Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2024, 11:22   #5296
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Trying to find a hella distributor/dealer in Bangalore for these. Any inputs will be welcome.
Nitin Automobiles, Prestige Automobiles, Manu etc. Bulbs, use original Philips please, I get those usually from Nitin, they stock all sorts of bulbs.

This is a common part used in many commercial vehicles, I think it should be easy to find in JC Road. I got my set through an auto electrician who had 2 pairs of them in his shop.

JC Road has an ML car parking, so you can also do any work there as well for a fee.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 13:25   #5297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Nitin Automobiles, Prestige Automobiles, Manu etc. Bulbs, use original Philips please, I get those usually from Nitin, they stock all sorts of bulbs.

This is a common part used in many commercial vehicles, I think it should be easy to find in JC Road. I got my set through an auto electrician who had 2 pairs of them in his shop.

JC Road has an ML car parking, so you can also do any work there as well for a fee.
Thank you.

I was thinking the GE 140/100 Hungary version if I can find it.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 10:26   #5298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
So the Thar Roxx (TeamBHP official review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...xx-review.html (Mahindra Thar Roxx Review)) has been launched with several desirable features (and some not-so-desirable ones) that are currently not available on the Thar.

Given that it’s been four years since the launch of Thar 2.0, it’s high time that Mahindra offered us version 2.1 with many of the same features that have now been made available on the Roxx. I have been waiting in vain, as is evident from the following quote from my post dated 16 August 2020 on this forum:
On balance, I'm giving a big thumb's up to Ms. Ramkripa Ananthan and her team for giving us the Thar 2.0, and will have absolutely no hesitation in putting my money where my mouth is by booking a Thar 2.1 (after the initial niggles have been sorted).
(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4865814 (The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86))

Much water has flown down the Sutlej since then, and my wish list has changed somewhat in view of the offerings on the Roxx.

Off-topic: automotive history buffs will recall that M&M was founded way back in 1945 as Mahindra & Mohammed, a steel trading company, in Ludhiana… which is situated on the old banks of the Sutlej river.
Off-off-topic: The founders of M&M were brothers Kailash Chandra Mahindra and Jagdish Chandra Mahindra (Anand Mahindra’s grandfather), along with Malik Ghulam Muhammad… who went on to become Pakistan’s first Finance Minister.

Coming back to the topic at hand, which features of the Roxx would you like to see on a refreshed Thar 2.1? Here’s my
Guys,

Us Petrolheada are not feature obsessed. We want a good machine, and lots of Power, no roof helps, a great audio system.

That's it.

There is only thing as A Thar owner, I want.

The powerful new Engines

That's it.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 11:32   #5299
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2646662
Remote fuel lid release and IntelliTurn Assist feature.
Since Thar 3D comes in soft top and convertible top, the age old fuel lid with key couldn't be scrapped that easily, I guess. It can be done on only hardtop variants, although Mahindra can do it. The reasoning behind providing the key lock on fuel lid stays same. Unless it is purely electronic and would do only with a key present, isn't that so?
ringsoftime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 12:37   #5300
BHPian

Quote:
Given that it’s been four years since the launch of Thar 2.0, it’s high time that Mahindra offered us version 2.1 with many of the same features that have now been made available on the Roxx.

... ... ...

which features of the Roxx would you like to see on a refreshed Thar 2.1?

... ... ...

I know the good folks at Mahindra follow this forum keenly... so Mr. R. Velusamy, if you are reading this, please offer the Thar 2.1 with the above features concurrently with the Roxx this Dussehra. Or, at the very least, release the Thar 2.1 on 26 January 2025!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
1. Full curtain and side airbags in the Thar 2.1
Yes, my apologies sridhar-v, somehow the additional airbags got left out of the wishlist I'd posted earlier. Those should definitely be included

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post
Guys,

Us Petrolheada are not feature obsessed. We want a good machine, and lots of Power, no roof helps, a great audio system.

That's it.

The powerful new Engines

That's it.
While I can appreciate that you have a different point of view, Nucliomaniac, I find it hard to agree with it. And to ascribe this view to all "us petrolheads" is probably a bridge too far. There may be quite a few who share this approach, but many (if not most) of us find the combination of comfort & performance / style & substance / beauty & the beast simply irresistible. And, in any case, why settle for less??!

By the way, the Oxford Dictionary defines a "petrolhead" simply as "a person who is very interested in cars" and the Cambridge Dictionary as "someone who likes and uses their car a lot, and does not want to use any other type of transport". I wonder how many petrolheads who own the current generation of Geländewagen, Defender, Bronco or Wrangler would be happier with fewer creature comforts that otherwise do not compromise on performance (to name just four of the most iconic 4x4 off-roaders that are not pickup trucks)...

No Mr. Velusamy, please do not pay any heed to my friend! Us petrolheads definitely want to have our cake and eat it too!! Also, am hoping you are on track for a Dussehra - or, at the very least, 26 January 2025 - release of the Thar 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringsoftime View Post
Since Thar 3D comes in soft top and convertible top, the age old fuel lid with key couldn't be scrapped that easily, I guess. It can be done on only hardtop variants, although Mahindra can do it. The reasoning behind providing the key lock on fuel lid stays same. Unless it is purely electronic and would do only with a key present, isn't that so?
I was under the impression that remote fuel lid release buttons only work when the car is unlocked? I suppose it may be hypothetically possible for someone in an unsavoury neighbourhood to slash the soft top, unlock the car doors from inside, press on the fuel lid release button and then siphon off whatever fuel is in the vehicle... but I also suspect that most soft top owners will not leave their vehicles unattended in such situations (am thinking also of high-end convertibles, of which one sees many examples in the metros, albeit always with the top up!!). In any case, I know that when (not if) I purchase my 4x4 Petrol CT Thar 2.1, I would like to get this feature retrofitted in case it doesn't come with it.
Hawkeye269 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 13:00   #5301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucliomaniac View Post

The powerful new Engines
I don’t think Mahindra will even consider higher state of tune engines for 3 door Thar facelift. 128.6KW (172bhp) 370 Nm would be an overkill for 3 door Thar. I would say 111.9 (150bhp) 330Nm would be definitely be an ideal choice.

It looks like Mahindra don’t want to offend the potential ScorpioN owners that’s why they deliberately limited the power figures even on thar roxx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringsoftime View Post
Mahindra didn’t bother much when 3 door was launched but now with the thar roxx launch they can simply share the parts for 3 door Thar hard top models. Infact majority of parts can be shared across 2 models.

Last edited by LionX : 29th August 2024 at 13:05.
Old 29th August 2024, 23:57   #5302
BHPian

In my (probably unpopular) opinion, the 3 door Thar is destined to die a slow death - at least the hard top version.
This is based on the below observations -
  • The 3 door hard top Thar has almost nothing that the 5 door version doesn't offer (yes, there is that thing about the missing petrol 4X4 in the 5 door avatar, but that might be added not too far in the future).
  • The 5 door has everything in its favor - except the convertible top

So, the decision battle for a customer will boil down to a fight between the 5 door Thar and the 3 door convertible Thar and be determined by the following:
  • Do you want a convertible top or a sunroof?
  • If you want a convertible top, you cannot have the white interiors (for obvious reasons).
  • You cannot have both 360-degree vision and removable doors (that the current 3 door offers).
The 3 door Thar might get some updates trickled down from the 5 door, but it will eventually be doomed for extinction.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 01:52   #5303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Last month, the warning popped up again and I poured in another bottle of the Mannol DPF cleaning fluid, and I'm hoping for another full year without DPF warnings.

Link to the product --> https://www.amazon.in/MANNOL-Cleaner...s%2C213&sr=8-3
On it's website it says...Application: Add to the tank before refueling in the ratio of 400 ml to 60 liters of fuel. Use every 2000 km.

https://mannol.in/products/additives...-cleaner2.html
shaheenazk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 02:34   #5304
BHPian

Quote:
Given that it’s been four years since the launch of Thar 2.0, it’s high time that Mahindra offered us version 2.1 with many of the same features that have now been made available on the Roxx.
I honestly don’t think it will happen (at least not in a hurry). Mahindra wants to brand the Roxx as a more premium offering which is why they probably never gave the Roxx a “fluttering at speed” soft top to begin with (not so premium unlike other convertibles). So there has to be some distinction which I honestly feel is more like a well deserved reward for those who waited patiently rather than jumping on the FOMO wagon of booking the 2 door Thar.

The Jimny proved that just having 4 doors is not going to give you the success that you want which is probably why Mahindra took their own sweet time to use its pseudo success hype as a case study and launched the Roxx after alot of R&D rather than crippling under any sort of pressure to launch a half baked product (which the two Thar despite being better than the previous gen, still feels today IMO. Just ask people with a bad back).

The Thar’s demand stayed ultra strong with a long waiting list and it still will continue to be for a while despite launching the Roxx. I don’t see why Mahindra would want to add bells and whistles anytime soon to make it more pricey. (Which they are actually against as they launched the even cheaper RWD Thar variant prior to the Roxx). Shows their priorities to offer both a pure rugged “ready to get dirty” off-roading product for the enthusiasts as well a semi luxurious product with white upholstery only for those who want to have a “Jeep (ahem ahem)” without having a jeep or without taking it off-road even once in its lifetime. (Capable yes, but so were most of the Fortuners which never saw a speck of muck stuck on them)

Last edited by Starfire : 30th August 2024 at 02:41.
Starfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2024, 13:08   #5305
BHPian

Has anyone here come across OSRAM 4200K 50W H4 LEDs? These are available at many e-marketplaces and there are quite a few reviews available on YouTube. Some bhpians have also tried them albeit in form factors other than h4. I mean, it's very tempting to have these as an upgrade for the stock halogens, but they don't seem to be original OSRAM ones. OSRAM's website has a comprehensive list of all their products. Earlier I had changed my bulbs to OSRAM's Night Breaker Laser halogens. That was listed on their webpage with all the technical details. However, nothing of that type is seen as far as these 50W 4200K LEDs are concerned. Moreover, OSRAM LEDs come with an authenticity-proving hologram and Serial Number that can be registered on their web page. However, those things seem to be absent in the packaging of the 50W LEDs. These things cost about 5K in Boodmo. I'm dead against plugging fake electronic things to the car.

That said, it seems nowadays proper LED 'bulbs' in halogen housings are a thing and they do work. But I don't have solid proof to support this. However, Mahindra offers LED headlight 'bulbs' as a standard accessory for Thar nowadays. These are Philips ones probably Ultinon 9000Pro. They produce 5800K white light and cost a bomb!

I don't want to blind oncoming traffic with ludicrous LED setups and I reckon Mahindra would have done some groundwork towards ensuring that with what they offer as an accessory. I also reckon the bulb placement in the halogen housings should be okay enough to provide a better throw than my existing OSRAM Night Breaker Halogens.

What should I do? Ditch all this and go straight to Stedi Homage sealed assemblies. Suggestions would greatly help.
Old 8th September 2024, 15:26   #5306
BHPian

Hi all,

I am in discussion with showroom in Vadodara for Convertible Top Thar. The representative told me they are not taking new booking for Convertible Top as we have been told that it is being discontinued. While I asked whether any official communication they received from Mahindra (which they are checking), but can it be the case that they are discontinuing Convertible Top? Anyone heard anything regarding this?
Old 8th September 2024, 23:17   #5307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all,

I am in discussion with showroom in Vadodara for Convertible Top Thar. The representative told me they are not taking new booking for Convertible Top as we have been told that it is being discontinued. While I asked whether any official communication they received from Mahindra (which they are checking), but can it be the case that they are discontinuing Convertible Top? Anyone heard anything regarding this?
This is a lie.

The dealers are shaky about taking a convertible top booking because they will find it difficult to sell it to a customer should you deny the purchase at a later stage. My Sales Advisor has called me multiple times just to make sure I am going to purchase it before taking the booking and after taking the booking.

I myself found it very difficult to convince the dealers here to take the booking for my convertible Thar about 3 months ago. I have booked mine in Deep Forest colour in Petrol AT, and am waiting for the delivery later this month.
nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 00:02   #5308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
This is a lie.
I have booked mine in Deep Forest colour in Petrol AT, and am waiting for the delivery later this month.
Wow great. I have been looking to book Green myself in Convertible Top version. I believe you booked in CT as well? If yes, please do share pictures, as Deep Forest color in CT yours might be actually one of the initials one in the country.
sahil624 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 16:36   #5309
BHPian

Amidst all the hype of 5-door Roxx, my beloved Roxy (yes this has been her name ever since i got her in Jan 2023!) receives a slew of upgrades to make the most of this monsoon off-road season:

Radar Renegade R/T+ (285/60/R18)
The stock Ceat Crossdrive tyres have been replaced (after 21,000kms) with a juicy set of Radar Renegade R/T’s (size: 285/60 R18); these beefy tyres compliment the Fuel rims rather nicely & have uplifted the overall stance to a whole new level. I’ve been using them for over 2,000 kms now & I’ve found the Renegade R/T’s to be rather good. There is no extra weight felt on the steering wheel, grip levels on highways are great, they inspire more confidence in wet conditions than the stock tyres & they superior grip & traction in off-road conditions. The Renegades were purchased from Saifee Tyres Dadar, they gave me a decent buy-back for my old tyres as well.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240711_162432.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240910_144815037.jpg

K&N Air-filter, MagnaFlow Axle-back Exhaust & Damping Sheets
The stock air-filter has been replaced with a K&N drop-in filter, and the stock exhaust muffler has been replaced with a MagnaFlow axle-back unit. The MagnaFlow unit is literally half the size of the stock Petrol Thar’s muffler; the new muffler sits behind the rear bumper & is completely hidden from sight (unlike the large ungainly stock muffler). With the new setup, there is a lovely rumble at cold starts & low-rpm’s that makes every drive thoroughly entertaining! Boy-oh-boy does it sound good now!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240910_161132250.jpg

Despite keeping the stock resonator intact, I noticed a slight amount of drone in the cabin at certain rpms after the exhaust-job. To counter this issue, damping sheets have been applied to the entire floor & front doors. This has made the overall exhaust setup a lot more enjoyable from within the cabin, with no more loud droning or booming noises. The K&N air filter & MagnaFlow muffler were purchased from N1 Racing, installation was done at Automech Mumbai.

Switched from Ironman4x4 to Toughdog Suspension
I’ve had the Ironman suspension kit since Dec 2023 and have driven ~13,000 kms with them. They’re up for sale now in the classifieds section. The Ironman Nitrogas dampers were stiffer than OEM, and offered excellent handling & body control on highways, I thoroughly enjoyed this setup during road-trips. However, the ride was noticeably stiffer over poor road surfaces, especially at my locality in Mumbai.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240910_154357945.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240910_123432.jpg

After trying a few alternative options, I decided to go ahead with the Toughdog lift-kit. This setup consists of 2x NitroGas shocks at the front, 2 FoamCell shocks at the rear & 4 coil springs. The ToughDog kit offers a relatively softer rider, a slightly higher lift (40mm lift front & rear) & better articulation. The ToughDog lift kit paired with the Rengade R/T+ tyres makes the Thar a formidable off-road machine! I had an absolute blast with this setup when I did the trail at Morbe dam recently. Although with regards to handling and dynamics at higher speeds, I will rate the Ironman as superior. Purchase & Installation of the ToughDog lift kit & the damping sheets were done at Mkraft Mumbai.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240910_123224819.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240910_123025218.jpg

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 10th September 2024 at 16:41.
Nair.V8 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 19:21   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post

What should I do? Ditch all this and go straight to Stedi Homage sealed assemblies. Suggestions would greatly help.
Option 1: add relay and upgrade to 130/100 halogens 1.5-2k
Option 2: replace projectors with 3" led projectors ~8-10k
Or both

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks