Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2023, 17:45   #1681

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Hi.
So I was earlier using regular fuel, only switched to 95 octane for the first time. Car has done 15000 kms and there is no error message on the infotainment screen yet. I am based in NCR and the garage is Giriraj Motors. The curious thing is that if you drive with gentle acceleration the problem is not that visible, only under hard acceleration the jerks become apparent. What do you recommend ? Should I send it back to the garage ?
Old 9th November 2023, 17:52   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrish View Post
Switched to 95 Octane fuel, no help.
Sir I own a VW Tiguan, purchased very recently and the same 2.0L TSI and 381 DSG as yours, during the PDI the head of service explicitly told me 95 Octane only. He said you might experience pre-mature corrosion of the fuel injectors if 91 Octane is consistently filled, sometimes is not an issue. From what you've described you have been filling 91 RON for the past 2 years straight.

Is this something you mentioned to the Service Advisor, If so what was his opinion? If related at all to the current issue you are experiencing. I would be Interested in knowing.

Thank you.
Maky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 18:19   #1683

Hi.

First things first, I got no guidance or advise from the sales executive of Skoda on the 95 Octane fuel requirement for this car. That's expected cause they are all basically jokers with minimal knowledge of such advanced cars. So perhaps that could be the reason. Having said that, I belive VW Skoda made fabulous 2.0 Tdi engines. I owned a 2014 Jetta and the engine was silk smooth with zero trouble in 4 years of ownership... I also have very little trust in the service setup of Skoda.. so am stuck between a rock and a hard place here unfortunately ��
Old 9th November 2023, 19:51   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi.

First things first, I got no guidance or advise from the sales executive of Skoda on the 95 Octane fuel requirement for this car. That's expected cause they are all basically jokers with minimal knowledge of such advanced cars. So perhaps that could be the reason. Having said that, I belive VW Skoda made fabulous 2.0 Tdi engines. I owned a 2014 Jetta and the engine was silk smooth with zero trouble in 4 years of ownership... I also have very little trust in the service setup of Skoda.. so am stuck between a rock and a hard place here unfortunately ��
Bro, first of all I feel bad to hear this. Its always painful when something like this happens with our cars, especially if its the primary car. Having said that, if you have indeed filled 91 RON fuel since day one, I am afraid, the damage is done. It will take change of injectors, fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. and you have a good chance to claim warranty as none of these are wear and tear parts. But if you are cross with the dealership, they will not support you, as for them a car lying for months outside their workshop is nothing new. The mistake is mostly yours as the minimum 95 RON labels are present in the car, as well as the manual mentions it. If you don’t maintain your rapport with the dealer, they will simply blame you for using non-standard fuel and make you pay in full for the parts. First of all it is important to find the root of the problem, how deep it is, what all components will need replacement along the way, estimates, time lines, etc. Sorry to dampen your rage but sooner you swallow this bitter pill, the better.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 20:21   #1685

Sure buddy. I suppose that is the way forward I suppose though not ideal for customers who buy such cars.
Old 12th November 2023, 13:15   #1686
Jo2
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.

I have 2021 Dec Octavia L&K. Of late it has started giving me trouble under hard acceleration, especially above 2000 rpm on kick down. The car jerks and jolts, which is scary and disappointing to say the least. Its not even 2 years old and these kind of problems have started coming up.

Have sent the car to the workshop where they cleaned the injectors (apparently), however no help. Switched to 95 Octane fuel, no help. Wondering if any fellow Octavia 2.0 L Petrol owners have experienced similar issues? What is the rectification process? Thank you so much for your help!! Cheers
I don't want to be a self proclaimed expert, but this could likely be just be an injector issue or a faulty fuel pump or a combination and can be solved by replacing the faulty part. I know everyone talks about rating of the fuel as a primary cause, but often its the quality of fuel vs rating which means you just need to flush the fuel lines. Also hey, maybe you just got a bad injector that failed early. Your car is under warranty, so at this point, just go to your trusted service center and let them take care of the issue. only thing to do is cooperate with what they ask. Keep us posted mate on what the end outcome is and good luck!
Jo2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 13:20   #1687
Jo2
BHPian

Folks! any new software updates for the infotainment system? Also curious to know how's everyone ensuring its running the latest version. I wait for my annual service but is there a way to get some of these updates real time if there are any? The glitchy infotinment system is an annoying bit about this beauty!
Old 12th November 2023, 20:34   #1688

My infotainment has been updated as per the service advisor when my Octavia went in for its second service. Frankly, not seen any major change or improvement. Sometimes the audio would completely go dead and then you need to shut the engine and wait for a couple of minutes before starting it again. Having said that, this is definitely a true luxury car at a bargain price!

Last edited by graaja : 18th November 2023 at 05:17. Reason: Abbreviation
Amrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 20:55   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Sometimes the audio would completely go dead and then you need to shut the engine and wait for a couple of minutes before starting it again.
I have the same issue from time to time, even when the volume does not increase at all. I hold the power button on the volume slider for 10 seconds and the system reboots. The audio worked fine for the remainder of the journey after that - except some time when I would get a call over FaceTime and the CarPlay would just disconnect.
Old 15th November 2023, 19:29   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Two day drive summary - Bangalore to Mumbai with cruise control engaged within legal highway limits (+10%). Absolute bliss with the creamy 2.0TSI stretching its legs with nary an effort, while returning good fuel efficiency at good average speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20231115_132759collage.jpg  

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 15th November 2023 at 19:31.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 20:30   #1691
BHPian

Hi folks, I had a minor accident where a biker on the phone lost control and hit the left ORVM of my Octavia which shattered the mirror completely. Luckily the housing is fine. I checked with a Skoda service center and the mirror(glass) alone costs around 8500Rs. I was wondering if there are cheaper non-OEM alternatives available. Else will have to make an insurance claim and lose out on the NCB.

I'm okay with a non-OEM part since the left mirror on the MK4 Octavia is a normal/non-dimmable mirror.
Old 15th November 2023, 22:54   #1692
BHPian

Hi fellows,

Somehow the letter “A” in Octavia logo is gone, not sure how. I wanted to buy a high quality emblem without burning a hole in my pocket and also without having to wait a long time to procure it from Skoda. Any suggestions on where to buy it from? Note: I am based in Bangalore.
Old 18th November 2023, 00:33   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
Just before second year service, battery low indicator turned on. Car does run 5+ days a week. I pushed SA for replacement to be on safe side but their process is very clear from Skoda. First they charge the battery is able to hold it then no replacement initiated. Hopefully it doesn't knock off any time soon. Previously Vento battery knocked off at 2yrs 4 months mark and the replacement battery lasted until it was sold.
Update: Skoda Octavia 2021 battery knocked off just shy north of 2 years. Skoda won't replace under warranty. Please do read ahead.

2 Years 1 Month and Varta battery knocked off. I wonder all these Varta batteries are programmed to knock off just after warranty period. This is not new had a similar experience with VW Vento before but those were Exide batteries. Octavia being a CKD had little higher expectation's. Why not i am paying big bucks from my pocket for it. Vehicle is completely in stock condition and even dash cam isn't installed, but that hadn't made any difference to battery life. I take good care of the car following all procedures not to switch of engine immediately after a run, stop HU every time, let engine warm up every morning etc.

Sequence of events:

Vehicle has been throwing low battery from past couple of months and during second year service had explicitly called out on the battery low warning issue.

Mody Uppal was the service center where second service was done. Battery at this point was still under warranty period. Service advisor made a note of the issue and they said battery test result as good battery and as per manual they would just charge and give back. I wasn't convinced but there were no data points after battery test report to challenge that battery is dying. Though i told SA mark my words i give this battery max 2 months. Voila prediction came true.

15/11:had to drop my kid to his badminton practice session and car won't start. All kinds of error were popping on the instrument cluster. Was in a hurry decided to jump start the car with help of local battery vendor. Immediately called SA at Mody Uppal shared the video of the issue and conveyed that i would be coming next day 11/16.
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-image_123650291-1.jpg
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-image_123650291.jpg

16/11: Reached service center on time and first battery test was done. Result came a good battery. As engine was run in hot we waited for another 1.5 hrs to let it cool and run battery test again. Second test resulted as good battery. Service advisor was about to return car but i pushed it to be connected to ODIS to identify if there was any leakage causing the issue. Once connected to ODIS couple of steps and battery went dead right at workshop. Had questions for the SA how did battery test turned out good battery while it is dead now with 5 mins of second test. Honestly most of these SA are hardly trained better and usually beat around the bush. There was no point chasing them for proper answer other than asking if battery can be replaced under warranty. Service advisor first checked on stock availability which wasn't there with them. Nearest SC that had battery was Mahavir at Sanath Nagar. Car was jump started at Mody and i was off to Mahavir immediately.

Mahavir has a reputation of it's own and is among the oldest skoda dealership in the country. Old is gold but with Skoda none of old dealerships are gold. Skoda hasn't gained this bad boy reputation just by themselves . Dealerships are a big part of their contribution. This dealership and service center is always and will be my last preference among dealerships. My previous experience with gear lever replacement with them wasn't good with them either. This time had to bite the bullet and reached Mahavir SC by 3:00 PM. Told them about the issue. They deiced to do battery test again and test result was good. They wanted to check if there was any leakage and as they didn't have ODIS available due to the work load for the day was asked to come next day

11/17: Reached service center on time at 10:00 AM, Job card was opened by 10:20 AM and then car was lying under sun for next 2 hrs. I had to push them to get started on the issue. One literally has to chase advisors on status update. Post lunch had to multiple times nudge SA on status update. My patience wore off at this stage and i went on the floor to talk to supervisor. He conveyed that battery is knocked off. I asked the same question even today morning when battery test was done it came as good now how it is knocked off. Again some story. Realizing there was no point to continue further discussion I requested them to check if this can be claimed under warranty as the battery issue clearly flagged during second service . Flat comes the answer No. I talked to service manager to at least check with Skoda once, he redirected query to warranty head and he also denied without checking with Skoda even once.

With both time and patience wearing off including a PTO that had to be availed to sort out the issue, decided to shell out 16,732/- for no mistake of mine. Yes it is part that can go kaput but i did notice the early signs before warranty expired and no proper corrective action was taken. At end customer bear the brunt of their investment.

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-img_1363.jpg

Mahavir also passed on the buck sir this is serviced at Mody we don't know what they have done. They are not out of their old mentality. Still can't understand why this dealership wasn't closed when Zac closed many other non performing ones.

Btw during my time spent at service center i did see a superb being reversed and hitting kushaq and technicians casually moved ahead. This issue is not only with them but across dealerships with few other friends have major dents on their cars with other brands. Never leave your car unattended at any service center.

I knew post Zac Hollis leaving India things will be back to usual self with Skoda legendary way of treating customers. This is one such instance of many more ahead.

My only call out is be cautious if you observe any battery issue with in warranty period push for a change, post that have no expectations of Skoda being supportive about the issue. I hope they would partner with customers to have any kind of customer retention ahead.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 18th November 2023 at 00:41.
CircleOfLife is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 12:39   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Sure buddy. I suppose that is the way forward I suppose though not ideal for customers who buy such cars.
Do you have an update on the Issue.
From the day I bought my 2022 Octavia, I have been using Normal petrol and not XP95.

And this was advised by the Sales manager when I bought the car.
He said availability of XP95 everywhere is a problem, so better always fill normal Petrol.
He said it's a problem if we mix from time to time.

So, really fingers crossed on this one.
Old 21st November 2023, 20:06   #1695
BHPian

I took my first long trip after owning the car for 8 months, this involved some night driving and I found that the low beams are terrible, also, the so called self levelling headlamps dont have the beam adjuster for low beam, any suggestions on how we can improve this? I am using high beam much more than I am comfortable with as this may end up blinding on coming traffic, however, I am not able to manage with the low beams on unlit highways

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post

My only call out is be cautious if you observe any battery issue with in warranty period push for a change, post that have no expectations of Skoda being supportive about the issue. I hope they would partner with customers to have any kind of customer retention ahead.
Ridiculous way of handling issues on a 35-40 lakh car, one thing Skoda and VW need to learn is treating customers better and giving them the benefit of doubt on warranty claims, I have noticed that for most warranty claims, the dealer first tries to assign blame on the customer, their 2.0 strategy will fall flat on its face as cars get older and repair costs go up, their CKD units are a nightmare to maintain as the part availability is a big issue, I have seen cars waiting for parts months at a time without any ETA, this is specially true for accident repairs, this is not how you handle one of the largest auto markets in the world and the one that has given Skoda and VW more than a chance to thrive! Only car enthusiasts cannot sustain the volumes needed for a country, and unless they make maintenance of their complex machinery affordable, they do not have a bright future in our country!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st November 2023 at 20:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks