Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 20:24   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 Review

Didn’t know about this till now but the on-road price of the base variant of the new gen i20 is more than that of the base variant of the Venue. Hyundai has messed up the pricing royally!

Hyundai i20 Review-8b626e9d2b5944209c0e6740010a0005.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan View Post
I think the people who hold the mindset that Sub-Compact Crossovers (CSUV) should cost more than a hatchback, are taking that SUV tag too seriously.

Pricing makes perfect sense when you consider that compact SUVs are nothing but lifted hatchbacks. For similar size, features, engines, and interior space, the only price differential would be the extra coils on the springs and spacers.
It is not just the ground clearance but the compact SUVs have more materials (metal, glass, plastic....) than a hatchback with the same floor plan because the cabin, bonnet, hatch etc will be relatively taller.
Guna is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:08   #63
BHPian

Alright, everything is fine, where are the Ventilated seats?(I'm a huge fan and advocate them). I admire Hyundai's I20 from its early gen models. But I think Hyundai might have missed an opportunity here to provide VS this time and I'm really curious to know what the Safety ratings will be on this one because Altroz is the only one with best safety rating in this segment.
Having said that Hyundai is without a doubt more refined and has an edge with premium interior quality.
Mahven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:16   #64
BHPian

Just to clarify, will the turbo petrol IMT also come with 118 bhp tune ?? If yes then sportz IMT seems excellent value for money.
Old 5th November 2020, 21:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Great first look report. As mentioned I agree that the rear of the car looks much better than the spy pics may it out to be. The exterior design looks very nice to me. The chrome is a bit overdone but that's fine. The black accents are just right.

The M3 like curvy extension on the inside of the rear view mirror looks cool. The arrow shaped design looks quite nice with the whole car having a tapering wedge shape side profile. The front looks especially sharp. I love the fact that Hyundai has taken the initiative to provide nice embellishments like the the i20 badging on the side skirt, the rear lamp and the fuel cap. These kind of design features are typically seen on high end cars. And not like paying a bomb like VW charges you from the GT kit and stuff.

On the interiors though I feel this is a rare occasion where the exterior completely overshadows the interior. While the horizontal slats etc. look interesting the overall interior does not have the pizzaz to match the exterior. Not bad though and looks to have the typical Hyundai fit and finish. Not a big fan of the four spoke steering wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
3. A 120ps tune of the 1.0 TGDi should have been rewarded with a proper manual gearbox - at least in one of the trims. During the presentation - it was claimed to have a 9.9 second run to 100kmph - would have been a good option with a manual gearbox.
This to me is the biggest disappointment. I would have seriously considered it a replacement for my RS next year if so.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:21   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Didn’t know about this till now but the on-road price of the base variant of the new gen i20 is more than that of the base variant of Venue.
Attachment 2076807
I’d say you’re comparing the Base Venue with the Base + 1 (read as Magna) variant of i20.

The erstwhile i20 had an ERA TRIM with no bells & whistles (barebone vehicle)

People are confusing the entry model price as the base variant.
If you ask me, AFAIK the price hike over previous gen model is barely ₹15-20k (which to me is justified)
FIAT3031 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:58   #67
BHPian

Funny to think that no less than 2 years back we got our Ford Ecosport Titanium+ AT for 12.8L OTR. It has all the modern features you'll ever need and SYNC3 too (thank god). Insane to think that car prices have shot up so much in such a short span.

Hyundai's styling approach is not going to work for them in the long run. While their cars look fresh and striking now, I don't see these designs ageing well at all.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 22:21   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I can see this car also getting quite a lot number of bookings very quick just like the CRETA. Hyundai cars are loaded to the gills and this one surpasses the benchmark for hatchbacks by quite a mile. But this obsession with chrome for a car this size certainly begs a question as to how much is enough ?

The rear looks hideous according to me but then that's only me perhaps. We all know how some extra bling is welcomed in our country but in my view, too much of chrome has been used for this car. Design cues could have been little less over the top, specially the rear but then who cares if that brings the desired sales number for the company. The most impressive part about the car is the turbo-charged engines for both petrol and diesel and with ample number of variants and choices ala KIA.

As long as BOSE speakers perform, despite of the steep price tag, I still see this car getting the numbers as long as people don't confuse the pricing with a VENUE/ SONET

Last edited by SDP : 6th November 2020 at 07:20. Reason: Typo
Old 5th November 2020, 22:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Hyundai has already received more than 10,000 bookings for the new i20.
There should also be a count on the number of cancellations . I for one was one of the 6000 people who booked Sonet, yet I had to cancel it after the exorbitant pricing announcement.

Subsequently, I booked the Creta SX, later changed my booking to i20 only to discover the ludicrous pricing. Now, when I aspire to buy a Creta SX, the dealerships are no longer giving concrete delivery dates as i20 has numerically overtaken cretas within their production lines.

With that being said, I think Hyundai-Kia already set a bad trend in the industry by introducing the pre-booking speculative pricing strategy. With the invocation of the premium pricing, it is making things worse. Mind you, the taxes are still under the sub-4m category. I wonder how things would be if it had breached the 4m threshold.

With the recent influx of advertisements and premium pricings, my guess would be someone from the Apple India pricing strategy department has joined Hyundai-Kia.
pandatrooper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 22:56   #70
BHPian

This pricing will help them increase the prices of Venue Facelift which is expected towards next year end, which should get more feature loaded too and may be DCT with SX(o) in Venue. Barring the pricing of i20, the turbo petrol in 120bhp guise will be a fun vehicle to own. However I wish they'd gone the extra mile to give the paddle shifters from Venue as well.
Old 5th November 2020, 22:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Hyundai. Your new designs are not clicking on me. Yes, it is brimmed with features and bling. But for the money you are asking I will pick a Nexon or even a Sonet. For a Hatchback itch Altroz is the best bet for me now. That too either in Diesel or Turbo Petrol avatar.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 23:43   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one from Hyundai with their new "Polarizing exterior but Fantastic cabin" philosophy. I don't like the exteriors much. But the cabin I have loved. Nice tasteful design all round. A fresh breath of air (although the horizontal lines across the dashboard are too similar to European designs - and even the Ertiga for that matter).

On the outside, the XL funky lights with awkward forward sweep at the back and too many creases everywhere are not to my taste. Many gloss black plastics at odd places (at least on the previewed turbo variant) are going to be a pain to maintain. Especially since they'll develop swirl marks easily after cleaning. While funky in design - I'm not too impressed by the way the fuel lid is blended with the LHS tail lamp. An ignorant fuel attendant can easily hit the tail lamp with the nozzle while chatting with his colleagues. I have seen them missing the aim at the filler due to not looking at the car many times. A hit on the tail lamp may result in cracks in the worst case.

On the inside - I find the design, layout really to my taste! What a contrast. Seems like a great place to be in. Nice space management too. All black interiors always look great.

Pricing is rather optimistic but Hyundai knows they can't get an i20 wrong in India. It will sell like every other Hyundai hot cake. I don't have a doubt that it will sell fast. And with this typically smart Hyundai pricing - now there is an easy way to increase the Venue and Creta prices further in next 6 months. With the i20 perched high - Venue/Creta pricing will relatively remain VFM. Goes to show how well Hyundai has gauged our market & consumers.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 00:48   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Didn’t know about this till now but the on-road price of the base variant of the new gen i20 is more than that of the base variant of the Venue. Hyundai has messed up the pricing royally!

Attachment 2076807
But Hyundai has made the base variant what used to be the lower mid variant in the previous generation for the I20.

But for the Venue it is the E variant which is actually the base variant and cannot be compared with the Magna variant maybe the S variant should be compared with the Magna variant.
Old 6th November 2020, 00:55   #74
BHPian

Well the pricing is truly absurd. There's going to be a lot of hopping across other cars from Hyundai as well as others players out there.

A lot of prospective customers might shift to Venue/Sonet but there are high chances that they might switch to Verna too. A comparative of top model of i20 & SX model of Verna which has better engines & obviously a segment above the hatchback

i20 Asta (O) Petrol/Diesel - Rs. 9.2 Lac/ 10.6 lac
Verna SX Petrol/ Diesel - Rs.10.8 Lac/ 12.14 lac

Premium for Petrol is Rs. 1.6 lac & for Diesel is Rs. 1.54 lac. One gets a bigger car, almost same features (Verna gets sunroof in this model) & better engines to drive. Also since i20 is new there wouldn't be any inaugural discounts, in fact the prices would only go north from here whereas there would be around Rs. 10-20k discount on the verna, thus decreasing the margin and making the switch even more tempting.

Above illustration clearly depicts the pricing error made by Hyundai.

Last edited by CA Dhruv : 6th November 2020 at 00:58. Reason: Missed a point
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 01:56   #75
OSH
BHPian

Trick or treat ? Will come down to personal preference as Hyundai has a very good brand pull. The booking numbers are also quite decent. Related thread (Tata Motors takes a sly dig at the new i20)

Other treats waiting :
Honda Jazz - Ease of maintenance + badge value.
Tata Altroz - Safety + VFM + 'vocal for local'.
VW Polo - Timeless design + 'I want a turbo petrol'.

Last edited by OSH : 6th November 2020 at 02:16.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks