Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2024, 09:46   #5056
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post

1) My petrol manual Thar gives me a mileage in 6.7...basically 300kms on a full tank. This seems to be very unusual among other owners. Even automatics and heavily modified heavier ones are getting better mileage. Whether it is highway or city driving, my figured seem to be unchanged..always under 7kmpl. I suspect that there is some unknown issue. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Is it a tuning issue? I want to get it checked with the SC but I'm not sure what to tell them considering the thar generally has bad mileage.
Hi, i have petrol Automatic RWD and i get about 7.4 tank to tank method for city driving. and on highway driving i got about 11.5 KM/Ltr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post

2) I want to change my stock headlight bulb to more powerful one. I don't want to change the whole light itself. Just the bulb. I know about the Philips one. Any newer or better ones? Looking for something that also will not blind the oncoming traffic.
After lot of research and videos, i got Osram LED 4300K 50W each (100W for both bulbs). This is good color and fairly bright for road. I was exploring night breakers but realised they are about Rs2000 and their life is lesser compared to LEDs. I paid about Rs. 5800 including installation at a dealer in chandigarh. I couldnt get Osram 4300K LEDs 50W each anywhere in Delhi NCR so got them from chandigarh. I am happy for so far.
jimmzbond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 11:37   #5057
BHPian

Need some help!

I've been facing some issues with my petrol manual Thar. Twice, it has went into limp mode, vibrates like an old tractor and the following codes pop up.

During my first complaint, ASC changed the spark plug but the issue returned again within a week.

Now, they are planning to change the engine head gasket and have placed an order but it has been 10 days and there is no progress.

No one at ASC is bothered and this is adding to my frustration. Is there a way to escalate it to someone higher up outside of the ASC?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20240215_230037_torque.jpg  

daf23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2024, 12:15   #5058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Need some help!

No one at ASC is bothered and this is adding to my frustration. Is there a way to escalate it to someone higher up outside of the ASC?
I've never owned a M&M vehicle, go to the ASC and you should have a board with the name and number+email of the Mahindra manager, for your area, call him and apprise him of your problem, also call up the customer care and register your complaint.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2024, 15:19   #5059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
During my first complaint, ASC changed the spark plug but the issue returned again within a week.

Did you also have the ignition coil changed along with the spark plug?

I had the same issue. It was the ignition coil in my case.
Old 25th February 2024, 19:59   #5060
BHPian

I was looking at the service cost calculator and observed that the petrol Thar’s service is a lot more expensive than the diesel, specially the labor costs. Keen to understand what could be the reason.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5030.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5029.jpeg
Tourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 12:05   #5061
Bit
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I was looking at the service cost calculator and observed that the petrol Thar’s service is a lot more expensive than the diesel, specially the labor costs. Keen to understand what could be the reason.

Attachment 2576364

Attachment 2576365
That is one interesting observation. A slight variation is acceptable but this is almost double in labour costs. Especially when the common knowledge says it's the other way around (Diesel maintenance is higher, petrol is cheaper).

Are the quotations from the APP correct or could be outdated/indicative. Have you confirmed the same from the service center?
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 14:06   #5062
BHPian

Please list the jobs performed before making such a comparison. For instance, spark plugs could be a part of the petrol but definitely not applicable to diesel.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20240226_140415_mahindra-you.jpg

Meanwhile if anyone has any idea about the H4 Osram 50W LEDs (4300K) - packaging, listing, warranty, distributor ; please let us know. I'm now using Mtrax after using Zapco - the M-Trax has a better cut-off but the Zapco had much better color index, I'm sure.

Last edited by wooka : 26th February 2024 at 14:07.
Old 26th February 2024, 14:29   #5063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Meanwhile if anyone has any idea about the H4 Osram 50W LEDs (4300K) - packaging, listing, warranty, distributor ; please let us know. I'm now using Mtrax after using Zapco - the M-Trax has a better cut-off but the Zapco had much better color index, I'm sure.
Use full replacement LED headlamp assembly like GTO and others like Nair.V8 has. I think they imported it from Australia, but now it maybe available with local accessories shops as well.

Will the H4 LEDs be able to manage the heat and work for long hours reliably while maintaining full light output?! I doubt.
Old 26th February 2024, 16:22   #5064
BHPian

I would but the thing is that quality aftermarket H4 last really long. They outlast halogen by miles. I have yet to notice any tangible measurable drop that is spoken of oft.

Also, if user replaceable or if bright, I'll just reuse the LEDs from the incoming thar 5D.

By the way does anyone know if this site / product is reliable? https://auxbeam.in/products/3-inch-1...projector-lens

P. S. : I'm not spending anything over 15k on headlights from here. There I'll be upgrades to port over from the 5D to the 3D thar. One must cap their jeep expenses, or so I keep telling myself!

Last edited by wooka : 26th February 2024 at 16:23.
Old 26th February 2024, 18:11   #5065
BANNED

Quote:

By the way does anyone know if this site / product is reliable? https://auxbeam.in/products/3-inch-1...projector-lens
The site is legit. Bought a light bar from them for the tractor at the farm.
Cannot say anything about the specific product in your link but their lightbars and light pods are quite good for the price. I have had the 3-inch lightpods on my FJ for over 2 years and they are still good to date.
nightfury95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 18:18   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would but the thing is that quality aftermarket H4 last really long. They outlast halogen by miles. I have yet to notice any tangible measurable drop that is spoken of oft.
Did you check the data sheet of Osram? Not sure if new models have come but the 'Offroad' or non legal versions were at ~ 25 W and 1900Lm output , which is about 100Lm more than a 100 Rupees Philips bulb. The road legal versions were even lesser.

Given the poor beam pattern and possible thermal throttling of their output once heated up - use Philips in a Hella or Lucas reflector along with Philips bulb - even if you have to change the bulbs every year , it's still extremely cheap.

Talk to your friends in Mahindra and see if Lumax has already started producing the assembly for 5 Door, that should be around 21 W atleast with perfect beam pattern for our roads.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 22:12   #5067
BHPian

Quote:

Also, if user replaceable or if bright, I'll just reuse the LEDs from the incoming thar 5D.

P. S. : I'm not spending anything over 15k on headlights from here. There I'll be upgrades to port over from the 5D to the 3D thar. One must cap their jeep expenses, or so I keep telling myself!
Haha man! I feel your sentiment.

I am too holding off on accessories till 5D comes along. Two upgrades I'm thinking about, Steering wheel and LED lamps. Although I am quite happy with Hella ones, still would love to try OEM. Mahindra please make it backward compatible to 3 Door Thar and price the spares sensibly.

I know you are reading this, please don't make it atrocious. Also Mahindra, your steering wheel is pathetic in terms of quality. NOT AT ALL WORTH IT FOR THE PRICE THIS JEEP COMMANDS. Extremely shabby and cheap material. I'd say worse than yesteryear Marutis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Talk to your friends in Mahindra and see if Lumax has already started producing the assembly for 5 Door, that should be around 21 W atleast with perfect beam pattern for our roads.
If you guys find anything about it, please include me in.

Last edited by batish : 26th February 2024 at 22:14.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 13:23   #5068
BHPian

Honestly, the horn pad is pretty lame. You have to center your hand on it or press pretty hard. When the wife drives she really ignores the horn altogether. The one on the scorpio N is slightly better but not in a big way.

Batish, you'll have to check out a few things -

1. The steering angle sensor is in the clockspring so one can only hope it's drop in compatible.

2. The airbag as well. I'd rather someone else do it and I'll take notes. Just like what I'm doing with the scorpio N front camera on a Z8 - there's a harness floating around but I'd rather sit it out for a bit.

3. The headlight should be compatible. There's enough room behind the 3D headlight for a sealed LED housing. The icing on the cake will be if it has a user-replaceable bulb. I am afraid I think it'll cost a bomb. The Scorpio N headlight is 15k when the much larger (including DRL) xuv 700 is about 12k. Spares is where the money is at. Even the center speaker grill is about 9k I think. It's probably worth 500 rupees BOM, just to stop people from 'upgrading' their lower (spelt 'more VFM') variants. Knowing well that tens of thousands of thar 3D owners will buy the LED headlight, I expect it to be about 10k a lamp if it's a sealed housing.

4. The grill - it looks mildly better but then there are much better grills available aftermarket today. If I really feel the need to swap, I'll get a fresh replacement from a store for less, surely.

5. The radiator and misc engine bay fittings - this I will be very keenly looking at! When speaking to MnM folk last year, there were two things I really wanted to get once solved - better radiator placement and a waterproof of-sorts starter motor. The 5D should have them. Let's see who gets this done first, and then I will follow suit. I do not think it will cost the sky ~ maybe 50k~1L based on what we scope on doing, and the vehicle should be more robust as a result.

6. Rear wiper washer. If the hinges and glass etc is similar, this is an absolute must-have. A major safety lapse esp when driving (even solo) in the rains when the glass cakes on a lot of mud.

7. Better reverse / potential front or 360 camera and the stereo system. My stereo is still a mess. Android disconnects all the time and the only way I've got stability is using an AI box like Phoenix recommended. That's wireless. I want wired since I cannot run my 5G phone Hotspot for office work on the move if I use wireless android auto. This is after two stereo replacements and the IP wiring replacement.

8. Potentially, an improved set of springs and shocks. I know the mounts will be different but you never know what can be done aftermarket. Dr Nano is only a mild improvement over stock and the 4WD shocks and springs are still tuned to handle 6 passengers (since the that originally launched with optional 2+4 seating options). Maybe Dhanush corrects me here.

9. A better set of sunshades, please! The current ones flap around and make a racket.

10. A better brake light and connector concealers (as are available aftermarket for the Jimny on Amazon.)

11. Rear disc brakes please, if they can be ported over!

12. Better AC vents?

Who knows, maybe they refresh the 3D with similar upgrades 6 months down the line.

@mods, maybe we start another thread on the 5D to 3D thar part porting.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 17:20   #5069
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra has launched the Thar 'Earth Edition' priced from Rs 15.40 lakh (ex-showroom) onwards.

It gets a special matte 'Desert Fury' paint finish and will be available only on the 4x4 versions of the SUV.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_1709034395370.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20240227171905_x.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240227_171908.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240227_171959.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 17:58   #5070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

6. Rear wiper washer. If the hinges and glass etc is similar, this is an absolute must-have. A major safety lapse esp when driving (even solo) in the rains when the glass cakes on a lot of mud.

11. Rear disc brakes please, if they can be ported over!

@mods, maybe we start another thread on the 5D to 3D thar part porting.
1. The whole thing with the wiper washer is that there needs to be a proper channel for the wiring and the tubing to come along from the front to the rear. This is a fiddly job and am not sure it can quite as easily be retro fitted or ‘ported’.
2. The disc brakes have a whole lot of other things connected, the sensors and the programming and the actual parts themselves. I do, like you ‘hope’ this can be ‘ported’. But again I am not sure. This is a dangerous thing to DIY or allow someone in an FNG to do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks