Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 11:41   #5086
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

So I rammed into one of those pillars in a parking garage (yeah, stupid me) and broke the left "ear" (?) on the front bumper of my 2021 Thar (it has the two tone bumper). It's not completely fallen off and on the ground but ripped/tore like cardboard (which is what I guess it's designed to do) and scrapes against the tire when I turn right. The fog lamp still works.

Anyway, so now I need to decide whether to get an OEM bumper or one of those aftermarket metal bumpers. If the cost involved is similar, I might as well try a metal bumper. Does anyone have any idea how much an OEM bumper replacement costs? Should this kinda repair/replacement be done using insurance? I ask because I do not have any experience; it's my first time. I do have the requisite insurance and extended warranty etc.

Also, what is the consensus here on the quality of aftermarket metal/offroading bumpers? I recall someone stating that metal bumpers do not necessarily thwart the airbag deployment mechanism. Does anyone have any experience regarding this?

Any recommendations/advice regarding aftermarket brands?

I was looking up some bumpers and came across a brand named Proman; their bumper looks really slick (minus the branding) and well made. Has anyone here installed it? I couldn't find a way to reach out to them, so it'd be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your feedback.

P.S. While am at it, I might as well get a better looking radiator grill. Something that's well made and doesn't rattle or look cheesy. Also, is there anything else I might as well get done in that front area while it's being worked on already? Any worthy additions? Any plug-n-play fog lamps? Please feel free to suggest.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:26   #5087
Senior - BHPian

Is a 3 door facelift in the works, any news or rumors related to this?

https://www.rushlane.com/2024-mahind...-12481359.html

As per this article a new version of the 3 door has been homologated with 11mm increase in height, suggesting a sun roof probably?
ms001 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 21:31   #5088
BHPian

I have a Rocky Beige 2021 HT Thar Petrol AT with a stock wheel/suspension.

As of today, I have driven about 20,000 and I was thinking about installing a ProMan 2-inch lift kit: https://automods.in/product/proman-2...-2020-onwards/

and replacing the springs from the latest Thar since I read that newer Thar has a better ride.

I was also thinking about wrapping the hardtop part with a matte black wrap.

Any feedback or suggestions on these mods? Thanks.

Last edited by vellatechie : 18th March 2024 at 21:33.
Old 21st March 2024, 07:18   #5089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Anyway, so now I need to decide whether to get an OEM bumper or one of those aftermarket metal bumpers. If the cost involved is similar, I might as well try a metal bumper. Does anyone have any idea how much an OEM bumper replacement costs? Should this kinda repair/replacement be done using insurance? I ask because I do not have any experience; it's my first time. I do have the requisite insurance and extended warranty etc.
Please do not go for a metal bumper in the front, I would suggest, due to pedestrian safety. The OEM bumper is cheap usually. I had to replace my rear bumper and it was not that costly. If memory is correct it costed less than 10k. For rear, there are Bimbra and other options and it's ok to go for a metal one. For the grill also Bimbra has Wrangler style 7 slot designs. Many admire this design in my Thar and warrants a second look almost all the time. FRP and ABS options are available. These costs around 7-12k (forgot the brand name of mine) depending upon the quality. Black grill looks class in any color of Thar than body color including white. Bimbra has a great collection of accessories for any 4WD. Do PM and I'll share the pdf or you can go to their website and check. I'm not related to BImbra btw. Proman seems to have some good accessories off late.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 13:40   #5090

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5380.jpg

Hey everyone, My Thar experience has started on a sour note. Somewhere on this thread I came across someone say 'Great car , bad service' and this seems to be the case with me too.

So let me explain , my Thar was scheduled to go for the RTO Process last Thursday and delivered on the subsequent Saturday. All these dates had been been pre-decided as my parents are a bit sentimental about auspicious date, time,etc. I had also booked a special number and had gotten it allotted prior to registration. However on friday I get a call from the ASR stating that the vehicle was rejected by the RTO for registration as there were some approvals from the manufacturers side missing. I was first annoyed but then also confused. How can a 4 year old model not have necessary approvals in place. I immediately asked him to send a mail to the company requesting the same and to keep me on copy. PFB the issue with the approval

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20240321-1.14.07-pm.png

Later in the evening i get a call from the showroom manager saying Mahindra got back that the necessary approvals would take 10 to 15 days . He then sensing my heightened annoyance offered to get the car delivered in the originally decided date and time with a red number plate and For registration stickers.

After mulling over this for a bit i reluctantly decided to go head with the delivery as I did not want my car to sit in the Yard for another two weeks . I am not sure if this was the correct decision but it felt safer to me at that time.

So now I have the car i wanted sitting in my parking and not able to do anything with or to it. All the modification plans are now on hold as the car has to be in stock condition for the registration.

Has something like this ever happen to anyone here, or heard of something similar? How can Mahindra even dispatch a car to the dealer without the necessary approvals in place. Through all this the attitude of the dealer has been very poor to say the least.
Scarface1506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 07:25   #5091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface1506 View Post
Attachment 2585231

Hey everyone, My Thar experience has started on a sour note. Somewhere on this thread I came across someone say 'Great car , bad service' and this seems to be the case with me too.
Congratulations on the purchase. Do not worry. This is just a process. But please check and find out what exactly is the issue. This is very strange and not reported here yet. Just enjoy the car for now as this used to be the case for all of us few years back right? Let them resolve it but keep calling the dealer everyday and push. One must-have for Thar is to do an underbody anti rust coating immediately. Thar underbody isn't the best place for salty water (especially for people close to the beach) to enter and rusts like hell. So, before everything please do this.
Old 22nd March 2024, 09:17   #5092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Please do not go for a metal bumper in the front,
Hey, thanks for the feedback. The vehicle is mostly used on country/dirt roads and hardly in cities/populated areas. And am a very sedate and defensive driver (if I can say so after banging into a goddamn pillar LOL).

That said, it may be an unpopular opinion but I kinda wonder, given the Indian conditions (roads, speeds, pedestrians, etc.), how big of a factor the material of the bumper would be in an unfortunate human-bumper encounter?!

Anyway, I did reach out to the M&M dealership and the service manager said getting it replaced out-of-pocket is advisable because it would cost 5K including labor. And if I were to go the insurance route, the "insurance processing fees" alone would be 2K. I think the choice would be a no brainer here, but that fee sounds outrageous to fill out a claim form, isn't that a rip off?!?!

Nevertheless, am still contemplating the Proman bumper install and also considering the Maxxis Bravo 980 AT in 285/60/r18 size. But am not sure if those would be too fat for the wheel wells and if they would scrape against anything at full lock on a stock vehicle? It would be great if someone could chime in on this.
Old 22nd March 2024, 18:04   #5093
e46
BHPian

Thar total loss | Manufacturing defect? | Insurance report

Bumped into this video while browsing YT and this sure needs to be shared and read. Thar catches fire, insurance company blame game starts (manufacturing fault, aftermarket dashcam...)

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2024 at 12:14. Reason: Adding a small explanation of what the video is about - thanks for sharing!
e46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 23:36   #5094
Bit
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is to inform all prospective buyers about a silent update by Mahindra in 2024 Thar.

I had just bought a Thar in black color and had noticed that the exact name of the color was changed from Napoli black (which has been there since its launch) to Stealth Black in 2024. Had asked in this thread if anyone know what this new color is, but didn't receive any response.

Now that I checked first hand, the Stealth Black is a metallic black color with golden pearls in it. You might remember some cars from yesteryear with the color name "Pearl Black". It's close to that. The pearl effect is most visible under sunlight.

Although this makes it more beautiful (opinions might be divided though. Some people might prefer the classic, solid black) but at the same time, it makes it even more dust prone than ever, thus require more maintenance to keep it free from even basic dust.

Do check yourself in the showroom under direct sunlight before triggering to buy the 2024 black thar to know if it indeed is your taste.
Bit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 23:45   #5095
BHPian

Been having an issue over 6 months now with one of the tyres losing pressure very slowly. I set all tyres to 34psi and the front left starts losing pressure 1-2 psi every week. The tpms starts warning that the tyre is at 28psi while the rest are at 31-32 psi. Have done standard puncture tests at a couple of tyre shops but no luck yet to find from where the pressure is getting lost. They checked by spraying soap water all over the tyre, the rim edges and the neck. But no luck.

Any thoughts on how to resolve?
Old 25th March 2024, 05:21   #5096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post

I have been having this same issue. I got the tyre checked at 3 different tyre shops. I switched 3 different places to fill air. Took it to service station where they checked for a puncture Or a leak. Checked the sensor. No culprit was found but the issue still persists.

I have learnt to live with the problem now instead of losing sleep over it. I just fill up air when the alert pops up.
Cheers
Old 25th March 2024, 09:29   #5097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
Been having an issue over 6 months now with one of the tyres losing pressure very slowly. I set all tyres to 34psi and the front left starts losing pressure 1-2 psi every week. The tpms starts warning that the tyre is at 28psi while the rest are at 31-32 psi. Have done standard puncture tests at a couple of tyre shops but no luck yet to find from where the pressure is getting lost. They checked by spraying soap water all over the tyre, the rim edges and the neck. But no luck.

You may have to go to a place where they can immerse the tyre in a tub and test it, they may need to pump it upto 40+ PSi and see if they can see any leaks. Surely it would have warranty coverage as well so you can also ask the OEM to check and either repair or replace the tire.

Please request the tyre shop to unmount the tire from the wheel and inspect it, perhaps it's the valve itself that is leaking air and not the tire. In either case it needs to be fixed.
Old 25th March 2024, 20:43   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
This is to inform all prospective buyers about a silent update by Mahindra in 2024 Thar.
I had booked a THAR last November and my color choice was Aquamarine. Dealer informed me in the beginning of this month that Aquamarine is no more available and I had to choose some other color and have to give a request in writing for the change! On checking M&Ms Website I realized what the Dealer said was true. My next choice was Black and again I noticed a change here, Napoli Black was silently changed to Stealth Black.

Gave a request for the change and on the same day my preferred color changed in the Booking Docket.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th March 2024 at 18:13. Reason: Broken quote tag.
jgsolo27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 00:05   #5099
Bit
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Gave a request for the change and on the same day my preferred color changed in the Booking Docket.
So what was your color changed to? Napoli Black? If it's the case then make sure it's a 2024 Model because my dealer informed me that Mahindra has stopped Napoli Black in 2024 and only stealth black is coming.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th March 2024 at 18:13. Reason: Broken quote tag.
Old 27th March 2024, 21:11   #5100
BHPian

I found out the hard way that early batch/es of the Thar (2020/21) had issues with suspension components scraping on upsized tyres (this, am being told, was corrected later on by M&M in subsequent runs). Anyway, so I put in 285/60/r18s on stock alloys today and they scrape on the lower arms upon lock to lock steering. Long story short, am stuck with the 285's now and am looking for the least intrusive solution to make these work. I am reluctant to install aftermarket spacers and mess with the suspension geometry, but if there's no other solution to this (am really hoping someone here suggests me one) and I am forced to go the spacers route, what's the best product out there?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks