Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2023, 19:42   #2626

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
I am considering purchasing of Tata Safari.

6 monthly servicing schedule appears to be one of the deal breakers.

Some websites term alternate servicings of Safari (4th, 6th, 8th etc) as "minor".

Can any owner who has undergone 4 or more servicings confirm whether it was indeed minor and quick enough, its cost etc?

Hi Mayuresh,

I do not own a safari but do own a Harrier XZA. 6 month service is indeed annoying (I don't even know why they do it). In my case, I have done 2 "minor services" till now. All they did was top up fluids, greased sunroof (600 Rs), greased hinges (600 Rs), topped up DEF (but I refused since I had Indian Oil Clear Blu 20l can at home).

You can tell them specific faults if any. Bill comes around 1-2k (depends on quantity of DEF used). Time required is approx 2-3 hours (god knows why).

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th October 2023 at 04:29. Reason: Poorly formatted. Edited for extra spaces, capitalising text as needed & formatting. Please proofread posts. Thank you.
B58lover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 15:02   #2627
BHPian

Guys,
Has anyone observed this issue of water dripping from the rear hatch, near the struts - mind you I am observing this even after it has been a week my safari was exposed to rain. Everytime I am.opening the hatch, water drips.
Is there some kind of waterlogging happening on the inside of boot lid? That does not sound normal to have. Worried about rust issues this may cause.
Old 16th September 2023, 15:56   #2628
BHPian

Some leaves or debris may have blocked the drains of the rear hatch something like this

Hope this helps.
neofromcapone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 00:10   #2629

Hi friends

I am a proud owner of Safari XTA+ . Today I am here to ask for your guidance on two topics:

1) Which is the best 360 view system for safari?. Preferably one that doesn't disturb warranty.

2) XTA+ didn't come with wireless Android auto. (originally XZA also but they offered a software upgrade for it).
Has any XT owner received wireless Android auto upgrade so far?. Wired one is so annoying as it has connection issues at times.

Thanks for your help
Dinesh
Old 19th September 2023, 00:54   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari1808 View Post
2) XTA+ didn't come with wireless Android auto. (originally XZA also but they offered a software upgrade for it).
Has any XT owner received wireless Android auto upgrade so far?. Wired one is so annoying as it has connection issues at times.
I guess you own a BS6 PH1 vehicle. The Phase 2 vehicle XTA+ comes with Wireless Android Auto.

You could look at few products in the market that enable the wired to wireless connectivity over a usb dongle.

For all the better reasons, you could consider an Infotainment swap altogether. There are products in market today with wireless AA and 360 view camera, but warranty may get affected.
Old 21st September 2023, 15:54   #2631
BHPian

Guys,

As a new owner somehow I am finding the ride of my Safari XZA+ a little too stiff for comfort, same with family members. I have checked tyre pressure and it is as per recommended value, perhaps a point less at 32. But still at city speeds and most roads being cement road, all undulations are felt and more so on the driver touchpoints such as Steering and A pedal. A good 20 km run in city last night left me with an afterfeel of shaken (in a mild way) limbs and the feel stayed on overnight. Tried to ignore earlier but getting difficult. I have at least 2 lacs km driving experience in last 20 years on 5 different cars but never have I felt this way.

Really want to understand is there anything wrong particularly in my car alone or any of you also have felt this? This is really puzzling me. Please help with your feedback observations.

Happy to have a fellow Pune Safari owner test drive my car
Old 21st September 2023, 16:40   #2632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post

Really want to understand is there anything wrong particularly in my car alone or any of you also have felt this? This is really puzzling me. Please help with your feedback observations.

Try another vehicle, not Safari but something else to calibrate your own senses.

Try setting the cold air pressure early morning at the nearest petrol bunk and see if that makes any difference, a visit to the wheel alignment shop for inspection is also a good practice especially if the vehicle is new.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 16:48   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Try another vehicle, not Safari but something else to calibrate your own senses.

Try setting the cold air pressure early morning at the nearest petrol bunk and see if that makes any difference, a visit to the wheel alignment shop for inspection is also a good practice especially if the vehicle is new.
Thanks mate for your reply. I am calibrating this against my previous car 'Fluidic Verna' and expectedly there is lot of difference as the Verna's was a soft suspension.

I expected Safari to be stiffer but not to this level. I always measure tyre pressure in cold condition and checked on TPMS and also one of my personal trusted electronic one. They are both reflecting pretty much same.

I am just trying to rule out a possibility of something being off in my car and that's why I want to check against another Safari or to have someone else check mine. May look at TDing one at the dealership as I didnt feel so during my TD runs. Will check their tyre pressure as well.

But just wondering is there anyone else who is facing/feeling this discomfort.
Old 21st September 2023, 21:46   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Please help with your feedback observations.
The Safari's suspension set up is a little stiffer at city speeds but the same setup performs extremely superior on the highways.

Having said that, At City speeds it still doesn't toss you around like the setup of other smaller cars but may still feels stiffer. Meaning undulations may be felt little bit more comparatively but will still be composed.

If you suspect a specific problem with your vehicle, TD a different unit and your confusions may go away!!
r24x7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 22:36   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
The Safari's suspension set up is a little stiffer at city speeds but the same setup performs extremely superior on the highways.

Having said that, At City speeds it still doesn't toss you around like the setup of other smaller cars but may still feels stiffer. Meaning undulations may be felt little bit more comparatively but will still be composed.

If you suspect a specific problem with your vehicle, TD a different unit and your confusions may go away!!
Yeah, you are right on the ride quality on city roads. I think what is making this feel a bit more is perhaps the steering set up - it is so directly connected to the road, not sure if good or bad. But if you take your hands off the wheel, the smallest of undulation move the steering wheel. With your hands on it the thrust is transmitted to the forearm and shoulder - basically the drivers touch points make it a bit more stiffer, rougher compared to passengers.

I really want to td another safari to eliminate this possibility of something odd in my car.
Old 21st September 2023, 22:51   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
But if you take your hands off the wheel, the smallest of undulation move the steering wheel.
This is inherent with hydraulic steering system and I have been seeing the same right from the beginning with our 8 year old Renault Lodgy as well.

In fact with wider tyres, I feel even more feedback coming to the steering on the Safari.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:03   #2637
BHPian

Got the first service of Safari done at Garve - Tathawade, Pune.

Charges
---------
DEF - 5 Litre - Rs 620 - moved the gauge from 50% to 80%
Brakes cleaning - Rs 413 -
---------------------------------
Total Cost - Rs 1033

Wondering if brake cleaning is needed in 1st service. I had complained of squealing noise while reversing but should it not be taken care of free of cost in a new car? SA said this is needed as in the initial days there is more grime accumulated. I wasn't ready to buy his reason but let it go. Does this makes sense? - asking just for academic purpose.

For first service they kept the vehicle for a day as I had listed some minor issues and also about the heavy left pull. They only did alignment. It does look a bit better now but not gone completely.

Has anyone done a successful subframe shift to get rid of left pull? Any pros or cons? If I insist on it, they may keep vehicle for 2 days. Any advise from experience will be helpful.

Finally, coming to the overall experience -

Cannot judge much on quality of work as this service required hardly anything. Need to see next time on.
SA insisted on 10 litres DEF refill which would have caused quite some wastage as my DEF was already at 50%. Took some pushing back to stick to only 5 litres. I expect the SA to better in his judgement and advise.
Overall the workshop space and customer lounge and all the related experience was more like PSU banks/offices. Tata is still far away from giving that customer delight experience as default. As of today, it does the job but does not put a smile on ones face.

Last edited by Rodie09 : 22nd September 2023 at 14:08. Reason: Punctuation
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 18:11   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

As a new owner somehow I am finding the ride of my Safari XZA+ a little too stiff for comfort, same with family members. I have checked tyre pressure and it is as per recommended value, perhaps a point less at 32. But still at city speeds and most roads being cement road, all undulations are felt and more so on the driver touchpoints such as Steering and A pedal. A good 20 km run in city last night left me with an afterfeel of shaken (in a mild way) limbs and the feel stayed on overnight. Tried to ignore earlier but getting difficult. I have at least 2 lacs km driving experience in last 20 years on 5 different cars but never have I felt this way.

These were the exact reasons I sold off my Safari. These issues, though minor, take away the ride comfort from one's vehicle. The vehicle is stiff at lower speeds and suspension is better at higher speeds but then the steering gets lighter and provides more than required feedback which results in constant movement of the steering for which you need to hold it firmly.

All these factors combined induce fatigue which then result in body aches. Also, the famous left pull was sorted for me at the first service at Garve Tata, Tathawade via a subframe shift but it returned to haunt me by 20k kms. I drive 2500 kms a month on an average and this became unbearable for me. However, had I been a passenger, I would have had no complaints. Safari is a beautiful car for being driven in, but driving it is cumbersome.

If you want, I can drive your car and let you know if really these are issues or just traits of the Safari. Me and my neighbor drove each other's cars when he felt his steering was making some noise and it turned out to be true. Maybe I can offer some perspective atleast.
tp_dominator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2023, 23:19   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
These were the exact reasons I sold off my Safari. These issues, though minor, take away the ride comfort from one's vehicle. The vehicle is stiff at lower speeds and suspension is better at higher speeds but then the steering gets lighter and provides more than required feedback which results in constant movement of the steering for which you need to hold it firmly.

All these factors combined induce fatigue which then result in body aches. Also, the famous left pull was sorted for me at the first service at Garve Tata, Tathawade via a subframe shift but it returned to haunt me by 20k kms. I drive 2500 kms a month on an average and this became unbearable for me. However, had I been a passenger, I would have had no complaints. Safari is a beautiful car for being driven in, but driving it is cumbersome.

If you want, I can drive your car and let you know if really these are issues or just traits of the Safari. Me and my neighbor drove each other's cars when he felt his steering was making some noise and it turned out to be true. Maybe I can offer some perspective atleast.
Thanks tp_dominator for your reply. I had gone through your story earlier also and I can somewhat relate to it. But I haven't yet gotten to that point but I'll surely connect with you one on one.

Not that I am going to try it immediately, just wondering what can be possible remedies for stiff ride? Are the R18s on XZA readily swappable with 16 inchers on base model? That would be a lot of loss financially but may have to do if nothing else works. Would there be warranty issues or any tech issues due to this downgrade, if at all one goes with it.

Happy to hear the views from fellow owners and ride experience of 16 incher model owners.
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:56   #2640
BHPian

Quote:

Not that I am going to try it immediately, just wondering what can be possible remedies for stiff ride? Are the R18s on XZA readily swappable with 16 inchers on base model? That would be a lot of loss financially but may have to do if nothing else works. Would there be warranty issues or any tech issues due to this downgrade, if at all one goes with it.

Happy to hear the views from fellow owners and ride experience of 16 incher model owners.
I had complained about the hard steering at parking speeds to the ASS during my 2nd free service; they did something and its better now. When I asked what they did, they said some bleeding of steering wheel components. Not sure what actually they did.

Yes, the steering does allow to filter in some amount of road irregularities but I have found it acceptable and manageable. Please note that I am not at all a muscular person, rather quite on the opposite. Before the Safari, I drove a Honda City Automatic (V-AT) for 13 plus years and while the steering of the Honda was better than the Safari but its not that I can't live with the Safari steering.

A good part of my office drive is on the concrete surface of the ORR in Bangalore and the amount of jerks that I feel on the steering of Safari is comparable to that I used to feel on Honda.

You have to find an optimal speed that you should maintain with least amount of jerks on such concrete roads; this varies from car to car, depending on the weight, wheel/tyres and suspension setup of the vehicle.

I would just say that don't downgrade the wheels to 16 inches. Let it be as is. Rather, talk to the ASS and also try to find out an optimal speed that allows minimal jerks.
pratim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks