Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2024, 12:54   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post

My only issue is that now the service advisor had stated that there is brake juddering and so they need to skim the discs. I flat out refused saying that i didn't really feel it and if there is juddering then replace the brake pads which haven't been replaced ever yet first. I don't understand how the discs require skimming, can someone please advise whether skimming should be done since it is now mentioned in the invoice too under recommendation.
Apart from the brake pads replacement, the discs should be ideally skimmed done twice or thrice before replacing it with new. Skimming may not be mentioned in the service bulletins as it is something of a grey area where they can force you to change to new set once it developed abrasion. Skimming the disc prolongs the life of the discs and is a recommended practices in many garages.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 07:21   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
I don't understand how the discs require skimming, can someone please advise whether skimming should be done since it is now mentioned in the invoice too under recommendation.
My 2022 Fortuner developed shuddering issue while braking at certain speeds. Multiple wheel balancing attempts did not resolve this issue and then brake pads were replaced with new. But issue persisted. Two attempts of disk skimming too did not resolve shuddering.

Finally disks and pads were replaced with new and the issue got resolved.

I am not sure how and why this issue occurred. Disks and the brake pads had good amount of usable life !

And Toyota supported with a goodwill 50% discount on the disks.

If you observe shudder, and if disks seem to have uneven surface, then you can attempt skimming.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 7th April 2024 at 07:22.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 10:04   #1503
BHPian

Hello,

I'm in the market to be picking up a 4x4 Fortuner Legender for the family. The car will primarily be used for bring chaffered around to the farm and highway duties.

Can some experts please help with the following :
  • What tyres? - I have not seen the car or done PDI, but I'm expecting it to be the Bridgestone Duelers. If they're okay, I'll stick with them else change to the best recommended tyre at delivery so that the cost of upgrade is offset by trading in the stock tyres. Priority is puncture resistance and road noise.
  • What mods? - Any mods that are recommended(strictly no chrome)? Primarily focussed towards comfort.
  • Any discounts that can be expected? - I see fortuners selling like hot cakes, but in terms of discounts is that something I can expect?
Old 6th May 2024, 10:54   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
Can some experts please help with the following :
  • What tyres? - I have not seen the car or done PDI, but I'm expecting it to be the Bridgestone Duelers. If they're okay, I'll stick with them else change to the best recommended tyre at delivery so that the cost of upgrade is offset by trading in the stock tyres. Priority is puncture resistance and road noise.
  • What mods? - Any mods that are recommended(strictly no chrome)? Primarily focussed towards comfort.
  • Any discounts that can be expected? - I see fortuners selling like hot cakes, but in terms of discounts is that something I can expect?
1. If you plan to go off-road then it’s better to upgrade to AT tires from the Bridgestone Dueler D693s which are HTs with M+S rating. Vredstein Pinza / Yokohama Geolandars / Michelin LTX Trail AT tires are some good options. Bridgestone Dueler is also available in AT form now (Dueler AT002).

2. Other than upgrading the suspension setup, there is no other mod/upgrade you can do which will improve the comfort levels (softer sidewall tires like the Yokos will help marginally).

3. In Mumbai cars which are in stock with dealerships (mostly white Fortuners in all trims) are available with discounts in the tune of ₹1L - ₹2L, in Hyderabad you can try your luck.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:04   #1505
BANNED

Quote:
Hello,

I'm in the market to be picking up a 4x4 Fortuner Legender for the family. The car will primarily be used for bring chaffered around to the farm and highway duties.
Off topic but a Fortuner is not the right vehicle for your usage pattern. My close relative had the exact same requirement and I made them go for the Crysta instead. Try sitting in the rear seats of the Fortuner on broken roads and you'll understand my point. It is not comfortable enough, certainly nowhere near 50L+ comfort. A Crysta will easily handle the abuse while keeping your family very comfortable and save you a cool 25L.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:10   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
Off topic but a Fortuner is not the right vehicle for your usage pattern. My close relative had the exact same requirement and I made them go for the Crysta instead. A Crysta will easily handle the abuse while keeping your family very comfortable and save you a cool 25L.
Agree totally with you. Issue is that we've one already in the garage. The new Fortuner will be joining an older Fortuner, Innova, Elantra and a GLS.

Hycross won't cut it on the roads to the farm (lower GC).

I would love any other way to spend the money, but reliability and timing of the purchase has be backed into a Legender.
Old 6th May 2024, 15:15   #1507
BANNED

Quote:
Agree totally with you. Issue is that we've one already in the garage. The new Fortuner will be joining an older Fortuner, Innova, Elantra and a GLS.
You could use this opportunity to revamp your garage? If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the older Fortuner/Innova and make for the Crysta. You already have a true-blue SUV in the form of a GLS.
Old 13th May 2024, 15:50   #1508

Quote:
Hello,

Any discounts that can be expected? - I see fortuners selling like hot cakes, but in terms of discounts is that something I can expect?
Hi Ballfry, I was looking for a Fortuner 4x4 MT. I have visited Harsha Toyota Hyderabad 2 days ago and finalised with the SUV.

With regards to the discounts, they say there’s hardly any dealer margin and they say i might get a Rs 25,000 off (that too in accessories)

They do have loyalty bonus, but I’m not eligible for the same as this is going to be my first vehicle from Toyota.

By the way, read your other posts where i saw you’ve got an Elantra too! Feels nice to know someone too, has an Elantra like me.

I’m planning to take the delivery in this month of May. I was wondering if there might be a possibility where we club our purchase from the same dealer and get a benefit or discount of some sort ?

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th May 2024 at 16:16.
Old 27th May 2024, 14:00   #1509

Hello to all the Fortuner owners,

I have observed certain holes in the engine bay area (north side of the battery and above wheel well). The 1 centimeter holes in the area may cause road debris, dust and water (moisture) may end up rusting the body in the engine bay area.

Here it is:

2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review-img_6232.png

Is there a method to seal this area? I asked the dealership, but they show no concern towards this issue.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2024 at 21:18. Reason: Typos and formatting.
V12Manual is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 13:38   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Manual View Post

Is there a method to seal this area? I asked the dealership, but they show no concern towards this issue.
Take a transparent silicon gun and seal all the holes, simple!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2024 at 21:19. Reason: Quoted post edited.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 09:57   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Manual View Post
I have observed certain holes in the engine bay area (North side of the battery and above wheel well) The 1 centimeter holes in the area may cause road debris, dust and water (moisture) may end up rusting the body in the engine bay area.
Let's say you do seal the holes, how does water drain from that pan? I can see what looks like a heat spreader to the left of the photo which suggests an electronic component of some kind. You don't want any water touching that.

Check another Fortuner of the same age (preferably even the same batch) to verify the presence of those holes.

Don't meddle with anything unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing. The dealer may not necessarily know the reason for those holes to be present as it's not often they are presented with such a question. They could get back to you after consulting the manufacturer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2024 at 21:16. Reason: typos.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 19:06   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Let's say you do seal the holes, how does water drain from that pan? I can see what looks like a heat spreader to the left of the photo which suggests an electronic component of some kind. You don't want any water touching that.

Check another Fortuner of the same age (Preferably even the same batch) to verify the presence of those holes.
Logical enough. I have seen quite a few Fortuners, all of which have these. The holes are used to mount an auxiliary equipments like additional battery or an on-board air compressor.

I had seen a Youtube video an year ago where an owner raised similar issue which enlightened me of this.

The expert opinions of BHPians always raises eye brows, and I am glad to say that I would be taking the delivery of the Fortuner 4x4 MT on 2nd of June.

Appreciate your responses, SandeepMohan and GetSurya.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st May 2024 at 21:16. Reason: quoted post edited.
Old 2nd June 2024, 08:18   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Firstly, It isn't a pan, it is just the body shell part which is sloped and it can't hold any water there. Toyota's designs are very standard across geographies of LHD and RHD vehicles. These holes are a part of that design and can mount a dual battery tray, which I have done in my Hilux(also have a Fortuner). Water drain holes are given and are different than the ones with nuts welded for specific mounts. The electric module that is present is water proof or else it would have been fried up long time back due to washing events of the engine bay.

So, don't worry too much and leave them as they are or seal them with a rubber sealant, which can always be pried open later, if need be!!
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 19:02   #1514

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t1f...usp=drive_link

Earlier when I was driving, I noticed a sloshing sound coming from the back doors, every time I braked. It was so evident that I thought I left a bottle of water loose in the back, but when I stopped and checked, I noticed the sound coming from the rear doors. I'd previously seen posts about the drain plugs on these doors, and upon opening them, water came gushing out, and there was a solid amount in there too!

Is this a common problem other owners have seen too? The link attached has a video which shows the evident sound of water in the door, and the water that came out when I opened the drain plug.

Is this a reflection, in any way, of Toyota's recent build quality?
itsnotdeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 14:53   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotdeva View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t1f...usp=drive_link

Earlier when I was driving, I noticed a sloshing sound coming from the back doors, every time I braked. It was so evident that I thought I left a bottle of water loose in the back, but when I stopped and checked, I noticed the sound coming from the rear doors. I'd previously seen posts about the drain plugs on these doors, and upon opening them, water came gushing out, and there was a solid amount in there too!

Is this a common problem other owners have seen too? The link attached has a video which shows the evident sound of water in the door, and the water that came out when I opened the drain plug.

Is this a reflection, in any way, of Toyota's recent build quality?

This is a common issue. Happens with the front left gate on my 2017 Fortuner. Readusting the drain plugs helps but only temporarily.
eRajesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks