Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2023, 22:05   #271

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

@330 GL owners,

How practical is the 330 GL boot space? Would it be possible to accommodate 4 cabin size trolley bags with the spare tyre included? Any inputs on practical usage of GL boot space would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old 14th March 2023, 21:02   #272
BHPian

Got the 330Li LCI in carbon black. Taking delivery next week! Picture from the dealership yard below.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-b08b508acfc94620bd7d1bf3376a7bf0.jpeg
ashish2135 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 21:48   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2 JANZ View Post
@330 GL owners,

How practical is the 330 GL boot space? Would it be possible to accommodate 4 cabin size trolley bags with the spare tyre included? Any inputs on practical usage of GL boot space would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
4 cabin bags may be a squeeze but I guess will fit. Boot is not large but not bad either. Can easily fit in bags of 3-4 people for a long weekend trips.

Last edited by manson : 16th March 2023 at 19:22. Reason: Typo.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:14   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2 JANZ View Post
@330 GL owners,
Any inputs on practical usage of GL boot space would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Not sure about the 4 trolley cases but I’ve managed to fit 2 carry-ons, 2 mid size duffels, a bag pack, a laptop bag and an “Indian family” sized bag of knick knacks with room to spare. The boot is not as bad as people make it out to be. It’s easier to cram in more stuff if you use small suitcases paired up with soft luggage.
revsperminute is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 18:41   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
4 cabin bags may be a squeeze but i guess will fit. Boot is not large but not bad either. Can easily fit in bags of 3-4 people for a long weekend trips.
Thanks! It looks like two cabin/mid size will fit and rest has to be soft luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Not sure about the 4 trolley cases but I’ve managed to fit 2 carry-ons, 2 mid size duffels, a bag pack, a laptop bag and an “Indian family” sized bag of knick knacks with room to spare. The boot is not as bad as people make it out to be. It’s easier to cram in more stuff if you use small suitcases paired up with soft luggage.
Thanks a lot! This helps. This is a beast to drive and luggage space is the only concern.

Last edited by ampere : 16th March 2023 at 19:21. Reason: back to back posts merged
G2 JANZ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 21:16   #276
BHPian

I’m noticing a very peculiar thing with the 3. Every time I come to a complete stop, let’s say at a traffic light, the brakes behave weirdly when the car slows down past 10Kmph. Even if I maintain the same amount of pressure on the pedal, the car stops abruptly with a jolt felt inside. Initially, I assumed I must be mistaken because I was driving it after a long period of time but I’ve driven it for around ~75kms since yesterday and I still can’t bring the car to a stop smoothly.

Any ideas on what’s going on?

PS- Tried switching off Auto Hold, no effect.
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:16   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I’m noticing a very peculiar thing with the 3.
PS- Tried switching off Auto Hold, no effect.
Not at all normal even though I drive a G20 SWB; fundamentals are same.

How long was it left 'undriven'? How many kilometres right now? No rat bite scope I hope? Auto-hold is grabby but not so crass in real life
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:40   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not at all normal even though I drive a G20 SWB; fundamentals are same.

How long was it left 'undriven'? How many kilometres right now? No rat bite scope I hope? Auto-hold is grabby but not so crass in real life
Exactly. Not just for this model but no car should do this. And the auto-hold is jumpy while pulling off, not when coming to a stop.

It wasn’t left undriven really. The car covers about 250-300km/month. It’s at ~9k kms currently. No rat bites. The pads were replaced on all four corners but that was a few months ago. There’s no irregularities in braking besides the jolts.
Old 23rd March 2023, 06:25   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Every time I come to a complete stop, let’s say at a traffic light, the brakes behave weirdly when the car slows down past 10Kmph. Even if I maintain the same amount of pressure on the pedal, the car stops abruptly with a jolt felt inside. Any ideas on what’s going on?
Did you check the PDC setting in iDrive? Specifically, check the brake intervention sensitivity - I am not in my car currently and therefore can't send the exact menu setting. It could be that you've had traffic on the side or rear when you are slowing down and the car is just braking aggressively due to this setting.

Check
iDrive -> CAR -> Settings -> Driver Assistance -> Parking and Maneuvering

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd March 2023 at 07:50. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
jfk1975 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 09:22   #280
BHPian

Update

Went out late last night for a spirited drive of 60kms. The jolts were much less perceptible while pulling back into the house. I’ll observe the car over the next couple of days and update the thread. I also checked the rotors for any uneven wear and found them to be in ship shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk1975 View Post
Did you check the PDC setting in iDrive? Specifically, check the brake intervention sensitivity
Check
iDrive -> CAR -> Settings -> Driver Assistance -> Parking and Maneuvering
I’ll definitely check on this but the jolts were present even while pulling up to an empty traffic light. Usually, the parking sensors get triggered before any intervention from the brakes.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:18   #281
BANNED

Thats because of the auto hold function and start stop messing with the way your brake feels. Disable both of them and you will see the brakes have a very linear and predictable feel
Old 19th April 2023, 00:06   #282
BHPian

Hi, Does anyone know what is the difference in suspension between the regular 3 series and the LWB? Is it the shocks or the springs or both? Is swapping the LWB suspension with the regular one for better driving experience a good idea? Thinking of going with either Bilstein B4 or B6 if its gonna be worth the swap.
Old 19th April 2023, 06:41   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunsedanlover View Post
Hi, Does anyone know what is the difference in suspension between the regular 3 series and the LWB? Is it the shocks or the springs or both?
What exactly do you mean by "difference in suspension"?

1. Suspension is not just shocks and springs. As a vehicle subsystem, the suspension includes the suspension architecture, springs, dampers/shocks, stabilizer (anti-roll) bar, bushings, bump stops, structural components (control arms and so on), etc.

2. The suspension architecture between standard and long wheelbase versions is the same. McPherson front and Multi-link rear.

3. Exact numbers would be something that only OEMs (BMW in this case) would know/have. Unless they've officially published the data, you will just see some numbers floating around in tuner forums, which are unlikely to be accurate, but close enough.

Quote:
Is swapping the LWB suspension with the regular one for better driving experience a good idea? Thinking of going with either Bilstein B4 or B6 if its gonna be worth the swap.
Given that suspension goes beyond just springs and dampers, it is unlikely that you are really looking at a suspension change. The question you need to be able to answer for yourself first is - What is it that you are trying to improve from the stock setup? Bilstein, in general, is a great upgrade from most OEM dampers, but reflect a bit on what you really want out of the component swap.

Last edited by jfk1975 : 19th April 2023 at 06:52.
jfk1975 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 16:15   #284
BHPian

Thanks for the elaborate reply.I just need it to ride like a regular 3 series. Don’t want it to be softly sprung. And reduce body roll. What are my options?
Old 19th April 2023, 17:30   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunsedanlover View Post
Thanks for the elaborate reply.I just need it to ride like a regular 3 series. Don’t want it to be softly sprung. And reduce body roll. What are my options?
If you want to reduce body roll, the most common way to get there is by just swapping out the antiroll (stabilizer/sway bar) for a thicker one, with the caveat that you will compromise a bit on ride quality. You can, of course, get there through other means too, but the primary component that solely exists for controlling roll is that one (ergo, the name). Happy motoring.

Last edited by jfk1975 : 19th April 2023 at 17:44.
jfk1975 is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks