Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 10:55   #5011
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Did anyone face this issue which I have twice already with my Thar's rear sensor. It does not recognise things which are closer to the left rear wheel. When I reverse, I can not see it in the rear view camera obviously, and it does not get detected by the sensor as well. My driver has scratched the rear wheel cladding against the lamp post in the night and he says he did not get the warning from the sensor for some reason. Just to check before raising this issue to the service center or I am planning to add two more sensors in the corners.

Also, anybody has any experience adding front sensors as DYI? Is it possible first of all? I assume it will be ON all the time, and that is what I would like to have. There is difficulty in judging the front due to the bumper and bonnet height. Just to make things a bit more livable with Thar.

Last edited by sgmuser : 4th February 2024 at 10:56. Reason: typos
Old 4th February 2024, 12:09   #5012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The 4OO has one, and in all probability, it'll be a shared parts bin. See if you can get your hands on just the mirror and see if you can mount in on the same mount...
Sadly the listing for 400 is not live on boodmo (has the regular physical toggle only) and the only option is the 300. Now I doubt the 300 will be a good fit cause it's an imported car afterall. Regardless, it's pretty expensive! I can get 4 maruti spares in the amount!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20240204_120611_boodmo.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20240204_120048_chrome.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20240204_120137_chrome.jpg
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 09:14   #5013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Yes, on the radar. However I am keen to see MnM launch their auto mirror since they just did for the 700. It's bound to come to the N next.
The Auto mirrors in 700 are the orvm and not irvm. The orvms are now mapped to driver seat memory position so that driver doesn't hv to adjust orvm according to his position.
700 irvm is still manual toggle type for day/night.
And ScorpioN doesn't have memory seat for Z8L

Last edited by yadavsid21 : 5th February 2024 at 09:16.
Old 5th February 2024, 11:14   #5014
BHPian

Oh no! I thought they got a dimming IRVM to the 700. Was I mistaken! All the more I shall take up this endeavor then. Frankly I could have dremeled the upper part of the Maruti mirror with ease and thereby reduced the mounting height. I'll look at the other options with compact mounts as well. Looks like the Tata kit isn't too bad.
Old 5th February 2024, 12:39   #5015
BHPian

Hi,

My Thar had a scrape on the driver's side and the metal panel behind the door was to supposed to be changed as per the communication from the dealer.

They returned the car after 1 month and the work done was too shabby. I tried reaching out to mahindra on their customer care number and after multiple complaints also nobody bothered to do anything about it.

The dealer took the car back and gave it after a few days. Now after a month the superficial polish has come off and it is very clearly visible that they have not replaced the panel but may have claimed it under insurance.

The paint work done is too bad with bubbles showing everywhere and other parts also getting sprayed partially due to improper masking.

What should I do in this case? The dealer Somya at Indore is incapable and Mahindra doesnt seem to be bothered because all their cars have a long waiting period.

SHould i approach the consumer court? or should i ask the insurance company to inspect my car if the parts claimed have actually been replaced or not?
abhinavsureka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 18:25   #5016
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a good friend is getting ready to take delivery of his Thar in a week's time. Three and one questions:

1. How good is the dealer provided Rear camera ?
2. Can we use anything else ? Dealer says anything taken outside will not be compatible. If yes, which one ?
3. What are the basic accessories that we can get from the dealer ?

4. Is the front windshield able to reduce UV - like with Maruti's UV cut glass ? Or do we go for sunfilm ?

Last edited by condor : 5th February 2024 at 18:50.
Old 5th February 2024, 18:36   #5017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, a good friend is getting ready to take delivery of his Thar in a week's time. Three questions:

2. Can we use anything else ? Dealer says anything taken outside will not be compatible.
Will try to answer these:

1. The dealer provided camera is is average as far as I know. I did not opt for it.

2. You can use a IRVM unit. The 70 MAI one is good. That comes with a dash camera as well. Front and back. I will be adding this to my Thar soon.

3. They do have some packs I remember. You could check those out. I would suggest floor mats and the spare wheel cover. Not too fond of the chrome stuff they offer.
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 19:37   #5018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, a good friend is getting ready to take delivery of his Thar in a week's time. Three and one questions:

2. Can we use anything else ? Dealer says anything taken outside will not be compatible. If yes, which one ?

4. Is the front windshield able to reduce UV - like with Maruti's UV cut glass ? Or do we go for sunfilm ?

1. The dealer provided rear camera is average at best. And since its integrated to the Touch Screen, it requires dismantling of the dash. Better to not opt for it. I did not

2. As suggested by Dippy, go for the front and back dash cam with rear camera function. Many options of which 70mai is well known and supposed to be good.

3. Along with the mats, do check and get the rear arm rests. The company ones are very well made and elevate the rear ambience up a few notches. Also provides utility to rear passengers with cup holders, storage underneath the arm rest and charging ports.

4. The glass does not feel like it can reduce the heat/UV. I have gone with sunfilm.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:27   #5019
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

2. As suggested by Dippy, go for the front and back dash cam with rear camera function. Many options of which 70mai is well known and supposed to be good.
Wouldn’t the dash/reverse cam too require the dashboard to be open? How else would it display the reverse gear footage?
Old 6th February 2024, 11:37   #5020
BHPian

Quote:

Go for the HD camera from the showroom itself. It's better than the non-HD. Also it requires a software update from the cotech which takes few hours. Never heard in my lifetime for any other brand and it's no suprise as it's Mahindra.

As for the accessories, nothing else is mandatory to have. All can be had from outside, like the under body protection (radiator and fuel tank). There are better quality ones from Bimbra or Aarka. You can also go for front and rear bumpers (check legal requirements) which I believe is required as I personally had few hits here and there. These should not deviate your warranty requirements as it's all mechanical.

Many go for hand rests and I believe it's a must especially in the front. But I would suggest to do this with a proper outside shop who knows a thing or two about it and to do it really well so that it does not squeek later. Another ergo issue with Thar is a grab handle to get in. You may want one but do not go for those metal rod that's bent. It's too close to the driver or passengers head in case of abrupt braking and can cause serious injury.

No experience with the last one though. I never had any specific issue with the wind screen but the older ones had cracking problems. Mahindra might have increased the glass rigidness rating or might have added some extra cushioning in the mounts.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 19:35   #5021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Wouldn’t the dash/reverse cam too require the dashboard to be open? How else would it display the reverse gear footage?
The footage is displayed in the rear view mirror itself. The unit comes with a display which is mounted on the inside rear view mirror and this display acts as rear view mirror as well as reverse cam when reverse gear is engaged.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 09:17   #5022
Senior - BHPian

Some dealers in India have started selling Tough Dog suspension for the Thar. In Australia, Tough Dog is rated better than some of the other renowned brands. Any reviews ?
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 11:38   #5023
BHPian

So I have been researching about the tough dog as well. The guys offered me 4 years unconditional warranty. The technology seems to be similar to ironman foam cell.
What I gather from the Australian pages is that it comes with 9 step adjustable damper and each level changes the suspension settings by 100%. That IMO is huge! Now I am not sure yet if they are offering the adjustable suspension for the Thar. Something similar to AVO, these guys don’t have the suspension in stock and it could take weeks to months.
I spoke to someone in Chandigarh and one in Bangalore. The guy in Chandigarh told me that tough dog is offering foam cell at the back and nitro gas based shockers in the front without adjustable dampers. This setup gives a lift of 40 mm or 2 inches overall. They both have contradicting statements about changing the alloy wheels and adding spacers, one said it’s not necessary. The other said you will have to get spacers or change the alloys. But I am sure about one thing that once the suspension is changed it will affect the camber and caster of the vehicle.

Other suspension setups available in the market are
ARC - I was told here on the forum that the difference is marginal from stock. But now they have springs for the back and I am assuming the ride quality would be better than before.
IRONMAN - what I hear is that they are good for off-roading and slow speed ride quality is not that great. On road performance is also ok. They come with springs and shockers and usage based suspension setups as they have foam cell and nitro both.
MMG- i don’t know much about this
Others please enlighten us if I have missed out on any other brands
Hope this helps

Last edited by 13thpsycho : 9th February 2024 at 11:41. Reason: Better explaination
Old 10th February 2024, 05:03   #5024
Senior - BHPian

My Thar and its twin babies.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5441.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5442.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5448.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5476.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_5444.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th February 2024 at 05:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 01:09   #5025
BHPian

Quote:
The front windshield is laminated with a layer of plastic, making it 99% UV proof as it is. However, the side glasses aren't. You should maybe focus on them! 80% clear zero tint is available from multiple brands. Even 90% will do. Any layer of plastic on the side glasses will make the car virtually UV proof.

The question is - do you want to do the rear glass as well? Since it will be a borderline dead giveaway die cops to mess with your peace in life. It's is easier to spot a car with the rear glass tinted than the side glasses. I am assuming give this information above, that you'll skip on the windshield.
-------
About lifts and camber caster - MnM may refuse to help. I had to get caster done outside. And finally I had the overall alignment done at yet another MnM center. This is all after going +2 inches at the rear on Nano suspensions.

--------
Shankar, please tell us where u got that toy from! I really want a dashboard thar in black! What fun!

--------

Misc knowledge to those who seek it:
1. Most 70mai solutions use a step down to 5V before the dashcam works. Therein they do not sense battery voltage and will cot off rather low (11.6 on my kit, 11.8 on newer kits). Which is all obnoxiously low for a diesel vehicle. In other words, you will find yourself pushing the vehicle to start it if you rely on their hardwire kits later. You're better off with alternatives. Even nexdigitron's basic A1 is directly wired to 12V and thus you can set digitally your cut off voltage to 12, 12.2 and so on (safe values!)

2. The windshield was replaced with a thicker model as per an MnM circular. Speculation galore, a move in the right direction. I applaud their continued feedback and improvement model.

3. Forget the IRVM unit - explore my Maruti IRVM auto day night mirror. It's really amazing and has been the single biggest improvement I've made to the vehicle in years.... (superceding what the suspension change or arm rests and what not have done for me as an enthu driver.)

4. Hella lights (spot for front fog and flood for rear /side fill) are the way to go. Mithun has wonderful videos and extensive experience with them now. I have a wonderful Bushranger LED bar up front that has a very good color temperature and spectrum coverage.

Last edited by wooka : 11th February 2024 at 01:19.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks