Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2023, 15:14   #2446
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Question to owners on this forum:

1. How stable is Android Auto in Safari?
2. How stable is Apple Carplay in Safari?
3. Does either of them work without any major issues when connected with wire? Or is it just wireless?
I was delivered my Safari just a couple of weeks ago and I'm having issues with (wireless) Android Auto. On a 500KM drive I recently had, the digital infotainment system & instrument cluster crashed at least 4 times, but they came back up on their own in 5-10 seconds and were able to immediately reconnect with my Android. Haven't had the opportunity to test Apple Carplay or wired Android Auto yet.

Other than this, which I will be bringing up with the dealership when I return home and could very well be fixed with something as simple as a software update, I have yet to face any other issue. The sales experience was good and the car drives and rides like a dream.
Safari Persona is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 15:55   #2447
BHPian

Quote:
Question to owners on
2. How stable is Apple Carplay in Safari?
3. Does either of them work without any major issues when connected with wire? Or is it just wireless?

I have poor experience with Apple car play of Safari. Especially in long drives , it fails to connect or gets disconnected repeatedly. And the lag is frustrating. But this is 2021 Safari. Don’t know how sleek is the new infotainment system.

However as a car , I’m absolutely loving the Safari. Great car to drive, especially out of the city.
Be it highways or broken roads , it just drives so well and handles well .
NitSat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 08:59   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy, this is promising to hear. I am an iPhone User and was looking for a stable carplay integration. Anyway, I am couple of months away from buying a car, so will definitely wait for the facelift with new changes. At least, there is a hope that Tata will handle the carplay integration with the new infotainment, unlike Mahindra.
I use Apple Car Play in 2022 Dark Edition model of Safari. Like other, its frustrating. There is too much lag, you don't get the screen synced fast enough. The call keeps ringing but no display of caller most of the times. More frustrating is the google maps. Maps don't display immediately and take a while to sync to screen and during this time, even the phone display goes off as its expecting the display from car not from phone. This leaves you to pull over to side and wait for maps to settle in.

Siri(voice command) is ok but contact search through touch screen is pathetic, it wont let you type full word just first alphabet( or may be I am missing some tricks here).

Touch screen is very slow and its not at all drive friendly. For me the feature is very risky to use while driving. Good to only receive calls and play playlist. Anything to fiddle around is either frustratingly slow or requires a constant focus on instrument than road which makes it not safe while driving. This has been my experience since 10 months of using the car.
abacusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 12:39   #2449

Recently did a test drive of Safari in KHT Brookfield Bangalore. Here are below observations:
Pros
Felt the vehicle is solidly built
I didn't find the left pull issue in the Test Drive Vehicle
Ergonomically I felt its good for my height. I am about 174 cm

Cons
I felt the engine was noisy
Definitely, I find it tough to drive at slower speeds. I Felt Steering was heavy.
In Sports Mode, I felt more comfortable rather than in City Mode as the steering was more responsive.

These are my personal observations and sorry if my understanding were wrong.

When I checked with SA on facelift Safari, he said it will be launched in September 2023. I thought it will launch soon. Maybe to sell existing stock he would have told to convince me.

I booked XUV700 AX7 L AWD already on September 09, 2022. But the tentative delivery is Nov 2023 and not sure if I would like to wait till that time. So thought of exploring Safari as well.

In Safari main concern for me is low-speed maneuverability as am looking to take to the office in Bangalore traffic daily.

Please suggest if is it the same in all new Safari or it's just on test drive vehicles.
Old 16th January 2023, 10:59   #2450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik1289 View Post

In Safari main concern for me is low-speed maneuverability as am looking to take to the office in Bangalore traffic daily.

Please suggest if is it the same in all new Safari or it's just on test drive vehicles.
My experience of driving in city. It feels bulky and kind of feels stressed hearing the engine rev up every time we accelerate. Not sure if its same with all Torque converter automatic transmission vehicles. Fuel efficiency drops very badly in city. Almost get ~10 or less while on highways you get ~13.

I had octavia earlier with DSG gearbox and petrol the city drive was almost like a toy and smooth as electric vehicle. May be this perception makes me feel that safari is too harsher drive in city. But I love driving safari on highways, more stable, controlled and powerful on highways.
abacusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:59   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik1289 View Post

I am very comfortable in taking Safari in bumper to bumper traffic in chennai. I have automatic though. Some people complain about heavy steering in city speeds which i have never felt. The road presence and the visibility makes driving a pleasure in city traffic. These are based on my personal experieces alone.
msk_kapoor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2023, 23:10   #2452
GKU
BHPian

Since Scorpio N has ridicules waiting period, we were looking for other options. Took a Safari AT test drive and I was not impressed at all.

My observations

In spite of adjusting seat and steering multiple times , I never felt comfortable with the driving position.
My left knee was brushing against center console, and it was kind of painful (even for 5 to 6 Km test drive).
I could not move my legs side to side due to steering column between them. Pushing the seat backward was impacting pedal reach. (I am 5.9 – 80Kg).
Dead pedal was more of a trouble than convenience.
Reaching 3rd row seat was bit of an adventure, all sort of hooks, holes on your way and its inclined too. My better half could get in on her 3rd attempt after removing footwear.
Compared to Scorpio N, Tatas are expensive.
Engine felt good to drive, but I felt Mahindra’s Mhawk engine is more refined and punchier (This can be just my imagination resulting out of discomfort I was in).

Some of the positives compared to Scorpio N

Panoramic Sunroof –very nice
3rd row comfort and amenities
Monocoque construction may be more stable around corners compared to BOF Scorpio N
GKU is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 13:43   #2453
BHPian

Hello All!

Has anybody here experienced back pain (upper back below the neck) while driving their Safari for long hours? I previously was experiencing neck aches on long drives, then came leg pain due to the poor ergonomics and poor underthigh support. Now comes this bummer due to which I wasn't able to sit or do any normal jobs after the drive due to the back pain.

This has shaken my confidence in the seats provided and I took a TD of Mahindra XUV700 whose seats felt comfortable compared to the Safari. Since these seats are ventilated and have side airbags, I am afraid I cannot modify them at all. I am planning to take a loss and change the car unless somebody else experienced it and have got any solution. This never used to be an issue in my erstwhile Ford Ecosport and I am regretting my purchase since my primary usage is highways and long hours of driving non stop so the seats have to be absolutely comfortable.
Old 30th January 2023, 14:22   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Hello All!

Has anybody here experienced back pain (upper back below the neck) while driving their Safari for long hours? I previously was experiencing neck aches on long drives, then came leg pain due to the poor ergonomics and poor underthigh support. Now comes this bummer due to which I wasn't able to sit or do any normal jobs after the drive due to the back pain..
Try this before looking at alternative vehicles, a rather expensive affair and you cannot get the XUV anytime soon.

Whenever I drive the Safari, I move the seats up to their highest position, now move it forward where my foot is comfortable with the pedals, then the backrest where my arms are able to wrestle that heavy steering.

Move it just a bit backwards to provide space for left leg and we are all set.

Try this next time and see how it works.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 14:26   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
In spite of adjusting seat and steering multiple times , I never felt comfortable with the driving position.
My left knee was brushing against center console, and it was kind of painful (even for 5 to 6 Km test drive).
I could not move my legs side to side due to steering column between them. Pushing the seat backward was impacting pedal reach. (I am 5.9 – 80Kg).
I am 5'8" and took TD for 16+ kms of the auto-tranny version of Safari. I had this issue of my left knee brushing against the contre console side wall initially but the SA helped me find out the right driving position and then there were no issues. All I did was to take the seat backwards completely and lower it and then again advance it towards the pedals until I could reach the pedals comfortably. Then I adjusted the steering a bit (it has has both reach and tilt adjustments) and I was all set.

I think that it should not be a problem for you also. Take one more TD to check.
pratim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 15:14   #2456
GKU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
I am 5'8" and took TD for 16+ kms of the auto-tranny version of Safari. I had this issue of my left knee brushing against the contre console side wall initially but the SA helped me find out the right driving position and then there were no issues. All I did was to take the seat backwards completely and lower it and then again advance it towards the pedals until I could reach the pedals comfortably. Then I adjusted the steering a bit (it has has both reach and tilt adjustments) and I was all set.

I think that it should not be a problem for you also. Take one more TD to check.
Thanks Pratim, I am heading to Tata showroom again . My family felt more comfortable in Safari . kid will appreciate panoramic Sunroof . Waiting period for XUV700 and Scorpio N is not coming down anytime sooner.
Old 30th January 2023, 20:59   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp_dominator View Post
Has anybody here experienced back pain (upper back below the neck) while driving their Safari for long hours?
I am 5'10" and had 15 Hr continuous drive in my SAFARI Automatic through Kerala's two lane roads recently and I hadn't experienced back pain issue. It was a comfortable drive for me and my family. The machine is a gem.
Of course health matters are different for different people. My experience may not be relevant for everyone, but generally most of the owners in this forum and social media groups are happy with SAFARI for long drives.

Quote:
Thanks Pratim, I am heading to Tata showroom again . My family felt more comfortable in Safari . kid will appreciate panoramic Sunroof . Waiting period for XUV700 and Scorpio N is not coming down anytime sooner.
GKU, with so many negative observations, I am wondering whether you will be happy with SAFARI. I am sure you will be buying only if you are satisfied and not by compromise. Owning a SAFARI Automatic for the last 1.5 years and having used 3rd row seat for my elder son who is 5'9" for weekly long drives (125km one way) for multiple times, I can give you confidence that he gets into 3rd row comfortably and travels comfortably. I doubt any other 7 seater other than Crysta in that price range can give more comfort than SAFARI. Adjustable 2nd row seats and dedicated AC zone are added advantage for 3rd row passengers.
Regarding the rubbing of knee on center console, my current comfortable driving position is by resting my knee on the center console (of course I have automatic version and left leg is free)
Sreejith V is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 09:48   #2458
GKU
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
GKU, with so many negative observations, I am wondering whether you will be happy with SAFARI. I am sure you will be buying only if you are satisfied and not by compromise. Owning a SAFARI Automatic for the last 1.5 years and having used 3rd row seat for my elder son who is 5'9" for weekly long drives (125km one way) for multiple times, I can give you confidence that he gets into 3rd row comfortably and travels comfortably. I doubt any other 7 seater other than Crysta in that price range can give more comfort than SAFARI. Adjustable 2nd row seats and dedicated AC zone are added advantage for 3rd row passengers.
Regarding the rubbing of knee on center console, my current comfortable driving position is by resting my knee on the center console (of course I have automatic version and left leg is free)
Thanks Sreejith.
My first choice is Mahindra ScorpioN (Have already booked it), I am only considering other options due to waiting period (109 weeks on paper ). My main issue with Safari is related to ergonomics (for Driver). If that can be sorted as explained by Pratim, I am willing to give 2nd thought.
As you rightly mentioned, 3rd row comfort is very good compared to ScorpioN and XUV700. Somehow my wife felt its tough to access third row but once you are seated there , its very comfortable. Once again I will investigate why we felt tough to access 3rd row.

One more thing worth noting(which I completely forgot ), With my budget I can get only XT+, which has only 2 airbags compared to 6 of Scorpio N Z8L.
GKU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 10:58   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

One more thing worth noting(which I completely forgot ), With my budget I can get only XT+, which has only 2 airbags compared to 6 of Scorpio N Z8L.
These two cars are not comparable other than price - if you like the Scorpio, stick to the booking, its worth it. It is better in many ways than vehicles nearly two times its price tag.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 21:26   #2460
BHPian

Guys,
Going to take delivery of Safari XTA+ dark edition tomorrow. Wish me luck!
pratim is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks