Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:37   #5266
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

My friend has bought a new Thar, with the delivery scheduled for the 30th. It's a RWD Petrol AT variant, with no plans for off roading. What basic accessories are recommended for purchase, both from the showroom and externally? The reverse camera seems essential, but Mahindra's quoted price is around 5k. Considering there's already a head unit and only the wiring and camera need to be installed, isn't this a bit high, or is it justifiable?

Thar__W501__Accessories_Catalogue_Rev_4.1.pdf
akhilshenay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 23:45   #5267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilshenay View Post
My friend has bought a new Thar, with the delivery scheduled for the 30th. It's a RWD Petrol AT variant, with no plans for off roading. What basic accessories are recommended for purchase, both from the showroom and externally? The reverse camera seems essential, but Mahindra's quoted price is around 5k. Considering there's already a head unit and only the wiring and camera need to be installed, isn't this a bit high, or is it justifiable?

Attachment 2631033
Price list as received from Horizon Motors, Kottayam, Kerala.
I would recommend getting the camera from the Dealer along with Rear arm rests and mudflaps.
Mahindra original is the best amongst various designs of rear arm rests. For everything else, depend on external sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20240723_234010.jpg  

josetom89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 22:57   #5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
At 80k kms the rear left shocker of my Thar has developed a leak.

Ones that would tackle broken Tarmac and small potholes with ease would be heaven.
You can get them replaced under warranty if you have it. Mine both the rear ones had busted in 41k kms and they were changed under warranty.
Crosscountryman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 09:14   #5269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering there's already a head unit and only the wiring and camera need to be installed, isn't this a bit high, or is it justifiable?
Considering there has already been an issue where a Thar got gutted down owing to a short circuit caused due to the camera (still hard to believe) and insurance being denied, better go with official Mahindra issued hardware.
Coincidently the camera was installed by the dealer.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 07:38   #5270
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Pro Fender suspension for Mahindra Thar. I do not see any proper review videos on you tube on this.

Any personal experience would surely help for decision making.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th July 2024, 00:06   #5271
BHPian

I am looking to add real parcel tray for Thar as sometimes i need to keep laptop in vehicle. Any guidance on the same will be very helpful.

Quote:

Attachment 2631033
For my RWD petrol AT, i got reverse camera, scuff plate, mudguards, Rain visor only from dealership. Its recommended to get camera from mahindra as aftermarket needs software update from mahindra which will be a hassle. After market i added steering cover, OSRAM 4200K 50W LED bulbs, 7D footmats.

Last edited by graaja : 31st July 2024 at 08:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use Edit of Multiquote options
jimmzbond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 20:27   #5272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7420 View Post
So I asked another service centre ( Kottayam, Kerala ) and the tech team from there said there’s no difference whatsoever with regards to the suspension components between 2021 and 2023-24. Even the part numbers are same, as many of our members have mentioned before. But he also told me that if I insist, they can change mine to the latest one but it wouldn’t make any difference to my ride quality They’re certain about that.

When I enquired if there’s any change that has been done with suspension, they said there’s been no update or improvement as far as they know. There’s been some update with steering box apparently but not suspension.
This the exact same feedback I got when i enquired with Neon ASC in Hyderabad today. No Change in suspension. It is the Same old part number. But feedback on this thread mentions a perceivable difference in the stock setup.

They quoted around 20K for a full suspension change. When I give the car for 50K service I will still ask them to update it.

Maybe they upgraded the components with same part number?
Old 3rd August 2024, 23:45   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
This the exact same feedback I got when i enquired with Neon ASC in Hyderabad today. No Change in suspension.
That is not what i learned from Boodmo. Have look in the following post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post
It’s good that somebody is talking about this possibility.
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 05:13   #5274
BHPian

Quote:
That is not what i learned from Boodmo. Have look in the following post
Thanks for the information mate. I shared it with the ASC Advisor and asked him to revert on it.

Is the setup same for the RWD only vehicles as well? They would weigh considerably less. Or do they have different part numbers.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 10:19   #5275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Thanks for the information mate. I shared it with the ASC Advisor and asked him to revert on it.
I don't think their reply would be any different from earlier since I also got the same 'no change' reply from my service centre a while back. Moreover, now when I checked on Boodmo they have the same part numbers for all the components for all models from 2020 onwards. However, I did note the part numbers shown in Boodmo at the time of my original posting.

So, try giving the ASC the following part numbers,

1. Front Right Shock Absorber assembly (Coil Spring and the damper unit):
Post 2023 (as per Boodmo at the time of my original posting): 0401ABB01101N (compatible only with 01/2023 onwards)
Part Number as shown now (2020-till now): 0403ABB01091N (08/2020 onwards)

2. Rear Shock Absorber (only the damper):
Post 2023 (as per Boodmo at the time of my original posting): 0401ADG00871N (compatible only with 01/2023 onwards)
Part Number as shown now (2020-till now): 0403ADG00121N (08/2020 onwards)

Boodmo is still selling the 'compatible on 01-2023 onwards only' parts that I have quote above.

In Boodmo they have these component-level exploded assembly drawings meant for vehicle service. They seem to be original Mahindra service drawings. The drawings were slightly different in the pre and post-2023 models at the time of my original post. At the time the only component numbers that were different were that of the assemblies that I had quoted. But I'm somewhat confused right now with all the components shown in Boodmo now showing the same part numbers for all models from 2020.

The service centre guys did acknowledge that the components available on Boodmo are original Mahindra.

Last edited by arunpools : 4th August 2024 at 10:30. Reason: thought a sentence lacked clarity
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 15:44   #5276

I have been facing a strange issue with the power windows of my 2021 Thar.

The cable of the power window motor snaps producing a loud thud and the glass sinks in to the door pad, making it impossible to park the vehicle anywhere.
Have experienced this with both the doors in the last 3 months. Good thing is that the entire set was replaced within warranty.

What worries me is the feedback received by the SA. As per him, this is a common issue with Thar and most probably is caused by the faulty part. There have been many replacements till date, however the quality of the part has not improved.
Has anyone else also faced the same issue and if there is a fix available apart from the trip to service center?
Old 11th August 2024, 11:11   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhail View Post
I have been facing a strange issue with the power windows of my 2021 Thar.

The cable of the power window motor snaps producing a loud thud and the glass sinks in to the door pad, making it impossible to park the vehicle anywhere.
I had the left one in my Sept 2022 model replaced within first week of purchase and I have had no issues after that. Last month when I did my third service, the SA told me they wanted to take a look at the condition of the window winders as a preventive measure. They said there is a replacement recall for 2020 - 2021 models and for newer ones they would check and 'if necessary' replace. You can call your SA and enquire.

Last edited by arunpools : 11th August 2024 at 11:20.
arunpools is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 11:47   #5278
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I visited VVC Mahindra showroom some days back to take Thar 3-door test drive. I got lucky and got to see the Desert Fury (aka Thar Earth Edition) on display. Thar very looks very premium in this shade in person.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_100118132_ios.jpg

Matte finish of desert fury from closeup shot
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_101040510_ios.jpg

All 4 front AC vents frame is in the same colour
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_100243377_ios.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_100226918_ios.jpg

The seats are also in sand color keeping in line with the exterior color
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_100222827_ios.jpg

The "Thar" branding on the front doors is in the same color
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240724_100214000_ios.jpg

Mahindra should provide this as a standard color combination on the Thar instead of providing limited edition only
kgt.v8 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 20:14   #5279

Yes mine got replaced by the dealer AnanthCars service free of cost. Looks like replacement recall for 2020 - 2021 models

Quote:
I had the left one in my Sept 2022 model replaced within first week of purchase and I have had no issues after that. Last month when I did my third service, the SA told me they wanted to take a look at the condition of the window winders as a preventive measure. They said there is a replacement recall for 2020 - 2021 models and for newer ones they would check and 'if necessary' replace. You can call your SA and enquire.
luckyakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 13:55   #5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetom89 View Post

Did few mods on my Red guy. This is the first time I am fiddling with a car prior to first service. I got that confidence predominantly due to the infinite number of modded thars I see every day.
I've been contemplating doing chrome delete but after seeing yours this looks brilliant.

This is mine .
Mods Done :
1. Stedi Homage Headlamps
2. Swastik Fabs Diff Breathers
3. Swastik Underbody Protection Kit
4. Hella BlackMagic Flood 3.2

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240607_083037.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240607_153449.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240629_170847.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2024 at 14:52. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Please quote only relevant part while replying.
ishan0278 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks