Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 00:32   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I spent the weekend with the Magnite CVT and I have to say, I am quite impressed at its value proposition. VFM price, looks good, nice turbo-petrol engine, smooth well-tuned CVT in a sea of jerky AMTs, good legroom overall, useable boot and neutral road manners.

Main downside is the stiff ride. You feel everything on the road, big potholes come in strong and there is side-to-side swaying on bad roads too. This is the biggest complaint that owners will have. 36 PSI is Nissan's recommended tyre pressure. I dropped it to 32 - while that improved matters, the ride was still too firm & too basic. Second downside are the budget interiors. They are strictly "okay" in terms of quality.
Attachment 2090235
Thank you, that is very revealing. On the ride quality, do you think it is as stiff as the Ecosport's? And to my knowledge, the Ecosport does not have side-to-side swaying.
Old 8th December 2020, 03:05   #707
RSR
Senior - BHPian

So the stiff ride quality and budget interiors are the two main downsides of the Magnite.

I can live with the okay-ish quality of the budget interiors, but the stiff ride quality is a downer. It's a pity as the Triber has pretty good ride quality.

The Magnite is shod with 195/60 R16 tyres. I wonder if changing them to 205/65 R15 (upsizing the tyre width but downsizing the wheel size) would help in improving the ride quality? Overall diameter would go up from 640.4 mm to 647.5 mm. GC would go up by 3 ~ 4 mm and one would get additional sidewall cushioning of 16.25 mm.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 12:30   #708
BHPian

This is indeed an ideal time for first time buyers to purchase a vehicle in the post pandemic era. The Magnite is extreme value for money proposition considering its variant wise price range, standard safety features and appealing looks to similarly priced hatchbacks.

Considering, its space, higher ground clearance; this is a worthy contender in urban areas. An affordable CVT, is recommended and I believe this should be a moderate sales success. A worthy contender to those considering a small to mid segment hatchback or even a second city car.
ciddharth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 16:41   #709

For the last throw of the dice in India, Nissan did well with the Magnite. Aggressive pricing along with the lure of a proper automatic in a sea of AMTs captured people's attention like no other product from their stable. Well done Nissan.
Now, if only you'd expand your sales and service network and provide seamless solutions for issues and niggles, you'd have a winner in your hands.
Maedhros is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:38   #710
BHPian

I hope Nissan have the personnel and the required expertise to handle a sudden surge in enquiries, test drives and bookings!. This is probably their first time ever with this kind of demand generation. They must ensure that they are not found wanting here!.

Word spreads very fast and even if two customers do not get a proper response or failed promises, enter social media in action!.

"That is why I told you not to go for Nissan, just buy Maruti or Hyundai even for a slightly higher cost, but have peace of mind"!.

Maruti and Hyundai can afford to have a couple of dissatisfied customers. They are the Virat and Rohit of the automobile industry and will not be dropped .

Nissan is still the Shreyas Iyer or Shubman Gill !.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:53   #711
Senior - BHPian

I had shown interest (over their website), and two times at that. Till date there has been zero response. A leopard cant be expected to change its spots, overnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
I hope Nissan have the personnel and the required expertise to handle a sudden surge in enquiries, test drives and bookings!. This is probably their first time ever with this kind of demand generation
Old 8th December 2020, 22:15   #712
BHPian

Had a look at the New Nissan Magnite today & here are my quick impressions.

First up, didn't click any pics as there are enough of them in almost all colors all over the net.

Let's get two important things first.

- LOOKS. The car looks great! This is surely one of the best looking sub-compact SUV's in the market right now. You see the car from any angle and it will surely impresses you.
However, the tires could have been a size bigger as the gap between the fenders is a bit too much. Nissan could have gone with the market standard of 215/60/R16 size. Would have surely helped things. Nonetheless, the car still is a looker.

- SPACE. This car packs in a lot of space. I am 6 feet tall and set the front seat to my driving position (which is a bit laid back) and I was able to COMFORTABLY sit in the rear with a good amount of legroom to spare. This car does impress you with the amount of space it offers. Kudos to Nissan for such excellent packaging.
With this kinda of room in the passenger area, the boot doesn't feel too left behind either. I found it just a tad smaller than the Sonet. But I think this should suffice 80-90 % of the customer requirements.
Damn, even that glovebox is huge!

- Now, the elephant in the room - BUILD QUALITY. As highlighted by fellow BHPians, the interior quality is budget-grade. Having said that, no way does it feel 'cheap'. I would infact say that it is in-line with the plastic quality that is being offered in the recent Maruti cars, especially the Swift. There are hard-touch plastics at majority of the places, but like I said, none of them feel cheap as such.
For one, I felt that the fabric on the doorpads is indeed nice to touch. The door too had a decent amount of weight to it along with a good 'thud' on closure. The bonnet too weighted quite well.
The panels didn't feel light or flimsy to say, but yeah they do flex at certain areas with a slight push.

- Engine noise is akin to 3-cylinder turbo-charged petrol motor and so are the vibrations. But, don't expect the finesse of the Koreans here; they are nowhere near to them.

- Seating position is nice and you do get a feeling of sitting in a raised hatch. I too had enough headroom to spare, both in the front as well as the rear.
The driving position is good enough and you get a good view of the road ahead.

- The seat are entirely fabric with leatherette accents on the sides. The seats offer good support and have decent bolstering too. I felt the thickness is in-line with those offered in Honda's, which isn't a bad thing.

- The Music system sounded decent and these were without the JBL speakers. I don't know how good they will be; but the speakers in stock form do a good job. Rear camera quality is average though.

- The touchscreen however, lags behind the current trend. It is nowhere in comparison to the silky smooth touchscreens seen in recent Korean competitors. This one's more in line with my 2015 Creta, albeit multicolored.

- I quite liked the MID in the Magnite. Some might find it too cartoonish, but I found it nice in person. The animations are seamless too.

- I got a chance to check the headlights of the car and I must say they're pretty powerful which is reminiscent of LED's. However, real world performance is yet to be heard of. Good thing is that, the Headlights, DRL's and the Fogs are all white light, unlike the once seen in other vehicles wherein the fogs are generally warm and look a bit out of place.

- Test drives to commence from 18th Dec 2020.

- There was only one car available in silver shade. I was keen to seen the white and the 'new' red shade. SA mentioned that their expecting them along with the Demo vehicle.

- Introductory prices applicable for bookings until 31st Dec 2020. Booking amount is 11k; fully refundable.

- Deliveries to commence from Jan 2020. No accurate dates yet. Waiting period unknown too.

Overall, quite impressed with this car and what Nissan is able to pull-off given the price at which it is offered. Can't wait to test drive the car given the fact that the reviews are quite positive especially for the CVT variant.

I truly hope that this proves to be a comeback car for Nissan India!

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 8th December 2020 at 22:21.
ashvek3141 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 22:40   #713
BHPian

Ah! So the test drives have not commenced yet!. Somehow I was under the impression that test drives are available. So that probably explains why they have not yet got back to those who have shown interest. I too expressed interest on the Nissan Connect app and got the message " Our representative will get back to you shortly".

So we can expect responses to gather pace in the coming days. We got ahead of them .

Price, space, features always set the ball rolling in India .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:14   #714
BHPian

I really hope this does not go the Skoda Rapid way for Nissan. They have generated a lot of interest and the product is positioned in one of the hottest segments in the market. There will always be some shortcomings but I really doubt Nissan could have played this any better. Someone’s been doing great research at the company and understands gaps and the opportunities really well.
2021 might well be the comeback year for Nissan in India. They just need to have few more launches and make sure they are not labelled as a one trick pony. But for the time being, kudos to them. Credit where it’s due!
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 23:32   #715

Booked Magnite base version today.

I was not even looking to buy a new car, was thinking of buying a used car upto the budget of 2-3L as my first car. Then few days ago a Magnite review popped up on my Youtube (as I've been searching about cars recently) and the features and pricing drove me in. So instead of examining n number of used vehicles in the pandemic or paying a hefty profit margin or cars24 and buying a 5-6+ yrs old used hatchback for 3+ lakhs I may go for this. If the engine feels too weak or there are serious vibration issues or the delivery date drags too long (March/April would be too late for my needs) I may cancel otherwise seems like a good car and really good value for money.
manu0504 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 02:04   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
- Deliveries to commence from Jan 2020. No accurate dates yet. Waiting period unknown too.
I heard deliveries to start before Dec 31. I am not sure actual deliveries or despatch from factory. If that's the case, you will be getting a 2020 manufactured car in 2021.
Old 9th December 2020, 08:28   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a do or die product for Nissan and going by the initial reports the product could break the Jinx for Nissan in India.

Quote:
Magnite bookings have crossed over 7200 units as per customer books till today.
Going by the trend of the bookings it might clock at least 18,000 units in December.

Already there are speculations amongst the automotive social media community called the ‘Nissan Magnite Club’ of its booking going beyond 30,000 units by December 31.

The Magnite deliveries will start from 1st of January -21 and the company is gearing to meet the high demand coming for the Magnite.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th December 2020 at 08:30.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:06   #718
BHPian

The overall vibe, pricing and value proposition seems to working for Nissan with this product. I know of 10-11 persons in my known circle who have either booked or visited the showroom with strong intent of buying this vehicle. Till now, have not heard anything negative apart from test drive vehicle not being available. I am myself tempted to look at Magnite now, given that I need to find a replacement for my 9 year old Vento 1.6 TDI in coming year, due to 10 year diesel engine rule in Delhi NCR. Though there is no diesel engine, Turbo petrol seems to be effecient going by reviews and official ARAI figures.
Turbo_anup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:40   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
The overall vibe, pricing and value proposition seems to working for Nissan with this product. I know of 10-11 persons in my known circle who have either booked or visited the showroom with strong intent of buying this vehicle. Till now, have not heard anything negative apart from test drive vehicle not being available. I am myself tempted to look at Magnite now, given that I need to find a replacement for my 9 year old Vento 1.6 TDI in coming year, due to 10 year diesel engine rule in Delhi NCR. Though there is no diesel engine, Turbo petrol seems to be effecient going by reviews and official ARAI figures.
You have continued running it for 9 years will continue till 10 as well it seems. Don't you the value would have tanked considerably in last 3 years. Or any idea of when did it really tank. I have owned a Rapid with same mill under the hood and drove for 6+ years with 1.2lac kms it was sold for under 3 lacs.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:53   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu0504 View Post
Booked Magnite base version today.

If the engine feels too weak or there are serious vibration issues or the delivery date drags too long (March/April would be too late for my needs) I may cancel otherwise seems like a good car and really good value for money.
First of all Congratulations for the booking of your new car! As an owner of Renault Triber since the last 1 year, I can assuredly say that when this car can haul 7 people and luggage in the hills, it's surely not going to be very slow in a 5 seater vehicle (read base model of Magnite which has the same engine with the same specifications as in the Triber).

Do check out my ownership review (Ownership Review of my Renault Triber RXZ (Electric Blue)) and travelogue (Lahaul Valley - Our maiden innings in the land of Sun, Sand and Snow) on our recent trip to Lahaul valley to boost up your confidence.

Enjoy your purchase decision, and do not let others spoil it for you by asking you to consider something else if it fits your budget and purpose completely!!
AdityaDeane is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks