Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 10:59   #1441
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
..........A ray of hope to everyone in the long-pending queue. The infotainment systems are arriving and dealers are busy with the deliveries. There were two other deliveries happening along with mine and the backyard had closer to 15 Thars awaiting delivery including a petrol manual transmission unit.

Here is a picture of her in front of the Vidhana Soudha.

Attachment 2137286
Hey Many congratulations and Happy Miles to you.

Got a question for you if you can please help. In this forum previously someone had mentioned that the front sensors are very noisy and standalone unit which is not integrated with the HU. Can you please throw some light on this. Thanks

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th March 2021 at 19:27. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th March 2021, 11:04   #1442
VRJ
BHPian

My booking saga continues with Neon Motors in Vizag. Quick question to the BHP’ians who are expecting delivery in March and April, did any of you book the AUTOMATIC variant? Be it diesel or petrol. Neon Motors claims there’s no information when the automatics might arrive. M&M isn’t dispatching any automatics. Following was my series of events:

Oct: Booking, expected delivery was December. Huge influx of orders and supply constraints, so I’d understand a delay. The SA told me January.

Jan: Dead silence from the SA. After multiple calls, he said Feb for sure.

Feb: Called him in the first week, he said I’ll let you know, but I’ll give it to you in Feb. He calls me back (first time he called and it has always been me calling them), so I was naturally excited and he told me allocation has happened. Waiting for the car to ship to Vizag. March 1st week pakka. He asked to prepare our finances and be ready.

March: Again silence. Another call in the first week and the SA and the GM tells me now they have no clue. Automatics are just not coming. Maybe April. Who knows.

Just give me a damn date . I told them there are plenty of automatics on Team-BHP and YouTube, how can you tell me M&M isn’t dispatching automatics? Then why did you tell me allocation has been done and we’re waiting for transportation? Ridiculous planning by M&M.

I have nothing against Neon Motors. They have been very courteous, professional and patient while listening to my rants. Why isn’t M&M dispatching Automatics? I thought the delay was about infotainment units. Does the AT also have supply constraints? Thank you!

Last edited by VRJ : 28th March 2021 at 11:08.
Old 28th March 2021, 11:13   #1443
Senior - BHPian

VRJ - The Automatics did see delays, but that was around the November/December times.
I am expecting delivery of the AT/HT tomorrow. I booked in October too.

If you were told that 'Allotment' has happened, this means, the dealer has your VIN number.

I suspect that the delay is because of the infotainment and not the gear box.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 19:22   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a slow and painful wait of 6 months, I finally have taken the delivery of my Thar
Congratulations! It looks smashing. Wish you many happy miles on it.

Quote:
[*]Front parking sensors[*]Rearview Camera[*]Radiator protection guard
I'm a tad disappointed in Mahindra for not providing these 3 as standard fitment in a ~17 lac off-road-biased car.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th March 2021 at 19:30.
Old 28th March 2021, 20:05   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
My booking saga continues with Neon Motors in Vizag. Quick question to the BHP’ians who are expecting delivery in March and April, did any of you book the AUTOMATIC variant? Be it diesel or petrol. Neon Motors claims there’s no information when the automatics might arrive. M&M isn’t dispatching any automatics. Following was my series of events:

Oct: Booking, expected delivery was December.
Surely AT has had maximum delays and also because AT seems to have maximum bookings. But I doubt your dealer gave you the right picture, because for my booking on 10th Oct, my CPD from day 1 was March 27th, although that been moving and is now around 20th April or so. But my dealer never gave a Dec date, so not sure how in your case they promised Dec.

Hope you get yours soon. It has been frustrating surely with lack of transparency but offlate both dealers and Mahindra have started to up the communication and that has been appreciative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

I'm a tad disappointed in Mahindra for not providing these 3 as standard fitment in a ~17 lac off-road-biased car.
Just a random thought:
I personally think Mahindra has deliberately not given few things as standard in Thar, primarily to keep the modifiers (big names in the market now) happy. You have modifers like Bimbra and Prad among others who play a big role in making Thar a success and may be Mahindra wanted that option open to keep the mod friendly Thar in the news.
There are a few mods that Prad is making for Thar that are officially listed on the website.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:18   #1446
Senior - BHPian

All - After months and months of waiting, I finally managed to take delivery of my Black Gangster this evening. The process from the dealer was super pleasant and smooth.

I’ll share more details soon, but for now, I can’t express how happy I feel to be driving the Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3f823332dece4e1f84f9be7808517388.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d5473223ed974be0b5857e364f386c10.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:28   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Congratulations - Patience gets us results indeed

Now all you need to do is - Tank up and just drive. I envy you and you`re going to get lots of attention on the road, get used to it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:54   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
All - After months and months of waiting, I finally managed to take delivery of my Black Gangster this evening. The process from the dealer was super pleasant and smooth.

I’ll share more details soon, but for now, I can’t express how happy I feel to be driving the Thar.
Congrats bro, tons of ceetee and taali, how patiently you have waited for your gangster.

Let's see you out in the open enjoying your beast.

Regards
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 21:55   #1449
BHPian

Quote:

Many many congratulations sir. This is great news. It has taken a lot more patience and frustrating wait to be fulfilled but as they say, all is well that ends well.

Look forward to great stories in the coming weeks, months and years. And ofcourse your experience with the mods.

Till then enjoy every bit of ownership and forever.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:40   #1450
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1.jpeg
Picture of reflection of water pooled in the Canopy of the Thar

Not an Issue as there was no leakage inside.
The only issue is if the vehicle is parked on a uneven surface, expect water to fall on you when you step on the side step.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2.jpeg

I got lucky and didn't get drenched. The vehicle however got drenched the min it moved. So make sure to move the vehicle before washing and drying it
slicvic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 18:57   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Picture of reflection of water pooled in the Canopy of the Thar
This is a given for any soft-top vehicle. My Gypsy had the same "feature" Part of the "jeep experience"
cool_dube is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:04   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
^ Congratulations - Patience gets us results indeed

Now all you need to do is - Tank up and just drive. I envy you and you`re going to get lots of attention on the road, get used to it.
Thank you Kosfactor. The dealer gave 8 litres of diesel free. I tanked up and have done about 200 KMs since I took the car with me. I am getting used to the car and my wife is getting used to as well. She will probably drive this a lot more than I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Congrats bro, tons of ceetee and taali, how patiently you have waited for your gangster.

Let's see you out in the open enjoying your beast.
Thanks Vinod. I am already enjoying, and its getting difficult to halt and switch off and walk away. Its just been a mode where I don't want to stop driving the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Many many congratulations sir. This is great news. It has taken a lot more patience and frustrating wait to be fulfilled but as they say, all is well that ends well.

Look forward to great stories in the coming weeks, months and years. And ofcourse your experience with the mods.

Till then enjoy every bit of ownership and forever.
Thanks JW. It was a good end to the patient wait. The dealer kind of made up for it with the way they organised the delivery. Their entire staff had come to flag us off. This was beyond the picture they printed of us cutting the cake, the two small plant pots they gave us as take aways, and other picture moments. I look forward to your delivery day coming very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSatvik View Post
Congrats!!! Wishing good rides with the black lord!!
Thank you AutoSatvik. Lord indeed, once you are at the wheels. Lovely feeling.

Having done about ~200 KM thus far, below is what I 'Feel'
First impressions:-

a) The Self Confidence/Feel of Power:
You sit inside, and no doubt, you feel like the king. The view of the road and the way you look outside is a great feeling. You get more confident and comfortable to drive
b) The Attention:
The wife sat in, all smiles. Its very hard to wipe away the smile. You feel like everyone and their neighbors are watching you.
c) The Seat:
I am coming from my Crysta perspective. I really would have loved for a slight 'Broader' seat and a slightly better 'Thigh Support' for the front.
d) The Brakes:
Again, from my Crysta comparison, I had to get used to the Thar Brakes. I am slowly getting used to braking early
e) The Ride:
I don't even want to compart my rides with Crysta with this.
What more can I say beyond all that has already been said. Well - it isn't that bad. On smooth tarmac, it is good. You do feel the slightest of undulations on the road too. On bad or non-existent roads, the person sitting behind will curse you. Regardless, this isn't something that we don't know and I am conscious that I plonked in my money fully knowing this.
f) Mileage:
Definitely better than my Crysta. For the distance driven so far, the MID shows a mileage of 11.9 KM/Ltr.
g) Steering:
Slightly harder than what I am used to in the Crysta. But, I do love the way you can hold this Thar steering.
h) Doors:
My muscle memory is used to the way I shut my Crysta. That apparently is not adequate, and I have now learnt that it needs just that additional push to shut it properly. I actually quite like it. The doors open in 2 stages and opens real wide, and the three of us in the family who took turns to sit in the rear seat did not face any issue in getting in and out.

The smaller, yet noticeable ones would be - The horn pads are a little hard to press. I am not someone who uses the horn frequently, but I did realize that it takes some bit of pressure to get it. Its a question of getting used to.

The dead pedal is a miss. Sorely missing. I so wish it was there. Unlike many other views here, I never felt the footwell to be too narrow. Its quite adequate. I am 5'11" and I am totally ok with the space there.

There was a connector lying in the footwell, and a stainless steel M2/M3 size nut and bolt in the boot. I saw those only after coming home and I worry if those were left behind as excess or missed closing something or forgotten to be cleaned up.

What I haven't been able to do is to use the Apply Car Play. It continues to be greyed out on the infotainment screens and I am reading the manual/educating myself on how to get this done. I am missing something basic.

Two big reliefs for me - I must say this here. The moment we started driving, I was looking for Wheel Alignment / Steering. The Thar points straight and Drives straight. No pulling to the left or the right.

Rattles - NONE. Like, none. I didn't expect this at all. I have done a fair bit of driving on bad roads as well, and I still don't hear the rattles. Love it and I hope it continues to be this way.

So two big for the steering and the zero rattles.

I definitely owe back an ownership report to this group and the larger friends at tbhp and I promise to do so, the moment I finish my first check service at 1000 KM.

Mods Planned this Sunday:
Have been in tough with Vin4X4 at Bangalore for the following and I have scheduled the work for the coming sunday
1. The grille
2. The driver Dead Pedal
3. Front Arm Rests
4. Rear Arm Rests

More details follows as appropriate. I will start the ownership report by the mid-April. The first 1000 KM looks rather loooong.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 30th March 2021 at 19:11. Reason: Formatting
jkrishnakj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 19:12   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having done about ~200 KM thus far, below is what I 'Feel'
Many congratulations! Your Thar looks lovely, black being my favorite color on the jeep. Wishing you many happy and niggle-free miles

Quote:
1. The grille
2. The driver Dead Pedal
Particularly interested in the above 2 items. Please share pics and details, when you can.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 21:09   #1454
BHPian

Congrats jkrishna

Wishing you many wonderful times ahead.Your mods are necessary. Hopefully I’ll be getting the delivery tomorrow after today again they said they won’t be able to deliver but said yes at last.

Will keep you guys updated.
braveheart_77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 21:28   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Good news Braveheart. Good luck for your delivery already. Wishing you the bests and look forward. You’ll forget all the wait times once you crank up the engine and get rolling. For sure!
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks