Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2024, 15:28   #5281
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Got my second "DPF clogged" message day before yesterday with ODO @ 2700 kms. This is the second time since purchase. First time happened with ODO @ 300-400 kms. Did the Park Regen which was executed successfully.

Is this normal ? First time, I had done lot of short trips. This time it was mostly driven intercity, though intercity drives in Kerala are done max @ 70 kmph.

I have planned a Road trip to Ladakh next month on the Thar and this has me slightly worried. I am thinking about taking my Compass instead, though it is not a 4x4.

I had a brief conversation with the service executive who handled my first service. He is of the opinion that it is completely healthy for my Thar to have shown the Regen Message at the right time along with the successful execution of the Regen Program. He said the issue happens when the Regen message doesn't appear and in those cases the Vehicles go to creep mode with DPF error messages of various sorts.
Old 19th August 2024, 11:48   #5282
BHPian

This Thar Moonroof looks really good. A Moonroof will make the cabin bit more airy and doesn't give passengers the option to stick their head out.

The cost as per the number given in the video is 40000Rs and installation time is 4-5hrs.

Last edited by vellatechie : 19th August 2024 at 11:51. Reason: Added price.
Old 19th August 2024, 12:54   #5283

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetom89 View Post
Is this normal ? First time, I had done lot of short trips. This time it was mostly driven intercity, though intercity drives in Kerala are done max @ 70 kmph.

I have planned a Road trip to Ladakh next month on the Thar and this has me slightly worried. I am thinking about taking my Compass instead, though it is not a 4x4.
DPF clogging is normal in BSVI Thar. In ideal scenario it appears whenever vehicle is driven in low speed and under load for longer duration (heavy traffic, low speeds in mountains etc) or frequent short trips in low speed (leas than 40 in city), or clogged air intake filter. Engine automatically clears the excessive soot when vehicle is driven on highway for 15 mins and also during city drives, as part of auto soot clearance process.

Is your Thar manual or automatic? Driving in high gears and low rpm may also trigger this situation (in case of manual gearbox).

Whenever the soot mass is not able to clear itself, probably due to any faulty equipment, manual regen light appears in the console for us to act upon.

I would suggest that try to see a pattern in the regen option that is appearing for you. If it's due to driving style or driving conditions then there is no issue with the vehicle. Accordingly seek help from concerned ASC.

Happy journey
bairagi_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 14:27   #5284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairagi_virus View Post

Is your Thar manual or automatic? Driving in high gears and low rpm may also trigger this situation (in case of manual gearbox).
Whenever the soot mass is not able to clear itself, probably due to any faulty equipment, manual regen light appears in the console for us to act upon.
Thank You
Mine is Automatic.
Regarding the Manual Regen, Is there a chance for failure of regen process at higher altitudes? Since the Air Density is less?
Old 19th August 2024, 16:49   #5285

Quote:
Regarding the Manual Regen, Is there a chance for failure of regen process at higher altitudes? Since the Air Density is less?
Usually, regen sign appears well in advance and manual regen can be done at high altitudes as well. There is still enough oxygen to do it, however it might take longer than usual time, kindly confirm the numbers from ASC.

But overall there wont be a problem at high altitudes. I did spiti circuit twice in my Thar, not a single regen required during entire trip.
Old 20th August 2024, 19:27   #5286
BHPian

Hello everyone, I have booked my Thar a month ago and I am expecting delivery in the next 2 weeks. Just wanted to know anyone's experience with the 70mai Rearview DashCam S500 3K DUAL HDR? How is the visibility at night, any camera glare?
Thanks.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 19:34   #5287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Hello everyone, I have booked my Thar a month ago and I am expecting delivery in the next 2 weeks. Just wanted to know anyone's experience with the 70mai Rearview DashCam S500 3K DUAL HDR? How is the visibility at night, any camera glare?
Thanks.
Congratulations 👏🏻
Better go for DDPAi N5 dual, I'm using the same since past 5 years now. It's working like a charm, moreover I'm using with hardwired that means it's continuously on since then. No glare at all and application experience is really friendly as compared to other DashCam.
vivekdewanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 14:32   #5288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
I visited VVC Mahindra showroom some days back to take Thar 3-door test drive. I got lucky and got to see the Desert Fury (aka Thar Earth Edition) on display. Thar very looks very premium in this shade in person.
Attachment 2640257

Matte finish of desert fury from closeup shot
Attachment 2640256

All 4 front AC vents frame is in the same colour
Attachment 2640258
Attachment 2640259

The seats are also in sand color keeping in line with the exterior color
Attachment 2640260

The "Thar" branding on the front doors is in the same color
Attachment 2640261

Mahindra should provide this as a standard color combination on the Thar instead of providing limited edition only

We booked Desert Fury Petrol AT in March 2024 because we liked the colour and the interior felt roomy. Informed by dealership that Mahindra had only manufactured diesel manuals as limited edition. The dealership is convincing me to take diesel manual however our preference remains Petrol AT 4X4. The dealership team as well as Mahindra are not giving me a clear date when they can deliver the vehicle we booked. The wait is been too long and frustrating especially the dealership and Mahindra customer care not being very helpful in getting me a date.

Last edited by harish_K : 21st August 2024 at 14:41. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd August 2024, 15:30   #5289
BHPian

Any body here installed Lamda manual lockers?
Can it be installed in Thar's having MLD?

Old 22nd August 2024, 21:22   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish_K View Post
Informed by dealership that Mahindra had only manufactured diesel manuals as limited edition. The dealership is convincing me to take diesel manual however our preference remains Petrol AT 4x4
I have seen 3 Desert Fury Thar across 2 different dealerships and all were manual transmission. This makes me believe what your SA said could be true that Mahindra manufactured manuals only and are not manufacturing Petrol automatic until they get a minimum number or bookings.
It would be good if Mahindra provided Roxx interior in the same colour as the ones on Desert Fury.

I still have not seen any Desert Fury on the road in past 3 months.
kgt.v8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 15:22   #5291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got my second "DPF clogged" message day before yesterday with ODO @ 2700 kms. This is the second time since purchase. First time happened with ODO @ 300-400 kms. Did the Park Regen which was executed successfully.
Once the Regen warning starts to occur frequently, it means the DPF is getting increasingly clogged and the manually triggered Regen cycle is not able to burn off the soot sufficiently.

This started happening on my Thar Diesel HT AT pretty frequently last year. I drive the vehicle primarily in the city, on my ultra short commute of 3 to 4 km each way, in bumper-to-bumper traffic. In the first few years I used to do long distance trip but that stopped after 2022 when we start to get back to Office from remote working.

After some research, I decided to go for a DPF cleaning additive. My research led me to the conclusion that the best one was the Mannol DPF cleaner from Germany, which is available on Amazon. The product is a bit expensive but very effective. I bought a bottle, and poured it into the fuel tank right before a full tank refill. Drove around the Thar for about 20 minutes in the city (no high-speed driving are required), and the warnings were gone. The DPF warning has not come back for a long time (over a year), despite the fact that I didn't only one long distance run in the last December.

Last month, the warning popped up again and I poured in another bottle of the Mannol DPF cleaning fluid, and I'm hoping for another full year without DPF warnings.

Link to the product --> https://www.amazon.in/MANNOL-Cleaner...s%2C213&sr=8-3
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2024, 16:36   #5292
BHPian

So the Thar Roxx (TeamBHP official review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...xx-review.html (Mahindra Thar Roxx Review)) has been launched with several desirable features (and some not-so-desirable ones) that are currently not available on the Thar.

Given that it’s been four years since the launch of Thar 2.0, it’s high time that Mahindra offered us version 2.1 with many of the same features that have now been made available on the Roxx. I have been waiting in vain, as is evident from the following quote from my post dated 16 August 2020 on this forum:
On balance, I'm giving a big thumb's up to Ms. Ramkripa Ananthan and her team for giving us the Thar 2.0, and will have absolutely no hesitation in putting my money where my mouth is by booking a Thar 2.1 (after the initial niggles have been sorted).
(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4865814 (The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86))

Much water has flown down the Sutlej since then, and my wish list has changed somewhat in view of the offerings on the Roxx.

Off-topic: automotive history buffs will recall that M&M was founded way back in 1945 as Mahindra & Mohammed, a steel trading company, in Ludhiana… which is situated on the old banks of the Sutlej river.
Off-off-topic: The founders of M&M were brothers Kailash Chandra Mahindra and Jagdish Chandra Mahindra (Anand Mahindra’s grandfather), along with Malik Ghulam Muhammad… who went on to become Pakistan’s first Finance Minister.

Coming back to the topic at hand, which features of the Roxx would you like to see on a refreshed Thar 2.1? Here’s my updated wish list:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-.jpg
360° camera system (but definitely not the front grille or the alloys).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-b.jpg
Grab handle on the A-pillar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-c.jpg
Starter button.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-d.jpg
Electronic power steering with improved quality flat-bottomed steering wheel.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-e.jpg
Remote fuel lid release and IntelliTurn Assist feature.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-f.jpg
Improved doorpads with comfortable tops to rest one’s arm as well as housings for component speakers and tweeters (the Roxx also has the same water wading depth of 650mm, so this change should not adversely impact the Thar's performance).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-g1.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-g2.jpg
Electrically adjustable ventilated front seats (just not in the ivory colour shown in the Roxx media drive; would prefer either a simple black or the khaki colour offered in the Thar Earth Edition).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-h.jpg
Aluminium pedals with rubber inserts along with a usable dead pedal.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-i.jpg
Level 2 ADAS with features including automatic emergency braking, forward collision warning, smart pilot assist, lane departure warning, lane keep assist, traffic signal recognition, high beam assist, 360-degree view system with blind view monitor and adaptive cruise control.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-j.jpg
Auto-dimming IRVM.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-k.jpg
Improved 10.25” touchscreen.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-l.jpg
Electric parking brake with auto-hold.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-y.jpg
Electric locking differential (ELD).

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-m.jpg
Mods Aditya and Jaggu were full of praise for the improved suspension of the Roxx, which comes with an independent double-wishbone suspension with coil springs at the front and a rigid axle with coil springs and Watt's linkage at the rear. Additionally, the dampers come with frequency selective damping (which varies the damping force according to the frequency of bumps) and multi-tune valve with concentric land (which further fine-tunes the damping force by controlling the fluid through piston valves). The rear suspension also gets a hydraulic rebound stopper. All of these would be welcome additions to the Thar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.1-z.jpg
I’m personally not a fan of LED headlamps on the Thar, but I know that a lot of my fellow Team BHPians would love to see those filter down from the Roxx as well.

I know the good folks at Mahindra follow this forum keenly... so Mr. R. Velusamy, if you are reading this, please offer the Thar 2.1 with the above features concurrently with the Roxx this Dussehra. Or, at the very least, release the Thar 2.1 on 26 January 2025!!

P.S. - images courtesy: the official Mahindra Thar Roxx review thread on Team BHP and the odd download from Google Images.

Last edited by Hawkeye269 : 26th August 2024 at 16:51. Reason: Afterthoughts
Hawkeye269 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 27th August 2024, 09:43   #5293
BHPian

Any thoughts on the expected resale values of 3 door Thar's changing once the Roxx is out? Would it be reasonable to assume that I could pick up a pristine 2 year old Petrol for 10L (ish) sometime next year?
Old 27th August 2024, 10:22   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post

I know the good folks at Mahindra follow this forum keenly... so Mr. R. Velusamy, if you are reading this, please offer the Thar 2.1 with the above features concurrently with the Roxx this Dussehra. Or, at the very least, release the Thar 2.1 on 26 January 2025!!
Adding my 2 requests to this wish list :-
1. Full curtain and side airbags in the Thar 2.1
2. Please introduce a petrol AT&awd variant in MX3 of XUV700 with full safety kit.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2024, 09:43   #5295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The clarity of this lens and reflector is amazing, I`m happy with normal 60/55W bulbs in this, spread and reach of the beam is very nice.
Trying to find a hella distributor/dealer in Bangalore for these. Any inputs will be welcome.

Most Viewed