Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 12:38   #1531
BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfarbeyond View Post
I guess MAX button toggles your AC draft output more to the vents near the wind screen and that's the reason you are experiencing this mist.

I haven't tried it myself but the icon max button seems to suggest the same.
Hi
Just to clarify, the misting happens during normal operation of the AC.
Say, for example the AC is set to 23 or 24 degrees and while driving in the evening, I face this problem.

I assume it's due to the high humidity here in Chennai especially during evening time but I would think a High end car like Octavia should not have such AC issues.

And to resolve it, I am having to increase the temperature to say 27 or 28 degrees and switch on the Max button for sometime until it becomes unbearable to sit inside the car.
Old 29th May 2023, 18:40   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Hi
Say, for example the AC is set to 23 or 24 degrees and while driving in the evening, I face this problem.

I assume it's due to the high humidity here in Chennai especially during evening time but I would think a High end car like Octavia should not have such AC issues.

And to resolve it, I am having to increase the temperature to say 27 or 28 degrees and switch on the Max button for sometime until it becomes unbearable to sit inside the car.
This has happened with me as well, how has the weather been for you when you experience this scenario? Manualyl overriding the vent flow helped me in this case.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5379910 (Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review)
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:38   #1533
BHPian

Thanks Rahul,
Yes, it precisely happens when outside temperature is high and quite humid like you have mentioned in your post.
For me it particularly happens during the evening rides.

Did you check with the SA on a permanent solution.
Old 30th May 2023, 17:33   #1534
BANNED

Pursuant to the discussion about the A/C, does anyone know the cc capacity of the A/C compressor ? 100/125/150 ?
Old 3rd June 2023, 21:55   #1535
BHPian

Update on the wheels:

Upgraded to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/40 R18 on a Lenso Ventus 18x8.5J wheel.

Performance:
-Mileage Tests show negligible differences (~1Kmpl) on a 80km stretch. Cruise Control on 80kmph.
- I do not perceive any difference in handling/grip since I was running 225/50 PS4s before this. There is a change of +8mm on the scrub radius which I believe should be under tolerance limits.
-Circumference decreased by 1.8% and thereby GC has decreased by 12.6mm. I don’t expect this to be an issue unless I swap in a coilover or a set of lowering springs.
-There is a noticeable increase in tyre noise/NVH levels as expected. This is majorly due to the significantly lower profile tyres (sidewall of 94mm vs 112.5mm OEM).
- A certain amount of steering vibrations could be attributed to tyre balancing. Will plan a repeat visit post couple thousand kilometres once they’re run in to get them rebalanced and realigned.
- The Lenso Ventus are cast alloys which weigh 12.7KG each compared to the stock pulsar alloys (L&K) which weigh 11.5KG.

Fitment & Clearance:
- The alloys have a CB of 66.6 so it’s imperative that hub rings are used. I believe the wheels are hub + lug centric. The installer provided custom machined aluminium hub rings for 57.1mm to 66.6mm conversion.

- The Offset is +40 compared to OEM +46 (AFAIK). This essentially helped me dial back some loss of inner tyre/rim clearance. Current loss is -9mm inner for the struts vs -21mm outer for the fender. For the fender inner lining, there is sufficient amount of clearance, in-fact the vertical clearance has increased due to the lower diameter.

- I haven’t taken a picture of the tuck line. But the upper part of the tyres are properly tucked within the fender. They expose more of the lower tyre due the inwards bending design of fenders. It’s an aggressive look.

Now onto the aesthetics, I’ll let the pictures do the talking.
P.s. they look even better in motion.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-e46fecca392c40919928738fe535bfb4.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-4fb23e9f944b460488d748703fb6104c.jpeg  

T0TALITY is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 05:28   #1536
BHPian

Of late the traffic situation near our house is so pathetic.
Twice in the last 2 weeks, 2-wheelers have brushed the front bonnet resulting in minor scratches :(

Has anyone done painting at the Skoda service centres recently ?
wanted to know what does it cost and do they do a decent job considering the colour is Lava blue. Thanks.

Last edited by mah45 : 4th June 2023 at 05:29. Reason: Sentence end
mah45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 11:33   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Hi
I have the same problem and to solve it, I turn the auto climate off, In manual mode, i set the air flow to recirculation and this solves misting- in Chennai i run at 20 without misting. The moment i turn to Auto climate the misting starts.

Hope this helps..
Cheers
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 13:23   #1538
BHPian

Got the 2023 Octavia 2.0 TSI L&K home about 2 months back from Tafe Access Mangalore just about when the supply was stopped, Infact we had no intentions of buying a new vehicle as our 2019 Ecosport TDCI Titanium Plus was in perfect condition and run only 25K

Purchase:
I had reached out to the dealership for a Test drive in early 2022 just to get a feel of the Octavia, the first flex of the right foot was enough to convince me that this was the car for enthusiasts on a budget even though I hated the touch screen controls for HVAC (more on this later)

I was also looking at a used 3rd Gen Octavia with less than 20k on the Odo, this was very hard to find in Karnataka, the ones listed were priced at a premium, Also the DQ200 DSG gearbox was on the back of my mind

With the news of Octavia and Superb getting discontinued being circulated on the forum, I reached out to the local dealership, the SA who had given me the test drive earlier helped me find a vehicle with the color and variant of my choice in the stock and a deal was struck, there was not much offered in terms of discounts even though everyone knew the vehicle was being pulled off the showroom floor, I was told the car was in demand and the vehicle allotted to me had a 2023 MY VIN that did not help case to negotiate further. I had reached out to other dealers in the state and I was given the same answer, some were offering higher discounts with not being commital on the stock or color options, I did not want to miss the opportunity to buy the Octavia so went with the local dealer who got the car in their yard after I paid the 50k booking amount. Thereafter I got the delivery on the date of my choice with all my requests on PDI and me being present during the transport of vehicle from the yard to the service station agreed upon

Following are my initial impressions

- Fantastic 2.0 TSI DSG powertrain, no real competition in the price range
- Extremely refined drive that is achieved by a refined engine, superb insulation all around and a well balanced suspension
- Huge boot space that can pack the luggage of entire family and some more
- Has most bells and whistles except ADAS and in built navigation
- Nice fastback profile and a well designed 3 box sedan with the practicality of a hatch
- Love the automated Boot opening
- Amazing AC that is as effective as our Ecosport's, a rarity in European cars!
- Rear window blinds on the doors and on the parcel tray, a boon in our weather. A Feature that is removed from the latest 3 series

Dislikes:

- Touchscreen based HVAC controls, Hated this the first time I saw the pictures before the launch, changing fan speed was thought out to be a 2 step process, however I found out a work around 2 weeks into the ownership where Widget can be added to the homescreen to change Blower speed
- Ventilated seats are missed sorely
- No Sunroof, though I am not a big fan of this feature, never used it much in the cars I owned in the US
- Some cost cutting in terms of not offering the ambient lighting on rear doors, missing soft touch plastics on top of the rear doors, thankfully the armrest is padded, Shouldn't have been the case with kind of money being asked for
- Removal of the famed Canton Music system, this was a big one for me as I am an audiophile, it took me a lot of effort to convince myself that I should go ahead with the vehicle despite this, the audio quality was a big disappointment initially with Android auto automatically connected everytime the vehicle was started, realized the improvement with Bluetooth connectivity is significant, I still miss the Canton system though, the bass from the woofer would have been nice to have, I would have gladly given up on the park assist feature to have a better sound system
- DSG is confused at low city speeds, It can get Jerky at times and is a little scary
- Manoeuvre braking is a little too scary even though it helps a great deal with parking
- All round parking censors are a boon, however a 360 degree camera would not be out of place for the asking price
- I don't mind not having ADAS, but emergency braking would have been a good safety feature to have

Some pictures:

Sleek front end with effective headlamps
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230330_165822.jpg

Best angle of the vehicle for me, tail lights are beautifully designed
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230330_174006.jpg

Nicely contoured rear seats, would have liked a little more legroom, but it is adequate, Center seat is higher and not as comfortable as the ones at the sides
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230330_173957.jpg

Red ambient lights are switched on when the door is open irrespective of the color chosen on the touchscreen
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230330_174043.jpg

Neatly covered passenger footwell
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230527_115542.jpg

The motor that makes this car a gem, I have driven the Kodiaq with the same engine and the Octavia feels much faster in the normal mode, ofcourse the sport mode on Kodiaq helps to rid the Lag
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230330_132215.jpg

High quality dashboard with nice Ambient lights, Piano black inserts are a scratch magnet though, it's impossible to keep away the Swirl marks on these
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230402_214344.jpg

Quality lapse on the stiching, have reported it to the service center, Don't have high hopes of getting it sorted, will let it be
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230501_091908.jpg

Widget to Change Blower speed is a thoughtful touch, way better than the 2 step process of hitting the climate button to navigate to the HVAC settings
Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI DSG Review-20230604_121020.jpg
abaliga is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 18:06   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the wheels:

Upgraded to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/40 R18 on a Lenso Ventus 18x8.5J wheel

Fitment & Clearance:
- The alloys have a CB of 66.6 so it’s imperative that hub rings are used. I believe the wheels are hub + lug centric. The installer provided custom machined aluminium hub rings for 57.1mm to 66.6mm conversion.
These look Amazing, great choice on the design! Is the availability of wheel designs that fit without any modifications rare? Or are hub rings used in most after market options?
abaliga is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 01:40   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
These look Amazing, great choice on the design! Is the availability of wheel designs that fit without any modifications rare? Or are hub rings used in most after market options?
Thanks!
The wheel manufacturers go for a higher CB value usually to ensure compatibility with a wider range of vehicle. So yes, hub rings are common.
As long as PCD value matches and Alloys CB > OEM CB, you should be good to go with a quality set of hub rings.
T0TALITY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 06:03   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterix View Post
Hi
I have the same problem and to solve it, I turn the auto climate off, In manual mode, i set the air flow to recirculation and this solves misting- in Chennai i run at 20 without misting. The moment i turn to Auto climate the misting starts.

Hope this helps..
Cheers
Hi,
When you say switch off Auto AC, do you mean to switch from 'Smart AC' to 'Classic AC' setting ?

I generally use Classic setting always, and only for the fan I set it to Auto but still face the issue.
Old 5th June 2023, 08:31   #1542
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
When you say switch off Auto AC, do you mean to switch from 'Smart AC' to 'Classic AC' setting ?

I generally use Classic setting always, and only for the fan I set it to Auto but still face the issue.
I dont use smart ac at all. This is in classic ac setting, where the Auto mode gets disabled if you tap the Auto button on screen. Post which set air to recirculation and disable sync.
Cheers
asterix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 08:39   #1543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0TALITY View Post
Update on the wheels:

I believe the wheels are hub + lug centric.
First time hearing about a wheel being hub and lug centric , simultaneously. Unable to find anything when I searched the web. Kindly tell us more, how this is accomplished (links to articles will help).
Old 5th June 2023, 17:40   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
First time hearing about a wheel being hub and lug centric , simultaneously. Unable to find anything when I searched the web. Kindly tell us more, how this is accomplished (links to articles will help).
Hi Venky, to be honest there is some amount of ambiguity regarding this for me as well. When I say the term centric, i essentially wanna understand how the load is transferred and not just as a reference for Centering.

I had tried to check from multiple sources online to see if the skoda stock wheels are lug centric or hub centric. No luck. However the lugs/grooves are conical which would imply the centering functionality of it.
I had read that most aftermarket wheels are lug centric and thereby have a higher CB or as I alternatively suspect, it’s intended for better compatibility and to be used with hub rings. Not sure if a purely lug centric load design is suitable for high speed applications.

Regarding the hub-centric nature of it, this I can confirm because earlier due to slightly inaccurate hub rings, I felt significant steering vibrations at speeds above 100kmph. These were rectified with the custom machined hub rings.

So my suspicion is that the load could be shared between the lugs and the hub. Would love to hear from others on here with more knowledge about this.
Old 6th June 2023, 13:26   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
Got the 2023 Octavia 2.0 TSI L&K home about 2 months back from Tafe Access Mangalore just about when the supply was stopped
Congratulations on your recent purchase of the Skoda Octavia L&K! It seems like our cars are from a similar timeframe. I acquired mine in February 2023 and have already covered approximately 10,000 kilometers with it. I've shared my detailed ownership experience on the Team-BHP forum, which you can find at this

link (Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI Ownership Review | My last ICE vehicle | Realizing a childhood dream):

I must say, driving this car is an absolute delight. It handles like a dream, offering a smooth and enjoyable experience on the road. One of the features that caught my attention is the placement of the speedometer and trip meter in the center, which adds a unique touch to the overall design. I'm curious to know if your Skoda Octavia L&K has the same configuration.

Overall, owning this vehicle has allowed me to fulfill a childhood dream. Its performance, comfort, and aesthetic appeal make it a truly remarkable choice. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the Skoda Octavia L&K as well.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks