not possible - especially because on most elevated altitudes common to ghats coupled with the incline gradient, it will struggle to climb as the gearbox remains far too low in the rev range.

Coming down, the DSG sometimes can get confused in shifting up enough - I've noticed it behaves differently based on the sensing of the incline angle as well .. In steeper descent angles, I found the DSG being unwilling to shift up as a result - with the speed increasing, the revs would shoot up in the lower gear that the DSG would hold. So - found it better to control by shifting into N and using the breaks or manually using the paddle shifts in M mode for the best suited gear.

Hope this helps. Might help to practice this if you can somehow.
Vandit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 13:59   #3460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

Coming down, the DSG sometimes can get confused in shifting up enough - I've noticed it behaves differently based on the sensing of the incline angle as well .. In steeper descent angles, I found the DSG being unwilling to shift up as a result - with the speed increasing, the revs would shoot up in the lower gear that the DSG would hold. So - found it better to control by shifting into N and using the breaks or manually using the paddle shifts in M mode for the best suited gear.
I believe this part that you suggested, Shifting to N when going downhill is a big No-No, in an automatic transmission, even in manuals this practice is discouraged(although i remember people doing this in the 90s), for the following reasons
1) You are completely giving up engine braking and relying on the brakes, this will heat up the brakes and lead to brake fade, which can be disastrous.
2) Let's say, you do this in a manual and shift to neutral(still not recommended), you at the very least have the option of shifting to the right gear and get the engine braking support, when in need. In an automatic you don't even have this option(Without kiling the gearbox, atleast).

Please don't practice the above, it is very risky. Please use the paddles if you would like to have more manual control.
vinaygeorgeroy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 11:06   #3461
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The best method suited to the DSG versions is by shifting the DSG into S mode when climbing and N when descending
Please do NOT ever shift to N while going downhill. It is almost a suicidal move. Keep the gearbox engaged & use manual mode to downshift if you want additional control.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 13:32   #3462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please do NOT ever shift to N while going downhill. It is almost a suicidal move. Keep the gearbox engaged & use manual mode to downshift if you want additional control.
Curious. Why do you say so? Is it because in the event of brake failure you don't have the benefit of engine braking?

I prefer using M in descent .. but depending on the gradient, I alternate with N.

What I've found is that the DSG has a hard time in D mode and the revs really shoot up when it remains in low gear and doesn't shift to the correct gear to account for the speed when descending. This I find alarming due to excessively high revs.. and for engine braking I'm concerned it may actually end up damaging the engine.

As a matter of my driving caution, I always stay alert to use the handbrake at short notice especially when in N.

But agree, M is preferred, just that it takes practise to keep the correct gear selected based on speed while descending.
Old 11th March 2024, 13:51   #3463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too right, the gearbox helps with braking and also provide power in case you need to accelerate out of a situation (you might find a lumbering truck bearing down on you). You also are over dependent on your brakes which might fade with the heat

Quote:
I prefer using M in descent .. but depending on the gradient, I alternate with . This I find alarming due to excessively high revs.. and for engine braking I'm concerned it may actually end up damaging the engine.
Define high revs! If you feel the revs are too high, ease off the gas.

Quote:
As a matter of my driving caution, I always stay alert to use the handbrake at short notice especially when in N.
If you were a fighter pilot, I would give you some slack on the alertness factor.

Foot brakes + engine gives you assured control and more progressive braking. A handbrake is to be used when stationary and only used to stop the car in an emergency. Stopping your car with a pair of piddling drum brakes which are subject to fade is madness.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:03   #3464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I'm no expert, but since I'd asked for advice on DSG tricks for the hills and just returned from a trip to the Ghats, I noticed a rather strange DSG behaviour:
When doing downhill on areas like the Wayanad hairpins, the DSG remains fine in D and doesn't really gain speed.

However, on some steeper down slopes, I tried switching it to M2 and the revs climbed to around 3500 rpm and the speed was around 35-40 kph (brakes or A-pedal were not pressed, I wanted to understand how the DSG engine brakes). I thought when you put the car in gear on a slope, without gas input, the car shouldn't gain much speed, but here I felt with 3500 rpm, even the turbos might be spinning.
Old 11th March 2024, 14:06   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

If you were a fighter pilot, I would give you some slack on the alertness factor.
You think I step on the gas in a descent?

You clearly haven't understood what I meant.

Let me clarify, when in D mode the DSG doesn't shift up sufficiently to account for the increase in speed, meaning it holds a lower than ideal gear (low gear high revs) while letting the engine revs climb well into the red zone.. this is where it gets concerning (and really loud too) and you can hear the engine literally through the cabin in its overrev state for the gear it is in.

Secondly, again, I think you picture me as speeding through the descent. I can only assure you I don't, and I'm certainly not fast enough to be burning the brakes.

I'm well aware of the need for engine braking, but like I said, I alternate based on my experience, skills and assessment of my conditions between N and M.

Even in M, if one isn't adept enough to keep shifting in the right rev range the DSG takes over and shifts to the lower gear to prevent the revs from falling too low in the M mode.. this I've found to be confusing at times as it isn't easy to judge exactly how low you can let the revs drop when in M mode before the DSG logic kicks in.

That's the best I can explain what I mean. But if this still doesn't make sense to what I'm trying to explain, well tough luck.. guess I should apply to TopGun academy.

Last edited by Vandit : 11th March 2024 at 14:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks