Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 07:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

I have said this before, Nissan will surely launch the Magnite one segment lower than the traditional sub4m cross overs. So I see the Magnite having the same price band as the Triber. It loses the functionality of the additional seats, but packs in some added features to compensate for. So the magnite is a great alternative to a Baleno or even the i20, and thats the only way Nissan is going to grab eyeballs and some sales too.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:24   #62
BHPian

re: Nissan Magnite Review

Thank you for an excellent close look.

The all black interior looks rather drab, a little bit of dual-toning wouldn't hurt . Somehow black is now associated with 'sporty'. We see it on the Venue Sport and the Sonet GTX variants. Overall it feels far too basic than what competition is offering.

The infotainment system looks 5 years too old for a 2020 car. TFT instrument cluster looks modern though. Honda like storage in some places, which is nice. I really hope the cellphone holding cut-out becomes a standard thing in all cars considering even entry level hatchbacks now support android auto and apple's car play.

I think the car looks its best when viewed from the side. Not a fan of the massive grille at the front. From the back it look pretty close to the xuv300, the taillights are near identical. Something about the back feels incomplete though, doesn't it? maybe it's the number-plate that sits low. I would have favoured that it sit it higher at the center like in the xuv300.

The allow Wheels are interesting. I don't hate them , I don't love them.It's not quite there in the crossover space and is more premium hatchback than Compact SUV. Just my thoughts based on images though, maybe I will feel differently after seeing it in person.
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:31   #63
BHPian

A lot has already been said about the smashing exteriors and not-so-rich interiors (Datsun impact), however, the price range floating around seems highly optimistic. Since Magnite is majorly based on the Triber, we can do some back of the hand calculations to arrive at a price range (I know pricing is a strategic step, but still)

The top-end Triber RXZ Manual is priced at INR 6.94 lacs (ex-Delhi). Let's see what Magnite offers on top:
a) Turbo-Petrol instead of the NA engine : a bare minimum 50k-70k premium
b) CVT : around 80k premium (could be a lakh as well)
c) Features like 360 camera, digital cluster, TPMS, wireless AA, LED headlamps, 16-inch wheels, dual tone paint, minus 2 airbags : IMO, all this can easily add 60-80k
d) SUV vs MPV and Nissan vs Renault - This is debatable but we have seen SUV's getting priced higher across brands and Nissan will be no different. On top, Nissan versions have always carried premium over their Renualt equivalent : These 2 factors alone can add 25-30k to the final price

Let's see what we arrive at : 6.94 + 70k + 80k + 80k + 30k = INR 9.54 lacs. IMHO, the top end Magnite CVT will be priced closer to 9.25-9.5 lacs. If Nissan goes very agressive, it could be priced around INR 8.99 lacs. Expecting anything lower would be criminal.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 22nd October 2020 at 08:43.
tarik.arora is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:03   #64
BHPian

The key here is the “speculated pricing”. If that is indeed the case, Indian customers are forgiving lot and will flock to the showroom for Magnite. This will be a disruptive product in Indian Auto industry, if and only if, the pricing is right - will undercut across segments of hatchback, premium hatchback, small sedans, c-suv.

Nissan first needs to get foot falls in their showrooms and then worry / think about after sales. Right now, they have absolutely nothing in their showrooms to warrant footfalls.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:07   #65
Senior - BHPian

I hope for the sake of the gents and ladies employed in near empty Nissan dealerships, that this Magnite model does well. Nissan however, deserves no sympathy.

As a product, the Magnite's external 'thunder' and appeal seems majorly lost, when one opens the doors to check the cabin internals. At least, that's the feeling I get. Finely crafted words on Engineering may be nice to read for a few, but to most Indians this mumbo-jumbo doesn't work. What the eyes sees and perceives, matters.

What I do hope (again), for those dealership folks, is that Nissan India price it right so at least the dealerships start seeing some footfalls. And the shop floor folks have a chance to convince prospects to consider the Magnite.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:11   #66
BHPian

A promising launch by Nissan. Overall car seems to be nicely packaged in terms of space and features. Nissan for sure is betting big on this car and they for sure have put in a lot of thought.

LED headlamps, 360 deg camera, Air purifier, wireless Android auto and Apple carplay, Nissan connect and the feature list goes on. All this added on to the practicality of space and if priced well, this for sure is a winner!

IMO, if the expected OTR price for fully loaded version is around 8.5 or 9L, Magnite will blow a dynamite in sales
dvr08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:12   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

As per the Autocar Video, the price of the Magnite is expected to start at 5.3 lacs and the Top variant with Turbo CVT is expected to be at 7.5 Lacs ! At this price point it can really be a game changer for Nissan and will be much better value than the other cars available in the same price segment!

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd October 2020 at 10:14.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
As per the Autocar Video, the price of the Magnite is expected to start at 5.3 lacs and the Top variant with Turbo CVT is expected to be at 7.5 Lacs !
https://Youtu.be/BnakWlkyb6o
If they can pull-off this pricing, we will give them a Roadies Salute.

The interior are an indication that they are trying to target a low price point (I think the interiors are horrible!). But at that price, its technically competing with higher end Wagon-R.

If the pricing is as per prediction, I think Nissan has accepted their fate in Indian market and will stick to low cost strategy. Something which Chinese companies settle for in mature markets. Sad for a Japanese company!
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
If they can pull-off this pricing, we will give them a Roadies Salute.

The interior are an indication that they are trying to target a low price point (I think the interiors are horrible!). But at that price, its technically competing with higher end Wagon-R.
True, the Interiors are quite drab and I only wish that they had stuck with the Concept Interiors which they had shown a few weeks back in the Video with their designer.

Nissan Magnite Review-interior.jpg

This one had really tasteful interiors. Guess this is the difference between design and reality!

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd October 2020 at 10:48.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiii View Post
I have never been impressed by a Nissan/Renault car in India before but this seems like a great proposition for our market. 1 liter turbo with CVT pricing is what I’m looking forward to.
The Datsun Go and Go+ with CVT are pretty expensive than their manual counterparts so I am not very optimistic about the CVT pricing; more so because they only release that in the top-end only or penultimate variant.

AMTs from Renault are an exception to this.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:07   #71
BANNED

This car looks fantastic!!

The front is clearly inspired from Datsun. But for me, the design is up there with the Sonnet and Venue.
I didn't really like the design of the dashboard but that is subjective and it might just grow on me
once I see it in person.
This car has a lot of segment first features too. Nissan is a very good car manufacturer but the only
thing to blame is the ASS.
Hopefully in the coming years Nissan would get that sorted. I am really looking forward to the Magnite's launch.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
a) Turbo-Petrol instead of the NA engine : a bare minimum 50k-70k premium
This would be the debut of this engine, depends on what its worth, as per GTO he doesn't have much hopes even with the addition of the turbo keeping the other 1 litre turbos available in mind.

Quote:
b) CVT : around 80k premium (could be a lakh as well)
The Datsun GO comes with a CVT too, there it charges a premium of 60k over the manual. Do not forget, this was originally a Datsun product.

Quote:
c) Features like 360 camera, digital cluster, TPMS, wireless AA, LED headlamps, 16-inch wheels, dual tone paint, minus 2 airbags : IMO, all this can easily add 60-80k
Some reviewers have pointed out poor camera quality along with laggy application of wireless apple carplay. Cost of Digital equipments vary depending on its quality, there doesnt seem to be high quality stuff here. So I will go with your lower estimate here.

Quote:
d) SUV vs MPV and Nissan vs Renault - This is debatable but we have seen SUV's getting priced higher across brands and Nissan will be no different. On top, Nissan versions have always carried premium over their Renualt equivalent : These 2 factors alone can add 25-30k to the final price
I agree with you mostly, however i feel they will not take the Triber into consideration. They need this product to click and they will have an empty ground to play till the Kiger launches(atleast 3 to 6 months). Infact there were reports earlier mentioning the postponement of Kigers launch to favour the Magnite. If things go well they can always increase prices to put it at a premium over the Kiger. If not then bye bye Nissan. They are drowning and only the Magnite can keep them afloat. As of now they have done well in presenting and promoting the product, lets see if the other factors work out as well.

Quote:
Let's see what we arrive at : 6.94 + 70k + 80k + 80k + 30k = INR 9.54 lacs. IMHO, the top end Magnite CVT will be priced closer to 9.25-9.5 lacs. If Nissan goes very agressive, it could be priced around INR 8.99 lacs. Expecting anything lower would be criminal.
If I take the lower end of your calculations i still see the possibility of a 7.99 ex showroom atleast. Just ask yourself if you would pay 8.99 for a Datsun? The Tata Nexon XMA-S is 8.96 ex showroom to put things in perspective.

I think the comparisons to the Sonet/Venue/Nexon/XUV 300 is pointless. Like I said before its a Tigor vs Dzire scene.

One other thing is I feel Nissan should have called this the Magnet because eventually that is what people will call it.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this!

Turbo petrol and CVT alone will translate to over 1.5 Lakh, 8.99L Ex-Showroom for the top-end model seems to a fair price.

If it rides well like its elder brother/cousin, this could very will be my next car.
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:27   #74
BHPian

A lot is being said about the interior, and rightly so. A quick comparison with the concept version showed that there is not much change in the design.

Screen grab from the Concept version shown by their design manager
Nissan Magnite Review-screen-shot-20201022-11.16.43-am.png

The unveiled version, from Aditya's photos
Nissan Magnite Review-screen-shot-20201022-11.13.16-am.png

2 major changes
1. The Infotainment screen - it was always expected to have a more down to earth screen. So this is not a letdown for me.
2. The colour scheme - the red+black mixed design was looking more upmarket. Even a black+beige combination would have worked better in the production version.

But more importantly, it is the fit and finish and quality of materials. The lustrous finish on the concept is replaced with hard plastics of reality - and it clearly shows in the pictures. Top of the dashboard is particularly evident here - see how the light reflects on the hard plastic dash near the central AC vents and right side of the driver console.
Nissan Magnite Review-20201022_113239.png

I guess it will feel even worse in real world with continued usage, this will not age well.

But if they are targeting the price range being speculated, can we really fault Nissan for this kind of parts? They are serving par here.

I hope in this case, "the whole would be greater than sum of the parts".

Last edited by cuboid : 22nd October 2020 at 11:35.
cuboid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:35   #75
BHPian

This car definitely looks good no doubt but not great. If they shouldn't have used that Datsun grill, then it might have looked better in my opinion. A good design nonetheless.

If I would buy one, I will certainly look for the sheet metal thickness and the structural rigidity as well. And I hope Nissan might have got it decently unlike the Datsun models.

The 1.0 turbo petrol might be a good performer I reckon. I haven't seen the weight of this car but I am assuming this will be slightly lighter than the competition. Assuming Nissan will price this VERY aggressively as this would be their last ray of hope in the Indian market. If yes, this could bring some much-needed sales volume for the brand Nissan.

The interior looks okay but probably not at par with the competition. Nonetheless, by looking at the videos I have to conclude that Nissan managed to get good space in this car and also the boot space.

CVT might not sound very interesting to someone who wants to have some fun to drive factor. But again, these days cannot say anything as the gearbox might surprise us.

If they are also able to betterment their after-sales, probably Nissan will have a winner here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks