Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2024, 17:43   #1441
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

The car came back from the inspection and the brake pads still have 4mm of thickness left in them both front and rear . The service centre refused to change inspite of requesting them to replace stating that it is still not as per norms for change. I have now instructed them that over the 100 thousand kms service i need them to replace at least the front pads no matter what the thickness.

I guess i'm the only one with 97k kms covered with the original pads? The squeak though has noticeably reduced post the service/inspection.
rugsrags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 00:39   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
My Fortuner 2018 model is now at 96500 kms. The brake pads have never been replaced but now I heard a squeak coming run on light braking while reversing or when the car is inching forward and brake is applied lightly. No issues on hard braking yet. I'm wondering though whether to send the car now to get the brake pads checked or wait till the odo is at 1lac and service is due. I did skip for the first time the 5000 kms inspection at 95k kms since i bought the car and I guess the squeaking is a way of reminding me that I skipped it!
Crazy how it is still on it's original brake pads. Meanwhile the average 3 series/c class needs their brake pads changed every 20-30k kms because "it's a heavy car, saar"
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 13:58   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1881 View Post
Good point, i have not even tried for same Infact the issue started 3-4 months back, so effectively 26-28 months only, its now that i attempted RCA via best troubleshooting framework in the World i.e. Teambhp
During the last drive to Kerala, it became very evident that the start stop function was not working the way it used to be with the message that battery is charging, also there was some difference in the cranking sound. On inspection, the battery was found weak and was replaced with Amron. Stock battery warranty is only for the first year, so the value of old battery was only the residual price on exchange . SA commented that Toyota should equip Fortuner with a better battery that should sustain 3 yrs+.

Finally I managed to get the 360 Deg cam fitted and the initial feel is why I delayed it so long. . One area I am struggling at the moment is with a very handy feature of cams getting turned on while you engage the indicator. This overrides the maps running on the console and navigation becomes a struggle at times. This is a config stetting that can be turned off, but will take away the good feature. It would have been great if both can come in split screen like what Android Auto does with maps and music
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 15:11   #1444
BHPian

Quote:
Hi , Need advice. I have 2021 April Fortuner. Lately the Auto stop/start frequency has been reduced and usually the message on the display console is Battery Charing. Is this time to replace the car Battery?
So one fine day, the battery decided to die on me!
Absolutely no warning signs except for the 'Battery Charging' sign on the MID, a few days earlier. And mine is a April 2022 4x4 AT.
So battery died in just 20 months of usage! Very bad quality for a Toyota!

The OEM battery;
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240116-2.50.30-pm.jpeg

Replaced with Exide, 30+30 months of the same capacity (80Ah)
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-whatsapp-image-20240116-2.51.37-pm.jpeg

Price paid - 9400/-

The battery dealer told me, cars with Stop/Start system give up early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Finally I managed to get the 360 Deg cam fitted and the initial feel is why I delayed it so long. . One area I am struggling at the moment is with a very handy feature of cams getting turned on while you engage the indicator.
If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for it? How's the camera resolution?

Cheers,
Powertrain
powertrain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 17:20   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for it? How's the camera resolution?
It came to 32K before GST, the resolution looks good, but it might be too early for such feedback since I have driven only few hours post fitting this

Looks like it was a good decision for me to get the battery checked and replaced before it died than stranded in someplace where no support available

Last edited by gadadhar : 16th January 2024 at 17:24.
Old 17th January 2024, 12:30   #1446
Senior - BHPian

In today's world where the typical battery warranty is 3 years, I am wondering if it is acceptable by the quality standards to have batteries that fails in less than 2 years in a premium vehicle like Fortuner that is know for it's quality.

Is there a way we can make sure this issue reaches the Toyota higher-ups? Can we run a poll to check if these are stray incidents or it is a mass fault caused by a design defect than anything. We can expect issues with even the new battery if it is design issue created by auto start-stop or some other aspects
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:49   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Changed my car's battery today at 2 years and 27K KMs. It was taking slightly longer to start for the last few weeks. The auto start-stop was also not working. Not that I care about the auto start-stop, but I felt something was wrong with the battery. I had a few long drives coming and hence checked the battery at the neighbourhood battery shop. It failed the crank voltage drop test. The voltage was dropping well below 8V under crank load. Changed the battery to an Exide 80DIN with 60-month warranty. The cost was 9K after exchanging the old battery. The old battery was 'GS' brand, something I had never heard about before. Anyway, at just above 2 years, this is the shortest life span I have had with a car battery.
Quote:
Hi , Need advice. I have 2021 April Fortuner. Lately the Auto stop/start frequency has been reduced and usually the message on the display console is Battery Charing. Is this time to replace the car Battery?

Quote:
During the last drive to Kerala, it became very evident that the start stop function was not working the way it used to be with the message that battery is charging, also there was some difference in the cranking sound. On inspection, the battery was found weak and was replaced with Amron. Stock battery warranty is only for the first year, so the value of old battery was only the residual price on exchange . SA commented that Toyota should equip Fortuner with a better battery that should sustain 3 yrs+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
So one fine day, the battery decided to die on me!
Absolutely no warning signs except for the 'Battery Charging' sign on the MID, a few days earlier. And mine is a April 2022 4x4 AT.
So battery died in just 20 months of usage! Very bad quality for a Toyota!
So that is 4 batteries gone in 2 years including mine. All 4x4 ATs. And that's only in this thread. That is a very high failure rate for the supposed reliability king. What can we do about it ? May be send an email to their customer care ?

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th January 2024 at 12:50.
Old 17th January 2024, 13:08   #1448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So that is 4 batteries gone in 2 years including mine. All 4x4 ATs. And that's only in this thread. That is a very high failure rate for the supposed reliability king. What can we do about it ? May be send an email to their customer care ?
We should do something about this, the issue may reoccur with the new battery if it is a design problem. Hope the BHP experts can guide on the best way to take this forward with Toyota

BTW first battery in my earlier 2017 Fortuner lasted for 4 years
Old 17th January 2024, 13:32   #1449
BANNED

Our first gen Fortuner's battery lasted for a cool 5 years. It did not die all of a sudden, it started showing signs of failure and we decided to replace it. I still remember that we drove it to the battery shop and got it replaced. It's baffling to see such frequent battery failures in the current gen Fortuner. Toyota needs to do a recall. What if someone is touring on their 15-month-old 50L+ Fortuner and the battery dies without any signs?
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 08:59   #1450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Our first gen Fortuner's battery lasted for a cool 5 years. It did not die all of a sudden, it started showing signs of failure and we decided to replace it. I still remember that we drove it to the battery shop and got it replaced. It's baffling to see such frequent battery failures in the current gen Fortuner. Toyota needs to do a recall. What if someone is touring on their 15-month-old 50L+ Fortuner and the battery dies without any signs?
It did give out signs though. All 4 Fortuners mentioned here showed sloppy auto start-stop function operation and showed 'Battery Charging' warning in the console. For people, who listen to their cars, that is enough warning to at least test the batteries. But the battery life is very poor. In the last case mentioned here, it did not even last 2 years.
Old 18th January 2024, 10:13   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post

57,000 kms Update

[*]I had replaced the stock Bridgestone Dueller HT with Yokohama Geolandar G015 AT right out of the showroom. Two of those were damaged beyond repair at around 34,000 kms mark and were replaced under warranty by Yokohama. This was a very pleasant experience as there was no questions asked.
]
Nice to know about your Yokohama experience. My stock Bridgestone tyre (rear right) has got a puncture on the side wall. Wondering if this normal and whether I shal raise a complaint. Bridgestone callcentre guy suggested to get it checked at the Toyota showroom, but it's in a different city from where I got delivery of my Fortuner.

Anyone has any idea about such issue?
Old 18th January 2024, 15:05   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It did give out signs though. All 4 Fortuners mentioned here showed sloppy auto start-stop function operation and showed 'Battery Charging' warning in the console. For people, who listen to their cars, that is enough warning to at least test the batteries. But the battery life is very poor. In the last case mentioned here, it did not even last 2 years.
From past experience, we don't expect a Fortuner to show any signs of ageing including the battery within 3 years. I would have ignored the battery charging warning if not for the issues reported here. My son warned me about change in cranking noise and a flash on the instrument panel, but I was trying to blame it on the winter onset in Bangalore.

It is the Toyota trust that made us ignore the signals, I believe the quality has gone down with the new model. My tail lamp and steering wheel got replaced in first year for manufacturing defects and now the battery. My old Fortuner had seen the garage only for the routine service in 7 yrs and 1 lkh + kilometres
Old 18th January 2024, 18:19   #1453
BANNED

Quote:
Honestly, shutting down this auto start-stop function is the first thing I do whenever I am driving a car with this feature. I feel like anything less than 4 years is poor battery life.
Old 18th January 2024, 18:24   #1454
BANNED

Quote:
I believe the quality has gone down with the new model. My tail lamp and steering wheel got replaced in first year for manufacturing defects and now the battery. My old Fortuner had seen the garage only for the routine service in 7 yrs and 1 lkh + kilometres
I second this. Our first gen Fortuner never gave us any trouble and only visited the service center for regular servicing in her 1.35 lakh kms stay with us. On the other hand, the current gen Fortuners visit the dealerships more often. It's the same story with Crysta as well. We have a friend who owns both a 2017 Endeavor and a 2019 Fortuner and he tells me that the Ford has been the more reliable of the two. Toyota India is only focused on milking every last paisa out of our pockets.
Old 18th January 2024, 18:41   #1455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From past experience, we don't expect a Fortuner to show any signs of ageing including the battery within 3 years. I would have ignored the battery charging warning if not for the issues reported here. My son warned me about change in cranking noise and a flash on the instrument panel, but I was trying to blame it on the winter onset in Bangalore.
Between old Fortuner and new, is the layout inside the engine bay very different? If the engine bay has adequate space and cooling, battery should last a lot longer but it can also be that the battery in itself is sensitive to hot weather, it may wear out faster.

If you inspect it once a year and top up the distilled water, you can prolong the life of the next battery - Amaron is what I prefer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks