Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2024, 20:21   #5146
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Went ahead and booked Thar Petrol AT (Earth Edition) end of March. I thought this being limited edition would be available readily however proven wrong. The booking document states 3 months, however the advisor is confident to get the delivery within 2 months.
Old 8th May 2024, 14:41   #5147
BHPian

Has anyone had to replace their Thar's OEM battery yet? Mine is a Feb 2021 Diesel and I recently noticed the battery looks like shite, like its leaked or something and there's a lot of corrosion around. Although everything works just fine and there are no signs of degradation from a functional perspective; am wondering maybe its time for a replacement, or if its coming up soon?

Furthermore, has anyone upgraded their Thar's battery to a larger capacity? What can the alternator support? I am running that small under-seat Sony subwoofer (75W) and also installed a pair of aftermarket fogs (92W total), and am thinking of adding a couple aux lamps - 160W total (I almost dread getting late leaving the farm because the OEM headlights are worthless and the fogs are for rain/fog). So am wondering how much of an aux load can I add to the OEM alternator-battery set up without causing it to burn down the truck. And, if there was an easy upgrade path available when it comes to replacing the battery?

Any insights and feedback is much appreciated.

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 8th May 2024 at 14:44. Reason: added wattage for the sony sub
Old 8th May 2024, 14:52   #5148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
I recently noticed the battery looks like shite, like its leaked or something and there's a lot of corrosion around.
I think the battery was topped up with distilled water during any service.

Quote:
Furthermore, has anyone upgraded their Thar's battery to a larger capacity? What can the alternator support?
AFAIK, the new Thar alternator current rating is 120A, which roughly translates to support 120x12= 1440W max. electrical load. Deduct some wattage (500W to be on the safer side) for normal vehicle operation at a given time. Yet the alternator has enough juice left to support the accessories.

You can easily replace it with a slightly higher-capacity battery without any problem if the tray can accommodate it.
Blooming Flower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 15:05   #5149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
I think the battery was topped up with distilled water during any service.

AFAIK, the new Thar alternator current rating is 120A, which roughly translates to support 120x12= 1440W max. electrical load. Deduct some wattage (500W to be on the safer side) for normal vehicle operation at a given time. Yet the alternator has enough juice left to support the accessories.

You can easily replace it with a slightly higher-capacity battery without any problem if the tray can accommodate it.
Nope, the battery has never been topped up as far as I know. Not sure how/why its corroded.

But, going by your assessment, it sounds like the 75 + 92 + 160 = 327W aux load isn't gonna blow the thing up! That's good to know.

And am curious to know if anyone is successfully (read: without issues for months) running a larger capacity battery in the stock tray.
Old 8th May 2024, 15:54   #5150
BHPian

Quote:

And am curious to know if anyone is successfully (read: without issues for months) running a larger capacity battery in the stock tray.
I wish to know why to replace it with a higher capacity battery. It will only give you more number of cranks. The maximum electrical load from combined usage cannot exceed the alternator's rated current lest the battery gets discharged, and a small-capacity battery can also handle the same load but will discharge quicker. Even the high-power-rated electrical winches run on the stock battery and alternator setup without any issues.

There are better options like upgrading the alternator and dual battery set-up with an isolator switch if your electrical load demand is higher than what is mentioned before.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2024, 16:02   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooming Flower View Post
....small-capacity battery can also handle the same load but will discharge quicker....
Just to have a better buffer in case am drawing power when the engine/alternator is not powering it... or am I mistaken?
Old 8th May 2024, 16:29   #5152
BHPian

There is a constant clicking/Knocking sound from the rear right in my 2021 Thar. I get this sound mostly on pretty much flat roads and there is no pattern to it. Someday I get it for almost through out the day while other days there is no sound. This is me driving ~70kmph on Gurgaon Delhi Highway and this noise didn't stop for the next 2hours.

Old 8th May 2024, 20:52   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
There is a constant clicking/Knocking sound from the rear right in my 2021 Thar. I get this sound mostly on pretty much flat roads and there is no pattern to it. Someday I get it for almost through out the day while other days there is no sound. This is me driving ~70kmph on Gurgaon Delhi Highway and this noise didn't stop for the next 2hours.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=4YzOF-r7-gw
Man, never drive a jeep without music.
You can't figure all the rattles ever. It's whack a mole game.

Btw, this rattle is due to air outlet flap which is just behind your spare wheel, inside the boot.

Perhaps the reason they've added one more of this and shifted existing one tad bit to the right. This time they've added mesh too on the vent unlike ours.
batish is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 15:40   #5154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Man, never drive a jeep without music.
I guess there is a reason the speakers are placed right over our head 😂

I have attached my boot pic. Can you tell me where I will find the flap? Thanks for your help, Mahindra service center is pretty clueless about this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1981.jpeg  

vellatechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 20:28   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
I had the same noise, just recently and turns out that it was some bolt around the roll cage, which was causing the issue. And I would get this noise only on broken patches. Two guys from service center checked it, one wasn't driving and the other one was closely trying to narrow down the root cause. Get it checked.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2024, 20:57   #5156
BHPian

Thanks! I'll get the roll cage checked as well.

And just yesterday, I started getting another funky sound around the right speaker. Gotta get that checked as well

Last edited by vellatechie : 11th May 2024 at 20:58.
Old 12th May 2024, 20:17   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
I guess there is a reason the speakers are placed right over our head 😂
You're right, this is the reason why speakers are placed on our heads.

Quote:
I have attached my boot pic. Can you tell me where I will find the flap? Thanks for your help, Mahindra service center is pretty clueless about this issue.
Yes, it is just behind this panel. You'll get it from this picture. It is visible from outside. Just look behind the spare wheel.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-001.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-002.jpg

Quote:
Has anyone had to replace their Thar's OEM battery yet?
Not yet.

Quote:
Mine is a Feb 2021 Diesel and I recently noticed the battery looks like shite, like its leaked or something and there's a lot of corrosion around. Although everything works just fine and there are no signs of degradation from a functional perspective; am wondering maybe its time for a replacement, or if its coming up soon?
Sir, this is a known issue in Thar. Just include cleaning the battery with proper alkaline material otherwise it'll start degrading the metal around. I've mentioned this problem few pages back. I faced the same, had to get the battery tray painted because of this.

This is how the battery looks today. Mine is March 2022 model.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-003.jpg
batish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2024, 11:35   #5158
BHPian

Need some help and information.
What waiting period are dealers quoting for Thar HT Petrol 4x4 Automatic, in Gurgaon ? Red color. Many thanks!
Old 14th May 2024, 16:01   #5159
BHPian

Seeking Help

Hi Team

My Thar is due for its first service. Based on your experience, please suggest an appropriate service agency in Noida or Ghaziabad?

Also what is the approximate cost for the first service?

Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 12:05   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the battery has never been topped up as far as I know. Not sure how/why its corroded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

This is how the battery looks today. Mine is March 2022 model.
Have your vehicles ever been to the body shop of your MASS even if it's briefly/ minor jobs?

I've noticed body shops folks top up the battery fluid without checking/ needing a top-up, resulting in this mess...
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks