Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:25   #3046
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Hello BHPians, has anyone attempted installation of automatic folding ORVMs on car lock & unlock or got it installed in Kushaq Active model?
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:34   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Was nearing 15,000 kms, so I sent my Kushaq for its first service.

I had noted down the list of issues, which I shared with the service advisor.
  1. The fuel lid cover - was not getting locked while locking the car - Now fixed.
  2. Squeaky doors - Now fixed. They did not change the rubber but have put a tape, which has solved the issue.
  3. The driver's side power window - while going up, will stop on its own and go back in - Was fixed at the time, but now the problem has surfaced again. Will send the car back again.
  4. Wobbling after 100kph - I had this issue, ever since I switched back to stock wheels from aftermarket wheels. That tyre shop did not do a good job. So I chose to get it done at the time of service itself.
Then there were things, which I did not complain about, but were fixed by them.
  1. The aggressive creep mode - Has become a lot less aggressive now. Earlier, I used to literally ride on my brakes in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Not anymore.
  2. The backlight of the instrument cluster - Earlier it did not use to turn on during the time of low light situations, for example at dawn or dusk. Now it stays on.
  3. Software update Did not notice any difference in the UI. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Will check with the SE and share here if anything worth sharing.
I am sharing the invoice for the first service.

The total should have been ₹5227, but I opted for wheel alignment-balancing and dry cleaning, which cost me another ₹4928.
Hi Ashutosh, did Skoda fix the annoying power window switch for you? If so, how did they do that? It's just a big annoyance for me at the moment.
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:01   #3048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemaster View Post
Hi Ashutosh, did Skoda fix the annoying power window switch for you? If so, how did they do that? It's just a big annoyance for me at the moment.
They changed the switch.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 11:45   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
They changed the switch.
They have replaced the power window motor once. That didn't solve the problem. They are refusing to anything else now, apart from a software update. Should I push them to replace the up down switch? It's a big annoyance as I use the one touch up down switch quite frequently.
Old 7th January 2023, 13:52   #3050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemaster View Post
They have replaced the power window motor once. That didn't solve the problem. They are refusing to anything else now, apart from a software update. Should I push them to replace the up down switch? It's a big annoyance as I use the one touch up down switch quite frequently.
I was told that the problem was with the switch and not the motor. Wierd that they haven't done it in your case.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 14:03   #3051
BHPian

Quote:
I was told that the problem was with the switch and not the motor. Wierd that they haven't done it in your case.
Was it changed under warranty? Few months back, service centre here has told that there is no service campaign available yet and only software update will come soon. Is it possible to post a picture of bill if the switch is warranty replacement?
Old 7th January 2023, 17:26   #3052
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Kushaq 1.0 AT, the car was the Style variant. Since I am inclined towards the Ambition variant, can new owners confirm if the AC is an Auto Climate control unit with touch controls? And does the gear indicator display (D/S/N/R) appear on the dash?
Old 8th January 2023, 04:39   #3053

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hence this one in a million occurrence would be true for any vehicle so don't make or break your decisions based on such factors.
One in a million occurrence should be fine but look at the number of issues Skoda Kushaq owners have reported with such low sales figures and issues like EPC and the one I am facing with brake failures cannot be compared with issues like infotainment system or some irritating noise that other brands have. So if a different issue keeps in popping in every 12-15k car sales then it cannot be termed as once in a million.

Even I faced irritating brake noise issue in my Kushaq since day one which Skoda has started so term as operational issue which again is not acceptable, I have been driving cars for last 16yrs and have never faced such nonsense brake noise issues (search on youTube if you want to know about famous Kushaq brake issue). Still I was okay with such niggles in-fact I was okay when I got this brake issue very 1st time as I also thought that its a mechanical part and can fail but getting a failure in which car refuses to move is not at all acceptable that too thrice in 6 months of new car ownership. This clearly shows inability of service centre and technical team in identifying and fixing issue.

These car companies have taken given enough training to sales people to talk politely and sale a car at any cost but hope would have trained their service team as well equally in fixing issue.

We tend to avoid such issues till it happens with us, I too had a polo 1.2 manual before Kushaq and never faced any issue in 5 years if ownership and bought Kushaq even after hearing lot of VQ/Skoda reliability related horror stories.

But now as I have experienced their inability of fix issues and carelessness towards handling such severe issue, I won't trust a Skoda ever.
worldlife83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 12:05   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
if the AC is an Auto Climate control unit with touch controls?
Yes it has auto A/C with touch controls

Quote:
And does the gear indicator display (D/S/N/R) appear on the dash?
Yes you can see the gear indicator on MID
D1/D2/D3….. S1/S2/S3 …. R/N/P etc
Kaus2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 21:53   #3055
BHPian

Hi Experts and Owners,

I am in the wait of an SUV since some time now. I am an enthusiast and love to revv hard. Looking for an automatic. Live in Bangalore; Mostly City plus occasional highway trips.

Now, as my overall KMs run is low, Diesel is ruled out. I am looking for Turbo Petrol and mostly will decide between Creta DCT, Seltos DCT, Kushaq 1.5 or Taigun 1.5. My research has been via mostly Teambhp and Youtube reviews/ownership reviews but also some friend's / family's personal feedbacks.

The OTR for 1.5 DGG Style is ~25L OTR including extended warranty which is approx 3L more than what i want/desire, so had some question specific to Kushaq:

1. Space: We have a 2 year old daughter and we use Car seat at the back? I am given to understand we cannot / should not put the seat in middle, and once you have put the seat at one side, 2 adults cannot sit. My parents are retired so they usually come live with us and we do have the need for 2 adults at back on most occasions. Can some one please provide their experience or feedback on actual comfort?
--> This is a primary concern of shortlisting Creta because there 3 adults could sit very comfortably.

2. Mileage - Although not a deal breaker, as even today i drive for pleasure and "do not really" worry about the FE. But will a DSG + Turbo be a disaster for FE if i am not careful about it??

3. DSG gear box - have read and watched almost all articles, dos and donts, didnt find a single source of truth or a common pattern for failures/issues, so this is more of a generic question if this is a sure shot issue or case to case, considering I live in whitefield Bengaluru. (but can avoid school/office traffic, have flexibility in office timings)

4. Suspension - Again my research says that Kushaq is class leading in terms of bad road performance, much better than Seltos and Creta. Even better than Taigun. I hear Taigun and Virtus both have very hard suspension and bad roads can be tiring at the end of long driving trip. Can i get some real life experience here? (even from Creta owners, i might be wrong)

I have booked a test drive; hopefully by this weekend should have more clarity myself but i doubt 20-25 mins can give a real picture and hence reaching out.

As a driver, i am ok to let go Panoramic sunroof, but voters in the family are strong yes for that, so will not go there for now.

Thanks and Happy Driving.!
Old 10th January 2023, 23:54   #3056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav1817 View Post
Hi Experts and Owners,

I am in the wait of an SUV since some time now. I am an enthusiast and love to revv hard. Looking for an automatic. Live in Bangalore; Mostly City plus occasional highway trips.
1. Space:
2. Mileage
3. DSG gear box
4. Suspension
Aren't you getting any year end offers? People are mentioning offers upto 1 lakh currently, do enquire at other dealers too. This is the best time to get discounts. Just ask them to give discount on ex showroom price.

1. My brother has a kushaq, a 2 year old kid and parents too. So what he does he make larger people sit in the front. In the back with the child seat on one side 2 people are able to sit. See it depends on the size of the people too, although creta/seltos might be a bit wider, but would you prefer a 5 star rated car for your family vs a barely 3 star car?

2. Coming to the fuel economy part, that too depends on traffic, city vs highway usage, your driving habits etc. But on highways people have reported good fuel economy. The 1.5 TSI even comes with ACT technology which shuts 2 cylinders under less load. You will get similar fuel economy in turbo petrols with the same power figures. But the ARAI rating of 1.5 TSI is higher than 1.0 TSI.

3. Kushaq is coming with 4 years of standard warranty, 2 years of extended warranty, and recently they have announced extended warranty for 7th and 8th year. With the launch of the India 2.0 cars they had announced changes to the DQ200 gearbox which made it more reliable and fit for our country. Recently we haven't been hearing DQ200 failure cases as well. There are some practices to preserve DSG gearbox like shifting to N in traffic too.

4. Well many people including GTO have praised the suspension of Kushaq a lot, having the perfect balance of Dynamics and comfort. German cars are known for this only.

Get a test drive of the car and see for yourself, that's the most important thing, how you, yourself actually like and feel about the car.
Whatever you buy, just buy a safe car.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 10th January 2023 at 23:56.
yesyeswe is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 08:55   #3057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Space: We have a 2 year old daughter and we use Car seat at the back? I am given to understand we cannot / should not put the seat in middle, and once you have put the seat at one side, 2 adults cannot sit. My parents are retired so they usually come live with us and we do have the need for 2 adults at back on most occasions. Can some one please provide their experience or feedback on actual comfort?
--> This is a primary concern of shortlisting Creta because there 3 adults could sit very comfortably.
This is a very hard problem to solve. You are not supposed to put the child seat in the front seat unless there is a provision to turn off front passenger airbag. Keeping the child seat in the middle of the backseat doesn't leave much space for two adults to sit comfortably on long journeys.

Quote:
2. Mileage - Although not a deal breaker, as even today i drive for pleasure and "do not really" worry about the FE. But will a DSG + Turbo be a disaster for FE if i am not careful about it??
Good FE is one of the main reasons why lot of manufacturers are using dual clutch transmissions. If you drive sedately, you will get very good FE. If you drive aggressively, you will still get good FC compared to any other transmission including a manual when driven in the same manner. You can't be wishing to drive aggressively and blame poor FE on DCT. And yes, DSG does encourage sporty driving. This is a feature and not a bug, just as Hybrid/eCVT of Toyota encourages you to drive sedately.

Quote:
3. DSG gear box - have read and watched almost all articles, dos and donts, didnt find a single source of truth or a common pattern for failures/issues, so this is more of a generic question if this is a sure shot issue or case to case, considering I live in whitefield Bengaluru. (but can avoid school/office traffic, have flexibility in office timings)
DSG (dry type) is not a reliable transmission. Failure rates have come down but still very high when compared to TC/CVT transmissions. You most certainly have to protect yourself against a potential failure with extended warranty. VW group has a tendency to reject warranty claims for reasons the defy logic - though you should be fine if you don't do any aftermarket fitments including battery and stick to scheduled service. It all boils down to risk vs benefit assessment for each individual. I have a Polo TSI DSG and I'm ok with the risks.

Quote:
I have booked a test drive; hopefully by this weekend should have more clarity myself but i doubt 20-25 mins can give a real picture and hence reaching out.
4 adults + child seat on outstation trips is a really hard problem to solve though it looks doable on paper.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:53   #3058
BHPian

Yesterday, I took an extended TD of Kushaq 1.5 DSG. The following are my observations, especially in comparison to my ex-2019 Harrier XZ.

Positives
1. It is definitely a hoot to drive. The paddle shifters are a boon for enthusiasts.
2. The car is very agile and a great handler. Of course, Harrier is 1 size larger than Kushaq.
3. Even though the car is compact, there is more than enough space for 4+1. Of course, the rear legroom was less than Harrier but it was nothing short as well. I was able to sit comfortably (I am almost 6ft) at the rear with the driver seat set to my driving position.
4. It has almost all the bells and whistles one can expect in the market with very few exceptions like powered seats, etc. I did not check all/most of the features because I am not a gizmos person.
5. The ride was good enough, not exceptional though. However, it was still on the stiffer side as expected from a driver's car and Skoda.
6. The boot has good space management. It was good enough for a car of this size.
7. Upto 6 years/1.5L km warranty - one of the best in the industry. Even though sales the person mentioned that during the 6th year, based on the goodwill and customer relationship, the warranty can be extended to 8 years (additional 2 years). I still doubt how can the warranty be extended only to select customers based on the so-called goodwill.
8. The torque was as expected for a 1350 kg car. Personally, I felt underpowered purely because of the Harrier diesel effect. However, I don't have any complaints though.
9. The steering was so light and easy to maneuver, especially at slow speeds. The high-speed heft was as expected and good enough for an enthusiast.
10. Fit and finish were good enough. Not exceptional though.
11. NVH is well controlled.

Negatives
1. There is a serious downgrade in terms of quality. In fact, the airflow control knob of the AC vents felt so cheap that it can be compared to a Rs. 200 toy car that we get at the festival exhibition.
2. The cost-cutting is so evident. Harrier was way better in terms of quality. The plastic felt so cheap in Kushaq.
3. Somehow I felt claustrophobic inside the cabin (Probably because of the Harrier effect).
4. Even though DSG did its job to the T, the initial pick-up/response from the standstill could have been better. I definitely felt a delay in response from a standstill. I am sure the manual will not have this issue. No, I am not talking about the turbo lag.
5. AC definitely needs an upgrade. The full HVAC system was screaming at the top of the roof to cool the cabin. The temperature was set at 18. Even then, I never felt colder for the entire 50min TD. This is not even summer. Just imagine how will it be in Chennai summers.
6. The weight/heft of the bonnet was not as expected (evident cost cutting). The weight of the bonnet feels like it is 50% lighter than that of Harrier's. Even the door-closing thud was way better in Harrier. Harrier was way more robust.
7. I am not a fan of touch AC control.
8. The sports mode is literally a joke. The only difference is that gear shift happens at a higher rpm increasing the torque availability for the appropriate rev range to feel like it pulls faster. In Harrier, all 3 modes (Eco, City, Sports) are significantly different from each other. There is a power difference between modes. Only in sports mode, you will be able to utilize the full 170ps in Harrier.
9. I somehow felt the driver's seat back small (Again Harrier effect). In Harrier, I was able to comfortably sit with my back fully cocooned by the seat. In Kushaq, I felt my back a little squeezed to fit in the seat. No problem for short drives. I wonder how comfortable will it be for the long drives.
10. Finally, the cost. It is expensive (23.5L ONR for Monte Carlo DSG - 2022 pricing) for what it offers.

Regarding reliability, the salesperson says that for the past 2 years, the number of DQ200 complaints is significantly lesser than the old one.

For this price, overall, I am unsatisfied with the Kushaq. This is not a true Skoda. Except for the driving thrill which includes handling and ride quality (which again is not exceptionally good compared to Harrier), this Skoda is a serious letdown in many departments like the quality of materials, build, and AC performance, etc. I might as well choose another Harrier.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 10:06   #3059
BHPian

Quote:
The OTR for 1.5 DGG Style is ~25L OTR including extended warranty which is approx 3L more than what i want/desire, so had some question specific to Kushaq:

1. Space: We have a 2 year old daughter and we use Car seat at the back? I am given to understand we cannot / should not put the seat in middle, and
I don't understand why you can't put the child seat in the middle since you already get 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger as well.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:10   #3060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I don't understand why you can't put the child seat in the middle since you already get 3 point seatbelt for the middle passenger as well.
Does it have retention hooks for the child seat at the middle? Just the 3 point seat belt is not enough, the child seat needs to be anchored to the hooks as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks