Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2024, 19:36   #2821
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Sure thing. I had dropped my car today and could not reach in time for pick up, so I'll go tomorrow morning. I'll post an update on overall experience and costs then.

In meantime you can check out the TMSC app from Tata motors Service. It can give you a very good idea on what's part of service as per the OEM. It gives costs of spares also and you'd know beforehand the estimate sitting at home.

The estimate was 12.5 K plus for me, but I got a call that actual has come to 15K. There were some add-ons I know. But overall it nowhere feels like a free service - parts are damn expensive. The fuel filter costs upward of 2.5K for example.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 21:21   #2822
BHPian

Hello All,

Got 3rd Free Service (First major Service) done on my Safari . I am sharing the details and overall experience for others to benefit.

**long post alert

@mailtoansh, specially for you as you head for your 3rd Service.

Model - Safari XZA+ Adventure 7S
Kilometers - 10800
Service - 1 year/15000 km/ 3rd Free Service
City - Pune
Service Center - Garve Tata, Hinjewadi near Blue ridge
Drop time- 1000 Hrs 22/07/24
Pick time- 1400 Hrs 23/07/24

Most of the service except wash was done in few hours but I could not go the same day. Hence the next day pick up.

Dent to pocket - Rs.15,267

Prescribed Service Items:
Engine oil change 5 L Synthetic
Wheel Alignment and balancing
Air Con Filter changed
Diesel Filter changed
Sunroof greasing
PM 2.5 Filter
Windshield Fluid
Tyre Rotation
Brake pad cleaning
Consumables

Additional Items

AC Air Duct Clean
DEF 5 litres

#Software not updated, they say its updated already. It was done in Feb last, so I am unsure. They cleared the errors though and say it'll be smooth.

#Overall experience - Very Smooth

#Workshop Facility - Though a smaller SS, it was neat and clean, well organized place. They take limited cars and being Monday morning mine was second car. Place was never overstuffed or cluttered with cars in my 2 visits inn 2days. Overall I'd rate Excellent.

#Staff - Polite and courteous. They hear you. I'd say at par with any other brand SS. Perhaps better.

#Quality of work done -
Based on what I could see, it was excellent. No scratches, no grease marks and properly washed. They even did some rubbing on minor scratches on fender. Proper paper work done in a professional way.

#Cost -

Some of the parts cost seemed prohibitive. Specially the fuel filter, PM2.5 filter and AC filter. I did not get to see even the discarded parts so sadly its left to trust them and no other choice. Even if I can ask for discarded ones, they can bring from any other bin and show me. What I did not like is that it does not look like a free service at all at 15K+ cost. They have put a high charge to damn every thing, even the rags and solvents and grease. Off all things, is tyre rotation also chargeable? Greasing of sunroof, lubrication of door etc. Then what is really done in Free service? Happy to be enlightened if someone can. I must say they are going as per system so this is not dealer or SS specific.

Would I recommend this place? Yes, very much. Overall less/limited load, better attention leading to better quality.

Minor problems that I shared with SS and Response/rectification

Wind noise from driver window - Known Issue
Wiper noise - They did something to arm, noise reduced but not gone completely
Grinding noise while starting to move in mornings (rainy season) - I was told this happens, no big deal. But I see they did brake pad cleaning and charged in bill.
Water dripping from hatch struts long after washing - I was told this is normal
Overall shaking (mild) when trying to accelerate from standstill - I was told this is normal
Left rear speaker gives up at high bass at times - Nothing done and I didn't want them to fiddle much anyway
All window panes come up wet if rolled down and up long after washing - I was told this is normal

Invoice detail (attached as pdf too)

My advise to anyone is do check out the TMSC app. It is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-invoice-12.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-invoice-22.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Invoice.pdf (174.3 KB, 26 views)
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 14:16   #2823

I have a 2021 XZA+ with around 41K on the ODO. I am facing an issue with vehicle vibration during idle and crawl speeds(when under 1500 rpm). While I used to have mild vibrations in the the steering, this has now become prominent after a major breakdown service(where the entire fuel system, Compressor, Alternator, Water Pump and Timing Belt were replaced) and the entire car has this vibration. Have had multiple follow ups with the service center and they claim this vibration is normal in the car and showed me another manual Safari with 50K+ kms on the ODO which has vibrations. I consulted another standalone garage and they believe it could be weak engine & transmission mounts that is causing this vibration. However, they are not 100% sure of this and would want to diagnose further after replacing the mounts if the problem still persists. Unfortunately, they are unbale to source the spares and hence was not able to get the mount replacement done. I am thinking of talking to the ASC again to see if there is any respite to this situation as this vibration is highly bothersome in slow speed traffic which I encounter to and from my commute to work.

Any other members experienced/experiencing this issue with the Safari, please see if you can give me any pointers.
ramprebagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 06:21   #2824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Hello All,

Got 3rd Free Service (First major Service) done on my Safari . I am sharing the details and overall experience for others to benefit.

**long post alert

@mailtoansh, specially for you as you head for your 3rd Service.

Model - Safari XZA+ Adventure 7S
Kilometers - 10800...

Dent to pocket - Rs.15,267

Prescribed Service Items:
Wheel Alignment and balancing
Sunroof greasing
Tyre Rotation
Additional Items

AC Air Duct Clean

#...

All window panes come up wet if rolled down and up long after washing - I was told this is normal

Thanks for the details.

The items I have listed under prescribed and additional are not quite required to be done in the service centre. These kind of activities are where they make a killing. Good to avoid these in future before signing off the job card.

For the wiper noise, is it from the wiper blade - if so, please spray a little WD40 on a cloth and wipe the wiper blade (whole length which contacts with the windshield) with it. The screeches will go off.

PS : Checked your invoice and realised that about 3500/- could have been avoided / reduced if you had not opted for the unwanted tasks.

For a 30L car, 12K for 3rd service sounds reasonable as 5K is more engine oil alone.

Also, fuel filter for a Swift D (20K kms replacement) was about 1.8K if I remember well - so this sounds reasonable to me.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th July 2024 at 06:28.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 06:56   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprebagar View Post
I have a 2021 XZA+ with around 41K on the ODO. I am facing an issue with vehicle vibration during idle and crawl speeds(when under 1500 rpm).
I was looking for someone to address this issue. I have a Harrier, which has clocked around 88k. Occasionally it vibrates at 1500 RPM, I also suspect weaker engine mounts. During that time I move my car a little then it disappears. Another possibility is idle RPM is too low for the engine, you can ask the service guy to set it to 1550 RPM.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th July 2024 at 15:20. Reason: u> you
Old 25th July 2024, 08:05   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the details.

PS : Checked your invoice and realised that about 3500/- could have been avoided / reduced if you had not opted for the unwanted tasks.

For a 30L car, 12K for 3rd service sounds reasonable as 5K is more engine oil alone.
@swiftnfurious - I agree 12 k for this car is acceptable. The items I could have avoided surely is AC duct cleaning as it is purely a personal choice. That could have saved 1050/-.

However, I wonder if I could/should have really avoided -

Sunroof Greasing - It is prescribed at 1 year service. If not done and tomorrow sunroof motor burns out due to overload, I believe TASS will be quick to point out that I didn't adhere to maintenance schedule and hence I can't claim a repair under warranty. Isn't it? Thoughts?

My question is that if it is part of the scheduled service, why is it separately chargeable?

Similarly, can I really skip wheel balancing and alignment, tyre rotation etc. without risking warranty? What I find totally unjustifiable is 400-500 for tyre rotation. If I have paid for wheel balancing already, someone please tell me what extra effort was spent by TASS in tyre rotation to charge 400-500? Are they not already paid for removing of tyres and putting them back.

Other minor things like charging for rags, seat covers for protection from soiling is really laughable. Isn't that expected of them anyway?

Last edited by Rodie09 : 25th July 2024 at 08:06.
Old 25th July 2024, 14:53   #2827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
I was looking for someone to address this issue. I have harrier which clocked around 88k. Occasionally it vibrates at 1500 RPM, I also suspect weaker engine mounts. During that time I move my car a little then it disappears. Another possibility is idle RPM is too low for the engine, u can ask the service guy to set it to 1550 RPM.
The current Idle is at 750 RPM. I had this checked in another Safari as well at the service center and it was set to 750. I am planning to do a test drive with the Service Center again with another technician to see if he is able to diagnose the issue. Will update once I complete that.
Old 25th July 2024, 19:25   #2828
BHPian

Re: Safari Manual - Looking for owner feedback

Quote:
Friends,

Am on the lookout for a 6 seater (can be 7 seater too) and want to be upgrading from a Verna Fluidic (I just love it despite its few shortcomings).
Looking back at my post an year back where I started contemplating Safari as my next car. With the major service done, Safari is tad smoother to drive now. Overall a positive experience so far with the car and with the service from Tata. I hope it remains this way. Enjoyed a good 11k kms in first year - still a week to go based on delivery date. Overall, am very happy and satisfied. It does have that amazing street presence, the commanding driving position and is quite a looker from all angles. And today marks one year since I saw her first as part of PDI. A pic from this morning to celebrate the journey!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-media-4.jpg  

Rodie09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 21:55   #2829

Quote:

Minor problems that I shared with SS and Response/rectification

Wind noise from driver window - Known Issue
Grinding noise while starting to move in mornings (rainy season) - I was told this happens, no big deal. But I see they did brake pad cleaning and charged in bill.
Water dripping from hatch struts long after washing - I was told this is normal
Overall shaking (mild) when trying to accelerate from standstill - I was told this is normal
Left rear speaker gives up at high bass at times - Nothing done and I didn't want them to fiddle much anyway

Hello Rodie09,

Thanks a lot for the detailed experience. I would mind these points for my safari's upcoming service.
I was asked for AC duct cleaning and sunroof greasing in 2nd service only so I would avoid these in the upcoming service.

Thanks again

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th July 2024 at 22:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
mailtoansh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 06:41   #2830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However, I wonder if I could/should have really avoided -

Sunroof Greasing - It is prescribed at 1 year service. If not done and tomorrow sunroof motor burns out due to overload, I believe TASS will be quick to point out that I didn't adhere to maintenance schedule and hence I can't claim a repair under warranty. Isn't it? Thoughts?

My question is that if it is part of the scheduled service, why is it separately chargeable?

Similarly, can I really skip wheel balancing and alignment, tyre rotation etc. without risking warranty? What I find totally unjustifiable is 400-500 for tyre rotation. If I have paid for wheel balancing already, someone please tell me what extra effort was spent by TASS in tyre rotation to charge 400-500? Are they not already paid for removing of tyres and putting them back.

Other minor things like charging for rags, seat covers for protection from soiling is really laughable. Isn't that expected of them anyway?
Good to do the jobs as mentioned in the service schedule However, all these additional tasks are and will be chargeable even though it's mentioned in the schedule - these don't come under general service.

For wheel balancing, tyres need not be removed. Hence tyre rotation will be charged extra. There's no warranty problems with alignment / rotation at all. If at all you want to do alignment and rotation or jobs like AC service, I suggest you take it to experts who do a great job than a possible mediocre job by the service centre.

On the other side, for cleaning the brake pads, they have to remove the tyres This is how they make simple money by not doing anything extra.

For the miscellaneous items like the cover etc, I don't mind paying if they indeed used these - helps the seat from getting ruined. Minor amount for a better return.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th July 2024 at 06:42.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 14:54   #2831
BHPian

Can Anyone Recommend me a Good Android Head Unit with following parameters

1) which is Slim and utilises Stock Physical Media buttons.
2) Has Canbus connection for all Canbus functions
3) Front and Rear Camera Function
4) Steering Controls
5) Good GPS reception
Old 28th July 2024, 16:46   #2832
BHPian

I have the pre-facelift 2023 version of Safari. Today the infotainment screen has gone blank.

The car was parked on road-side and there was a bit of drizzle. When I started the car again, the screen screen didn't come up. The screen's backlight can be seen coming up but nothing on the screen. Touch screen is responding, as can be checked by doing some blind gestures, that ended up changing radio channel etc.

Factory reset on instrument cluster side did not solve it.

Any other things to try on this?

EDIT: After about half an hour the issue just went away on its own. One of those reliability things ...

Last edited by mayuresh : 28th July 2024 at 16:59.
Old 30th July 2024, 16:30   #2833

Hello Rodie09 and other owners,

I am driving a 2023 facelift Tata Safari.
Delivery date - September 2023
Model - XZA+ dark edition

I am facing the issues below regularly, which I highlighted to my SA, but issues keep coming randomly.

1. TPMS - many times I get a warning for one or other tyres and sometimes it goes away automatically or sometimes I have to get tyres air refilled. I highlighted this issue at the time of 2nd free service visit. They have recalibrated the software.

2. Driver seat Welcome feature - Once this feature got off before my 2nd free service, I got it rectified in the same visit. Now again the seat adjustment is not happening automatically and I have to do it manually.

3. On and off weird sound from the car when accelerating after the auto hold is applied at traffic signals.

4. The infotainment screen keeps hanging/going black and it gets restored only after the car restarts.

Also, I got a DEF warning yesterday saying the "DEF level is low Refill soon". I topped up the DEF to full in March (at the time of 2nd free service) so should I wait till next month when my 3rd service is due or should I get it filled before?
Any idea roughly how many km can be driven per litre of DEF?

Thanks in advance
Old 30th July 2024, 17:49   #2834
BHPian

Hey @mailtoansh,

Let me try to answer whatever I can.

1. I have not faced this but I'd assume this to be a transducer sending pressure signal. So, that transducer would need re calibration. Not sure how the software calibration helps. Insist on an under warranty replacement if this persists.

2. Are you saying the seat does not go backwards when you open the door? Are the M1 M2 M3 memories working? Again I have not faced this issue but honestly I have not paid attention either if the seat moves when door is opened. Will check.

3. Can you describe the type of sound? Is it like a stuck brake pad which requires some effort to come out of the freeze? If so, I have also observed this specially in rainy days but this has happened in my earlier car too, so not much to bother.

4. Mine is Aug 2023 XZA+ Adv version. I have found the screen to be slower these days but not blacking out as such. During the service they said its already most updated version (Feb 2024) so they only cleared errors.

5. On the DEF warning, you have not mentioned what is your current level. I recently read the manual that the first warning comes around when remaining range for DEF is 2000-2400 km. It then disappears. Next warning comes when you can drive max 600 km approx. this one stays on until you run out of DEF. My advise try not to go below 35-40% and 5 liter top up will take you to 85%. Please do read the instruction manual on this one.

I'll add one of the issues that I have started seeing only recently (last 30 days) that the reverse cam and parking sensors remain active much longer after you have moved to D from R. Perhaps an extra 2-3 seconds. It was not so earlier. Anyone facing this?

Happy driving guys!

Last edited by Rodie09 : 30th July 2024 at 17:52.
Old 31st July 2024, 14:46   #2835

Hello Rodie09,

Thanks for your input.

on 2 - Yes, it is not adjusting automatically to my previous setting. I have to do it manually by using M1/2/3.

on 3- It is a thud type of sound.

on 5- Below is the screenshot of my DEF screen with a warning.

On the issue you have mentioned- So far I have not seen any delay but I will be conscious to check on this.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-pic22.jpeg  

mailtoansh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks