Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2021, 16:22   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I also read the also article. My Thar falls in this category but I am yet to get any call so far.
maybe your dealer doesn't have necessary staff if there are absentees being covid and all, to attend to recalls over and above the usual technicians dedicated to routine maintenance and servicing.
lurker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 17:30   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
maybe your dealer doesn't have necessary staff if there are absentees being covid and all, to attend to recalls over and above the usual technicians dedicated to routine maintenance and servicing.
What Covid? Where Covid? Haha

That cannot be the reason. A more probable reason would be unavailability of the required parts for the recall.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 23:32   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also read the also article. My Thar falls in this category but I am yet to get any call so far.
What happened last time there was a recall - a letter to your registered address with the necessary information and what action you need to take. A recall does not necessarily mean something will get replaced, it can be an inspection and replace if necessary advisory as well.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:20   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar received about 6000 bookings in January 2021.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210205161627_chrome.jpg

The waiting period is about 5 months, going up to 8 months on select trim. About 45% of the bookings are for the automatic variants.

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 20:09   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Checked up CPD today for an Oct 15 booking, was informed it is 30 Apr, 2021. So it seems semiconductor shortage has hit Mahindra hard and even Oct booking will now take 6 months instead of earlier promise of 4 months.
Old 5th February 2021, 20:20   #1161
Distinguished - BHPian

The dealer is getting the vehicle with a sticker 'For Infotainment', they have to fit it and then deliver to the customer. Considering these guys can remove the top half of an engine within minutes, I don't think its a problem.
Old 5th February 2021, 20:25   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Checked up CPD today for an Oct 15 booking, was informed it is 30 Apr, 2021. So it seems semiconductor shortage has hit Mahindra hard and even Oct booking will now take 6 months instead of earlier promise of 4 months.
I have booked a P HT LX M on 08.10.20 and the first CPD informed to me was 21.04.21, which come out to be almost 7.5 months.

So, Petrol HT M bookings have always had the longest waiting period IMO
pariyadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 10:32   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post

So, Petrol HT M bookings have always had the longest waiting period IMO
I'm in close contact with my sales executive for the delivery update (D HT MT) and he confirmed that P MT models are still under some RnD. In fact, some of the early bookings have been converted to D HT and are causing a further delay for D HT models.
Old 6th February 2021, 13:22   #1164
BHPian

Does anyone have more information on the speculated convertible hardtop? Im confused between the available hard and convertible tops and the convertible hard top would be the best compromise between the two (currently living in Dehradun). And also if anyone knows about any aftermarket solution for the same, that information will be very helpful is making a decision.

Many thanks.
Old 7th February 2021, 08:19   #1165
BHPian

I have cancelled my booking for diesel AT HT thar. I had booked the vehicle on 6th of October. I was closely following this thread and came to the conclusion that it is better to wait for the time being. Most of the vehicles delivered seem to visit the service centre for small annoyances or issues and to add to that now there is a recall. I don't know if nostalgia is allowed to kick so soon but after GTO's thread comparing Classic vs The new Thar, I am also developing a soft corner for the butch looks of the outgoing Thar.
Encyclopedic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 09:52   #1166
BHPian

So have experienced the first niggle in 1700 kms of driving now - driver side AC vent whistles at low volume. It’s more like a nagging beep as if the car is trying to alert something. Took me an hour to diagnose that it was the AC vent. Don’t think it’s a big issue but it’s irritating for sure

Also, I am looking for recommendations for paint protection, something that’s effective for trail rashes.
Old 7th February 2021, 12:38   #1167
BHPian

2020 Thar has received more than 39,000 bookings since October 2nd. In January 2021 alone, the SUV received 6,000 bookings. It is also being reported that the Thar is receiving around 200 to 250 bookings every day.

Source
Old 7th February 2021, 20:22   #1168
BHPian

Omg ! That is a very impressive show by Mahindra ! After the launch of Thar XUV300 sales shot up - same price bracket.
Some global competition even with hyped "10 YEAR waiting period" never received this kind of response, demand and numbers !

Now Maruti can have some pie from Thar sales if they introduce the petrol only JIMNY 5 door at sub 10 lakhs bracket , may even kill the BOLERO!

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 7th February 2021 at 20:29.
TorqueIndia is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 21:22   #1169
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

At the outset my apologies for the super delayed update.
Cutting the long story short after my booking as an early bird-dealer causing fiasco-shifted Expected Delivery date-my twitter & Telephonic war with dealer & Mahindra officials I finally got my LX Diesel Hard Top Copper delivered as an new year gift to self on 01 JAN 2021. It was a swift and nice affair at the dealership with a small puja organised by them. In Spite of the problem at the dealership end the way they handled it and arranged to get me a vehicle with a marginal delay of 10 days is appreciable. My initial promised delivery was on 15 December 2020 and my vehicle was billed and registered on 24 December 2020 though I took physical delivery on 01 Jan 2021.

Now coming to the vehicle as has been told by all previous owner it was super smooth-refined-better handling & light years ahead in all aspects of creature comfort etc and it was indeed so. Having driven small hatches to buses-heavy trucks & everything inbetween I was comfortable hustling the baby around right from the word go & enjoyed the first 800 odd kms trouble free & then Mr. Murphy struck his magic.

At 800 kms I booked for 1st service with my dealer (160 kms away from my home) and started from at 6 am to reach by 9 am do the service & start my journey from Bhubaneswar to Jammu the very next day. But just about 60 kms from home vehicle went into limp mode and didn't accelerate past 60kmph. No warning light on- Nothing. Checked error codes - No Code. Super frustrated called up the service advisor & he as expected requested to get the vehicle to workshop for diagnostic & repair. So poor me did last 100 dd kms at 60 kmph like a super law abiding citizen FRUSTRATING all other highway users all the way & reached the workshop.

Now the agony deepens further. On connecting the diagnostic computer it shows no fault and no recorded error codes. So they decide to do a manual DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) & check and starts idling the jeep but even after 30 odd minutes couldn't achieve the conditions to start the process. (Engine Coolant temp got settled at about 60 degree centigrade which requires to be at 80 odd degrees for the ECU to permit start the DPF Regeneration).

So after multiple failed attempt they raise the issue to the regional technical team at Kolkata and quickly it got escalated to the factory team at Nasik Plant. The service advisor used to take reading and send it to the plant team and after 2-3 hours plant team used to direct what to do , again take readings and send for further diagnosis. After 2 frustrating das they zeroed on to a faulty COOLANT TEMP SENSOR costing mere Rs.356/- and ten minute repair job. It was changed on 3rd day and took a 100 km test drive followed by readout of soot deposit value in the DPF & all was normal. So my 6 hr 1st service got extended to 3 days agony but was happy that it was handled swiftly and with alacrity with a promise to be the vehicle absolutely fault free for my onward journey of 2500 kms.

Now on some retrospect I remembered noticing the temperature gauge at about 1/4th bar on the console where as most of my other vehicles it stays somewhere at1/3 or half bar and had thought good heat management. Where as after replacement of the coolant temp sensor it stayed steady at almost half bar value. So I would urge all new Diesel Thar owners to keep a eye on the engine temperature bar. The temperature needs to be higher than a certain value for the DPF to be getting cleaned. In my case the faulty sensor was reporting lower value to the ECU and hence the automatic DPF cleaning didn't take place resulting in high soot deposition & the DPF getting clogged ultimately and vehicle getting on to LIMP mode.

But its all good post the incident. I have covered about 5000 kms so far & the vehicle is behaving absolutely niggle free and am surely enjoying the baby.

Have planned some modifications-additions-deletion to make it suit my exact requirement. Shall be starting a ownership thread soon so more there. Till then Happy Miles.

Again apologies for delayed update.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_000.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_001.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_002.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_003.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_004.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_005.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_006.jpeg
After the drive from Bhubaneswar to Jammu-Niggle free 2500+ Kms
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_007.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_008.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_010.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_011.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-file_012.jpeg
Notice the temp bar gauge...this should be the general position
techfreak is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 10:43   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At 800 kms I booked for 1st service with my dealer (160 kms away from my home) and started from at 6 am to reach by 9 am do the service & start my journey from Bhubaneswar to Jammu the very next day. But just about 60 kms from home vehicle went into limp mode and didn't accelerate past 60kmph. No warning light on- Nothing. Checked error codes - No Code. Super frustrated called up the service advisor & he as expected requested to get the vehicle to workshop for diagnostic & repair. So poor me did last 100 dd kms at 60 kmph like a super law abiding citizen FRUSTRATING all other highway users all the way & reached the workshop.

Now the agony deepens further. On connecting the diagnostic computer it shows no fault and no recorded error codes. So they decide to do a manual DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) & check and starts idling the jeep but even after 30 odd minutes couldn't achieve the conditions to start the process. (Engine Coolant temp got settled at about 60 degree centigrade which requires to be at 80 odd degrees for the ECU to permit start the DPF Regeneration).
Good to know that they finally sorted it out for you, but it could have been done faster without wasting 3 days your time.

It is a requirement that engine be at minimum operating temperature (80degC) for certain tests/operations done using the the diagnostics tool. When I did injector pilot quantity learning on my Crysta the software asked the engine to be brought to 80degC for the process to begin and since I was doing it on a cold engine it took some time with temp climbing up slowly but steadily from around 30degC (ambient) to 80degC and finally settling at around 86degC.

In your case if the temperature was not exceeding 60degC even after driving or idling for a lot of time the technical personnel at the dealership should have checked the coolant temp sensor. I do not know how the M&M shop manual asks to check the coolant sensor but for Toyota/Maruti the procedure is simple they ask to dip it in cold water and in hot water and the volt/resistance using a multimeter and cross check the readings for both cold and hot with the range given in shop manual. Or they could have just done it the easy way by swapping the sensor from another 2.2MHawk.

Quote:
Now on some retrospect I remembered noticing the temperature gauge at about 1/4th bar on the console where as most of my other vehicles it stays somewhere at1/3 or half bar and had thought good heat management. Where as after replacement of the coolant temp sensor it stayed steady at almost half bar value.
Although there were no codes the evidence was there in plain sight on the console even when diagnostics gave no codes. You may not have known why the temperature display on the console was staying low but the dealership techs should have caught it the first time or when the engine temp didn't come up beyond 60degC in the diagnostics tool. Under normal operating conditions the temperature needle or temperature display should always settle at the halfway mark, if its either below or above then there is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar received about 6000 bookings in January 2021.

The waiting period is about 5 months, going up to 8 months on select trim. About 45% of the bookings are for the automatic variants.
Blessing in disguise!
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks