Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 11:54   #331

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

GJ/DD in Karnataka won’t strike the status chord. Above all, KA reg charges is the highest in India (correct me, if otherwise) followed by Kerala. So, price matching with DD is out of question.

Also, as the new 5 is inbound, one can rather wait albeit for a polarising looks and much higher price. But may be that’s how the coming years are like to be.

In my opinion, the 3 Gran limousine surpasses the regular 3 in terms of finishing quality and represents a significant improvement over the previous generation. Wishing you many enjoyable miles ahead!
Sankarsiv3060 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 18:16   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankarsiv3060 View Post

In my opinion, the 3 Gran limousine surpasses the regular 3 in terms of finishing quality and represents a significant improvement over the previous generation. Wishing you many enjoyable miles ahead!
I thought the F30 LCI is where the design peaked, but boy this is kind of growing on me, not fully yet, but yes this gen 3 is good, but lacks in the VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
You can also do a Western Ghats trip. It’s beautiful this time of the year. Drive the Samruddhi to Mumbai and snake your way down towards Goa. However, on some stretches road quality leaves much to be desired.
What are the road conditions from Mumbai to Goa and down to North Karnataka? Is it advisable to do a road trip on a 3 series?

Last edited by graaja : 10th September 2023 at 18:45. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Multiquote feature
Old 10th September 2023, 20:11   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavrayudu View Post
I thought the F30 LCI is where the design peaked, but boy this is kind of growing on me, not fully yet, but yes this gen 3 is good, but lacks in the VFM.

Agree. Also, VFM is out of the window for any car now. We are getting an old brother.

I may end up guarding a few last of the best cars of this generation. Like the old man in the Gran Torino movie.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th September 2023 at 21:01. Reason: fixed quote.
Sankarsiv3060 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 07:56   #334

11,500km Update

Hope you all are doing well !

Done with a satisfying 11,500km in 9 months of delivery along with a smooth first service. Majority of the kms were on highways stretching towards Mumbai, Goa, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad. All were self driven

The car has been simply fantastic with no issues, rattles, niggles thus far. Service experience at BMW Bavaria in Pune was good - prompt and transparent, with a turnaround on the same day. It was a basic service with engine oil and air filter change.

Having spent about 9 months with the car, following are a few highlights:
- Engine gearbox combination works like a charm, effortless and sporty - blends beautifully for my driving style !
- My preferred driving mode is ‘comfort’ with ‘sport’ transmission (slot gear lever to left) on the highways, with occasional bursts in ‘sport’ mode. I just can’t get enough of this !
- Ride quality is supple - well tuned for comfort and performance.
- The car able to tackle broken / no roads for a good 15-20km near Ajara back in June (enroute Goa) without a sweat, of course had to take it ease on the throttle.
- All round visibility and sensors make it quite easy to maneuver the car in city traffic.
- Sound system, AC, CarPlay, sun roof were used regularly and worked as expected.
- We found the boot size sufficient for a family of 3 to pack in a weeks luggage.
- GC is sufficient as I have not yet scraped the underbelly with 4 occupants and luggage.
- Speed gongs have been a pain from day 1, have learnt to live with it.

Questions:
- In eco-pro mode, the car seems to coast quite a bit without A-pedal input. Also, the graphic on MID shows a battery like icon. Is there some sort of regen / hybrid battery tech built in ?
- Does the engine / exhaust sound get piped in the cabin somehow or generated artificially from the speakers ? Is there a setting in iDrive to adjust it ?

Overall, very satisfied with the purchase thus far and looking forward to more long trips.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_4005.jpeg  

tech_mate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 09:43   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_mate View Post
- In eco-pro mode, the car seems to coast quite a bit without A-pedal input. Also, the graphic on MID shows a battery like icon. Is there some sort of regen / hybrid battery tech built in ?
That battery icon is there in all modes, just that in EcoPro the tachometer gets replaced by the fuel efficiency meter.

In Sport mode also you can have the MID show you the fuel efficiency reading.

That battery sign that shows it’s getting charged while coasting is the battery for the start-stop system.

First Case: In Eco-Pro mode with battery charged, auto start-stop on and engine has been shut by the system:
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-a7f3aab8e9c14ba8a27b5f9e83ec9058.jpeg

Second Case: In Sport mode where auto start-stop is off and engine hasn’t been switched off by the system, but while coasting battery will still continue to get charged:
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-222fdb963d27402698807b31c37602f1.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 24th September 2023 at 09:47.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 22:27   #336
BHPian

Gave my car for engine oil service at 18k kms as per the CBS to Kun BMW (nee Navnit) in Hosur Road Bengaluru.

I had fixed-up an appointment slot with them for this Tuesday morning (7th Nov) and accordingly arrived there. I parked my car, reported to the reception and was told that one Mr. Abdul would attend me in a bit. A full twenty minutes passed and no one of the 3 people in the reception area bothered to look up from their laptop monitors. I had to interrupt their busy routine twice to understand one of the heads peering into the monitor was Mr. Abdul. He then asked for the key and after another wait walked with me to the car.

I blurted out the rattles in the car and how rattled I was with them. He listened and when I suggested that we should go for a drive to understand the noises better, he politely turned the idea down assuring me that the service center folks would look into the same. He then completed the formalities and during the process I stressed twice that I'd like the rattles to be resolved. I left the service center around 10:30.

Got a call 4ish that evening stating that my car is ready. Mr. Abdul gushed that they found the causes behind the rattles and have resolved them (after I prompted him about the rattles) and the car can be taken. I requested for a drop and he arranged for the same.

The car arrived and to my utter dismay I found that the rattles remained. I doubt if anyone even attended to them. I called up Mr. Abdul and told him about this and he defended that they had test driven the car till they found that the rattles were resolved to their satisfaction. After a few back and forth he now says he'll get my car to the showroom the weekend after next. He mentioned about the feedback form that BMW would send and I have told him that the kindest I can be is to refrain from giving any feedback till the issue is resolved. But I now have no confirmation from the service center that my car would get picked up.

Please let me know if I should escalate or should I wait till the weekend after next.
Impulsivemedusa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 05:45   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
That battery sign that shows it’s getting charged while coasting is the battery for the start-stop system.
Does the G20 330i/d/Li/Ld have a separate battery like the M340ix LCI now has? I don't think so as the new 48v system is yet to be introduced for the B48/46 4 cylinder range. As far as I know, there is a single big AGM battery in the boot that handles everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsivemedusa View Post
I blurted out the rattles in the car and how rattled I was with them. He listened and when I suggested that we should go for a drive to understand the noises better, he politely turned the idea down assuring me that the service center folks would look into the same.

The car arrived and to my utter dismay I found that the rattles remained. I doubt if anyone even attended to them.

He mentioned about the feedback form that BMW would send and I have told him that the kindest I can be is to refrain from giving any feedback till the issue is resolved.
Can understand your predicament as Navnit Bellary Road pulled the same trick with 330i with severe sunroof creaking issues. I am afraid you erred in not insisting on a in-person test drive at both ends, and also accepting their drop-off service. I know it is easier said than done with work commitments / traffic / waste of bandwidth etc., but now you are at their mercy as it sounds as if they have closed the job card.

I suggest you escalate! Why should you have to suffer and wait? They have obviously charged BMW India with the BSI costs, and are now probably unofficially trying to manage the issue. Not acceptable I feel.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2023, 06:56   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsivemedusa View Post

The car arrived and to my utter dismay I found that the rattles remained. I doubt if anyone even attended to them. I called up Mr. Abdul and told him about this and he defended that they had test driven the car till they found that the rattles were resolved to their satisfaction.
Your experience with BMW service and the rattles in G20 is unfortunately not that uncommon.

1. The rattles in G20 are well documented from all over the world - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1773492.

2. Try the Deutsche Motoren service center in Whitefield instead of Kun. Ask for Mr. Aftab Mehti. He and his manager are familiar with common troublesome areas that trigger these rattles - the Sunroof, rear seat parcel tray, door trim/rubber seal contact (even more pronounced in the M Sport trim) and so on.

3. You don't need to do any favor to the Kun team by holding off on the survey from BMW. If the sequence of events is as you described, the complaint that you raised hasn't been addressed by Kun. They usually come off their high horse occasionally with a bad rating. That's just my 2 cents.
jfk1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 08:32   #339
BHPian

Has anyone managed aftermarket window curtains for the 330i long wheelbase?
Old 20th November 2023, 14:49   #340

I took a test drive of the 3GL recently. I was very surprised by the floaty boat like ride. The car literally bounces a little and the suspension feels a little floaty on smoother roads.

Then the longer wheelbase made the handling a bit slow though the car can do straight line speed as good as any BMW. The wheelbase really makes its presence felt in changing lanes. The interiors are typical BMW class though.

Does no one else kind of feel that way? I feel BMW has really shortchanged us by removing the option of the 330i altogether. When one wants to drive a BMW, one expects a certain tight exciting ride. Ideally they should keep both cars. The normal for their true driving feel and the other to make money.

Else I feel the A4 is a much better deal than going for the 3GL.
Old 20th November 2023, 15:52   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie View Post
I took a test drive of the 3GL recently. I was very surprised by the floaty boat like ride. The car literally bounces a little and the suspension feels a little floaty on smoother roads.

Then the longer wheelbase made the handling a bit slow though the car can do straight line speed as good as any BMW. The wheelbase really makes its presence felt in changing lanes. The interiors are typical BMW class though.

Does no one else kind of feel that way? I feel BMW has really shortchanged us by removing the option of the 330i altogether. When one wants to drive a BMW, one expects a certain tight exciting ride. Ideally they should keep both cars. The normal for their true driving feel and the other to make money.

You could opt for a used 330i. Not sure of how well the 330 stands the test of time and if you can extend the warranty. I’ve seen a few 2020s in the range of 35-45L, 20k on the odo.
Old 20th November 2023, 20:50   #342
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to drive both cars back to back, the SWB and the LWB. I did on a twisty as well as a flat straight and I found the LWB as a good balance. I don’t really feel there is a float that robs you a thrill of a BMW RWD sedan.

Last edited by cedricsg : 20th November 2023 at 20:53.
Old 30th November 2023, 18:14   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I suggest you escalate! Why should you have to suffer and wait? They have obviously charged BMW India with the BSI costs, and are now probably unofficially trying to manage the issue. Not acceptable I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
3. You don't need to do any favor to the Kun team by holding off on the survey from BMW. If the sequence of events is as you described, the complaint that you raised hasn't been addressed by Kun. They usually come off their high horse occasionally with a bad rating. That's just my 2 cents.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I made Kun take back the car and solve for the noise and said that I won't want it back till the rattle settles down. They took the car a couple of weeks back (arranged a pick-up) and after test driving and solving for the rattle gave the car back last Wed. I came back earlier today from a business trip and drove it and my trained ears couldn't pick the now-familiar tut-tut-tut. So looks like a happy ending for now. My wife had done a conditional sign-off on the job card stating that the rattle needs customer testing when they had dropped the car last week. If this calm continues in my office ride tomorrow, will be happy to report back to them that this seems to have been resolved. Again, indebted for all those suggestions. Thanks
Impulsivemedusa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 15:24   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
You could opt for a used 330i. Not sure of how well the 330 stands the test of time and if you can extend the warranty. I’ve seen a few 2020s in the range of 35-45L, 20k on the odo.
I managed to test drive a 330i and let me tell you that now I understand the craze for a 3 series. The normal 3 series handles like a dream over twisties and straight roads. There is no boat like floatiness and the suspension feels tight and oh so sweet.

Sadly that test drive has ruined other cars for me. I am not sure I can now willingly buy a 3GL or the A4 with the knowledge that BMW makes such a beautiful ride as the normal 3 series. The drive was phenomenal. I am sad that BMW does not offer the normal 3 for people who just want a front seat driving experience.
Old 10th December 2023, 14:55   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It was the other way around for me with the diesel grand limo. Engine tuning seemed off, with it reving up rather high to accelerate and I kept waiting for the wall of torque but it never came. Felt more like a CVT than an 8 speed (Note: I have only driven it for a few kms so maybe I just didn't have enough time get used to it) I guess they tuned it that way for a smooth chauffeur driven experience. But handling was great. Maybe I didn't take those curves fast enough

May I also recommend trying the W206 C class? It has ground clearance issues compared to bmw but it's also better in other ways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks