Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2024, 20:20   #5191
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Ran into a question hardwiring a dashcam onto the Diesel Thar AT. For the cam to work in the park mode (it does 1 fps recording when parked), it needs to be hard wired such that:
  • one wire gets ACC power (only when ignition is on)
  • second needs Batt (constant supply from battery even when keys are out and vehicle locked)
  • third is the ground
The hardwire kit comes with fuse taps (with a 15A fuse in it) but am having a hard time figuring out which one to tap where in the safest way possible such that I dont mess things up by tapping the wrong ones.

I looked up the manual and also took a picture of the fuse box panel but most of the descriptions aren't making sense to me (am ignorant). It would be helpful if there was a cheat sheet that explains these in further detail.

Even better, it'd be really awesome if any of you fine folks just tell me 'ACC goes here and BATT goes here' like the idiot I am
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0513.jpg  

fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 13:05   #5192
BHPian

Its been a blissful year & a half with my beloved Thar. She has been a wonderful companion for daily commutes, weekend/holiday road trips, and occasional off-road adventures. I have driven & owned a fair share of cars over the years; but nothing comes close to the Thar in our Indian road conditions. This beast is simply unfazed by bad roads, flooded roads, no roads, erratic traffic & any other nasty surprise that one may face. No other vehicle has given me this level of confidence & peace on our streets!

Overtime she has been spruced-up with a comprehensive list of functional mods; barring the 7slot grill & upgraded lights the exteriors looked fairly stock. Recently after having completed 20k kms, i decided to gift her with a set of new off-road alloys to spice things up. The search was not easy as the market is filled with options that are oversized & extra wide; and i was looking for something rather elegant & having minimal negative offset. After much consideration i went ahead with 18" Fuel Vectors in matt bronze, a shade that would contrast nicely with my Aquamarine Thar. It's just remarkable how a nice set of rims can uplift a cars aesthetics!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240608_114704.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240610_125251694.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240610_125446340.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 02:35   #5193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Ran into a question hardwiring a dashcam onto the Diesel Thar AT. For the cam to work in the park mode (it does 1 fps recording when parked), it needs to be hard wired such that:
  • one wire gets ACC power (only when ignition is on)
  • second needs Batt (constant supply from battery even when keys are out and vehicle locked)
  • third is the ground
The hardwire kit comes with fuse taps (with a 15A fuse in it) but am having a hard time figuring out which one to tap where in the safest way possible such that I dont mess things up by tapping the wrong ones.

I looked up the manual and also took a picture of the fuse box panel but most of the descriptions aren't making sense to me (am ignorant). It would be helpful if there was a cheat sheet that explains these in further detail.

Even better, it'd be really awesome if any of you fine folks just tell me 'ACC goes here and BATT goes here' like the idiot I am
If you're up for sourcing the cable from USA, you should get this. It uses your OBD port for power. Super clear install, plug and play. Has a switch to toggle between parking mode and ignition. It can also be removed within seconds if ever needed.

I had a 70mai dash cam hard-wiring kit earlier. It went bad after 2 year, so I switched to the OBD port cable.
strawmUnkey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 10:45   #5194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawmUnkey View Post
If you're up for sourcing the cable from USA,
The cam, the mounting bracket, the hardwire kit, etc. was all recently sourced from the US. Now, it doesnt make sense to order a replacement kit. Am gonna use the one I already got and maybe in the future I will switch to the OBD2 port connection when its necessary. Thanks for your input though.
Old 11th June 2024, 10:51   #5195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post

... & having minimal negative offset. After much consideration i went ahead with 18" Fuel Vectors in matt bronze...
So how much negative offset do they have? I ask because I recently upgraded my tires to 285s and they were rubbing on the lower arms at full turn, so had to reluctantly add spacers to move the wheel further out and away. I had to add 1.25 inch (37mm) spacers to accomplish this but I don't believe that's a long term solution from safety perspective.

Secondly, where did you source them from and how much did they cost?

BTW, your ride looks amazing!
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 11:49   #5196
BHPian

Quote:
So how much negative offset do they have? I ask because I recently upgraded my tires to 285s and they were rubbing on the lower arms at full turn, so had to reluctantly add spacers to move the wheel further out and away. I had to add 1.25 inch (37mm) spacers to accomplish this but I don't believe that's a long term solution from safety perspective.

Secondly, where did you source them from and how much did they cost?

BTW, your ride looks amazing!
Thanks fjcruiser08! I too considered getting 1.25 inch Proman spacers initially, keeping in mind a future tyre upgrade to 285's. However, safety is something i was willing to compromise on & ended up going down the more expensive route.

Purchase & installation of these rims were done through Jeep Tyres India, at their store ‘Anand Tyres’ in Milan subway, Mumbai. I got a set of 5 from them at roughly 1.20 lakhs. Fuel rims were initially imported to India & used to sell at a much higher price, they’re now manufactured by Wheels India Ltd and hence priced more competitively.

The specs for these rims as mentioned on the cartons are:
Style: Fuel Vector Set 2
Finish: Bronze
Size: 18x9
PCD: 5x114.3
Offset: 20mm
Hub: 67.1mm

Hope this helps, cheers!
Nair.V8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 13:15   #5197
BHPian

Hi Nairv8,
Those vector rims look gorgeous man. I have a Thar in the same colour and was looking for rims in bronze too. But am yet undecided whether to downsize to 16 inchers. Btw have you retained the original 255/65 AT tyres themselves?
Would like to see your Thar on one of my next visits to Mumbai. Cheers.
Thomas
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 13:56   #5198
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks fjcruiser08! I too considered getting 1.25 inch Proman spacers initially, keeping in mind a future tyre upgrade to 285's. However, safety is something i was willing to compromise on & ended up going down the more expensive route.

Purchase & installation of these rims were done through Jeep Tyres India, at their store ‘Anand Tyres’ in Milan subway, Mumbai. I got a set of 5 from them at roughly 1.20 lakhs. Fuel rims were initially imported to India & used to sell at a much higher price, they’re now manufactured by Wheels India Ltd and hence priced more competitively.

The specs for these rims as mentioned on the cartons are:
Style: Fuel Vector Set 2
Finish: Bronze
Size: 18x9
PCD: 5x114.3
Offset: 20mm
Hub: 67.1mm

Hope this helps, cheers!
Yes, it definitely helps; and thanks for the feedback.

I got the 37mm Proman spacers as an interim solution because the 285's had already been mounted and I didnt have enough time to research and order alloys that would address the problem.

You did the right thing, getting appropriate sized rims was a good call; and no doubt they are the bombdiggity!!!

Looking at the specs though, it seems those have a positive offset? Do these rims protrude out further away from the wheel hub compared to the stock rims? Meaning negative offset? But even if they do, if they only do so by 20mm, it may not solve my problem. Although mine isnt an urgent requirement because the spacers are doing their job in the interim, I need to keep looking for rims that push the wheel out by at least 37mm.

Or maybe someone more knowledgable than I can confirm my understanding that I indeed need rims with a minimum 37mm negative offset.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 15:58   #5199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Nairv8,
Those vector rims look gorgeous man. I have a Thar in the same colour and was looking for rims in bronze too. But am yet undecided whether to downsize to 16 inchers. Btw have you retained the original 255/65 AT tyres themselves?
Would like to see your Thar on one of my next visits to Mumbai. Cheers.
Thomas
Thanks rxpaul, looking forward to meet you in the near future.

Yes I'm using the OEM Ceat 255/65 R18's on these Fuel Vectors. I've driven nearly 1k kms with this setup with a good mix of city/highway/rough-road usage, and I'm perfectly satisfied with the performance. The combination of Ironman shocks & the slightly wider stance offered by these rims makes twisty roads & ghats very entertaining now!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 16:10   #5200
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it definitely helps; and thanks for the feedback.

I got the 37mm Proman spacers as an interim solution because the 285's had already been mounted and I didnt have enough time to research and order alloys that would address the problem.

You did the right thing, getting appropriate sized rims was a good call; and no doubt they are the bombdiggity!!!

Looking at the specs though, it seems those have a positive offset? Do these rims protrude out further away from the wheel hub compared to the stock rims? Meaning negative offset? But even if they do, if they only do so by 20mm, it may not solve my problem. Although mine isn't an urgent requirement because the spacers are doing their job in the interim, I need to keep looking for rims that push the wheel out by at least 37mm.

Or maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm my understanding that I indeed need rims with a minimum 37mm negative offset.
Based on the specs, it does seem like these rims have a positive offset. However, these rims sit noticeably wider than the OEM rims, the wheels now lineup perfectly with the fenders of the Thar (adding a picture below for reference). Maybe someone who's an expert on this topic can throw some light here.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240611_160831152.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 01:43   #5201
BHPian

Quote:
Based on the specs, it does seem like these rims have a positive offset. However, these rims sit noticeably wider than the OEM
Tasteful mod and wheels buddy! Your shade of Thar is one of the rarer ones and I can see how that rim shade spruces it up perfectly. Nothing too flashy, but still as much as one desires.

PS:- I think I've seen your car somewhere. Rides with a Red Thar from Pune (KA registered)? Guy's name starts with J. Am I right?

Cheers,
~NA.
na_agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 10:46   #5202
BANNED

One quick question to current Thar owners:

About the spare wheel. Isn't it a good idea to keep the spare wheel covered under at least water proof cover to keep it safe? Where we live and travel specially in summers, it's pretty hot, wet and at times cold too. How long a brand new tyre will hold temperatures like that for months before it is actually used on one fine day? I don't see many Thars with protective spare wheel covers.
Old 12th June 2024, 17:15   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Tasteful mod and wheels buddy! Your shade of Thar is one of the rarer ones and I can see how that rim shade spruces it up perfectly. Nothing too flashy, but still as much as one desires.

PS:- I think I've seen your car somewhere. Rides with a Red Thar from Pune (KA registered)? Guy's name starts with J. Am I right?

Cheers,
~NA.
Thank you for the compliments, friend of J!
Old 12th June 2024, 17:39   #5204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitthebest View Post
One quick question to current Thar owners:

About the spare wheel. Isn't it a good idea to keep the spare wheel covered under at least water proof cover to keep it safe? Where we live and travel specially in summers, it's pretty hot, wet and at times cold too. How long a brand new tyre will hold temperatures like that for months before it is actually used on one fine day? I don't see many Thars with protective spare wheel covers.
This is an interesting question. In the case of all vehicles with a tailgate mounted spare wheel like the Thar, the spare that lies unused for a prolonged time may be at risk of getting damaged by the sun. As long as the tyres (including the spare) are rotated every once a while, there should be no problem. I've made it a point to rotate all 5 tyres every 10k kms on my Thar.
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 20:37   #5205
BHPian

Hello, T-BHP people. I need suggestions on replacing the convertible top of my thar with a hard-top. I am particularly interested in getting a hard top with a sun-roof. Are there any reliable outlets to get the job done in the Delhi-NCR region?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks