Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2022, 16:18   #1021

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

I was in Chandigarh last week. Berkley skoda is quoting 28.9 for style and 32.1 for L&k. Amex discount included.
vkarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 19:42   #1022
BHPian

Enquired in Cochin for waiting time for L&K. They quoted 4-6 weeks for delivery on booking it next week. No offers from Skoda is what I heard
Old 21st August 2022, 02:14   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild child View Post
Hi RSK.
I had installed this way back in 2016 at one of those fancy shops with warm bright inspection lights and long plastic curtains. However, am unable to recollect the model name. I fell for their marketing gimmick where the marketing guy scratched their demo car with a screw driver, removed the PPF and showed "Voila, no scratches!".

Good decision man. Paint touch + a full body wax polish up is much more cheaper and easier.

Cheers.
PPF or No PPF is a age old debate and mostly a personal preference. I have got PPF done early on. Out of all the cars i have owned this is the first car that gets PPF. My previous cars are were very well maintained and i personally used to do all cleaning and detailing.

Why PPF now? I am travelling a lot now and don't have time to clean the car my self. Have open parking and with all kids playing around with out any protection it's a risk of kids scratching it & that one neighbor who will open the his door wide open to nick my car. Irrespective of carful driving paint chipping on highway drive is very common. This is the most expensive car i have owned & to an extent i don't prefer repainting for some repainting is ok compare to initial cost of investing in PPF. It's financially prudent. I Will try to stick to original factory finish paint as much as possible. Mentally i am prepared that i will get this PPF peeled off post 4 years. So it's a dead investment post 4 years. When i am not at home, it is driven and cleaned by chauffer, this is another challenge as he might introduce marring on paint while cleaning. This point can be addressed with 1 or 2 step corrections later at detailer. At the end some relative peace of mind with PPF on board.

Above were my factors that tilted decision towards going for a branded PPF. It's is your personal preference and the factors that influences ones decision. One size & thinking doesn't fit all.

So folks in Europe don't put PPF on Octavia A8? From when does skoda started recommending ceramic? If one reads through the warranty terms everything needs to be factory spec for any claim on warranty. I would be surely interested in what's so different about Octavia paint compared to Superb, Kodiaq or VW cousins.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 21st August 2022 at 02:16.
CircleOfLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 09:23   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Mentally i am prepared that i will get this PPF peeled off post 4 years. So it's a dead investment post 4 years.
Hi CircleOfLife.

The PPF which I am having on my car has done its job really well all through my ownership. It has given me peace of mind while being through almost all the situations which you have listed out. There were scratches on the PPF which did not reach the paint.

But the point I would like to reiterate is, as soon as the PPF gets degraded, discoloured and cracked, it is literally impossible to peal it off without damaging the paint. So even if I were to peal off the old PPF to install a new layer, that would be collateral damage.

At this point, I realize that it would have been a lot more wiser not to have installed PPF. Since my first experience with PPF has been bad, I would not / do not recommend it to anyone.

Once bitten, twice shy.

As you rightly said - One size never fits all!

Cheers.
wild child is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:12   #1025
BHPian

Wrt PPF, yes in fact I had taken a quote for the vulnerable parts alone from a detailing showroom and wanted to give it there.
But during delivery, the KUN Brand manager is once again repeating Not to go for PPF for this car.

Congratulations! Am awaiting delivery of the L&K...promised this month by Kun.

As regards PPF- he is right- I have seen several instances when the PPF degrades, removal takes the paint with the film...not advisable IMO...ceramic on lava blue is a stunner- have seen it on a friends car...but ceramic is not fool proof either.

Wish you many happy miles with the Octy!
Cheers
asterix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 23:23   #1026
BHPian

A difficult choice indeed, one I’m sure more than 1 person find themselves in.

https://www.autocarindia.com/advice-...-an-suv-425451
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:04   #1027
BHPian

Team BHP article. Does this mean there could be significant discounts for superb and Octavia come the end of the financial year?
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/scoop-...n-end-feb-2023
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:45   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
Team BHP article. Does this mean there could be significant discounts for superb and Octavia come the end of the financial year?
I would expect the discounts to be minimal considering these are low volume products and Skoda would want to continue with the profitability. I see a significant impact in the used car segment, specifically for the Octavia which will now probably have a lower impact on depreciation unless an updated version is launched, similar to what we have seen for the vRS.
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:52   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Long post:

There is a post of selector lever failure. As the OP (Endless) hasn't share the exact part repaired but my hunch is that i had a similar issue.

When all goes good it feels a bliss until you hit a roadblock or one of your fears comes true.
Hello there! Yes, same issue that I faced. My bill however did not have the part number on it. There is no way to tell why the issue occurred but the SA mentioned it was a known issue and the factory had stocked up on the part. Strange that they did not put in the updated part straight out of the factory. I had the car back on the road in 3 days flat. For me the ASS experience softened the blow. I had regular updates and timeline expectations were set before hand. So no hassles there. I’ve done over 2k kms post this incident including a trip to Hyderabad and back, no issues to report. The car runs like a dream, on steroids I averaged 7.2 kmpl on my way up solo, and needed 2 full tanks, but on my way back, covered the same distance on 1 full tank of xp 95, 3 passengers, with fuel to spare! Love the Jackle and Hyde under my hood.

That being said, I think it’s the ASS experience that kills the joy of owning this car for most people out there. Skoda needs to do more on this front. I for one continue to be a happy camper. A couple of days of down time does not take away the brilliant ownership experience for me personally. I love it..until I won’t
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 01:25   #1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by san.gaurav View Post
Could anyone who has recently booked Octavia shed light on the discounts offered by dealer.
Also what is the current waiting period for L&K variant?
In Mumbai, the L&K is going for around 37 lacs (fully loaded). Hopefully, wait time is about 3-4 months (and not longer).
Old 23rd August 2022, 01:29   #1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
It's a no-brainer to get the Octavia if you are after pure driving pleasure. I would not suggest getting the Tucson in its Petrol avatar if you are driving yourself as it shares the petrol engine with the Alcazar. The drive quality is dull at best. Instead, I would suggest you to take a test drive of the diesel Tucson. Though not a rocket in a staright line like the Octavia, the diesel Tucson manages to do 0-100 in around 9 seconds (which is quick for an SUV). On top of that, it's extremely smooth and refined for a diesel. You can even mistake it for a petrol when sitting inside the car. Those are the levels of refinement on offer.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference whether you want an SUV or a sedan. While the Octavia offers immense driving pleasure and sheer performance, the Tucson scores on feel-good features and a hassle free ownership.
Thanks a ton - very helpful. I am planning on sticking to the Octy (have definitely ruled out the Tuscon now). However, just read this morning about the Octavia / Superb being discontinued. Some reading suggests that it should not impact service / spare parts (as Skoda is going to stay back in India).

Anyone else who has booked and waiting for delivery of their Octy. What's your thought on going ahead with the purchase in light of the news that the cars are being discontinued from next year?
Dadoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:21   #1032
rsk
BHPian

Is it ok to drive with auto-hold ON always or it should only be activated on demand, like in a traffic signal or an incline? Does driving with auto-hold ON has any form of negative impact on the car?
Old 23rd August 2022, 07:53   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
Is it ok to drive with auto-hold ON always or it should only be activated on demand, like in a traffic signal or an incline? Does driving with auto-hold ON has any form of negative impact on the car?
While I prefer leaving it off and allow the engine to crawl in bumper to bumper traffic, leaving it on is fine as well. Its just that throttle modulation in traffic is difficult in heavy traffic. The Car tends to lunge forward when auto hold is active even on the slightest tap on the A pedal
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 18:15   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
Not something you would want to read just after taking delivery.
Old 23rd August 2022, 18:28   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk View Post
I do remember watching a video by Autocar Editor in chief Hormazd Sorabjee, where he was talking about DCTs with respect to how the Kia Seltos DCT was facing heating and failure issues back in 2019. He did say that putting a DCT into Neutral when on traffic lights can take away the stress from the clutch. I personally always put my octy into N, since the previous gen didn’t have the most reliable gearbox.
sidhgoyal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks