Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2024, 10:35   #496
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

Are you planning to change the ugly door stick with something more premium? One of my known was very pissed off with the same.
Old 9th September 2024, 11:02   #497
BHPian

Congratulations @sunikkat on the BMW! If you don’t mind, can you share what kind of deal BMW is offering these days?
livezero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 11:07   #498
BHPian

Congratulations @sunikkat! The car is certainly a looker in white. IMHO it would look even more sporty with black mirror covers.
AsphaltNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 13:16   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
Are you planning to change the ugly door stick with something more premium? One of my known was very pissed off with the same.
Sorry, what are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by livezero View Post
Congratulations @sunikkat on the BMW! If you don’t mind, can you share what kind of deal BMW is offering these days?
Thank you. I think you can get 5 to 6 lakhs these days. 320Ld has more discount. I was lucky enough to get an even better deal (offer was more on 320Ld) on the cars they had in stock which made it real VFM compared to an used one. But the sales guy told me that it was only for August and they sold all their stock units. Its better to visit the showroom and talk, they might come down further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltNomad View Post
Congratulations @sunikkat! The car is certainly a looker in white. IMHO it would look even more sporty with black mirror covers.
Thank you. Agree and it was in my mind and had done in my Octavia too. But the options from BMW were very expensive. I will try something down the road. Thanks for the suggestion.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 15:01   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Thank you. Agree and it was in my mind and had done in my Octavia too. But the options from BMW were very expensive. I will try something down the road. Thanks for the suggestion.
Plenty of after-market support for G20 is available now, I have had OEM and non-OEM mirror covers for my 3 series and there's not much of a quality difference to be honest. Your car already has shadowline trim, so it's just missing the mirror covers which elevate the look even further. You can easily find them on Amazon for 4-5k max and install them yourself.

Also does M Sport Pro ( I am never getting used to that name ) come with M Sport suspension as well? That might attribute to the overall stiffness you are feeling. Mine has base M Sport Suspension ( not the adaptive one) and it's noticeably stiffer than my friends base 3 series.
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 15:21   #501
BHPian

The stalk in the door - circled twice . These earlier were in fashion to lock and unlock the door.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_3542.jpeg

Quote:
Sorry, what are you referring to?
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 15:59   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Plenty of after-market support for G20 is available now, I have had OEM and non-OEM mirror covers for my 3 series and there's not much of a quality difference to be honest. Your car already has shadowline trim, so it's just missing the mirror covers which elevate the look even further. You can easily find them on Amazon for 4-5k max and install them yourself.

Also does M Sport Pro ( I am never getting used to that name ) come with M Sport suspension as well? That might attribute to the overall stiffness you are feeling. Mine has base M Sport Suspension ( not the adaptive one) and it's noticeably stiffer than my friends base 3 series.
Thanks for the lead. I will check with CarMed in Bangalore, they will be able to source something.

M Sport Pro and M Sport (phew, so much for the naming) do not have any change expect cosmetics inside out, adaptive LEDs, parking assistance plus with 360 camera, driving assistance with some lane control etc. Other technical things are same, so no change in suspension. It’s just that I am used to stiffer B6 with 45 profile tyres in Octavia. But 330Li still has that underlying stiffness and I am getting used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
The stalk in the door - circled twice . These earlier were in fashion to lock and unlock the door.

Attachment 2652460
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. Strangely I kind of liked it. But then there is an option to buy M door pin which is very classy and sporty and expensive too. Will pick it sometime later.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_3549.png
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 01:08   #503
BHPian

Congratulations on your new car @Sunikkat! Wish your and family the best

I've explored the said options for adaptive dampers for my 340i but have found few and far between. BMW Middle East has it as an official option at configuration (I don't know if they sell it as after-market).

But that would mean importing it from BMW AED, then asking your local BMW dealer to install. BMW India told me that they would not support such an install. I am guessing all of this instantly voids multiple warranties since you have made changes to official configured components (Please correct me if I'm wrong). The most important bit, we don't even know if this provides any comparable advantage that might be worth the cost.

Personal anecdote: All of this aside, when my brother drove my car and I told him the ride is stiff and he said (he's previously owned the x1), BMWs have always had a stiff ride quality. So, get used to it!

If we can't change the car, I have learnt to change my driving style.

*Just my personal experience and opinions*

Last edited by BeMyWings : 10th September 2024 at 01:14. Reason: Made some corrections for grammar and phrasing.
BeMyWings is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 09:52   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Congratulations on your new car @Sunikkat! Wish your and family the best

I've explored the said options for adaptive dampers for my 340i but have found few and far between. BMW Middle East has it as an official option at configuration (I don't know if they sell it as after-market).

But that would mean importing it from BMW AED, then asking your local BMW dealer to install. BMW India told me that they would not support such an install. I am guessing all of this instantly voids multiple warranties since you have made changes to official configured components (Please correct me if I'm wrong). The most important bit, we don't even know if this provides any comparable advantage that might be worth the cost.

Personal anecdote: All of this aside, when my brother drove my car and I told him the ride is stiff and he said (he's previously owned the x1), BMWs have always had a stiff ride quality. So, get used to it!

If we can't change the car, I have learnt to change my driving style.

*Just my personal experience and opinions*
Thanks buddy for the the wishes and suggestions. You have got a special car.

Yes, agree, it’s not worth doing any changes on the suspension. And also I won’t do anything during the warranty period. My concern was more on suspension being more on softer side compared to my Octavia with B6. But as I am driving it in the last few days, I am recognising that the ride quality is perfect and car is more stable at higher speeds. So at this stage, no plans of changing anything. I am loving every moment of driving this awesome machine.

Also on another topic, cross posting from M340i thread. There is a demo M340i for sale with Deutsche Motoren which has run <5k kms and going at a good discount. So if anyone interested, I can provide the sales guy number. He did mention it will get sold soon.

Last edited by sunikkat : 10th September 2024 at 09:54.
Old 12th September 2024, 09:48   #505

Quote:
Finally got the 330Li delivered today. It was like a dream come true. Initially had booked black but then changed to white. After seeing both the cars next to each other today, I am happy with white considering the blackened elements in M Sport Pro. The showroom was very busy today with many deliveries of X1, 3 series and couple of M340i and 530 Li.
Congratulations Sunikkat!
I also took delivery of the 330i MSport Pro last Friday from Deutsche Motoren BLR (late in the evening)!
Mine is a Portimao Blue. Had initially booked the black myself and then changed to blue.

I had doubts until I saw the car - in 3 seconds, I knew it was the right choice!

Thoroughly impressed by the car - Absolutely loving it everytime I look at it, sit in it, drive it! (To be fair, I did upgrade from a 2010 Alto K10 - another car I love!)

Wanted to get your insights on some good practices as I drive through BLR stop-start traffic and pothole-ridden roads. Any insights would help me greatly as I have no idea what are some good to-dos.

Thank you.

Last edited by KarthikK : 12th September 2024 at 09:56. Reason: Removed a redundant phrase :)
Raikkonen07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 12:49   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen07 View Post
Congratulations Sunikkat!
I also took delivery of the 330i MSport Pro last Friday from Deutsche Motoren BLR (late in the evening)!
Mine is a Portimao Blue. Had initially booked the black myself and then changed to blue.

I had doubts until I saw the car - in 3 seconds, I knew it was the right choice!

Thoroughly impressed by the car - Absolutely loving it everytime I look at it, sit in it, drive it! (To be fair, I did upgrade from a 2010 Alto K10 - another car I love!)

Wanted to get your insights on some good practices as I drive through BLR stop-start traffic and pothole-ridden roads. Any insights would help me greatly as I have no idea what are some good to-dos.

Thank you.
Oh great to know, congratulations buddy. What time were you there in the showroom for delivery? Missed meeting you. That was one of my favourite colour too, but then most of the cars I end up buying white. Please do post pictures.

Oh totally loving the car too. Feels very luxury and sporty at the same time. Since I use i20 for city drives, did not get much chance to drive. Waiting for the weekend now

Only thing that I follow is drive carefully on bad roads and put the car to N at all signals. And the normal things that we follow on Turbo engines, not to rev hard during cold start and after heavy and fast driving let the engine cool down. Also since the car is new I am trying to keep it within the rev range.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 14:11   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only thing that I follow is drive carefully on bad roads and put the car to N at all signals.
Is this step at all required in a modern TC gearbox like the ZF8?

I can understand the fear factor coming from a Skoda DSG, but I feel this shifting to N is actually counterproductive in the G20/28 + ZF8 combo.

In my case, I exclusively use the Auto-hold function but not the irritating Auto-Start-Stop feature. Hence, when I come to a halt the ZF8 immediately decouples from the engine and the brakes are automatically set to the fully activated position.

Glad to hear any comments (for or against) my practice.

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th September 2024 at 14:28.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 14:55   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is this step at all required in a modern TC gearbox like the ZF8?

I can understand the fear factor coming from a Skoda DSG, but I feel this shifting to N is actually counterproductive in the G20/28 + ZF8 combo.

In my case, I exclusively use the Auto-hold function but not the irritating Auto-Start-Stop feature. Hence, when I come to a halt the ZF8 immediately decouples from the engine and the brakes are automatically set to the fully activated position.

Glad to hear any comments (for or against) my practice.
Thanks for this, I was just following this practice since used to do same for DSG gearbox. Now if this is not the right way for ZF8, I would be happy to use the Auto hold function.

It’s actually frustrating to have the auto start and stop kicking in. Any expert advise please?
Old 12th September 2024, 15:37   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now if this is not the right way for ZF8, I would be happy to use the Auto hold function.
It’s actually frustrating to have the auto start and stop kicking in. Any expert advise please?
A significant portion of G20/28 owners (that I know of), find the Auto-hold to be 'grabby' both at the stopping / release moments, and hence avoid using it in heavy stop-start traffic. Luckily, my driving is on roads with slightly more smoother traffic (i.e. moving slowly), and hence that 'grabbiness' doesn't get to me that much. It's totally your call but - maybe try it for a few days and see how it goes?

In your LCI, I believe the Auto-Start-Stop either cannot be switched off or can be done only by going into the MFD menus/sub-menus. Check and let us know?

In my BiL's 2024 X3M40i in the US, it cannot be switched off, but maybe that is a US-only quirk to meet CAFE requirements.

Further, does your 330Li LCI have a 48v mild hybrid system complete with a separate Li-ion battery in the engine compartment? If so, your A-S-S should be comparatively smooth, compared to the pre-LCI G20/28 models which came with the usual single 12v battery under the spare wheel in the boot. In my MY16 330i, the A-S-S clumsily switches off the engine regularly at key moments, which unnerves me. The start-up also has a little shudder which I hate.

Hence my default Therbligs are to get in, wear my seatbelt, lock the doors, switch on the engine and switch off A-S-S.

Some funda on this 48v system:
https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/08/23/b...-mild-hybrids/

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th September 2024 at 15:39.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 17:46   #510
BHPian

AFAIK, in an automatic transmission, shifting to neutral while halting at a signal will reduce the clutch wear and tear albeit improving upon the gear shifting efficiency while in motion subsequently.

While technology may have a great deal of finesse, but the basic principle will still remain the same. At a signal stop with gears engaged in automatic transmission, IMHO, the energy produced by the engine and transmitted to the gear box will have to be compensated by brakes and wear and tear of clutch and gears. Neutral at signal is thus both saving on fuel and the wear and tear.
Motorfanatic1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed