Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2024, 16:54   #5251
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Agreed on the looker part. The grill mod is an interesting mod, not really seen it before. Gives it a nice blacked out look - nice one!

Regarding the Proman handles, wouldn't they be extremely dangerous in an accident? As in, if your head hit that in a collision it could be fatal, even when wearing a seatbelt and having the airbags go off? Looks lethal to me!
Thank you.

Regarding the handle, I didn't think about such a hazard. However upon checking it further I feel it is an issue only if you are thrown around during an accident whilst untethered.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2024 at 17:40. Reason: Typos
josetom89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 18:53   #5252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Known problem lot, this dealership. Keep the CSM's number handy and email customer support with the quote anytime you have doubts. Stick to your scheduled services
. What is ESP / ESC and ABS doing if not braking in a straight line? Unless you have a history of driving downhill, having braked very hard, and using the brakes as your primary braking mechanism, I don't see why the rotors should warp, esp when they're as chunky on this car as any.

Skim your rotors only if they show significant reason.
Do so with smoothing out the pads else you're back to square 1 in no time I reckon.
Yes! But it isn’t pulling to the right, the braking is perfectly fine and I knew it. Just shows how they manipulate innocent/ first time customers..

Thanks anyway 🙏
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 19:46   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josetom89 View Post
Thank you.

Regarding the handle, I didn't think about such a hazard. However upon checking it further I feel it is an issue only if you are thrown around during an accident whilst untethered.

I'd go so far as to say i dont see why or how you'd hit the handle. This is a definite improvement over the A pillar drilled grab handles.

Coming to the proman design (if I may say, it's equally aped, it's no original design), I run a clone called 'tough skull ��'. Pardon the irony here, but it's a parallel stiffening of the roof channel between the A and B pillar, and not much else. No drilling required.

The bigger disaster that I see is the exposed seat belt mounting points on the B pillar. I plan on cushioning them up in something solid the coming month, even if I have to rivet the plastic. I drive fairly laid back and the frontal collisions don't scare me as much as the lateral ones do, to speak in theoretical terms. 0 side airbags - hope the refresh has them.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2024, 18:50   #5254
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1355.pngFitted this kind of handle
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2024, 00:49   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Apart from just a couple of stretches during my trip I almost never hit 80kmph. Between Spiti and Leh, almost 120km of the road is just non existent where speed rarely crossed 40kmph. The mountain tunnels have a speed limit of 50kmph.
Well you don't have to hit 80kmph to get good fuel mileage. I drove mine at about 70 over most part of Mumbai-Pune Expressway round trip once. The car was brand new and I didn't want to stretch it. That was the only time I saw 13.8kmpl displayed on the trip computer and the actual would have been around 12. I'm sure the car would return a better figure if I did the same stretch at 60 (for fear of going nuts sitting behind the wheel I would probably never do that).

For a normal road going car it is said that the most efficient speed is between 40 to 80kmph. I'm not saying that the road conditions are comparable in your case but 10.5 is not that high either. Moreover, you may have been using less AC and more of the heater on your trip up on the mountains. The heater uses the hot engine coolant for the heat which is basically waste heat. All of these could have added to the higher than expected fuel mileage in your case.

Actually, it is good news to know. I would have also assumed additional fuel consumption and would have prepared accordingly for a trip like that.
Old 16th July 2024, 01:07   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Thar is a beast and surprisingly my jerry can was not required (it wasn't even close). According to the car, I consistently got over 10.5kmpl between Srinagar and Jispa. This is more than I get driving in and around NCR. When I did my refill in Manali, it showed DTE of 760km. I firmly believe during the last service a small electric engine was added to my car and was upgraded to mild hybrid.

This circuit has been posted multiple times so I won't create a new thread but if anyone has any question, I'll be happy to answer.

This is my Thar at Khardungla.
Wow this is an impressive figure if not magical. I have never managed to achieve beyond 7-9 kmpl mileage on my petrol AT 4x4, I mostly drive within NCR and to/from Noida-Rishikesh on expressway. Even on expressway never went beyond 9.

This is my only gripe with this otherwise hugely capable vehicle. I'm always fearful of not finding a petrol pump whenever I venture out to unknown places, a risk Thar actively encourages me to take . Wish someone creates a fuel efficiency mod for Thar

Also thanks for sharing the tip. In my Next road trip I am going to limit myself to 80 KM/Hr and see if I can get similar numbers

sharing a few pics from my last trip (apologies for low quality images)

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240714-22.24.47.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240715-13.55.39.jpeg
sandeeprawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 20:47   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
E21 has devolved to E22.
Hello! Received the same error today while going uphill. At around 27000m above sea level, ambient temperature hovering around 20⁰ C.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20240716_204605_gallery.jpg

P.S: @Mahindra, please issue a recall for this. This is not how a vehicle should run. Reliability is the foremost priority for a vehicle which is marked as go anywhere vehicle.

It simply couldn't work reliably in normal temperature at normal height. I wonder how it'd act at sub zero temperatures and above 30000m.

Last edited by batish : 16th July 2024 at 20:50.
Old 16th July 2024, 21:34   #5258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Hello! Received the same error today while going uphill. At around 27000m above sea level, ambient temperature hovering around 20⁰ C.

Attachment 2628144

P.S: @Mahindra, please issue a recall for this. This is not how a vehicle should run. Reliability is the foremost priority for a vehicle which is marked as go anywhere vehicle.

It simply couldn't work reliably in normal temperature at normal height. I wonder how it'd act at sub zero temperatures and above 30000m.
Batish this is a repeat phenomenon.
I've had the dosing valve changed after meeting Mr. Velusamy.
It's come up again, just recently, after 20k kms driven since the last failure.
It fails. They're not doing much about it. Just live with it =) I've learned that whacking it with a spanner is the way. However, they also use a laptop to keep agitating the valve.
We don't have such a laptop, so the spanner may or not be a productive hammer.
Frankly, they should have a better dosing valve. I'd be inclined to check if it's the same in subsequent similar engine vehicles ( 700, scorpio N and the likes.)
Push them for a recall? Count me in. Unfortunately, since the problems generally 'self heals', and I don't live at high altitude, I can barely ever reproduce the issue for MnM to troubleshoot. Thereby, there's only so much one customer can insist on.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 09:40   #5259
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

Attachment 2628144

Huhhhhhhh????????? There were three Everests stacked on top of each other; and you climbed even higher? With your Thar?????

I mean, I know zero technically has no value, but still...?

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 17th July 2024 at 09:41.
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 21:49   #5260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Huhhhhhhh????????? There were three Everests stacked on top of each other; and you climbed even higher? With your Thar?????

I mean, I know zero technically has no value, but still...?

Cheers
Oops! That's a typo. Please ignore the last zero.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed