Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2024, 23:12   #451
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
I’m not sure how to calculate the mileage or is it displayed by the instrument cluster?
Ashish, on the home screen you will see an app for Vehicle, click that it should take you to Live Vehicle, click that and it will take you to Content and then Journey data. That will show you the mileage. It can show you mileage per trip, since last refuel and since you got it from the factory.

As a tip, download the BMW guide app, its quite useful in figuring these things out.

Lovely pics, wish you safe travels!
BeMyWings is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 07:19   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsivemedusa View Post
A few questions:
1. Madhu's strongly recommended going for tubeless but the moment they heard that the car is still in BRI (I had extended it by 1 year) they said it is better to go for RFTs. That was sound advise as my BMW SA also said any change in tyres to tubeless would void warranty. But indeed if tubeless tyres void warranty, are they good to go for?
2. I now have 2 front tyers with 5000 km of life left and two back ones which are absolutely new. Should I have gone for all 4?
Just to confirm, you’re running 4 x 225/50/17 Turanza RFTs now with the 2 new tyres on the rear axle? If true, then that is the most reasonable and VFM choice as of now.

If it’s the M Sport one then I guess it will have a staggered 225/255 combo. In that case also, picking up 2 new rears was the best bet.

If you wanted tubeless you’d have to change all 4 as one should not mix and match tubeless and RFTs on a high performance car, due to their differing handling characteristics.

Don’t take SA words at face value. BMW globally are shifting back to tubeless after innumerable complaints (just Google) from irate RFT customers. Many owners I know have moved over to tubeless, and I haven’t heard of any warranty denial yet.

EDIT: I hope you brought back the undamaged used tyre? Keep it somewhere and it will help you temporarily if you blow another out!

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th July 2024 at 07:32.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 07:39   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Just to confirm, you’re running 4 x 225/50/17 Turanza RFTs now with the 2 new tyres on the rear axle? If true, then that is the most reasonable and VFM choice as of now.
Yes. Bridgestone ones. The rear ones are Pirelli P7 now. Thanks for the reassurance!

Quote:
If you wanted tubeless you’d have to change all 4 as one should not mix and match tubeless and RFTs on a high performance car, due to their differing handling characteristics.
Yes. And I believe the front ones will come to 35k kms probably. The only problem is that with this staggered change, I'll either need to ditch the RFTs with some life left and go for tubeless when the front ones wear out or renew RFTs for the front ones as well.

Quote:
Don’t take SA words at face value. BMW globally are shifting back to tubeless after innumerable complaints (just Google) from irate RFT customers. Many owners I know have moved over to tubeless, and I haven’t heard of any warranty denial yet.
Ok. This is interesting. Will Google. Thanks again.

Quote:
EDIT: I hope you brought back the undamaged used tyre? Keep it somewhere and it will help you temporarily if you blow another out!
Yes!

Last edited by Impulsivemedusa : 6th July 2024 at 07:41. Reason: Just a tech correction on the RFT change
Impulsivemedusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 15:12   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Long story short, in summation, use 91 with additives when you have no options. Else, as far as possible, plan and use 95 Octane. The engine is designed to handle both.
I had never paid attention to the type of fuel my car was drinking. But its high time to check it's diet. Can you share what type of additives are to be added to the 91 octane fuel and will we get these at the fuel station itself?

In a small town like ours, the pumps usually don't stock 95 octane fuel.
Old 6th July 2024, 22:01   #455
BHPian

If XP95 isn't available, I'd suggest stick with Power, Speed and the likes. If available, Shell's good as well. In my opinion, its best to use fuel where the petro company has done the research and used additives.

If you are feeling adventurous, Liqui Moly and STP have octane boosters availabe on Amazon (I haven't tried them so I can't really testify to their effectiveness. Maybe someone more knowledgeable would be able to clarify).

Before adding anything extra, please check with BMW and their service advisors so as to not be at the risk of voiding your warranty.

Rest assured, the car runs fine on 91 Octane, it doesn't cause it any harm whatsoever
BeMyWings is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 00:52   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsivemedusa View Post
A few questions:
1. Madhu's strongly recommended going for tubeless but the moment they heard that the car is still in BRI (I had extended it by 1 year) they said it is better to go for RFTs. That was sound advise as my BMW SA also said any change in tyres to tubeless would void warranty. But indeed if tubeless tyres void warranty, are they good to go for?
Some OEMs and dealerships just like making up reasons to void warranty since they can save quite a lot of money when they don't have to replace expensive components free of cost. It won't cause any harm at all, most people just put the original tyre back on when they take it to the dealer for service so they don't void it. Only way to cause harm is by using spacers or very different tyre sizes than OEM.
Old 7th July 2024, 09:23   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
In a small town like ours, the pumps usually don't stock 95 octane fuel.
Don't stress about RON91. The BMW petrols are historically absolutely safe on it, and in fact most owners ran on RON91 only before XP95 became available from IOCL.

It makes a difference if you are constantly high-revving and/or taking your vehicle to race events, but I guess that is not the case here.

You can as your dealer itself for the OEM BMW additive: https://www.amazon.in/BMW-Petrol-Fue.../dp/B0162VXWHS or any of the reputed ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
Rest assured, the car runs fine on 91 Octane, it doesn't cause it any harm whatsoever
Absolutely true. Even if not freely available, whenever it is available a full tank should clean out any the fuelling components quote effectively.

Best option is to locate a couple of reputed fuel bunks (COCO is ideal) and exclusively but whatever is available from them.
Old 15th July 2024, 23:22   #458
BHPian

Black grille installed

Changed the front grille to black slatted grille from carcraft. Atlast I have gotten rid of that silver grin.
Looks okay with skyscraper grey metallic. Loses a bit of limousine characterstic, but I am relieved of all those chrome except from the wheels.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_3753.jpg
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_3755.jpg

Planning to get a spoiler for the boot lid, but not available at any online source.
sandygordon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 00:42   #459
BHPian

Looks neat in the skyscraper grey In the future you can choose to change the alloys to the black ones to give it that dark look. Plus, won't BMW have the spoiler/boiler boot-lid available as an add on?

p.s. I was in love with the Skyscraper Grey combo with black wheels for the M340i, had to "settle" for the blue with regular wheels. Most likely going to go full Richard Burns and get me some bronzed alloys from BBS in the future.
Old 16th July 2024, 16:05   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Black grille installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Planning to get a spoiler for the boot lid, but not available at any online source.
Google for Dealkarde based in AMD and ping them. I bought my SWB one from them and had it painted. Unless I'm mistaken the boot-lid is the same shape in the LWB as well.

It may not look 100% OEM but then BMW was asking for some astronomical 30K++ for the identical accessory.
Old 18th July 2024, 05:53   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme Torque View Post
3. Coded in and out quite a few features like Sport Plus, Comfort Plus, Exhaust Valve, M Logo, M Dash, Seatbelt chime, 80/120 speed dongs etc.
Hey, thanks for sharing.

I have the 2024 330Li and I really want to amp up the sound on this thing:

1. Will coding in the Sport Plus and Exhaust Valve modes void any warranty?

2. I want to get both in-cabin "iconic sounds" and some outside pops and bangs like the regular pre-LCI 330i had, is it possible without any flash and while keeping the warranty intact?

3. Are there any good slip-on exhausts available for the 330Li? I read somewhere that slip-ons don't void the warranty. And those seem to be my only option as my dealer refuses to help me import the M-performance exhaust unless it's a 340i, which is a few inches shorter.

4. I saw in a video that you could pull the valve plug on the stock exhaust to force the valve to remain open at all times, how safe would that be?

My goal here is to get the best sound (even if through speakers - I know this is not for everyone but I would love to have the option) while ensuring the warranty is intact.

I am a total beginner when it comes to any mods so would really appreciate all the help here.
Old 18th July 2024, 18:06   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3riller View Post
I have the 2024 330Li and I really want to amp up the sound on this thing:
A SWB owner's thoughts:

1. Depending upon the BLR dealer it might be but only for related warranty issues later on. Almost everyone does these basic mods - yet to hear of anyone whose warranty has been denied.

3.DM has definitely fitted at least one MPE onto a Li/Ld. Check with them - no idea about warranty though.

4. Totally safe and I did that for many months. Does make it lively! Has no effect electronically but do wrap the open ends in high-end tape.
Old 18th July 2024, 20:45   #463

Thanks, gives me the confidence I needed. I'm going to go ahead with these mods using Esys:

1. Sport+ driving mode with Sport+ Engine and Transmission setting.
2. Iconic Sounds
3. Rear camera zoom
4. One touch closing of Tailgate from keyfob and driver side button.
5. Lane change blinker to 5 times.
6. Bowers and Wilkins sound tuning and profiles.
7. Engine start-stop memory.

The following can't be coded in the 2023/2024 330Li:
Exhaust flap setting, 330 top speed on speedo and M Sport Display with text, sport displays.

I am choosing not to alter the 80/120 speed warnings because I don't want it fully removed. Wanted to get them changed to 100/150 so I can overtake in peace but seems that is not possible. These can only be disabled not modified.

Quote:
4. Totally safe and I did that for many months. Does make it lively! Has no effect electronically but do wrap the open ends in high-end tape.
The coder has suggested not to remove the exhaust valve cable because it will most likely cause a perpetual check engine light unless I plug it back in. What has been your experience? Any tutorial you can share on how to do it right?

Would still be looking to get some sort of slip-on muffler so that I can switch back to stock later easily when needed.

Also anyone looking to get these mods, note that you'll need to get them done again after a software upgrade. You can of course choose to deny an upgrade during service but sometimes they have to do it.
3riller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 07:02   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3riller View Post
The coder has suggested not to remove the exhaust valve cable because it will most likely cause a perpetual check engine light unless I plug it back in. What has been your experience? Any tutorial you can share on how to do it right?
Did not get a CEL from the exhaust flap thingy, and not heard of it from the Bimmer forums. You can try it anyway; it’s a 5 minute DIY. I tried it for a month but found it a bit too boomy and noisy for regular use.

Bought my MPE later and did not need it since :-).
Old 19th July 2024, 07:57   #465

Thanks for the help! Also I was just reading on whether these Esys codes and flap cable changes void the warranty and what I've concluded is it's going to be a grey area. I got a remote software upgrade notification in the app on the day of delivery but upon delivery the another notification said the update failed and I need to get it done during service.

Now in the event that BMW detects it and for some reason flags it to the HQ to void my warranty in case of future claims, you bet imma go Stage 2+ on this thing lol.
3riller is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks