Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2024, 11:46   #721
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Review

Dear All Team-BHPians, I am considering a April 2021 Registered "New i20 1.2 MT Sportz" (NA) and the manufacturing date is Jan 2021.

The car is equipped with Cruise Control and Chrome Door Handles (Exterior), but from my research it seems that 2021 1.2 MT Sportz did not come with Cruise Control and Chrome door handles.

I am not sure of the car had been modified outside/ aftermarket and hence need some help here from the knowledgeable members.

Cheers,
Saurab Chatterjee
Old 21st April 2024, 22:07   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Dear All Team-BHPians, I am considering a April 2021 Registered "New i20 1.2 MT Sportz" (NA) and the manufacturing date is Jan 2021.

The car is equipped with Cruise Control and Chrome Door Handles (Exterior), but from my research it seems that 2021 1.2 MT Sportz did not come with Cruise Control and Chrome door handles.

Cheers,
Saurab Chatterjee
You are correct. Sportz variant from 2021 did not have cruise control. It was added in 2022 around March/April. Chrome door handles are still not given for sportz variant. Those are definitely added afterwards by the owner.
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2024, 22:38   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
….Those are definitely added afterwards by the owner.
The Spinny guy made a call and confirmed that it is factory fitted. And that cruise control was Avila me for sportz for a couple of months and then stopped. Later it was added in 2022.

Even if it is not, the fitting looks like done at a decent place, probably at Hyundai itself. Would that cause the car to be less safe?

I also saw a video on YouTube where a guy uses the creta steering pet to fit the cruise control in i20 and it looks (to me) like a plug nd play, single wire connection.

Looking forward for your opinion a I have booked the car earlier today evening.
Old 24th April 2024, 21:28   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
The Spinny guy made a call and confirmed that it is factory fitted. And that cruise control was Avila me for sportz for a couple of months and then stopped. Later it was added in 2022.
I think there was a catalogue in this thread when it was launched. Maybe you can refer that just to be sure.
Old 24th April 2024, 22:11   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I think there was a catalogue in this thread when it was launched. Maybe you can refer that just to be sure.
Thank you for the information. We got the car lightning fast. Loan was done over the weekend and Monday the car was delivered (Booked on Saturday). Spinny has l always surprised us pleasantly.

The car is i20 sportz 1.2 MT. Mnf Jan 21 and registered April 21. Clean and drives well.

If the previous owner had something added, it was done professionally and with genuine parts The cruise control works flawlessly and has all the display details too. Same for the dog lights, chrome outer door handles and chrome weather strips, seat height-adjustable …(don’t think they came is sportsz. Variant in 2021)

Steering wheel has tilt and telescopic adjustment, and, a cooled glove box.

Difficult to believe all this was done aftermarket if these were not part of sportz variant in 2021. Or, on a lighter note it is a 2023 car delivered through time travel

I am happy to have her in my garage, that’s the bottom line.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 24th April 2024 at 22:14.
Exhaust_Note is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 09:45   #726
BHPian

I brought home an i20 Asta (O) iVT on 20th of April. Here is some background to the purchase and my experience with the car so far.

Background – I had a Kia Seltos GTX DCT bought in September 2019 (prebooked, from the first lot). This was followed by two years of complete inaction due to Covid. Once Covid was in the past, routines have changed. I now travel to office not more than two days a week. In the meantime, I also bought an Audi Q3, in October last year. So, the Seltos was reduced to a car for doings daily rounds of the market, and other chores around an 8km radius of Thane City. It was also not feasible to take the Q3 around for these trips, so a second car was needed. Hence, I was looking for something smaller. The idea was to sell the Seltos (4.5years, 23,000km on the ODO), buy a small car and save some money. But things turned out a little differently.

The question was what to replace the Seltos with? Criteria – it has to be less than 4m, and it has to be an automatic. There is no way I am driving an AMT. A DCT would be expensive (the discontinued i20 DCT, or the Venue, or the Sonet). Plus, the car is primarily for driving within Thane City where the internal roads have a speed breaker at every 100m. Hence my preference was for a CVT which will be easy to drive around. There were four choices - Nissan Magnite, Renault Kiger, Honda Amaze and Hyundai i20. First two were not even considered due to their poor fit and finish and doubtful future. The Amaze was in consideration, but the current generation Amaze seems like a decade old. Waiting for the next generation seemed waiting for an uncertainty. Hence the choice was limited to just the i20 iVT.

Did a Test drive and it seemed to tick the necessary boxes for my requirement. I was waiting for a deal on my Seltos to book an i20 Sportz iVT. However, it is the selling experience of the Seltos (you can read about my experience (Review : Experience of selling a car to the used car startups)HERE) that made me change my mind and book the Asta (O) iVT. I value five features of the Asta (O) over the Sportz (Keyless entry, Push button start, wireless charger, rear washer and wiper, alloy wheels), which does not add up to the price difference, but still I booked the Asta (O) iVT for the sunroof (which I personally don’t value). Must say, the BOSE speakers are a bonus!

Booking & Delivery – Booking experience was mostly uneventful. Took quote from two dealers. Both dealers were keen to push SPORTZ variant in Starry Nights colour, for which they had stocks. However, I was not willing to compromise on my choice of colour – Titan Gray. Both quotes came with hefty insurance. However, one was willing to remove it and let me buy my own insurance, the other was willing to match price and features of any quote that I share. The bigger and more renowned dealer said the car will be delivered in 3 months and offered a lower discount. The other dealer assured me of a delivery in one month and offered a higher discount. So, the decision was made easy. As promised, the car was available for PDI in a month, and delivered in two days after PDI. This is a car manufactured in April 2024.

This car is going to be with me for some time. Hence bought it with 7 years Extended Warranty and 5 years “Shield of Trust” which covers parts not covered by warranty. A horror story about (CVT failure in Hyundai i20 at 26,000 km | Hyundai Service estimates Rs. 4.62 lakhs for replacement)CVT Failure on Team BHP also triggered this decision.

I had given some specific instructions for delivery:
1. No polishing the car, internal or external, since the car would immediately go for ceramic coating.
2. No dealership stickers on the car.
3. Car to be delivered with a full tank. I would pay Rs3500 for fuel at the time of delivery (else the car would be delivered with less than 5L of fuel and I would have to run to a pump immediately after delivery).
4. 33PSI pressure to be maintained.

First three were followed. There was no way to verify the fourth at the time of delivery. The moment I took delivery and went out on the road I could sese something was wrong. The ride felt very stiff, I could feel every undulation on the road, as if I was driving on solid tires. I checked the TPMS and all tyres were showing a pressure of 48PSI!! I immediately took the car to my regular garage where I fill Nitrogen, deflated the tyres completely and filled them with Nitrogen at 33PSI (later on I reduced it to 32 and the ride feels much better now).

Drive – I am driving a car with NA Petrol engine after 16 years. Last one was an Alto 800 which I sold in 2008. Since then, I have driven Ford Fusion (Turbo Diesel), Skoda Rapid (Turbo Diesel) and Kia Seltos (Turbo Petrol) and hence used to driving with both power and torque being available at lower revs. I don’t remember revving the engines beyond 2500RPM during regular drives. However, this car would rev to 3000+ RPM with the gentlest tap on the accelerator, with no delivery of power or proportional increase in speed. For first few days I was almost regretting the purchase and felt I should have gone for a used Turbo Petrol with DCT. However, after a few days I got the balance. Exactly how much pressure on the accelerator will deliver what kind of results – mental calibration started to form. I must say, it is still work in progress. However, I am being able to get to 50kmph (which is the max I may be able to drive at in my city drives) at 1500rmp. I am also getting realistic with my ambitions – this is not my Q3 in which I can do sudden overtakes. Moreover, where is the space to overtake in city drives? I have heard and read a lot of observations about the low bonnet and it not being visible to the driver. However, since I am used to driving cars with much longer bonnets, it is not an issue for me.

There is one aspect of the drive that I did not anticipate at all. I don’t know if this is the normal nature of any CVT - the concept of engine braking seems to be missing!! I observe this every day. As I go down the ramp from the parking in my building the car just picks up speed even when not accelerated at all!! Every time I have to apply brakes to slow it down. How does someone drive this downhill? The brakes would wear off in one trip to the Ghats!!

Likes & Dislikes
These are few things I like about the car:
- Looks! This is the best-looking hatchback in the market, beyond any doubts.
- Fit and finish.
- Back Seat space – almost at par with sedans.
- Seating position – not too low.
- The BOSE Speakers – simply awesome in a car of this size.
- The audible reminder to turn on headlights
These are few things I dislike:
- No auto dimming IRVM. This is expected in a car at this price.
- The arm rest is too low and hence almost useless.
- Only driver’s window button is backlit.
- The AC is always at very high fan speed in Auto mode.

Here are a few photographs of the car

At the time of PDI
Hyundai i20 Review-pdi.jpg

Soon after delivery
Hyundai i20 Review-i20front.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-i20-side.jpg

Hyundai i20 Review-i20-rear.jpg

After detailing
Hyundai i20 Review-i20detailing.jpeg

Last edited by biplab3110 : 30th April 2024 at 09:50.
biplab3110 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2024, 15:35   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post

There is one aspect of the drive that I did not anticipate at all. I don’t know if this is the normal nature of any CVT - the concept of engine braking seems to be missing!! I observe this every day. As I go down the ramp from the parking in my building the car just picks up speed even when not accelerated at all!! Every time I have to apply brakes to slow it down. How does someone drive this downhill? The brakes would wear off in one trip to the Ghats!!
Activate Sports Mode when driving in the hills. This mode will give you engine braking to some extent. Or use the manual mode to shift down.

Last edited by ruskinash : 3rd May 2024 at 15:39.
Old 27th May 2024, 10:44   #728

Hi fellow members,

This is my first thread here so please don’t mind the way I’m putting this through but I thought I’d take the opinions from members here regarding what to do about a small issue that I’m facing with my 2021 i20 Asta (o) DCT.

The car comes with a TPMS and for the first 3 years of ownership the TPMS usually gave warnings for a low tire pressure and I’d immediately go and get it fixed. Now the TPMS is giving out a warning, but this time without the tire reading and with flashing TPMS warning light, so I’m assuming there’s some fault with the sensors.

I just want to know if I should replace them through the dealership, or if I should fill in the correct tire pressure and wait for a day or two to let it re-calibrate, and if I replace them should I get it done through the dealership or an aftermarket shop considering the cost is high for these sensors.

P.S :- The car just finished its warranty run in period and the issues have started coming in.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th May 2024 at 10:46.
Old 27th May 2024, 11:40   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaditya99 View Post
I just want to know if I should replace them through the dealership, or if I should fill in the correct tire pressure and wait for a day or two to let it re-calibrate, and if I replace them should I get it done through the dealership or an aftermarket shop considering the cost is high for these sensors.

P.S :- The car just finished its warranty run in period and the issues have started coming in.
I had few issues with TPMS but not like yours, it would mostly be showing wrong readings but after day or two it would adjust itself. As you said put in the correct pressure and see how it goes. If not get it checked once in the service center and see what they say.
P.S : Please keep in mind when you are filling in the tyres whether they are cold or warm. I made that mistake couple of times, filling in recommended pressure on warm tyres.
Old 27th May 2024, 19:51   #730
BHPian

Hi guys, looking for some advice. My father drives a 2021 petrol i20 AT. His car developed a strange issue about 3 weeks ago.

Issue occurrence 1 - he was driving from Rohini to Noida (almost 40kms) and stopped to buy something. The ignition was on but when he tried to reverse, the throttle didn't respond. The car was in gear, he pressed the accelerator but the car didn't move. Battery and check engine lights lit up. So he turned the car off and tried to turn it on again but the car wont turn on. So we called an FNG who took about 30mins to arrive. Until then the battery was on so it got drained and when the mechanic arrived, he couldn't even run scan. So the mechanic then jumped started it and the ignition responded. He scanned via OBD there were no issues at all. We all agreed it might be a battery issue and drove it home.

Issue occurrence 2 - the car was fine for a few days. My father drove from Noida to Chandigarh without any issues and made some local runs. Yesterday he was driving within Chandigarh when he felt that throttle response is reducing so he quickly parked on a shoulder Then the same thing happened. The ignition was on, battery and engine light lit up and the throttle response was zero. He called another FNG and the mechanic came in 30mins. He said the battery connection had some white deposits which was hindering the power supply. He cleaned the battery connection, turned on the car and it worked. By now we know the issue is not battery related but he was far from home so he decided to return immediately.

Issue occurrence 3 - same day while returning home, the exact same thing happened in the middle of the road. He somehow pushed the car to a shoulder. The ignition response was zero. He realized its not related to battery and apparently if he leaves he car like that for 30ish minutes it works again. Fortunately he was close to home so he parked the car and returned home and then went back after 2 hours to get the car. The car worked in the first crank and drove home without a fuss.

By now we realized its related to fuel supply line or fuel quality.

So he visited Hyundai ASS today morning who ran the scan and said there are no errors. They dismissed it saying they don't see an issue but decided to do a long drive. About 25kms around the city but the issue didn't resurface. The mechanics weren't willing to do anything further but upon assistance, my father met a senior person and explained the issue. The senior guy instantly ordered to replace the fuel pump but mentioned they are out of stock and are awaiting 7 fuel pumps for AT variants of various models

So my questions are:

1. Is fuel pump breakdown a common issue with i20/ Hyundai petrol cars? Even when they are relatively new?
2. While Hyundai ASS refused to check, could this issue actually just relate to bad quality of fuel/ water in fuel tank/ garbage in fuel tank?
3. The car runs out of 3 year warranty in September, does it make sense to extend the warranty to 5 years given a potential manufacturing defect with the fuel line?

Thanks for your time to read my post

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 27th May 2024 at 19:52.
Old 30th May 2024, 12:44   #731

Does the infotainment restart when the car ignition is started? What I mean by restart is the screen dims, music stops playing while starting and then resumes.

I don’t know if this happened when I bought the car or not. The car is only a month old. It doesn’t happen in my Creta. It used to happen in my Tiago when the battery was close to being replaced.
Old 31st May 2024, 11:56   #732

I just found a problem in my new car. One side of my car sprays dirt from the right front wheel onto the front door. The same does not happen on the left front wheel.

I noticed that the right wheel slightly protrudes outward more than the left. My point of reference are the front mud flaps. I am not sure if the problem could be the way the mud flaps are fitted or some other major problem. My first service isn't due for another month.
Old 2nd June 2024, 13:45   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan123 View Post
Does the infotainment restart when the car ignition is started? What I mean by restart is the screen dims, music stops playing while starting and then resumes.
Yes, it happens in our 2023 i20 Sportz (almost 1 year old).
As soon as I insert key and turn once (i.e., Accessories mode) infotainment system starts and music (from bluetooth/AA) starts playing. On turning the key once more (to start the engine), the infotainment system restarts (screen goes off -> comes on -> bluetooth/AA connection happens again).
black_and_red is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 00:21   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan123 View Post
Happens in my i20 as well. Screen goes black and resumes again. I thought this is how it is with all other cars so never paid any attention to it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th June 2024 at 19:47. Reason: typo
Old 5th June 2024, 19:15   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Hi guys, looking for some advice. My father drives a 2021 petrol i20 AT. His car developed a strange issue about 3 weeks ago.

Issue occurrence 1...
Issue occurrence 2 ...

Issue occurrence 3...

So my questions are:

1. Is fuel pump breakdown a common issue with i20/ Hyundai petrol cars? Even when they are relatively new?
2. While Hyundai ASS refused to check, could this issue actually just relate to bad quality of fuel/ water in fuel tank/ garbage in fuel tank?
3. The car runs out of 3 year warranty in September, does it make sense to extend the warranty to 5 years given a potential manufacturing defect with the fuel line?
Update: HASS replaced the fuel pump today, going to test drive the car for a few weeks to see if this was the only problem.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th June 2024 at 19:47. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks