Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2024, 13:03   #5206
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Owners of the soft-tops please, how leak-proof is the soft-top variant during rains?
Old 13th June 2024, 13:07   #5207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Hello, T-BHP people. I need suggestions on replacing the convertible top of my thar with a hard-top. I am particularly interested in getting a hard top with a sun-roof. Are there any reliable outlets to get the job done in the Delhi-NCR region?
Hu, any particular reason why you want to change?

I thunk Bimbra provides decent options for Hardtop with sunroof.
Old 13th June 2024, 20:44   #5208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
n the case of all vehicles with a tailgate mounted spare wheel like the Thar, the spare that lies unused for a prolonged time may be at risk of getting damaged by the sun. As long as the tyres (including the spare) are rotated every once a while, there should be no problem. I've made it a point to rotate all 5 tyres every 10k kms on my Thar.

When I bought my Thar I planned to do the rotation every 10k but wasn't diligent about it. I did it as below
  1. ~10k km - Rotated 4 tires
  2. ~33k km - Rotated 4 tires
  3. ~40k km - Rotated 4 tires
I'm now at 45k km and am wondering how I missed the spare. The tread on the spare is almost new (was used in the first 5k and changed out after a puncture. No more punctures in the next 40k km).

The 4 tires in rotation have about 1/3 of their tread left compared to the spare. Can someone suggest if I should introduce the spare into rotation now? If not what should I do when I replace the tire which would wear out in about 10-15k km.
Old 13th June 2024, 20:51   #5209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
The 4 tires in rotation have about 1/3 of their tread left compared to the spare. Can someone suggest if I should introduce the spare into rotation now? If not what should I do when I replace the tire which would wear out in about 10-15k km.
Keep spare for emergencies - tyres will last that way for 10 years easily, so move to the next set of 4 service tyres and keep the same old spare tyre.

4 tyre rotations are common now, many cars don't have a spare either.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 20:59   #5210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Keep spare for emergencies - tyres will last that way for 10 years easily, so move to the next set of 4 service tyres and keep the same old spare tyre.

Thank you for that.

I have a follow up question: My Feb 2021 Thar came with CEAT Czar tires. When I replace them I intend to go with OEM spec which is currently CEAT CrossDrive tires. Is it okay to continue having the CEAT Czar as a spare?
Old 13th June 2024, 21:21   #5211
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
Thank you for that.

I have a follow up question: My Feb 2021 Thar came with CEAT Czar tires. When I replace them I intend to go with OEM spec which is currently CEAT CrossDrive tires. Is it okay to continue having the CEAT Czar as a spare?
Yes you can.

Whenever you are on spare, drive at moderate speeds and repair the service tyres.

You can also exchange an unused spare , get a good discount on a new tyre even if it is a few years old. So there is that option as well
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 21:51   #5212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

I might be off, but Tyres also have a time limited life, which is not clearly specified. The recommendations I have read is not to exceed 5-6 years of life.

The reasoning given is that tyres deteriorate due to exposure to the elements and particularly the sun. It leads to the rubber hardening which is not great for a safety critical item as tyre. For Thar, the spare tyre sun exposure could be much higher than in other cars.

Of course one can keep this in mind and as you suggest use the spare only in emergencies.

I would suggest to get the spare into the rotation sequence and while it might be much fresher thread depth wise when the tyre set replacement time comes, the peace of mind will be high and the overall cost impact not so much
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 23:12   #5213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer_Shower View Post
Owners of the soft-tops please, how leak-proof is the soft-top variant during rains?
4 years and 7 months, driven through worst of weathers - no leaks! Mine is a CT AT.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 17:41   #5214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
4 years and 7 months, driven through worst of weathers - no leaks! Mine is a CT AT.
I can second that, 2.5 years of Bangalore Rains and several monsoon highway & ghat trips... no leaks or visible deterioration so far.
Old 15th June 2024, 01:00   #5215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singer_Shower View Post
Seen 3 monsoons. No leaks.
But if you plan to use it on highways keep in mind that the fabric flutters with the wind and gets noisy. Take a long test drive to see if that bothers you.
The AC also works fine. worst my Thar has seen is 44 degrees and the AC worked well.
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 18:26   #5216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish_K View Post
Went ahead and booked Thar Petrol AT (Earth Edition) end of March. I thought this being limited edition would be available readily however proven wrong. The booking document states 3 months, however the advisor is confident to get the delivery within 2 months.
Does anyone knows whether the Earth Edition is discontinued or not. Our dealership says Earth Edition Petrol AT is not yet available in the production line. In two minds whether to cancel the booking or change the colour.
Old 18th June 2024, 12:11   #5217
BHPian

My Thar CT AT is about 1.5 years old. Its superb, no leaks, efficient cooling in Delhi summers, cabin is super cool in Delhi summers. Please go ahead you will enjoy it is head vs. heart decision. I open the hood only when we are in hills or weather is good enough. Yes there is flutter but that is ok.
Old 19th June 2024, 19:45   #5218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hu, any particular reason why you want to change?

I thunk Bimbra provides decent options for Hardtop with sunroof.
Security concern. As I need it in the city now as my daily ride, earlier it was at my farm.
But I might just keep it the way it is for now.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 19th June 2024, 23:22   #5219
BHPian

Looks like they updated few Thar colors.

The old brochure snapshot

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-11.png

The new updated colors, including the Stealth black, Deep grey & Deep forest

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-13.png

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-12.png

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-14.png

Last edited by The Pianist : 19th June 2024 at 23:23.
The Pianist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 11:05   #5220
BHPian

Has anybody experienced brake squealing at higher temperatures? I am experiencing it since a month, only after driving around 30 kms at around 40-42⁰ they start squealing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks