Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2023, 19:33   #4351
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Calling out all the Convertible Top owners. I am in a dilemma. I wish to get Thar diesel automatic 4X4 as my second vehicle. My first vehicle is three years old and in good condition. We do a few long drives (2000 kms to and fro) long drives. If I get Thar, I would like to do those long drives on Thar too.
This being my second vehicle, I wish to get Convertible Top in White color. My query is to the Convertible Top owners, how easy or difficult is to travel long distances on a Convertible Top? Is the noise too intrusive. Any other concerns that I should be aware of before taking a decision?

Thanks.
I use my covertible top to go to Konkan very frequently, I am too using THAR as my second car and hence got the convertible one, may be initially you will feel the plastic transparent sheets flapping on the body cage, but that was solved by having a seat belt cushion and that noise is nearly gone now, other than that no issues. Hope this helps with your decision making. Wishing you happy miles in advance.
jayeshdamle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 20:28   #4352
BHPian

After having driven my hardtop 2021 thar for over 45K kms, I really started to feel the itch for getting a soft top installed. If I were given a chance to opt for hard top or a soft top now, I would have definitely gone with a ST version for my Thar. After all, who doesn't want to have the freedom of air on the head while driving a proper off roader, especially during those trips to hilly terrains!

I wish M&M gives a convertible hard top version as an accessory!
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 21:38   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
After having driven my hardtop 2021 thar for over 45K kms, I really started to feel the itch for getting a soft top installed. If I were given a chance to opt for hard top or a soft top now, I would have definitely gone with a ST version for my Thar. After all, who doesn't want to have the freedom of air on the head while driving a proper off roader, especially during those trips to hilly terrains!

“Feel the itch” perfectly sums up my buddies who have hard tops and wish they had ST instead.

I feel hard top makes sense for those who drive a lot of highway miles with average speeds over 70 kmph. However, if the Thar is your 2nd or 3rd car and is predominantly driven in the city and you are a weekend off-road or mountain enthusiast, ST is absolutely the way to go. If the flapping plastic windows noise bothers you, spend on a good audio setup with a woofer and you’re all set.

Good luck with your ST conversion, if you decide to go through with it.

Last edited by Cavityavenger : 8th May 2023 at 21:38. Reason: Spelling error
Cavityavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 00:41   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
I use my covertible top to go to Konkan very frequently, I am too using THAR as my second car and hence got the convertible one, may be initially you will feel the plastic transparent sheets flapping on the body cage, but that was solved by having a seat belt cushion and that noise is nearly gone now, other than that no issues. Hope this helps with your decision making. Wishing you happy miles in advance.
I also have the same jugaad (credit to another Thar owner for posting that in initial thread) and easily do 100kmph on ORR in Hyderabad. I have done multiple 10-12 hours drives without any issue.
I am using Thar as my primary car and clocked 14k+ kms in last 1 year
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5401.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5400.jpeg  

yadavsid21 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 03:55   #4355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadavsid21 View Post
I also have the same jugaad (credit to another Thar owner for posting that in initial thread) and easily do 100kmph on ORR in Hyderabad.

What a coincidence! Even I have the exact same setup on my Thar. This should be included as standard accessorie for the convertible top variant.
Mr.U is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 05:54   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Can someone please share the Kerb Weight of all the Thar Variants?
Petrol 4x4 Hardtop is 1735kgs
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 07:12   #4357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Can someone please share the Kerb Weight of all the Thar Variants?
Petrol 4x4 Hardtop is 1735kgs
Diesel AT HT stands at 1800 kgs(as per RC). I'm not sure if there's a mention of kerb weight in the Mahindra manual.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 08:34   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post

+100 to that

There were some spy shots that suggested the company was working on something of the sort, but it never came to fruition

I am surprised that none of the after-market shops offer such an option either. I know Bimbra 4x4 provides a load-bearing hard top option, but nothing for the folks who would want to dismantle it real quick and stow it away.

Does sound like that would have a lot of takers, since it would provide the best of both worlds!
udainxs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 08:44   #4359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
+100 to that

Does sound like that would have a lot of takers, since it would provide the best of both worlds!
It would need a lot of effort and investment in research. And it will require investment in moulds and such. They have to give a rear wiper and provision for wires and water hoses and wiper motor and washer tank too has to be built into the hard top.
There is a whole thread on what the ideal things are, which we would like in our vehicles and this is right there. There is a company called Bestop in Anerica which does this after market for the Wrangler.
Old 9th May 2023, 12:35   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Something strange happened today with my D AT. I drove around 12 kms, parked under a tree. Then left in my friends car and came back after two plus hours. Drove my car another 5-7 kms and a strange smell came. I switched off the AC to check if it's coming from AC vents. Felt far better and continue to drive. Then smoke started coming lightly from drive area right behind the steering column and kind of panicked. Stopped the car immediately and checked. Opened the bonnet and found that a part heavily heat protected and a metal pipe next to it showing some kind of heat and burn marks. Since it's new car with around 380+ kms on odo there was a ribbon tied and removed it just in case as it was also showing burn or smoke marks i.e. blackened. Parked the car on side of the road nearby my house and locked it. Took an autorickshaw and reached home. Any idea what happened is nothing alarming? Because the service personnel from Mahindra says nothing to be worried. But asked them to come and have a look before I drive. If experts can share your thoughts that would be great. I have some photos and I'll share little later. Thanks in advance. Btw what's the RSA number for Mahindra please. Just in case.
I am also from Pondicherry and would be happy to help you in any possible way. PM me
crazyjeeperk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 11:37   #4361
Distinguished - BHPian

My Mahindra Thar Petrol LX AT 4x4 HT

After following this thread for a long time, and closely seeing the off-roading adventures of some of my close friends who own a Thar, I decided to buy a Thar for myself. Thanks a lot to my close friend @robimahanta for both inspiration to buy a Thar and for helping with the booking and the purchase process.

This thread has an immense amount of knowledge, and thanks to everyone here for helping me learn about this car. Although I have been reading this thread all the time, this is my first post here, and from now on, hoping to contribute here.

I booked my Thar on April 15, 2023, and took delivery yesterday, on May 09, 2023. I got the Thar faster than I expected. I got the car from Sireesh Auto, near Silk Board in Bangalore. The whole experience with Sireesh Auto, right from test drives to booking, then to PDI, payment and delivery, was absolutely fantastic! Everything went smooth and pleasant. I am really impressed by the attitude of the staff there, they were both professional and polite. Overall, this was one of the smoothest car buying experiences for me.

I know these are very early days, but so far, totally impressed by Mahindra sales team. I would give them 10 out of 10!

By the way, my Thar is manufactured in April 2023, and is a BS6.2 compliant vehicle.

Regarding the car, there is nothing much I can add here. This thread has everything covered. Besides, I did not even get a chance to drive that car yet, apart from bringing it home last night from the dealership. And of course, did not get a chance to take any photos yet.

Sharing just a couple of pictures of my Thar from the delivery time.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar1.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar2.jpg

Choosing the color: I always loved the Mystic Copper shade that the Thar had. I used to tell my friends that if I ever buy a Thar, that would be my choice. But unfortunately that color got discontinued already, and it was not available for me. I usually like red cars, but I did not want a red Thar only because I already have a red car (my red BMW 320d) and I did not want to own two red cars at the same time. So just to get a different look from my other red car, I decided to choose Napoli Black for the Thar. But to be honest, this was never my first choice of color for Thar. That first choice of color was always Mystic Copper.

This Thar will now accompany my BMW 320d and Maruti SX4 in my garage. I am quite happy with my garage now. BMW 320d is a great car for highway drives and the corner craving fun, and Thar will complement that with its off-roading abilities and abilities to reach those remote locations and hilly viewpoints where the BMW might require a bit of an extra care. I plan to use both the cars to the fullest, and hoping to sharing more Thar stories soon.

That is all for now. Will keep sharing updates when I get a chance to actually use the Thar for its intended purposes.

Once again thanks to everyone here for sharing so much of valuable information and their experiences! Those are very valuable for a new buyer like me!

Last edited by Dr.AD : 10th May 2023 at 11:45.
Dr.AD is online now   (99) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:55   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
[h3]
I booked my Thar on April 15, 2023, and took delivery yesterday, on May 09, 2023
Congratulations!

It seems it was your vehicle we were admiring in the Delivery Bay, when we visited Sireesh Auto this past Sunday

Had gone to test drive the Diesel AT, after confirming, only to find the vehicle wasnt available after reaching

Wish you many many happy miles in this mean-machine!
udainxs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 21:20   #4363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Congratulations!

It seems it was your vehicle we were admiring in the Delivery Bay, when we visited Sireesh Auto this past Sunday

Had gone to test drive the Diesel AT, after confirming, only to find the vehicle wasnt available after reaching

Wish you many many happy miles in this mean-machine!
Thank you very much!

I had not test driven Diesel AT either. I had test driven Diesel MT and Petrol AT before booking my car. For some reasons these combinations seem more easily available for test drives.
Dr.AD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 00:39   #4364
udy
BHPian

Guys, need suggestions on ICE upgrade for my Thar. It's a Diesel Convertible Top and I am considering the following after a good amount of research and read including this thread. ICE experts please do suggest if this is good or if anything can be bettered.

Looking for a pure SQ set up and retaining the OEM Head Unit. Also want minimal adjustments to the existing stock speaker space and avoid any extra drilling.

JL Audio C2 650 components for the front speakers
JL Audio C1 650 Components for the roof speakers
JL Audio 10' Enclosed Subwoofer in the boot
Cerwin Vega 1200.4D 4 channel amp for the components
Cerwin Vega XED 300.1 mono amp for the sub
Nakamichi 6 or 8 channel DSP

Have almost finalized on the above except for the Amplifiers and looking forward to any suggestions to add on to or improve this set up.

I was initially considering JL Audio JD400/4 and a Vibe/Statsom mono or a JL Audio RD900/5 single 5 channel amp to drive all the speakers, but someone with good knowledge has partially convinced me that the Cerwin Vega amps are equally good for the price paid. Open to any suggestions if things can be done better here.

Don't want to go for a full audiophile set up as it is a Thar and considering the speaker placements etc, and most importantly since mine is a Convertible Top, the outside noise is inevitable. Don't want to use damping as the doors don't have any speakers.

Last edited by udy : 11th May 2023 at 00:41.
udy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 10:19   #4365
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Calling out all the Convertible Top owners. I am in a dilemma. I wish to get Thar diesel automatic 4X4 as my second vehicle. My first vehicle is three years old and in good condition. We do a few long drives (2000 kms to and fro) long drives. If I get Thar, I would like to do those long drives on Thar too.
This being my second vehicle, I wish to get Convertible Top in White color. My query is to the Convertible Top owners, how easy or difficult is to travel long distances on a Convertible Top? Is the noise too intrusive. Any other concerns that I should be aware of before taking a decision?

Thanks.
Hi Sahil624.. Cannot send you a DM in response to your question as your inbox is full. So posting it here as it might help others too with similar queries.

The Convertible Top does get nosier over 100 kmph speeds, but it certainly is not a deal breaker as you can live with it. This is my wife's daily driver and we do long drives of 6 to 8 hours every other day with constant speeds of over 100 Kmph and we surely are good with it.

There is a small Jugaad as suggested by some of the members here where you can use the Seal Belt Cushion on the folding rods of the top to reduce/stop the noise. I have just ordered that and will let you know how it goes.

But honestly, there is nothing that I would give up for the joy of driving it Top Down which we do very frequently and that overrules everything else. If it is a second car, go in for it without any hesitation as you will love the top down fun. Let me know if you or anyone would like to know anything else about Convertible Top.. Would be glad to help out
udy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks