Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 21:00   #766
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Today I was passing by the Nissan showroom and thought it was closed because it's a Sunday. But surprisingly saw people inside, around the Magnite. Wife and kids were with me, hence I called up my executive and went inside so that they can have a look at the car.

While wifey was doing her comparison of Magnite with S-Cross, I was chatting with the executive. He said they already have more than 450 bookings and people are just booking the car even though there is no information about delivery timelines. I heard them saying to a customer that it would take minimum 4 months (or more) to get delivery if he books now, but the customer said it's only a matter of few months, and booked the car.

Earlier they were saying TD car will be available after 15th, but today they said they are not sure about that. The executive was saying he had driven the Turbo CVT during his training and you can buy it without a second thought.
dudevarkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 22:03   #767
Senior - BHPian

On my way back from Iskcon Temple, dropped by at the Nissan dealership on Kanakapura Road this afternoon.

The sales person was quite courteous, well informed & eager to assist despite there being a good amount of people moving in and out at the showroom. People are interested largely because of the price.

Test Drives will start on 15th December and customers who've booked will get priority. This is good because they're basically assisting customers who've already bought into it to assess the car thoroughly. Dealers have been instructed not to charge anything for cancellation.

Coming to the car, will lay down a few things I felt :

STRICTLY 4 seater. 5th passenger will surely be a tight squeeze unless all 3 sitting behind are kids. Rear arm rest is a tad narrow but, ok.

Driver ergonomics seem good. Visibility seemed good. Navigator gets a large sized glovebox. Rear AC vent will be much appreciated.

Despite the small cabin space, the interior optimisation is well planned & thoughtfully laid out for keeping water bottles, phones, file folders etc. For the segment, fit and finish is very good.

Magnite has a 3 year extended warranty package available. The 5 year AMC package priced at 17k makes it very good value as that comes to just 3.5K per annum, viz the same as what Tata charges for my AMT Nano! Strongly suggest the Extended Warranty & AMC. Also, I'll repeat, if you're buying their CVT then do change (without "flushing") the automatic transmission fluid after ~70k kms even if the manual allows for a longer duration.

Huge boon that the Engine bay is well laid out with plenty of room for mechanics to work.
Nissan Magnite Review-img_20201213_125158.jpg

Waiting Periods :
Base variant : 2 months
Higher manual variants : 1 month
CVT variants : 6 weeks
Any variant in Red Colour : 2 months

Dealers are probably earning only from Insurance and "Basic Accessories". But they've been instructed to focus on building costumer confidence so they won't push back much. Also, there are many dealers in metro cities.

Price protection for bookings made in December. Base variant will see a steep 10% rise and others will be at least ~6%.

Strategy : Nissan needed market traction & attention, hence the aggressive pricing strategy. The buzz this has created among buyers of the largest type of car sold in India - hatchbacks - is largely because of the price & the company is probably going to make the car more profitable after the initial buzz.

My cousin owns a Sonet and I'd surely agree that Sonets' design has better road presence & interior quality has its unique premium look, the Magnite has slightly less road presence with budget (but good enough) interiors.

All this car needs to do is to just exist especially so that Kia/Hyundai come back to senses with pricing as well as variant distribution.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 13th December 2020 at 22:32.
GrammarNazi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:51   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
On my way back from Iskcon Temple, dropped by at the Nissan dealership on Kanakapura Road this afternoon.

My cousin owns a Sonet and I'd surely agree that Sonets' design has better road presence & interior quality has its unique premium look, the Magnite has slightly less road presence with budget (but good enough) interiors.

All this car needs to do is to just exist especially so that Kia/Hyundai come back to senses with pricing as well as variant distribution.

Very well written. I fully agree on your comment about KIA. With a sub-4 meter SUV with a top petrol spec touch 15 Lakhs is really steep. Even though I want to buy it but 15L is beyond my pocket. Moreover I think Nissan fits so well into my pocket. 10.5L for a top spec seems very aggressive. But my only concern is Nissan's ability to capitalize on this situation. Hence I still want to go for Nissan. Though I also test drove SCross Zeta which is very close to Magnite and it is available for 12L on road Faridabad. So currently I'm very confused. Scross or Magnite. Once will drive Magnite CVT, that will clear some air for me.
harpreetsubhi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:05   #769
BHPian

FYI - after my complaint and escalation to Nissan India, Neo Nissan has

1 ) Removed the handling charges from all bookings. If you have a booking with handling charge get it removed. Their new pricing sheet has NO HANDLING CHARGES
2 ) Agreed to either match my insurance quote or let me take the insurance from outside

Guys, Nissan India has changed. They are aggressive and seem to have tightened control over the dealers. One escalation email and the dealer's tone changed from "we can cancel your booking and refund you the amount immediately" to "why did you complain to Nissan"

If things go this way Nissan India's fortunes will rise again. Good for the consumer to have an underdog challenge HMIL and MSIL
akg7091 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:22   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpreetsubhi View Post
Though I also test drove SCross Zeta which is very close to Magnite and it is available for 12L on road Faridabad.
S-Cross close to Magnite? Are you comparing on road price? Guess 12L is for S-Cross Zeta manual.
I haven't driven Magnite yet, but I think S-Cross is far more comfortable and stable. First thing, S-Cross is not a sub 4 metre car. It's front seats are bigger, it has lot of space in rear, and more boot space also. But it lacks on some features like 360° camera, wireless android auto/ Apple car play. Overall I would vote for S-Cross but the 4 speed torque converter is the only barrier. Also there is chances that Maruti would discontinue it.

Positives for Magnite XV Premium CVT - it offers all features available in S-Cross Zeta Auto except all 4 disc brakes and costs almost 2L less.
The rear seat comfort (mainly thigh support) is almost par with S-Cross despite being the smallest subcompact SUV/crossover in the market and offers better ground clearance too.

If the car is going to be used mostly in city, then Magnite is the best option; otherwise S-Cross (if you are ok to live with the 4 Speed Torque converter). This is the opinion of a person who has booked Magnite CVT after selling his S-Cross Zeta (Diesel)

Last edited by dudevarkey : 14th December 2020 at 22:29.
dudevarkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 01:29   #771
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post

Guys, Nissan India has changed. They are aggressive and seem to have tightened control over the dealers. One escalation email and the dealer's tone changed from "we can cancel your booking and refund you the amount immediately" to "why did you complain to Nissan"
Wow! This is so good to hear.

See, it helps when the top guys have a track record of success in the car industry. Bringing in Mr. Rakesh Srivastava was a masterstroke by Nissan India. With successful earlier stints at both, Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai, he knows the Indian car market like the back of his hand. And now, it looks like his efforts are beginning to show at the crucial first point of contact, the dealerships. Let’s see if all the dealers can get their act together to deal with the newfound success that has suddenly poured in.

Last edited by RSR : 15th December 2020 at 01:32.
RSR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:56   #772
BHPian

Magnite Vs Sonet: Acceleration Test

According to the test, Nissan Magnite CVT is actually faster than Kia Sonet DCT in both 0-100kph sprint and roll-on acceleration even though the Sonet is having DCT transmission and 20 HP more power / 20 Nm more torque.

https://indianautosblog.com/nissan-m...arison-p322041

Last edited by dudevarkey : 15th December 2020 at 12:03.
dudevarkey is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 12:10   #773
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it does look like the choice for the 'man' at the top, makes all the difference. He has come in and acted swiftly. Now, the product must speak. If they do call me today, I'm looking forward to a test drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
See, it helps when the top guys have a track record of success in the car industry. Bringing in Mr. Rakesh Srivastava was a masterstroke by Nissan India.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 19:43   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Magnite Vs Sonet: Acceleration Test

According to the test, Nissan Magnite CVT is actually faster than Kia Sonet DCT in both 0-100kph sprint and roll-on acceleration even though the Sonet is having DCT transmission and 20 HP more power / 20 Nm more torque.
The latest Autocar issue has detailed reviews of both the Sonet and Magnite and tells a different story:
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-picture3.png  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th December 2020 at 19:44.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:03   #775
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The latest Autocar issue has detailed reviews of both the Sonet and Magnite and tells a different story:
Of course Sonet is faster because of more powerful engine. But I don't think anyone, except reviewers, cares about that in this segment.
Anxiousblock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:48   #776
BHPian

went to check out nissan magnite with very low expectations but then to see the car in real is something different...loved the back spoiler integration and the legspace for the second row, the tilted placement for infotainment system reminded of the old cielo dashboard , eventhough the seats and plasitcs looks a bit inferior to venue/sonet for 11 lakh (top end with 360camera) magnite looks a vfm proposition

Btw the white projector lamps and DRL looks super cool.

Last edited by quakerme : 16th December 2020 at 12:50.
quakerme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 12:53   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Magnite bookings cross 10,000, waiting period 3 months.

10k booking celebrations

Nissan Magnite Review-smartselect_20201216125208_chrome.jpg

Nissan Magnite Review-smartselect_20201216125224_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 13:51   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Nissan Magnite bookings cross 10,000, waiting period 3 months.
Simply stunning!! 10k bookings within 15 days of launch shows Nissan's honest intent finally showering reward.

Now only if they can ramp up their infrastructure, this beauty can find 8-10k homes monthly on a regular basis.
Deadpool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:47   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
FYI - after my complaint and escalation to Nissan India, Neo Nissan has

1 ) Removed the handling charges from all bookings. If you have a booking with handling charge get it removed. Their new pricing sheet has NO HANDLING CHARGES
2 ) Agreed to either match my insurance quote or let me take the insurance from outside

If things go this way Nissan India's fortunes will rise again. Good for the consumer to have an underdog challenge HMIL and MSIL
Hi how did you escalate to nissan, I had sent email to the id found at their website but no response, the local dealer says they will not match or waive of the handling charges, they seems happy to cancel the booking than doing it. If such behaviour before purchase i think it may not be good idea to give my business to them
castiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:56   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
the local dealer says they will not match or waive of the handling charges
You booked with EVM? Which variant/colour and what was the ex-showroom price quoted? Also, have they told anything about Test Drive car availability?

Last edited by dudevarkey : 16th December 2020 at 16:58.

Most Viewed