Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2023, 09:41   #1711
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josteam View Post
Any suggestions from Forum members on using an Octane booster as most of our highways do not have fuel stations dispensing high octane fuel?
Octane boosters doesn't work as an alternative to high octane fuel.

Also, Skoda is largely against using untrusted fuel additives - may clog sensitive components.
SilverSmoke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 09:45   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The entire stretch I could find only one fuel station at Udaipur that had XP 95.
Use the IndianOil One mobile app to locate nearby fuel stations based on type of fuel from the dropdown list. It is accurate and has helped me on several locations. Planning the refuel at unknown location by calling the pump in advance helps. You’d be surprised at the locations these pumps are operating in. Sometimes I did have to take slight detours. In the whole Mumbai - Udaipur journey you’d probably have to refuel just once on the way, right? No point playing around with octane boosters on a road trip bro.

At this point I feel I should mention that I am in no way affiliated with IOCL but I am promoting it because it is the best fuel as per my experience. I was using 91 octane always for my aging Octavia too. The day I started using XP95, the car has stopped aging, and has become more efficient, smoother, more eager to pounce ahead, no knocks, extremely responsive. Kind of feeling I got when I put XP100 in my Kodiaq once.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 3rd December 2023 at 09:48.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 10:50   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Another issue with XP95 on highways is, very less people prefer it and so the fuel somehow keeps lying in the bunk's tank for more duration.

I faced an issue when I filled XP95 at a bunk in Goa and my car kind of started jerking in lower RPMs. It got resolved after around half tank got empty. May be the fuel was adulterated being sitting at bunk for longer duration. On highways, I usually stick to normal petrol nowadays.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 16:30   #1714
BHPian

Hello folks, Just curious to know how TPMS would work after wheel rotation ? I believe the sensors are mounted inside the wheels and rotation of tyre might result in misguided information on instrument cluster ? Example : If rear right tyre is replaced with front left tyre and if there is a flat tyre on the rear right, what would the TPMS will show in the instrument cluster ?
Old 6th December 2023, 10:52   #1715

The TPM system on the Skoda Octavia does not have wheel mounted sensors, it uses the ABS system to monitor the wheel rotation speeds. If a tyre deflates, that wheel's rotation speed will increase out of proportion to the others, and also exceed the 'learned' values it has calculated within a short period of you resetting the system, after adjusting the pressures. Going by this tyre rotation will not have an impact as the system will generally read tyre rotations of all four tyres irrespective of where they are located.
Josteam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 22:10   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
The TPM system on the Skoda Octavia does not have wheel mounted sensors, it uses the ABS system to monitor the wheel rotation speeds.
Thanks for the heads up !! The octavia's TPMS is very outdated IMO. It does not show real time tyre pressure and that fails to deliver the objective of having a TPMS at first place.
Old 7th December 2023, 13:30   #1717
Jo2
BHPian

Sharing some positive news here. For those familiar with drives in Kerala highways, you know how the speed cameras are strictly enforced with hefty fines. So recently when we decided to dive from Cochin to Palakkad, we decided to stay docile and focus on a relaxed rive. Which means cruise control kicks in and some steady smooth driving in the 65-75KMPH range. With three adults and no luggage with A/c on, very happy to report we got an average mileage of 16KMPL. Here is a screenshot from when we hit 17 KMPL enroute. The max we did was 17.1KMPL for a brief stretch. Very impressive for a 2 L engine that gives a luxurious drive

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_7884.jpg

Curious to know how many of you had the glove box lid replaced? We had some issues in the first year with the glove box compartment opening at random during jerk which the service center fixed (they flexed the lid to fix it and refused to replace). Year 2, the small rattle is back and is annoying in otherwise a very quiet cabin. I can see uneven panel gaps on the left side coz of the flex. We are going to push for a replacement lid when taking in for service which is due now. So curious if this is a common issue and what other's experience has been in getting the lid replaced.

Last edited by Jo2 : 7th December 2023 at 13:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Jo2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 15:39   #1718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo2 View Post
Which means cruise control kicks in and some steady smooth driving in the 65-75KMPH range. With three adults and no luggage with A/c on, very happy to report we got an average mileage of 16KMPL. Here is a screenshot from when we hit 17 KMPL enroute. The max we did was 17.1KMPL for a brief stretch. Very impressive for a 2 L engine that gives a luxurious drive
Well that's the beauty of this engine, it can always give pleasant surprises when driven sedately. I had to do Gurgaon-Panchkula-Gurgaon in one day sometime back in October which comprised of 550+ kms journey. Since I was driving alone and was not very high on adrenaline, I was driving sedately in a speed range of 80-120 mainly in drive mode with multiple overtakes using sports mode. I returned home with a round-trip mileage of 17.3 kmpl.

I took a screengrab mid-journey. I couldnt believe my eyes as this is the same car and engine which gives me a mileage of 7kmpl in local city traffic with not so relaxed driving.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-whatsapp-image-20231207-15.04.51.jpeg
rahul1407 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 22:19   #1719

Hi folks, can you please share the approximate cost and list of parts/consumables changed for the second service of the Mark 4 Octavia.
Old 12th December 2023, 09:57   #1720

Quote:

Curious to know how many of you had the glove box lid replaced? We had some issues in the first year with the glove box compartment opening at random during jerk which the service center fixed (they flexed the lid to fix it and refused to replace). Year 2, the small rattle is back and is annoying in otherwise a very quiet cabin. I can see uneven panel gaps on the left side coz of the flex. We are going to push for a replacement lid when taking in for service which is due now. So curious if this is a common issue and what other's experience has been in getting the lid replaced.
Looks like the issue with the glove box lid is common with quite a few owners although it's been holding up fine so far on my car.
Josteam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 15:46   #1721
Jo2
BHPian

Has anyone tested manoeuvre breaking in the style variant of Octavia? I haven't experienced it in action but do see it displayed in the infotainment. So wondering if this feature is available only in L&K ? Also for those who have it ( maybe L&K) , any recommendations on how to do some safe testing?
Old 12th December 2023, 19:45   #1722

Quote:
Has anyone tested manoeuvre breaking in the style variant of Octavia? I haven't experienced it in action but do see it displayed in the infotainment. So wondering if this feature is available only in L&K ? Also for those who have it ( maybe L&K) , any recommendations on how to do some safe testing?

It's available in Style variant. I have noticed it in action and the first time it got activated it was scary as the car braked very hard and sharp. You need to enable it via the park assist menu. The Manoeuvre Assist detects obstacles in the front and behind the vehicle and applies the brakes to avoid collision. There is a certain speed limit (upper and lower) where this works, not sure of the exact thresholds though.
Old 13th December 2023, 12:22   #1723
BHPian

Quote:
It has activated a couple of times in my case and it is quite scary to be honest, you'l feel like you have hit something! It works at speeds lesser than 30 kmph and may save you from some scratches, however, one issue I encountered with this feature is that it did trigger in a situation when there was no obstruction whatsoever, the parking sensor was beeping too, but nothing was seen on the camera which forced me to stop and get down and check if I had something on my blind spot, path was absolutely clear with no shrubs around either, so one may enounter a false positive once in a while.

On the testing front, If you want to experience this, you may try keeping a traffic cone on your path, make sure the cone has a smooth surface and it is not too heavy, that way if the feature doesnt trigger in time you dont end up with a scratch.

Last edited by abaliga : 13th December 2023 at 12:27.
Old 15th December 2023, 13:58   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Try placing a few card boxes in your path as shown in the video below, the feature at best IMO is better turned off than enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
6. Manoeuvre braking (A very good feature) is a little too intrusive for Indian traffic conditions. I was taking a u-turn in a tight lane on Day1 when an Uber driver was in close proximity (yet static) and the car braked so hard that we all felt as if it has collided with a big stone or something. Ex: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=CoLvkVfeoHs
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 09:33   #1725

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
It has activated a couple of times in my case and it is quite scary to be honest, you'l feel like you have hit something! It works at speeds lesser than 30 kmph and may save you from some scratches, however, one issue I encountered with this feature is that it did trigger in a situation when there was no obstruction whatsoever, the parking sensor was beeping too, but nothing was seen on the camera which forced me to stop and get down and check if I had something on my blind spot, path was absolutely clear with no shrubs around either, so one may enounter a false positive once in a while.

On the testing front, If you want to experience this, you may try keeping a traffic cone on your path, make sure the cone has a smooth surface and it is not too heavy, that way if the feature doesnt trigger in time you dont end up with a scratch.
In my opinion the manoeuvre braking calibration is not designed well. I have had to switch it off since I found it counter productive with the car breaking hard without any apparent reason, especially if you are reversing in a crowded area . Which is the norm in most Indian cities.
Amrish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks