Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 12:05   #721
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet0051 View Post
You have continued running it for 9 years will continue till 10 as well it seems. Don't you the value would have tanked considerably in last 3 years. Or any idea of when did it really tank. I have owned a Rapid with same mill under the hood and drove for 6+ years with 1.2lac kms it was sold for under 3 lacs.
Well, my car has run over 177,000 Kms till date and is still going strong. In fact, given my high run, i as already at 135,000 kms around 6-7 years of ownership and then the running dropped a bit else might have touched 200,000 till now.

Coming to the Vento 1.6 TDI itself, i would have NEVER changed the car if not for this rule of 10 years life in Delhi NCR. I am from Mumbai and given that my parents still drive cars on their own, i am thinking of re-registering the car from Delhi to Mumbai and use it there for another 5 years. in any case, will not be able to keep car in Delhi NCR after March 2022. The resale value of VW/ SKoda cars is anyways low and it is something that i was aware when i purchased the car in 2012 too, but that STONKING 1.6 TDI was enough for me to go nuts over this car and it has served well till date running on everything stock except HU (changed to 330G plus around 3 years back) and 2 tyres change.

It is extremely difficult to find a replacement for such a car, and given my budget has not increased much since i purchased the Vento, i am still looking in the range of 10-12 lacs OTR whatever best i can get. In this case, I find Magnite as a good value proposition. Some people might think that as a downgrade coming from Vento 1.6 TDI, but there seems to be no other good value proposition in Diesel in 10-12 lacs range. I am only looking at the highest spec car so as to avoid any outside changes etc. Staying away from Mahindra and Tata due to earlier bad experience with their vehicles.
Turbo_anup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 14:18   #722
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

And I think it is the other way around - more than Nissan needing India, it is our marker which needs Magnite to be successful. Else, we will continue to pay that excess premium for laziness and narrowmindedness defined by the art of profiteering.
Late to this thread. Read all posts and yours struck a chord. These words of yours should be cast in gold. We need likes of Nissan Magnite more than Nissan needs us. Otherwise, the way even hatchback prices are climbing up, we will be paying 20 lakhs for hatchbacks and 30 lakhs for mini-SUVs soon. We need such under-dogs as Nissan to turn things around.

BTW, what a pass Nissan has come to in India. The company which makes GTR which can run rings around many sports cars is having to start at the ground floor. Hope the come-back kid sees some success this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
I really need to know where exactly the cost cutting in the Nissan Magnite is. Such a price tag for a car seems unrealistic. It gives me horrors of overdone cost cutting and possible safety issues. Could anyone please point out how the Magnite is lakhs cheaper than its competitors?
I am really amused by how we tend to suspect someone who has, for once, priced his car sensibly but line up and buy cars which are ridiculously over-priced, with no questions asked. I'm not pointing out to you. I'm just talking about our general mind set which most of us seem to have.
pgsagar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 17:15   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am really amused by how we tend to suspect someone who has, for once, priced his car sensibly but line up and buy cars which are ridiculously over-priced, with no questions asked. I'm not pointing out to you. I'm just talking about our general mind set which most of us seem to have.
Normally I'd 100% agree with you but the Renault-Nissan alliance has a troubling history of cost-cutting on bodyshell integrity, airbag size etc. Just not expected of an internationally acclaimed manufacturer.

https://indianautosblog.com/renault-...h-test-p232064

https://indianautosblog.com/india-ma...y-fail-p266772

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th December 2020 at 17:16.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 18:41   #724
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spent the weekend with the Magnite CVT and I have to say, I am quite impressed at its value proposition. VFM price, looks good, nice turbo-petrol engine, smooth well-tuned CVT in a sea of jerky AMTs, good legroom overall, useable boot and neutral road manners.

Main downside is the stiff ride. You feel everything on the road, big potholes come in strong and there is side-to-side swaying on bad roads too. This is the biggest complaint that owners will have. 36 PSI is Nissan's recommended tyre pressure. I dropped it to 32 - while that improved matters, the ride was still too firm & too basic. Second downside are the budget interiors. They are strictly "okay" in terms of quality.
I drove the MT today. Didn't impress me like the CVT. Where the CVT's smoothness is the best-in-class, the MT's shift quality is quite clunky / notchy. The MT's clutch has weight, like you would expect in a diesel car, not a small petrol. Driveability is fair & its not dead off boost (cleared the 2nd gear speed breaker test too). The 1.0 turbo-petrol has a good mid-range and is enjoyable once the turbo is spooling, but it grudgingly revs to its max limit of ~6500 rpm, groaning & moaning when there.

I'd pick the well-tuned CVT over the MT 10 times out of 10. The MT will be cumbersome in traffic with that lousy gearshift quality & clutch.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 19:36   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Normally I'd 100% agree with you but the Renault-Nissan alliance has a troubling history of cost-cutting on bodyshell integrity, airbag size etc. Just not expected of an internationally acclaimed manufacturer.

https://indianautosblog.com/renault-...h-test-p232064

https://indianautosblog.com/india-ma...y-fail-p266772
With due regards, I hope we all agree that none of the makers except TATA focus on safety. Blame the legal loop holes in terms of regulation or the blind eyes who buy cars through their ears. Sigh! S-presso scored a famous zero star recently, and is testimony to the lack of focus on safety.

Coming back to Renault Nissan, they are globally acclaimed and like any other OEM, their cars may be built to the prevailing boundaries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I hope Nissan have the personnel and the required expertise to handle a sudden surge in enquiries, test drives and bookings!. This is probably their first time ever with this kind of demand generation. They must ensure that they are not found wanting here!.

Word spreads very fast and even if two customers do not get a proper response or failed promises, enter social media in action!.

"That is why I told you not to go for Nissan, just buy Maruti or Hyundai even for a slightly higher cost, but have peace of mind"!.

Maruti and Hyundai can afford to have a couple of dissatisfied customers. They are the Virat and Rohit of the automobile industry and will not be dropped .

Nissan is still the Shreyas Iyer or Shubman Gill !.
Nice analogy drawn to cricket. But let us not forget Nissan is globally acclaimed and have wealth of experiences in managing launches and also strong players on high volume markets like the US and China.

Maruti and Hyundai have that scale to over price their cars at launch and later keep throwing exorbitant discounts against well engineered products from lower volume players.

Again, in cricketing parlance, for Nissan in India, "Form is temporary, Class is permanent"

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th December 2020 at 19:46. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
ganadrive16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:12   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I drove the MT today. Didn't impress me like the CVT.
Quite a similar observation and comment from many. I think, unless someone loves a clutch and desperately wants to shift gears or extremely tight on budget, the CVT is an easy choice over the manual. There could be a marginal reduction in fuel efficiency, but in the lifetime of a car in varying circumstances, no big deal.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 20:41   #727
BHPian

The Noida dealer is NOT allowing me to take insurance from outside and has offered to "cancel" the booking and refund the cheque amount paid (50% of car value) [ they had earlier in Nov agreed in writing that I can take insurance from outside ]. They had also promised delivery by 1st week of Jan when payment was made but not delayed that to potentially March.

I don't want to miss out on a good car because of a bad dealer, but if I fight it out then the dealer will make hassle for the next 5 years during after sales. Any suggestions ? I can complain to IRDA about the insurance agency ( dealer ) forcing me to take insurance from them but it's gonna mess up the car service in the future. Should I just pay the extra 18k for insurance as a "bribe" to get good service in the future ?
You We Nissan doesn't even return calls ( registered my number 10+ times with their receptionist ) so it's not an option to try and switch dealers.

Nissan really needs to reign in it's dealers. If dealers can renegade on written emails and confirmations at will then the whole idea of agreements is void ab initio and the law of the jungle is supreme

Anybody else dealing with Neo Nissan Noida for a magnite? How is your experience with these guys ?
akg7091 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:09   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Some people might think that as a downgrade coming from Vento 1.6 TDI, but there seems to be no other good value proposition in Diesel in 10-12 lacs range. I am only looking at the highest spec car so as to avoid any outside changes etc. Staying away from Mahindra and Tata due to earlier bad experience with their vehicles.
Did you consider the Kia Sonet HTK+ Petrol DCT? Although not top end, it has most features of the Magnite petrol top end at around 12 lakhs OTR Delhi (2 airbags, auto AC, modern infotainment, lots of safety features like ESC, HAC, VSM, TCS etc.) - Plus a superior powertrain (more powerful Direct injected & Turbo charged engine instead of a only a turbo charged engine), a more enthusiastic transmission (DCT) and better road presence etc.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 9th December 2020 at 21:16.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:21   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
it has most features of the Magnite petrol top end at around 12 lakhs OTR Delhi .
There is approx 1.5 L difference between Nissan XV Pre CVT and Sonet HTK + Auto. Sonet HTK+ DCT has HAC, stability control etc. But rear seat is cramped. Also no split folding rear seats, no rear wiper, no adjustable head restraints in rear, no alloy wheels.

Of course Sonet DCT is a lot more fun to drive than Magnite CVT. Also Sonet has better road presence.
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 02:26   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
...but there seems to be no other good value proposition in Diesel in 10-12 lacs range...
Off topic but curious to know why you are not considering Ecosport Titanium MT or Amaze VX CVT. Even the cheaper Aspire Titanium+ with 6 airbags is an excellent value proposition. In case you've already mentioned the need for AT only, then also Amaze is VFM with the only fly in the ointment being the non-adjustable rear headrests.
Old 10th December 2020, 06:43   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_kumar View Post
Off topic but curious to know why you are not considering Ecosport Titanium MT or Amaze VX CVT.
Just to let you know Amaze does not have ESP which is a very important safety feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Magnite Review-c3d9fafcc6a24b18b5ef5ec9619839b0.png  

Godzilla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 09:33   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Just to let you know Amaze does not have ESP which is a very important safety feature.
Thank you. Yes, I'm aware that ESP is not available in Amaze, however, I was not comparing Amaze with Magnite. My statement was in the context of "good value proposition in Diesel in 10-12 lacs range". Though ESP is an important active safety feature it is not yet prevalent in India especially in sub 12-lakh segment. But things are changing slowly as more and more models are getting it albeit exclusively in turbo and/or AT trims. Appreciate Nissan for providing it in Magnite at this price point.
k_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 09:49   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Should I just pay the extra 18k for insurance as a "bribe" to get good service in the future ?
You We Nissan doesn't even return calls ( registered my number 10+ times with their receptionist ) so it's not an option to try and switch dealers.
If I were in your place, I'd have either complained or taken my refund.

A dealer should not armtwist a customer by going back from a written or agreed deal.

There is no guarantee of good service (competency issue) even if you pay 18k extra by taking their insurance. If a dealer can withdraw from a written deal, he can be having more unethical tricks saved for later once customers starting coming for service (more money is earned from service than sales).

If Nissan company is not making any interventions, you are placing the future of your car (service related) into the hands of the dealer with no solid assurance of company's backing in case of service related issue.
PaddleShifter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 10:08   #734
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to miss out on a good car because of a bad dealer, but if I fight it out then the dealer will make hassle for the next 5 years during after sales. Any suggestions ? I can complain to IRDA about the insurance agency ( dealer ) forcing me to take insurance from them but it's gonna mess up the car service in the future. Should I just pay the extra 18k for insurance as a "bribe" to get good service in the future ?
Sales and service are two different sections of a dealership. Your Service advisor wouldn't be handling your sales related issues or vice-versa, so shouldn't be an issue. However, they might give you some troubles during insurance claims if you opt for outside insurance. Try escalating the issue to Nissan officials via email or twitter as you have written proofs with you. It's become a norm these days, you have to fight to get a good deal.
ATRONIX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 10:23   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nissan really needs to reign in it's dealers. If dealers can renegade on written emails and confirmations at will then the whole idea of agreements is void ab initio and the law of the jungle is supreme

Anybody else dealing with Neo Nissan Noida for a magnite? How is your experience with these guys ?
I dont think Nissan dealers have previously received any attention from public like Magnite has drawn. So expect them to try and squeeze as much as possible from customers.

Please do not expect the company to have a grip over its dealers, Nissan has very few dealers even in major cities and is at the mercy of its dealers to sell this car. You should know full well what you are getting into, this is no Maruti \ Hyundai.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks