Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2024, 12:42   #5161
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
....this is a known issue in Thar. Just include cleaning the battery with proper alkaline material otherwise it'll start degrading the metal around. I've mentioned this problem few pages back. I faced the same, had to get the battery tray painted because of this.
Thanks for taking time to respond with pictures; I will have it cleaned and also inspect for any damage to the tray/surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Have your vehicles ever been to the body shop of your MASS even if it's briefly/ minor jobs?

I've noticed body shops folks top up the battery fluid without checking/ needing a top-up, resulting in this mess...
Not to my knowledge; but its possible. You cannot put anything past these untrained idiots.
Old 15th May 2024, 13:19   #5162
BHPian

I am looking to install some aux lights on the bumper (aftermarket) of my '21 Thar for offroad use (farm trips). These will be small (3") cubes; a pair of spot beams and a pair of flood beams, so 4 lights 40 W each equaling 160W total draw from the battery. Each pair comes with its own wiring and a physical switch, that would need to be taken into the cabin through the firewall. This last part is what am trying to avoid - to take wires into the cab just for switching the lights on and off.

Has anyone installed a remote switch such that the wiring and the connected receiver all stays withing the engine bay and a key fob like remote controller can then be used from the cab to control the lights? I need to be able to control each pair independently, as in just have the spots on or just the floods, or both together (which I dont ever foresee a need for, but lets roll with it). It would be great if its a dual/multi channel switch so just one fob can control both pairs independently.

Has anyone done this? Is this advisable? How much of a drain would it be on the battery because the receiver is always "listening"? I cant fathom this being any more than the central locking system receiver.

Any suggestions/advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
FJ
Old 15th May 2024, 19:06   #5163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLife View Post
My Thar is due for its first service. Based on your experience, please suggest an appropriate service agency in Noida or Ghaziabad?

Also what is the approximate cost for the first service?
Get it from any MASS. They all have equally untrained personnel. There's not much of a difference. Just go through the service booklet once, it has the service schedule chart which mentions explicitly what needs to be done at 10k service. You don't need to do anything apart from that.

I had paid around 4.9k in December 2022. Yours would be around the same too.

Quote:
Have your vehicles ever been to the body shop of your MASS even if it's briefly/ minor jobs?

I've noticed body shops folks top up the battery fluid without checking/ needing a top-up, resulting in this mess...
They usually fill it till the brim during 1st service but nope, they had removed it last time when I had got the tray painted. This is a known issue in Thar. Go through some previous pages and you'll realise it. Only solution I found for this is to periodically check and clean the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
You cannot put anything past these untrained idiots.
I concur this.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 15:46   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to install some aux lights on the bumper (aftermarket) of my '21 Thar for offroad use (farm trips). These will be small (3") cubes; a pair of spot beams and a pair of flood beams, so 4 lights 40 W each equaling 160W total draw from the battery. Each pair comes with its own wiring and a physical switch, that would need to be taken into the cabin through the firewall. This last part is what am trying to avoid - to take wires into the cab just for switching the lights on and off.

Has anyone installed a remote switch such that the wiring and the connected receiver all stays withing the engine bay and a key fob like remote controller can then be used from the cab to control the lights? I need to be able to control each pair independently, as in just have the spots on or just the floods, or both together (which I dont ever foresee a need for, but lets roll with it). It would be great if its a dual/multi channel switch so just one fob can control both pairs independently.

Has anyone done this? Is this advisable? How much of a drain would it be on the battery because the receiver is always "listening"? I cant fathom this being any more than the central locking system receiver.

Any suggestions/advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
FJ
I have installed Auxbeam Gang Panel Switch. Please read here for more details:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5664714 (Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar)
MithunSathianat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 17:02   #5165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I have installed Auxbeam Gang Panel Switch. Please read here for more details:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5664714 (Initial Ownership Review & Modifications | 2021 Mahindra Thar)
That makes sense for your situation where you are having to pull 5-6 wires into the cab. However, it seems to be an overkill (and pricey) solution for my requirements. Appreciate the feedback though.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 17:04   #5166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Get it from any MASS. They all have equally untrained personnel. There's not much of a difference. Just go through the service booklet once...
Sane advice. Concur!

Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 18:37   #5167

Hey guys!
I own a 2021 Thar P HT manual. I don't know if its a common issue or it only happens to mine, but whenever I take a full lock "U" turn, the front outer tire seems to slip and make a screech sound the whole duration of the full lock. As soon as I start to straighten the steering, the sound fades away. I feel like the Ackerman geometry of the Thar is too extreme, and the tires cant handle the angles of the wheel in full lock. I still drive on stock ceat Czars and have clocked 20k KMS on the odo.
Should I be worried about the sound, or just waive it off as another unique character of the jeep .
Old 17th May 2024, 17:25   #5168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune_Basher View Post
....or just waive it off as another unique character of the jeep .
Any vehicle with tires that have a large enough contact patch would do that... especially on concrete surfaces in parking decks.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 14:12   #5169
BHPian

New colour option for Thar - Deep forest
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1444.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1445.jpeg  

LionX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2024, 15:42   #5170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune_Basher View Post
...but whenever I take a full lock "U" turn, the front outer tire seems to slip and make a screech sound the whole duration of the full lock. As soon as I start to straighten the steering, the sound fades away
Should I be worried about the sound, or just waive it off as another unique character of the jeep .
Quote:
Any vehicle with tires that have a large enough contact patch would do that... especially on concrete surfaces in parking decks.
While what FJ says is correct, there have been instances when the electronic disconnect of the getting axle in 2WD does not.... umm... disconnect the axle

Do a check with MASS just in case
Old 20th May 2024, 11:27   #5171

Quote:
While what FJ says is correct, there have been instances when the electronic disconnect of the getting axle in 2WD does not.... umm... disconnect the axle

Do a check with MASS just in case
Yeah I suspect the same. Long time back I had problems with the lever position sensor of the 4WD lever. Due to which the MID had no Idea if the car was on 4WD Hi/Lo or 2WD Hi. But later the sensor was replaced and the problem is long gone. I guess the problem might have resurfaced and its messing the front axle due to which the tires slip.
But hey, as FJ said might be due to the fat tires too. A friend of mine worked in the steering department and said that the steering geometry and wheel angles in full locks, favoured loose terrain capabilities than paved ones, like it should be .
Old 21st May 2024, 09:44   #5172
BHPian

Has Thar softop been discontinued? I see no mention of it in the variant distribution list on official website. If yes, it will be a huge blow as it truly made the Thar unique and I have been enjoying the open top experience thoroughly since last 2 years with no issues from the softop side.

I see new color introduction. Great paint but sad to see Mahindra slowly doing away with blue and copper options, which looked great too. Thar has such a massive demand, it should have color additions, not replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_8353.jpeg  

Old 21st May 2024, 14:01   #5173
BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone installed wheel spacers on Thar with stock wheels?

I am thinking of getting spacers installed purely to improve stance and aesthetics. I own a 2022 MY Thar and currently i have no plan to upsize the wheels.

What size of spacers work well with sock wheels?

Which brand to consider?

Are there any cons of installing them?

Should I expect any long term damage to suspension or related components due to spacers?

TIA

Last edited by ak10 : 21st May 2024 at 14:09.
Old 21st May 2024, 21:41   #5174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Has Thar softop been discontinued?
On the contrary, I see they have introduced the latest color, Deep Forest, in the Convertible Top version as well. When they introduced White color it was not available for CT. Glad they have introduced it for deep forest.
sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2024, 22:11   #5175
BHPian

Hello,
Any review on 3 in 1 Touring lights for Thar by Vaishnu lights? Looks like a solid set up with projector LED.
17,900 the quote by a local accessories dealer. Claims to be a complete plug and play set up.
Attaching few images. I felt that the DRL is wild and not at all subtle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20240502wa0001.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20240502wa0000.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks