Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 16:59   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Nice to see Tata haven’t lost their lackadaisical attention to detail. Nothing surprising.
I`ll give you one clue - try finding a lift handle for the tailgate.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 17:09   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I did notice that when I checked out the “Safari”.

No worries. We have such brain fade Easter eggs in the Hexa and its manual (XMA 4x4??) too. As an owner/customer you get used to the silliness.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 17:14   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
2nd point, while comparing Harrier vs Safari's owners manual, I found out that maximum gradability in Safari is 16.7 degrees as compared to 35%(sic) in Harrier. Why such a big difference? 16.7 degrees is too less for a so called SUV.
16.7deg equals ~30% gradability (tan (16.7)x100) while the 35% would equal about 19 deg (inv tan(35/100)). This should be acceptable considering the longer wheelbase and higher mass of safari for the same powertrain between the two.
iamgyan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 17:39   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's proof that the Tata Safari was originally named the Gravitas only!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilS View Post
Not only that, even in Safari's owners' manual, although they have removed all mentions of Gravitas, but they forgot to change from Gravitas to Safari in Headings under 'Bookmarks Section'. See for yourself:link
I have a feeling a lot of BHPians will soon be firing up their Twitter apps to bombard Mr. Bose's handle

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4975343 (The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 20th April 2021 at 17:41.
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:07   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have a feeling a lot of BHPians will soon be firing up their Twitter apps to bombard Mr. Bose's handle

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4975343 (The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!)
Well in Mr. Bose's defense he just said "Day 1" but did not mention specifically "Day 1" of which year or month

Last edited by 400notout : 20th April 2021 at 20:09.
400notout is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:19   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Well in Mr. Bose's defense he just said "Day 1" but did not mention specifically "Day 1" of which year or month
He does mention which year. If you see the image in the post I have linked, he has written "from 2016, day 1".
comfortablynumb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:32   #787
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Gravitas logo and name in the manual is proof that this was intended as Gravitas from day 1. It is certainly proof that Safari was Gravitas during some part of its development journey. Isn't there a possibility that Bose is still saying the truth?

He as a designer may have been given the mandate to design the next-generation Safari. Some dimwit later decided that they need to reinvent a new brand name to denote the new Tata Motors. Closer to launch from the market research, they learned, that it has got no market recognition and switched back to the original idea. Even if it was named Gravitas from start, the designers could have been instructed to design the spiritual successor to Safari if not a titular successor.

I think it is time to move on from this debate and focus on Safari, the product. We are not gaining anything by scrutinizing this name change. Going by the amount of Safaris I keep seeing on Kerala roads, looks like, it is doing well.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 20th April 2021 at 20:36.
padmrajravi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:43   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
He does mention which year. If you see the image in the post I have linked, he has written "from 2016, day 1".
My bad , He sure did. Anyway like George Costanza famously said "its not a lie if you believe in it"
400notout is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 21:29   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't think the Gravitas logo and name in the manual is proof that this was intended as Gravitas from day 1. It is certainly proof that Safari was Gravitas during some part of its development journey. Isn't there a possibility that Bose is still saying the truth?

He as a designer may have been given the mandate to design the next-generation Safari. Some dimwit later decided that they need to reinvent a new brand name to denote the new Tata Motors. Closer to launch from the market research, they learned, that it has got no market recognition and switched back to the original idea. Even if it was named Gravitas from start, the designers could have been instructed to design the spiritual successor to Safari if not a titular successor.

I think it is time to move on from this debate and focus on Safari, the product. We are not gaining anything by scrutinizing this name change. Going by the amount of Safaris I keep seeing on Kerala roads, looks like, it is doing well.
Or the internal teams were also being surprised with the Safari name 🤷.
I'm not sure how it is "proof" and warrants post after post about how they're all liars and Tata lacks attention to detail.

As padmrajravi says, it is a good car, whether it is called Safari or not. At least it is not like the Mitsubishi Eclipse, which went from a tuner favourite to a CSUV shopping cart.
slango97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 22:16   #790
BHPian

There is a possibility that Tata might enable wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay on Safari via firmware update. Some users on the whatsapp owner's groups who have received delivery in the current month have reported wireless option in the settings, and few had wireless Android Auto working too.
On reaching out to Tata they have been informed that feature is being tested currently and might be rolled out in August or September. As one of the first buyers of the car at launch I do hope they provide the update on all the cars and not just the ones manufactured after certain date. Assuming ofcourse that the reports are correct.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 23:20   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBeans View Post
There is a possibility that Tata might enable wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay on Safari via firmware update.
Tata is taking all possible means to make Safari a niche/flagship product, with the oncoming XUV700 which in all probability will sit in the same price bracket, won’t be surprised to see a few more minor upgrades/accessories options in the coming months.
Old 20th April 2021, 23:24   #792
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's proof that the Tata Safari was originally named the Gravitas only!

When Tata announced that the 7-seater Harrier will be badged as the Safari, I was ecstatic! As far as marketing moves go, this is as good as it gets. I had said so as much in this post.

Some Tata Motors managers however went on record and said that the "Safari badge" was always meant for the car, and denied that it was a last minute change. Well, here's proof that the car was originally called the Gravitas.

Attachment 2146407

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!
The lines of a particular song are apt for this goof up by Tata management:

"Dilwale punchh de ne chhaaaa........oOOOOOOO"
Lowflyer23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 23:33   #793
BANNED

Gentlemen, I have another question:

Does it even matter if it was Gravitas and later names Safari? We accepted it as a masterstroke when done, and let's stay at it instead of trying to be the trolling party. Isn't it?

Being very true, there is a company, there is a product, and its selling with a name. Where is the relevance of what it was supposed to be called and what is it being called now? I am not favoring Tata or Mr. Bose, but I am trying to understand that how does it matter?

That said, we shall still give a medal to Tata for 'attention to detail', Mr. Bose must be sulking over this one

I am sure, the new batches of Safari will have this corrected, while the current owners will be having an update.
VKumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 07:54   #794
BHPian

Even though it is a last minute thought, the change in nomenclature was surely apt. Better late than never! The name of Safari surely have more gravity than Gravitas in any Indian auto enthusiasts mind. And we must admit purchase of an automobile in India surely relates to the emotional strings in one’s mind. Tata just pulled those strings perfectly with their own inventory only. So we should not bash them now for that.
Just hope that this kind of QC miss is not present on the important parts of the car itself!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 08:19   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Good catch - yes, you will need both your hands to open the boot - one to click switch under the logo and another to lift the boot

Few more disappointments... I'm hoping Prathap Bose or his team reads this list and would fix it in future iterations:

Safety:
1. No headrest for the middle row middle seat this would be a safety issue in case of an accident to support the head/neck
2. Crash test report - but i took the leap of faith looking at the record of other TATA cars even the lower cost ones and that Land Rover Discovery Sport chassis had better ratings

Comfort
3. Non adjustable (height/length) arm rest for front seat - the current one is useless and the knob to open it is the push type not as intuitive as the lift type
4. Poor ergonomic positioning of the door opener/lock lever + handle, it is a pinch point
5. How do you open the tail gate??? Use both the hands - one hand to press the unlock switch (under the T logo) and at the same time use the other hand to open the tail... Why not provide a powered tail gate? How about remote opening like swinging the leg?
6. Why doesn't the heavy bonnet get hydraulic struts? if I remember correctly, even the older Safari used to get it!

Dash/HU/Cluster
5. Need front parking sensors (4 not 2) and a camera
6. The two parking sensors on the rear are insufficient, should have gotten at least 4
7. Prefer a 360 camera at this bulk and price point - buyers wont complain a slight price increase
8. HU display size is too small v/s the unit size while it should have covered the entire area.
9. Better reverse cam as the current one pixelates
10. Smaller display in the instrument cluster like the Auto Hold, might be even more difficult for folks with color impairments

Others
11. Lighter interior color is a pain to maintain and I have the beige one, so the white ones even worse off
12. The shiny black bits on the dash are finger print and dust magnets, would have preferred matt instead
13. Parallel switch with the driver to turn on/off blower and lights for 3rd row
14. One touch up/down for all windows

Last edited by AirWind : 21st April 2021 at 08:44.
AirWind is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks