Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2023, 18:06   #1456

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Dear Transmission,
This is absolutely brilliant and exactly what I had in mind. Now I am certain that i am in the right place and will be able to get help whenever in need. Hats off to your patience for such an informative and detailed reply. Wonderful!
Old 22nd February 2023, 20:07   #1457
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite CVT

My cousin owns a Magnite Turbo CVT. She experienced a major breakdown post 5K km once and had to tow the car. The service centre diagnosed the issue to be an electrical fault with the CVT (she didn't mention any more technical details). Luckily, it was covered under warranty.
Also, I've heard that globally too Nissan's CVTs aren't trouble-free.
Hence, I'd either suggest you go for the MT (if the Magnite is a must and trust me, as an owner of one, I wouldn't recommend it to just everyone!) or get the extended warranty upto 5 years.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 21:53   #1458
BHPian

Sir, firstly I want to thank you for service to the country!
As an owner of the Magnite Turbo MT, with over 10.5K km on my odo, I would like to share a few things (and this might be lengthy ).
1) Considering the CVT, I would definitely recommend you go for the Nissan 5-Year Extended Warranty, to avoid any niggles in the future.
2) The car is very practical, spacious and comfortable. Mind you, the seats are slightly on the firm side and are better suited for long distances though. The height adjust is a very welcome feature. I too own a Silver one and trust me, it really suits the car!
3) My cousin has a CVT Magnite and the FE figures are decent, but nothing to brag about.
4) The powertrain is just wonderful! You will really enjoy the turbo kicking in and the car is comfortable and stable at triple digits speeds as well. Coming from the Petrol Ritz, it will feel like a good power upgrade, but the refinement levels are slightly on the lower side with the 3-cyl idle vibrations.
5) I went for the XV variant, as I did not require the additional features of the XV Premium. But I can assure you that the number of features that comes stock is more than sufficient and I've never felt the need to upgrade or add accessories. The essential accessories costed Rs.2500 and I went for that.
I would suggest you go for the XV Premium, if you can, as the cruise control, 360 deg camera and rear AC vents are quite practical upgrades. Not a big fan of the all-black interior though.
6) PDI - please do look at the finishing of interiors and check the paint coat.

With respect to the driving part, I would recommend not exceeding 3000 rpm for the first 500-1000 km, so gentle driving for that part. The Ceat tires are grippy and I recommend maintaining 36psi. (I always get it checked when I fuel up)

I genuinely hope you have a stress-free and pleasant experience with the Magnite, in all aspects, sir!
Old 23rd February 2023, 00:57   #1459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishil.ghurki View Post
My cousin owns a Magnite Turbo CVT. She experienced a major breakdown post 5K km once and had to tow the car. The service centre diagnosed the issue to be an electrical fault with the CVT (she didn't mention any more technical details). Luckily, it was covered under warranty.

Would it be possible for you to find out more details about this incident? Would be good knowledge to have for other Magnite owners too...

Is it a problem with the grounding cable coming off/getting loose? (I had seen 1 other magnite suffer from that elsewhere)
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2023, 14:02   #1460

Thanks a lot for the great information. Under my circumstances I am going for the Turbo CVT Prem and I do hope that the car will remain trouble free. Reg the warranty and service pack - it was suggested to me (thru another website) that I should go for the five year pack - as you are also suggesting. I am going to do that. I will also keep in mind the recommended tire pressure.

I trust I will be able to be a 'sedate driver' though I do not really understand how I can control the rpm levels - probably use a light foot on the accelerator?
Noted other points you have suggested and I thank you for the same. I am pretty excited about this car and hope it will be overall 'good'!!!
mytorciar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 09:56   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Would it be possible for you to find out more details about this incident? Would be good knowledge to have for other Magnite owners too..

Globally Nissan CVTs are not well known for their reliability. In fact, they are known for quite the opposite. But is the CVT in Magnite same as the troublesome unit? Or is it a better more reliable one ? I dont know.

While I am seriously considering booking Magnite CVT can anyone comment more on the long term reliability and durability of Magnite?

How's the interior holding up, are trims and rubber beadings ageing as expected, are there unexpected squeaks and rattles from the car ?These are all direct indicators of how the car has been put together. Is it built to last? I am currently using a petrol polo manual which has crossed 1 lakh KMs and 7 years. Not a single rattle or squeak noise from the dashboard or any plastic or non plastic component even on bad roads(occasional mechanical issues due to wear and tear have happened and corrected but the car always give the feeling that every component is built to last and put together seamlessly)

Can I expect same from Magnite?Now that there would be owners who have used Magnite for close to two years, their observations and experience would be very valuable. Please do share and help fellow bhpians who are considering Magnite as their next car.

Last edited by Sid13 : 24th February 2023 at 09:58. Reason: Adding more..
Old 25th February 2023, 18:51   #1462
BHPian

Today went to Nissan showroom in Kochi, the showroom was under maintenance (Painting etc). However 4 vehicles were on display.

The sales staff were nowhere to be seen in the front area and on asking a house keeping staff a lady and a guy came. After that, the sales staff were supportive in explaining the vehicle and helping to understand features and variants.

I couldn't get a test drive as the vehicle was away on a test drive and was not expected to be back till evening.

However, sat inside the base variant of CVT as well as the top-end(Without Tech Opt) variant of the manual. The instant feeling inside the vehicle appears congested. However I know for a fact that it is not true, coming from a Polo, the interiors are actually more spacious, there is more headroom and legroom in front and rear. However, the front seat appeared less comfortable and less spacious(I think it has to do with weak under-thigh support). The rear had plenty of space behind the driver seat after adjusting the driver seat to my setting. However, the rear seat was more bench-like and did not have enough contours. The lean angle was too upright for my comfort.

The dark interiors made me feel a bit claustrophobic despite the availability of a decent amount of space (it may have partially to do with the lack of lighting inside the showroom as maintenance was ongoing). It was quite apparent that the vehicle is made to a cost and this was evident from the quality of the interior plastic, paint job, and interior fit and finish. However, Nissan has tried very hard and succeeded to an extent in making it not too obvious.

They have agreed to bring the CVT version for a test drive as early as possible. The final decision shall be taken after spending more time inside the vehicle and driving it. However coming from VW, my eyes catch quality issues too quickly in most of the vehicles I experience, with Nissan it was a bit too easy (Compared to Honda City and even Suzuki Brezza I experienced today). The reason I am still looking forward to test-driving the Magnite is, despite its obvious shortcomings, the CVT version seems to be hard to beat VFM.
Old 26th February 2023, 01:38   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
Globally Nissan CVTs are not well known for their reliability. In fact, they are known for quite the opposite. But is the CVT in Magnite same as the troublesome unit? Or is it a better more reliable one ? I dont know.
The infamous Nissan Jatco CVTs are no more. The CVT unit used in the magnite is NOT the same one that was known to have issues.
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 09:10   #1464
BHPian

Let me answer your question in short: if you're coming from a Polo, the Magnite might not be the car for you.

Here's the long version:
The Polo is quintessentially German! It's build quality is far better than anything in the same price range today. I've driven my Magnite for 10.5K in 1 year now and so far I haven't noticed any rattling from the all-plastic interior. But, I cannot assure you that I'll stay the same for the next 7 years, even though it's from a Japanese brand, Nissan.

Coming to the comfort. I'm very surprised that you found the Magnite to be claustrophobic. I had 2 six-footers plus a medium sized passenger in by back seat from Bangalore to Chennai and they were astonished with the amount of space back there (do note that I'm quite short 5'5" but I keep my seat a little behind on longer journeys).

The actual seat on my XV Turbo is slightly on the firmer side and has fabric upholstery. In short, I personally love the seat! Most of my usage is on the highway (70-80%) and firm cushioning is better for such usage. But, I understand your comparison to the Polo. My friend owns a Polo GT TSI 1.0 back in his hometown and every time he travels in my Magnite, he says that the seats are too firm, but he doesn't complain about under-thigh support, as he too is around my height.

The Magnite has 2nd best-in-class practicality and space (second to the Nexon). Disregarding the XUV300 for it's non-updated design and an excuse for boot space, the Magnite is actually a great offering.

Also note that the Magnite's handling is simply: not good! The Polo will have spoilt you, sir!
My humble suggestion would be to go for the 1.0L Taigun (MT or the 6-spd Torque-Converter is equally good). I'm sure it will not feel as well built as the Polo (considering the MQBA0-IN platform), but it comes close!

Hope this helps!
rishil.ghurki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 22:10   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishil.ghurki View Post
Let me answer your question in short: if you're coming from a Polo, the Magnite might not be the car for you.

Hope this helps!
It sure does help! Thanks a tonne for such detailed well thought out response.

I test drove Magninte CVT PRE today on all kinds of roads and traffic conditions. Its absolute VFM! The engine and CVT combo is just great. Its perfect for tight city traffic due to lite steering, good visibility and compact dimensions. The convenience CVT offers is great. The fact that its an extremely good gear box with almost non existent rubber band effect makes its a breeze to drive in city and decent on highways.

About what I mentioned about rear seat of Magnite feeling claustrophobic, I had mentioned that depsite being way more spacious than Polo, I felt the rear to be claustrophobic probably because of all the all dark treatment, adding to it was dull light inside the showroom.

You are lucky that the interiors doesn't rattle. Let it be that way the entire lifetime of your vehicle. The car I test drove today had 600kms on odo. While driving through a concrete brick laid road and some bad patches, the dashboard had rattle sounds coming from various points resembling a dts atmos sound system. The rattles were coming from multiple points that I couldnt figure out where it was from. I immediately asked the sales executive who was on co driver seat about the same and he said most magnites have same issue! Now your vehicle not having this issue, points at lack of consistency in production process.

I think the full digital meter and information console suits an arcade game(However its not a deal breaker for me, it shows what its suppose to show, although not in way I personally prefer)

I found the suspension to be on firmer side but it is not uncomfortable. The same offers good stability at speeds up to 90 Kms (max i could test)

Wife said she could feel expansion joints inside but it was much better than Polo.

Overall I feel Magnite CVT is great VFM.

What worried me is the build quality. To simply put, if the dashboard of a brand new vehicle with only 600kms on odo rattles so much, what would be the state when it hits 10000 kms?
Sid13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 06:22   #1466
BANNED

I have taken a test drive of both Kiger and Magnite, to my surprise, the ride quality of both the cars are really good. The transmission is smooth and there is good power delivery.

Could someone please let me know about the interior quality? I felt it sturdy but not long lasting for some reason.
Old 5th March 2023, 22:02   #1467
BHPian

The Magnite definitely scores top points when it comes to VFM.

I do really hope that the rattles don't begin anytime soon, considering I've clocked up 11k now (touchwood)!
I feel it is too early to give a proper judgement on the interior build quality or sturdiness as even the oldest Magnites are only about two years old.
Right now, most issues are being shoved under the 'warranty-umbrella', hence not much is coming to light either.

I personally feel that the interiors could have definitely been better put together. But, if you're considering the Magnite for a short period (4-5 years) like me, I don't think it should matter too much.
rishil.ghurki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 17:47   #1468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid13 View Post
What worried me is the build quality. To simply put, if the dashboard of a brand new vehicle with only 600kms on odo rattles so much, what would be the state when it hits 10000 kms?
The only issue that really bothers me is build quality. I own a XV Pre CVT and I am happy with the car except the rattling issues - I used to drive a 2016 S-Cross and there were no unwanted noises inside the car after 4 years and 53K kms, but I could hear rattling from Magnite's dashboard from the second week.

One good thing: The rattling is constant, my odo reads 18K, the sounds are same as how it was initially, not increased and I take it positively. But whatever the service centre does, the sounds return within a weeks time.
Mine is one among the initial batches that were manufactured; the new cars are better in this regard is what I understand from other owners who purchased Magnite recently.

Another concern is about the after sales support from Nissan.

Overall Magnite CVT is a VFM car and also a balanced one. I got mine for 11.25 Lakhs OTR and that makes me forget about all other issues.

I was not so happy during the initial days of ownership, but now learned to live with the niggles. Since you have been using a Polo, you would notice vibrations and rattling which are not familiar to you from everywhere - dashboard, doors, bumpers and so on; but you will get adjusted to that.

If the vibrations / rattles are something that really bothers you while driving, better to look for other options.
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 14:30   #1469
BHPian

Nissan Magnite's rear left wheel bearing is damaged at just 18000 Kms. My standard warranty got expired and I am on extended warranty, this issue surfaced two days after the expiry of standard warranty (a week after the 2nd service) and Nissan has rejected the warranty claim saying Terms & Conditions of Extended Warranty says bearings are not covered.

The car has clocked just 18000 kilometres and I haven't driven on water logged areas/ muddy roads or on off-roads. The wheel alignment and balancing done every 5000 kilometres. Still bearing has failed, which is supposed to last much longer. Had written to customer care and also spoken to Nissan ASM. The ASM says he can give 50% discount as a goodwill gesture.

This is not an isolated case, I know a few other people who had issue with the wheel bearing and luckily they were all under standard warranty hence they got is changed under warranty. The point is there is some quality/design issue with the part, otherwise wheel bearings never fail at such low kilometres and it is not fair from the side of Nissan to reject warranty for a part which is not supposed to get damaged so soon.

I started getting the humming sound a week after 2 year service and just after 2 days of expiry of warranty. Since they have a clause saying bearings are not covered under EW, the warranty claim is rejected.

Extremely disappointed with how things has turned out and the way Nissan is handling customer complaints.
dudevarkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 21:32   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Nissan Magnite's rear left wheel bearing is damaged at just 18000 Kms. My standard warranty got expired and I am on extended warranty, this issue surfaced two days after the expiry of standard warranty (a week after the 2nd service) and Nissan has rejected the warranty claim saying Terms & Conditions of Extended Warranty says bearings are not covered.

The car has clocked just 18000 kilometres and I haven't driven on water logged areas/ muddy roads or on off-roads. The wheel alignment and balancing done every 5000 kilometres. Still bearing has failed, which is supposed to last much longer. Had written to customer care and also spoken to Nissan ASM. The ASM says he can give 50% discount as a goodwill gesture.

This is not an isolated case, I know a few other people who had issue with the wheel bearing and luckily they were all under standard warranty hence they got is changed under warranty. The point is there is some quality/design issue with the part, otherwise wheel bearings never fail at such low kilometres and it is not fair from the side of Nissan to reject warranty for a part which is not supposed to get damaged so soon.

I started getting the humming sound a week after 2 year service and just after 2 days of expiry of warranty. Since they have a clause saying bearings are not covered under EW, the warranty claim is rejected.

Extremely disappointed with how things has turned out and the way Nissan is handling customer complaints.
This is really sad. I was thinking about the car, seeing the heavy marketing happening at Cochin nowadays, but these real feedbacks made me think with the brain. Quite sad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks