Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:53   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite launched at Rs. 4.99 lakh

Excellent pricing by Nissan. They surely are going for one final blow and throwing everything at it

If this doesn’t sell, I don’t know what will. Hopefully market responds positively and others are forced to do some price correction. They should market this heavily and get the Dealerships ready for the upcoming footfalls. A 100bhp CVT with all possible features and some more for the segment. My pick would have been the top end CVT, if I was in market for a subcompact crossover. All the best Nissan
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:14   #542
BHPian

Re: Nissan Magnite Review

the pricing is finally fair for a new product!

Some of the recent launches by other brands had me wondering why cars are so expensive.

Now for the real world test, sales and service.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:15   #543
BHPian

Disruptive pricing, like everyone here has already mentioned. It is sure to drive showroom walk-ins, across their albeit limited dealer network.

But what I really cannot understand is, why now? Why couldn't they have announced the prices few weeks ago at least to catch the festive demand? In addition to just unveiling the car last month, they should have announced these prices as well. At 4.99 for the base variant, it is sure to pull traffic from other segments as well.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:15   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But doesn't the Brezza also have spartan interiors? I've seen many videos of the Magnite, and i think it has better interiors than the Brezza. It also has a turbo engine, and I think the Brezza has a NA 1.5 engine.
Of course - the Magnite is also well appointed in general. Wireless CarPlay/AndroidAuto and standard rear wash+wipe are top picks for me. If I was looking - I'd consider the Magnite. I always bet on the underdogs in fact . My point is - thats not how our market works. Look at the top sellers for last 20 years and you'll get my point.

And its not necessary that the 1.0 Turbo engine is better because it is turbo charged. All engines in this segment are rather potent & the Maruti 1.5 certainly is one of the better ones overall.

The interiors while good on feature list - have been regularly pointed out to be with economy grade / imperfect material & fixture. Longevity is questioned by most reviewers (even the neutral ones). So it has its own flaws. Yet - if people keep the price in context - they might be acceptable.

Nissan has certainly made an attempt to play the price card. I'm only doubting whether our market will actually show the returns that they must be hoping with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
There is a huge price difference between top variant Magnite CVT and top variant Brezza (4 speed)AT. Even the top variant manuals also have more than 1 lakh difference in price.
Of course. My point is - the undercutting price won't do it all for the Magnite. Tata has tasted this for 20 years. Consistently their cars have had more features and more value for money. Always undercutting the competition. Did it help them? Never.
Tata is enjoying their highest sales numbers when in fact their cars are costlier than competition in almost all segments. Not undercutting Maruti much.

We have an interesting dynamic of customer approach. People don't get swayed by pricing alone. 1 Lakh INR is somewhere around INR 3000 in EMI terms. Will people pick a more established brand with proven credentials + easily accessible service network? Sales trends seem to show so. Aspirational value / Brand image play a big role in our market too. People don't mind paying more just to show they didn't buy a "cheap car".

Last edited by Reinhard : 2nd December 2020 at 14:29.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:22   #545
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Nissan have simply hit it out of the park with the pricing!

Half-a-million to less-than-a-million rupees ex-showroom! This is just what the doctor ordered for the revival of Nissan India from what seemed to be its deathbed. We already had a few proclaiming that Nissan are ready to pack their bags and leave India (like Chevrolet & Fiat). Rakesh Srivastava's simple response to them is, "Nissan are in India for the long run, as you will find out soon!"

All three powertrain options are likely to be hits. The quick review mentions that the addition of a turbo has completely transformed the lackluster 1.0 NA engine. And the CVT has been mated brilliantly to the 1.0 turbo-petrol!

100 PS is quite good for a car that weighs 1000 - 1039 kg. The 122 PS of EcoSport, 120 PS of Sonet/Venue & Nexon, 110 PS of XUV300 and 105 PS of Vitara Brezza/Urban Cruiser may be higher, but all those cars are also heavier by a fair margin. With 100 metric horses from its turbo-petrol, the Magnite is also more powerful than the 90 PS WR-V!

It's the 72 PS naturally aspirated variant that starts at a kerb weight of 939 kg. Contrary to others' belief, I see good sales for this powertrain as well. Remember, with this powertrain, Nissan are selling a 4 m compact SUV for the price of a micro-SUV like the Ignis, KUV100 & Freestyle! Even in terms of performance, the 72 PS 3-pot 1.0 NA Magnite is likely to be quite similar to the 83 PS 3-pot 1.2 NA KUV100. So, I'm not complaining.

In fact, it's micro-SUVs like Ignis, KUV100 & Freestyle that are going to lose the most sales to Magnite (& its Renault cousin, Kiger). Why settle for a micro-SUV when one can get a stylish, bigger 4 m compact SUV like the Magnite (& soon Kiger) for the same price???

Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra and Ford should be very, very worried about their micro-SUV brigade with this ferocious onslaught from the Renault-Nissan Alliance. The trio already sell only in mediocre numbers. Renault-Nissan may have just sounded the death knell of the micro-SUV segment in India.

Last edited by RSR : 2nd December 2020 at 14:50.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:26   #546
BHPian

If they are careful with marketing and aftersales experience, this car can single handedly revive fortunes(Atleast to keep presence in the market) for Nissan India, like Kwid did for Renault.
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:46   #547
BHPian

Earth shattering prices!. To be honest, these are the fair prices in this segment.

Some of the atrocious pricing of the others around make us feel fair prices are cheap!.

I always look at the on road price of the top variant (XV Premium CVT) and this should be around 11.5 to 12 lakhs (in Bangalore)?. It is mouth watering!.

Nissan cars are SUPER reliable . The biggest concern was their lean dealer and service network. Now that they have opened up a few more, those boxes are checked. Still, if interested people do not find a dealer around, just go to their website and book a test drive from there after filling in the details. They respond quickly and route the request appropriately .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 14:57   #548
Senior - BHPian

If Nissan is able to price base model at 4.99l I believe Renault has every reason to price Kiger at 4.49l. Aren't they basically the same cars?
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:37   #549
BHPian

Wow! The prices are absolutely commendable. 80K premium for CVT and 1Lac for turbocharged one is completely justified and fair.
The car is not polarising in looks in any way and is to everyone's appeal, the engine options are decent enough for this chassis, encouraging gearbox options also available. Kudos to Nissan for that
The only thing left for them is to improve their Dealership Quality and Network and ofcourse marketing will play a crucial role for Magnite's (as well as Nissan's) future.
Rambo-RS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:39   #550
BANNED

Whoa! Nissan is practically giving away Magnites for free. Top-end CVT at just 9.35 L? And, with host of features thrown in? In comparison, competitors' prices look like daylight robbery, as shown at post # 14.

Hope Nissan gets a second wind they so deserve. An SUV at the price of a hatchback will definitely strike a chord with us Indians. I heard new dealerships are being readied in unrepresented areas. The existing one closed in my town before covid but a new one is opening up soon.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:57   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

When was the last time we saw a top end auto sub-4m compact "SUV" at less than 10 lakhs ex-showroom?

This is truly disruptive! But again, desperate times need desperate measures.

They should stick with this "introductory" pricing at least till Mar-21. That would give the market enough time to warm up to the car. First, they don't have a wide enough sales or service network, so the reach is limited. Second, given it's Nissan, there will be a lot of fence sitters. And 1 month is too short a time to convert them.
Dry Ice is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:01   #552
BHPian

Just wow pricing. This might be redefining rules of competition with a game-changing 'pricing'. Nissan is showing its intent for the Indian market. I am not worried so much about the lack of NCAP score/ structural solidity here as much as the dealership woes and indifferent ASS network.
For me, Nissan's bottleneck might have moved down from the top of the bottle to the bottom (Dealers and ASS). Can they do an MS thing here? Fingers crossed.
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:09   #553
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is Spot On but like a few others have called out - the Introductory pricing should be retained until 31-Mar-2021 to ensure people get sufficient time.

While the Turbo Pricing with the CVT is excellent, the lack of an automatic in the lower band could have been augmented by providing an AMT option with the NA engine. That would have really taken the challenge to the Ignis/Tiago/i10 segment big time.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:10   #554
BHPian

That's commendable pricing from the Magnite Product team at Nissan!

Even once the introductory period is over after Dec 31st, prices starting 5.54 L INR does not look too bad provided they are still able to keep their XV Premium CVT Turbo under 10L bracket as many cities/towns that Nissan is currently is present in faces this "additional tax for above 10L" issue.

The last time I saw a similar VFM product was in 2013 for Ford Ecosport and then it was the Skoda Rapid Rider/Rider+ this year.

Now its upto the dealers to handle the footfalls and ensure the potential customers are treated the way they should be and get timely test drive vehicles and provide good ownership experiences because this is probably their last chance to survive in India.

Last edited by srinath34 : 2nd December 2020 at 16:13.
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:11   #555
BHPian

Hey,
I'm planning on replacing my mom's Santro Xing. Confused between this car and the Vitara Brezza. (Primarily for the city).
Which one would be better according to you guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks