Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 18:54   #751
One
BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post

But my cousin in Bangalore with the same 2021 Fortuner has faced them twice and had to depend on the service centre to clear it. The difference between him and me is that his office is just 4 kms from his residence and mine is 26 kms away. We both go through similar kind of stop-and-go traffic. My opinion is that if your drives are of enough time duration, it is okay even if you don't have high RPM drives. The auto regen will take care of it. But If your drives are all 10-15 minute short distance ones, you will issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks! I guess it goes without saying that short city drives are bound to result in DPF clogging sooner or later, for any BS6 diesel with DPF setup. My question was more around high-altitude driving since Fortuner's owners'manual specifically talks about possible DPF regeneration issues above 4,000 m, both for auto regeneration as well as manual regeneration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
Ask him to change the fuel station from where he gets his diesel regularly filled. According to Nandi Toyota CRM, they are changing injectors and few components for cars which are having frequent DPF cloggings.

Either the software needs update or the DPF is clogging so fast that even manual regeneration can not be triggered on time.
I spoke at length to an experienced SA today at the showroom trying to understand DPF related issues mentioned here. Below is what he mentioned:

1. There is no need for trying to run in high revs in any use case. In a normal functioning Fortuner, the Auto Regen should take care of it.
2. In some Fortuners, the car is going directly into limp mode without doing an Auto Regen or giving an option of Manual Regen.
3. This happens due to fuel quality (like Technic90 mentioned above). This clogs the injectors preventing both Auto Regen and not being able to tell that Manual Regen is needed.
4. Toyota under warranty is changing fuel injectors, CR and Urea tank whenever it is warranted as per Toyota's analysis. This costs ₹1.8L for 4x4 and ₹1.2L for 4x2.

Solutions provided

1. He mentioned all new Fortuners in last 3-4 months are coming with the new injectors which are more accepting of bad fuel. So as per him this should not happen going forward.
2. (This one is surprising) He said if running is within city and is less, to give continuous throttle for 6-7 minutes (didn't mention rpms) to the car before turning it off
3. For people with highway runs where fuel quality is suspect (or generally if it is suspect), to fill 50ml injector cleaning fluid before filling fuel. Doing this regularly will reduce/ prevent the chances of car directly going into limp mode and when regular servicing is done, the DPF is checked anyways.
4. For high altitudes, (3.) and Auto Regen should suffice.

That's the summary of our discussion. What's interesting is that inspite of BS6 not being new for these large companies, conditions in India are still new to them. So even a Toyota is facing issues in its first iteration in India, that too in an existing product. Was wondering if this will be bigger issue with other manufacturers over time.

Last edited by One : 17th July 2022 at 19:09.
One is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 21:48   #752
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Fortuner comes home

Finally I managed to convince myself to order the Fortuner. I was set on the Fortuner Petrol after speaking to a neighbor who has one, and to @Achyuta from this forum, who was kind enough to spend a lot of time on a Sunday to explain the nuances. However, my family members have been bitten by the 4x4 offroading "bug". We realized we will have to beg, borrow and steal after we buy any Fortuner, so we may as well stretch a bit more and buy the Diesel 4x4.

Hope to keep posting here, since I am too lazy to start an ownership thread all by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-fortuner-44.jpg  

Contrapunto is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 12:28   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
1. There is no need for trying to run in high revs in any use case. In a normal functioning Fortuner, the Auto Regen should take care of it.
2. In some Fortuners, the car is going directly into limp mode without doing an Auto Regen or giving an option of Manual Regen.
That is true, even when I am stuck in traffic the rpm increases while Regen is on. I never tried the high revs to take care of things. Best practice is to press manual-regen button every few 100 kms or at random whenever you remember about it to check DPF status. If the number of bars are more than 4 and auto-regen pop-up still hasn't kicked in then you got a problem. Also if you always see 0 bars, then also something is wrong.

Name:  dpf.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  180.6 KB

Quote:
What's interesting is that inspite of BS6 not being new for these large companies, conditions in India are still new to them. So even a Toyota is facing issues in its first iteration in India, that too in an existing product. Was wondering if this will be bigger issue with other manufacturers over time.
Toyota has experienced DPF debacle in Australia for Euro 5 since 2015. So they are not completely alien to this problem but Indian conditions are definitely different. I expect Toyota to fix this eventually faster than other brands since Fortuner is a global product and that engine does it's duty in around 80 countries. I do expect more problems in every brand as people start travelling more. Till then best to go for trusted fuel as more pumps seem to be getting involved in adulteration with these high prices to protect their margins.
Technic90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 15:55   #754
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic90 View Post
If the number of bars are more than 4 and auto-regen pop-up still hasn't kicked in then you got a problem.
Does triggering the manual regen option not get enabled if bars are more than 4?

Quote:
Toyota has experienced DPF debacle in Australia for Euro 5 since 2015. ....engine does it's duty in around 80 countries. I do expect more problems in every brand as people start travelling more.
That's the interesting part and which I can't answer - people have been out and about for most of this year. And if they had more restricted movement before that, the sporadic/ short running should be worse for DPF. But we haven't been hearing enough volume of issues considering the amount of diesel cars sold in India. So assuming things seem to be roughly working across brands, it is surprising to say the least.

Last edited by One : 19th July 2022 at 16:23.
Old 19th July 2022, 17:59   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Does triggering the manual regen option not get enabled if bars are more than 4?
No it doesn't. Unless you specifically get the request pop up to start manual regen, only then the button works otherwise it shows the message as shown in picture. In my case the auto-regen has always started when bars reached to 4. Currently my adblue is low and will last only 450kms as per the MID but the auto-regen functions well even in traffic. Many cars are not getting the manual regen request due to bad fuel as explained above and MID directly shows pop up to contact service centre.

Quote:
That's the interesting part and which I can't answer - people have been out and about for most of this year. And if they had more restricted movement before that, the sporadic/ short running should be worse for DPF. But we haven't been hearing enough volume of issues considering the amount of diesel cars sold in India. So assuming things seem to be roughly working across brands, it is surprising to say the least.
I meant as people munch more miles, we might see more DPF problems. We don't have enough data for BS6 components' longevity. 10k-20k kms is too early to say. Of course the problem is not widespread as of today but what I have seen is that many brands are just throwing up check engine light (CEL) for every problem including DPF instead of giving DPF specific message. So most people are not aware that it is due to DPF unless the service centre explains them. In Harrier the CEL comes on, then all the drive modes are disabled but car runs fine but if you keep driving, it eventually goes into limp mode. In Thar, there is loss of power with or without CEL. So some DPF issues might be masked under general engine problems if owner has no awareness.
Technic90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 08:41   #756
Senior - BHPian

While this truck can tower over almost anything on the roads, these two Fortuner drivers/owners have taken it a little too far.

Notice how both the bumpers have hit the bulwark and got damaged as well. This is just spotted in my society. Both seem to have read too much into the ground clearance values but not paid much attention to the approach angle. Or may be they're short drivers. One generally don't need to watch out for most obstacles or big gutters while driving Fortuners. That usance seems be at play here.

Just wondering whether they have front parking sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220720wa0046.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220720wa0045.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img20220719wa0276.jpeg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 20th July 2022 at 08:50.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:28   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
While this truck can tower over almost anything on the roads, these two Fortuner drivers/owners have taken it a little too far.

Notice how both the bumpers have hit the bulwark and got damaged as well. This is just spotted in my society. Both seem to have read too much into the ground clearance values but not paid much attention to the approach angle. Or may be they're short drivers. One generally don't need to watch out for most obstacles or big gutters while driving Fortuners. That usance seems be at play here.

Your society needs to get the civil design corrected for sure. It is not about Fortuners and their drivers attitude, but probably the odd design of your kerbs and the posts there.
getsurya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:39   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Notice how both the bumpers have hit the bulwark and got damaged as well.

Better suited in the bad drivers thread I guess? This is more about the driver than the car.

Existing marks on the black car’s bumper indicate the owner’s/driver’s usual style of parking.

Front parking sensors? Yup, time to stop when you hear some sort of a “thud”.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 12:41   #759
BHPian

Is the fortuners fog lamps LED's or regular bulbs with yellow lights.
Old 20th July 2022, 13:00   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Is the fortuners fog lamps LED's or regular bulbs with yellow lights.
They are bright LED's and do a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Front parking sensors? Yup, time to stop when you hear some sort of a “thud”.
This gave me a good laugh.
Doonite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 00:58   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be pre-facelift model (available till 2020), so most probably did not get the front parking sensors.
BTW if you look at the condition of the bumper, do not really think the driver really bothers about what he hits, so there's that too
achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 20:33   #762
BHPian

Fortuner 4x4 AT - likes and dislikes after 600 Km

This topic has been beaten to death right from the official review. I will try to add some aspects specific to me - a 5 ft 2" sedate driver

- Supremely comfortable driving style. The car comes with an abnormally high tyre pressure from the showroom. Right when I filled up my first tankful outside the showroom, I reduced it to the recommended 29 psi and the ride just magically improved
- I prefer seating low, with the backrest angled back a bit- racing car "ishtyle". At 5'2" of course I can not see the bonnet or the edges, but I never felt I need to. The very well balanced and accurate steering always tells you where the corners are. Compared to my Ecosport, the A pillars are slimmer and give better visibility in the corners as well
- I already had the automatic DPF regeneration show up once. It happened when I was doing a 40 Km highway drive, so it ran itself and closed down "magically"- no intervention was needed.
- The times when my driver does the driving , it barely takes me 4 Km to fall into a deep sleep in the 2nd row. NOW I appreciate why all our mantris buy it. Driven softly and with a steady foot, it is like sitting on a moving sofa in the 2nd row. If I had to do as much work in the far away/ rural constituencies, I would too. Its luxurious without looking too ostentatious. In fact, one of my friends evaluated the Merc GLC and then chose the Fortuner Petrol

[b] Dislikes [b]
- NO. 1 is the absence of reach adjustment (it has only rake). At my height, it would have been wonderful to sit back another 3-4 inches, and let my left elbow fall comfortable on the middle arm rest. Now I can't since my short arms will not reach the steering comfortably if I sit that far back.
- The speakers should have been better quality- 'nuff said! I am happy with wired Carplay. It works fine when I am driving and I use a 2 meter USB - lightning cable when I am sitting in the 2nd row.
- Not having luggage hooks in the luggage area (preferably also in the 3rd row side walls) for securely tying down the luggage

Hope the new buyers considering the Fortuner find it useful.
Contrapunto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:21   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
The times when my driver does the driving , it barely takes me 4 Km to fall into a deep sleep in the 2nd row. NOW I appreciate why all our mantris buy it. Driven softly and with a steady foot, it is like sitting on a moving sofa in the 2nd row. If I had to do as much work in the far away/ rural constituencies, I would too. Its luxurious without looking too ostentatious. In fact, one of my friends evaluated the Merc GLC and then chose the Fortuner Petrol
Congratulations on your 4X4 Tank!

Quite surprised to hear this, usually the 2nd row is found to be quite uncomfortable compared to other SUVs available in the market.

Quote:
[b] Dislikes [b]
- NO. 1 is the absence of reach adjustment (it has only rake). At my height, it would have been wonderful to sit back another 3-4 inches, and let my left elbow fall comfortable on the middle arm rest. Now I can't since my short arms will not reach the steering comfortably if I sit that far back.
Reach adjustment is very much present in the Fortuner but the reach is not as much as in some other cars…
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:04   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Congratulations on your 4X4 Tank!

Reach adjustment is very much present in the Fortuner but the reach is not as much as in some other cars…
Thanks. I suppose I should give it a "tug" as opposed to a soft pull in my Ecosport. You made my day Sir.

Coming to 2nd row comfort, I'd say it may be relative. After Ertiga and Ecosport, it does feel heavenly to me. Another aspect could be the tyre pressure. Maybe its a bit to high for you? Also my runs so far has been on good National Highways and slightly kuccha roads. Let's see- I hope it remains this way.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 23:30   #765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Thanks. I suppose I should give it a "tug" as opposed to a soft pull in my Ecosport. You made my day Sir.
No need for 'Sir' please!

BTW, the Fortuner is the only SUV in it's segment to get both reach and rake adjustment. Other BoF SUVs in the Fortuner's price range only get the rake adjustment.

Most Viewed