Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 08:47   #436
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghShu View Post
Hello folks - I am facing a major dilemma. I am sitting on a Tucson petrol booking. I test drive a Tucson diesel variant today (petrol wasn’t available yet) and it was awesome.

I wanted to get opinion from Alcazar buyers on the engine performance? Is it adequate for say 4-5 people on board with their luggage? My usage is predominantly city drive for office commute plus a few highway rides for vacations and trips.

Any help/pointers are appreciated.

TIA!
I recently purchased Alcazar Petrol Automatic and had been driving Creta Diesal 1.6 Automatic earlier.

Only covered 100 kms so far, in city traffic as well as open roads. For the city this is a great car as the low-end pickup is really good and better than Creta I used to drive.
It picks up speed up to 60 KM/HR quite fast but then struggles a bit from 60 to 100.

The mid-range is not as good as Creta Diesal due to a lack of Torque. I have yet to drive it on the highway with a full load so can't really say much on this.

The Creta diesel was great on highways as well as mountains and I never felt performance drop even with 5 Passengers on board.

I will be taking Alcazar to the remote hills of Uttarakhand in October and would be in a better position to tell more about its performance later.

Last edited by born_free : 19th August 2022 at 08:48.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 22:13   #437
BHPian

I have booked the Hyundai Alcazar in June-22 - Signature 6Seater Diesel. Am yet to be allocated the car. The dealer has been pushing the petrol variant under the pretext that manufacturing of diesel engines (especially the top end variant) has been cut down, compared to the petrol variant.

what do you suggest? am a little worried with the fuel efficiency of the petrol variant and will be driving over 1500kms per month. While the 2 litre petrol engine does excite me - so at a cross roads in terms of decision making.
Old 19th August 2022, 22:29   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
I have booked the Hyundai Alcazar in June-22 - Signature 6Seater Diesel. Am yet to be allocated the car. The dealer has been pushing the petrol variant under the pretext that manufacturing of diesel engines (especially the top end variant) has been cut down, compared to the petrol variant.

what do you suggest? am a little worried with the fuel efficiency of the petrol variant and will be driving over 1500kms per month. While the 2 litre petrol engine does excite me - so at a cross roads in terms of decision making.
If you are not in a hurry and can wait then go with what you are comfortable with. Dealer would apply all sort so pressure to suit them but don't give in if you have time on your side.
Aviator_guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 00:18   #439
BHPian

Quote:

I had exact opposite problem in Delhi NCR, dealers were giving diesal variants immediately and quoting upto 10 months for petrol. This was probably due to less demand for diesel in NCR due to 10 year rule.

I anyway got the petrol variant of my choice in three months after booking in May

I did not go ahead with dealers trying to play this type of game and booked with one who gave reasonable delivery estimate.

I would suggest to contact other dealers too and also keep in mind that not all dealers are signature dealers. Best way to check is to go to Hyundai website and get list of dealers allowed to sell signature variant.

Another option is to stay firm, dealers generally push these tricks to someone who wants to get the car soon . I was ok to wait for few more months and that helped my case too

Last edited by born_free : 20th August 2022 at 00:26.
born_free is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 12:17   #440
BHPian

Took delivery of our Starry Night, Petrol AT, 6 Seater, Signature (O) Alcazar in June. Though I haven’t driven it much, here are my initial thoughts and buying experience.

Current ride:

2018 Vento 1.2 TSI DSG. It was on a 4 year company lease that was expiring in April 2022. Hence there was a need to get a new ride, even though Vento was loved and had just 17000 Kms on the ODO. Hence we were contemplating options as to what to do. Our last ride was a Verna SX (O) Automatic Petrol as well,. And we also own a Ciaz, MT Delta (2017) Petrol (now converted into CNG as well). We had to let go of the Verna at 4 year interval as well after just 16K on the ODO.

We are a family of 7 adults and one toddler (15 months) and my dad is a complete paralytic, so we need one proper sedan with full boot space for his wheel chair, as well as a sedan that is easy for him to get into. However, this time the itch to move to a crossover/SUV was also there just to mix and change things up.

Due to this, given that Ciaz was converted to CNG which meant compromised bootspace, we decided to keep the Vento. The Residual Value on Vento Wass around 3.4 Lakhs including GST, so paid that and kept it. Sent it to service centre for inspection and managed to get an additional one year warranty on it for some more peace of mind. Though I have had no issues whatsoever with Vento so far except for one malfunctioning ABS sensor, that was replaced under warranty.

That being decided and arranged, we decided to check the Psuedo SUV segments. The initial budget was around 20-22 Lakhs on road and started taking test drives in November - December. Cars checked:

1. Skoda Kushaq: This was the first car on my Radar. Though the rest of the family wasn’t too keen. And yet we fell in love with the riding dynamics, and sorted handling. We test drove 1.5 DSG, as one of our requirements was an Auto and I did not want to downgrade from 1.2 TSI Engine. The interiors were a let down though from Vento. I had still somehow managed to book the Kushaq and then the ORVM fiasco happened and it put us off as we need to fold down ORVM’s frequently while getting into tight parking spot at our society. Therefore having to fold the mirrors manually wasn’t just practical nor was desirable in a car that costs 21 big ones in Mumbai and hence dropped.
2. VW Taigun: Preferred the Kushaq over this, plus cheap fabric seats and no ventilated seats in the top end as well and the ORVM fiasco and this was out as well.
3. MG Astor: Loved the interiors, felt plush, but found three pot engine to be noisy.
4. XUV 700: This was in consideration for 5 seater version - but no 5 seater top end version and non adjustable rear seats put us off.
5. Hyundai Creta - Once we drove the DCT Turbo version of this car, and once family saw the huge sunroof, there was no looking back. The interiors were plush, good quality and the loaded version came with 6 Airbags, so this was right on our short list.
6. Kia Seltos - Checked this after the Creta and we were a divided bunch, some wanted Creta solely for EPB and Big sunroof while some wanted Seltos for that HUD. However after driving both cars back to back, Hyundai won on riding and handling dynamics.

So we booked Hyundai Creta DCT Turbo SX (O) on 27th January 2022 with understanding that delivery would take 8-10 weeks. Booking was done at Modi Hyundai. However come first week of May there was no sign of delivery and dealer indicated that it will be a few more weeks at the very least because of ongoing chip shortage.

It was at that time that we decided that we could live with Alcazar instead, if it was available faster. Since this car would be mostly be used by 3 or at max 4 adults, and no one would be in the backseat as we usually use our second car as well on long trips involving the family.

So we asked about Hyundai Alcazar’s top end Petrol version - 6 Seater. The car feels very Creta like to drive and even my wife who hasn’t driven crossovers before could handle it easily. 360 degree camera helped navigate and allay her parking fears. So we decided to book it. Mody Hyundai said that it would take 4-6 weeks for delivery for our colour - Starry Night. We kept the booking but also started looking at other dealers.

Just a few days later, Shreem Hyundai informed us that the car we wanted was in stock and could be allotted to us. I immediately paid the initial booking amount and asked ORIX, with whom we have an arrangement through the employer to proceed with Car Lease. We were given VIN and Chassis number almost immediately. The thread at Team BHP was useful as I discovered that the car was manufactured in 11th May 2022. I went with my brother for PDI while ORIX made the lease papers. Satisfied we gave them a go ahead and took delivery on 7th June 2022.

Buying experience - this was kinda impersonal when sales person found out that we would be taking a car through corporate lease and the person attending us realised that the booking wouldn’t be routed through them but showroom’s corporate guy. However the test drive and delivery experiences were satisfactory.

For accessories I just picked up mud flaps and floor mats and ORIX insured that we could get insurance through them, so it was easy.

Yet to pick up the extended warranty, contemplating it. The plan is to keep the car for 5 years and then change it once the lease expires. My running is less than 500 Kms a month. So we are unsure but will go with it mostly for added peace of mind.

The delivery incharge at the Shreem Hyundai’s Mahalaxmi was fantastic and helped explain each and every aspect of the car. Even made us download Bluelink and create and account and show how it worked.

So after 2 months and almost 1000 Kms on the ODO here are my thoughts:

Pros

1. The 2 litre petrol engine does the job well even with Automatic. There is an imperceptible lag before 1500 RPM but it doesn’t annoy. Even the ECO mode works well in the City. I have been driving around in city with Eco mode and it feels adequate. The 2.0 Ltr petrol engine does not feel underpowered at all.
2. The Auto hold function is a god sent in Mumbai traffic. I love it, and I don’t think that we can go back to not using it.
3. The finishing in the car is top notch, even quality of hard plastics are great.
4. The panoramic sunroof, though a gimmick for me personally, is something the family loves and adores. The drives in rains are more pleasant.
5. The Car feels really Creta like to drive, you do not really feel like you are driving a big car, and it helps.
6. I took the car to Lonavla in scary rains, and the car drove through the ghats really well even with 4 passengers and full load of luggage. Never once did the car feel under powered in any manner.
7. There was a 1.5. Km stretch in Patna which was like driving on a waterfall, as the road was washed away. The car handled downslopes well, but at one particular point at upwards incline, there was a slight hesitation and the car seemed stuck, but it picked up as soon as I put the car in ‘Mud’ mode and pulled through.
8. The AC works really well, haven’t had a complaint as yet. Will see how it works in peak summers though.
9. The mileage I am getting is around 7-8.5 in cities and 12ish on highways. I plan to do a Mumbai - Ahmedabad drive early next month, will get a better sense of highway mileage at that time. I do not expect to drive the car for more than 1000 Kms a month. So I am not concerned about mileage at this point.

Cons:

1. I feel the dead pedal is not positioned very comfortably, and it does get some time getting used to. I wish it was slightly broader.
2. No Rain-Sensing wipers. They were there in my Vento and feel great. I miss them here.
3. The car lacks outright grunt and power surge like my Vento 1.2 TSI. However, the 2.0 engine more than makes up for it.
4. No illuminated switches on the driver side for windows. Come on Hyundai - this is basic stuff, I wonder why it isn’t there.
5. I cant find way to open the boot of the car from inside the car. May be I just need to explore the car a bit more to find that out.
6. The brakes, while adequate lack the bite or feel, and are not confidence inspiring at first go.
7. The throw of headlights at night is barely adequate.

Overall, the car looks and feels great, and I will add more as I explore and drive more.

Warranty, I have not taken extended warranty, but will take it soon. Wondering if I should take it just for the 4-5th Year or take it till 7 years. Ordinarily I do not keep cars for more than 5 years. Will take a call in next few days as car is due for its first service.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st August 2022 at 05:37. Reason: Typo
Ays7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 01:40   #441
dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
Oh yes! My bad. I got confused as I remember some reviewer saying it as an Italian castle. It is indeed a Spanish one. Apologies @dew
No worries Nair Ji! This one is neither Spanish nor Italian but a Made in India Korean castle
dew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:09   #442
BHPian

Hi all. I am planning to do tyre rotation, as I am close to completing 10k on my Alcazar. With TPMS, how do I make sure the new location of tyres is updated in the software? Is there a relearning process?
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:26   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadbe View Post
Team,

I have booked Alcazar signature petrol AT 7seater in white colour and wanted to do the dual tone just like 6 seater version. I was told by dealer that they can do it in vinyl but asking for 10k. Need help from the team to know about the cost of doing the black glossy vinyl on alcazar roof. Should I do it from outside ?
Any inputs about the brand and price estimation.?
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:16   #444
BHPian

Once I get my Alcazar, it will be the first time I drive an Automatic, after 15+ years of driving a manual transmission car.

I've been reading a lot of forums on how to migrate from MT to AT, including threads on this forum on some dos and don'ts.

While a lot of you've advised (at signals or long halts) to shift the car to neutral from drive mode when auto-hold is engaged. While I understand this logic of unnecessary stress on the drive components and brake pads.

If I keep the car in Drive mode and plant my foot on the brake at long halt or signals, would it also lead to stress on the drive components and pads?
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:23   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once I get my Alcazar, it will be the first time I drive an Automatic, after 15+ years of driving a manual transmission car.

I've been reading a lot of forums on how to migrate from MT to AT, including threads on this forum on some dos and don'ts.

While a lot of you've advised (at signals or long halts) to shift the car to neutral from drive mode when auto-hold is engaged. While I understand this logic of unnecessary stress on the drive components and brake pads.

If I keep the car in Drive mode and plant my foot on the brake at long halt or signals, would it also lead to stress on the drive components and pads?
AFAIK, whether you keep the brake pressed or auto hold does it for you, in both scenarios there is undue stress on the engine and transmission. You can feel it when you shift to N from D while stationary and engine running. So it is always advisable to shift to N if stop is for a longish duration say more than a minute.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:27   #446
BHPian

Quote:

Auto Hold or Brake pedal, it is the brake pads that would finally take the load any way. For this situation, think like a manual car. If you are parked at a signal for more than 15 seconds - would you press the clutch + brake and hold the car (or) would you shift to neutral?

In my case, I shift to N, if the stop is longer than 15 seconds. For shorter spans I leave it in D. And 95% of the cases I use auto-hold.
Naetik30 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:37   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ays7 View Post
I immediately paid the initial booking amount and asked ORIX, with whom we have an arrangement through the employer to proceed with Car Lease.
Thanks Sir.
Would you be able to share the leasing details ? like monthly leasing cost etc.

Thanks.
RROD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:45   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
Thanks Sir.
Would you be able to share the leasing details ? like monthly leasing cost etc.

Thanks.
Hi,

The entire exercise was done and managed by the employer. I think my monthly lease amount works out to around 46K a month for a 5 year lease and 20% Residual Value after 5 years. The organisation has tie up with Orix for the lease and despite the lease, the first owner would be me and not Orix, so all in all, a comfortable arrangement.

I can't find a button for opening of boot in my car, and pressing on the key fob does not open the boot and just unlocks it. Is that right? Can anyone shed light on this?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd August 2022 at 11:22. Reason: back to back posts merged
Ays7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:46   #449
Senior - BHPian

Did a TD of the Alcazar Petrol AT 6 seater this afternoon, it had a supple ride and acres of space and was easy to pilot and had a high drive position as I raised the powered seat to the max. Was a little laggy in Eco mode with 3 on board (SA, myself driving and wife) in comfort it pulled well and was tractable. I took into my apartment lot and reversed and parked and the 360 deg/reverse camera endeared itself beautifully. I want to stay away from Turbo petrol and DCT's so I zeroed on to this naturally aspirated 2.0 liter petrol with a torque converter automatic. The front parking sensors are also very handy and useful. I can live with a low fuel efficiency. My wife (in the captains backseat) liked it very much and she was more excited to hear how I felt than myself ! It costs Rs 23 L OTR. The lane departure warning and Lane view camera were also useful features. I'm not inclined to buy it as the City is just 5.5 years old and has covered 32000kms. My choice would be the 7 seater.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar Review-img_5974-1001-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 23rd August 2022 at 17:52.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:58   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Did a TD of the Alcazar Petrol AT 6 seater this afternoon, it had a supple ride and acres of space and was easy to pilot and had a high drive position as I raised the powered seat to the max. Was a little laggy in Eco mode with 3 on board (SA, myself driving and wife) in comfort it pulled well and was tractable. I took into my apartment lot and reversed and parked and the 360 deg/reverse camera endeared itself beautifully. I want to stay away from Turbo petrol and DCT's so I zeroed on to this naturally aspirated 2.0 liter petrol with a torque converter automatic. The front parking sensors are also very handy and useful. I can live with a low fuel efficiency. My wife (in the captains backseat) liked it very much and she was more excited to hear how I felt than myself ! It costs Rs 23 L OTR. The lane departure warning and Lane view camera were also useful features. I'm not inclined to buy it as the City is just 5.5 years old and has covered 32000kms. My choice would be the 7 seater.
I have booked a Creta diesel AT in May and there is no update on the expected delivery date yet. In the mean time, Alcazar looks like a better buy compared to Creta. May I know the reason why you are considering a Petrol and not a diesel. My requirement do not need a diesel, but I am worrying about the low FE of petrol.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks