Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2024, 15:18   #4996

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Wouldn't it be unnecessarily complex, and costly affair for Mahindra to put two different kind of suspensions for a same vehicle with just 2WD/4WD difference? It will probably need a differently assembly line, maintaining separate stocks, and what not.

What would be the gain from it if they are doing this?
Suspensions are bound to be different because of difference in weight of both the vehicles. RWD Diesel has a smaller engine and no 4by4 components thereby resulting in significant reduction of weight.
Old 31st January 2024, 16:55   #4997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For the first time, I saw a Thar without doors! Looked absolutely wicked. As many of you know, I take the top down of my Thar at least once a month. And the thought of driving an open-top Thar without doors is tempting.

How much time does it take? What all tools are required? Any tips on properly storing the door so it doesn't get damaged? Would appreciate a step-by-step process guide from someone who has done it.

Attachment 2566561
This vehicle belongs to a member from our local 4x4 group (Mumbai 4WD Club). He has shared the following 'door-removal' guide & tips:
  1. First open the hinges with t25torx,
  2. Next open the door bolt with 12mm socket,
  3. Then disconnect the power window cable from under the dashboard, and
  4. Then lift the door from hinges & store in a cool clean dry place

Attaching the below images as shared by him:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240131-4.15.20-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240131-4.41.16-pm.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240131-4.41.15-pm.jpeg

However, the above mod was inspired by another group member who took off the doors on his red convertible Thar for our Republic Day drive. I personally think the convertible Thar looks way better without doors!
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-picsart_240131_164427830.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:03   #4998

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury95 View Post
Ooops. I did miss reading that post.
I find it strange that Mahindra has made extensive changes considering the aftermarket suspension available is still compatible with newer Thars. If the front and rear shocks alone could be directly swapped then it shouldn't be a problem and probably a little improvement can be found.

So I asked another service centre ( Kottayam, Kerala ) and the tech team from there said there’s no difference whatsoever with regards to the suspension components between 2021 and 2023-24. Even the part numbers are same, as many of our members have mentioned before. But he also told me that if I insist, they can change mine to the latest one but it wouldn’t make any difference to my ride quality They’re certain about that.

When I enquired if there’s any change that has been done with suspension, they said there’s been no update or improvement as far as they know. There’s been some update with steering box apparently but not suspension.

I’m not sure if there’s any other component other than suspension ( stock tires, recently checked my alignment as well ) that can lead to changed ride quality. I’m sure I there’s a significant difference in the ride quality with try recent ones.

Secondly, if I’m to test it out, what are the components I should replace ? Would just the dampers at the front and back do or should I change the coil springs, stabiliser rod, arms as well ?
aak7420 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 15:30   #4999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7420 View Post
Nair.V8, If you're reading this, do let me know how I can get in touch with you. Would like to know more about the IronMan.
Hey there! I would be happy to connect, maybe you could reach out to the moderators to share my mail id or something.
Old 1st February 2024, 17:55   #5000
BHPian

Team,

Fed up with the vibrations and the off-angle for the IRVM when one toggles between day and night modes (which somehow every other OEM has mastered, right from my humble Santro Xing of yesteryear), I decided to overhaul the OE mirror and go with a Maruti automatic day/night IRVM.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-close-up-.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-wide-.jpg

The culprit - a shaky OE mount system with no way for one to tighten the socket. Other brands may either have a self-fastening solution or one with a screw.
Name:  sshaky mount 1.gif
Views: 706
Size:  2.06 MB

Project costs - 4k mirror + 100 mirror cover + 350 wiring harness + some coffee (optional)

The results are pretty OK for a cold-hands attempt (NOIDA- it just rained today, and it's a cold and windy Winter) with eye-balled measurements to trim the upper mirror cap (hides the harness.)

1. Day 1 - Placed a sourced mirror mount with urethane on the windshield. Covered the gap with some extra to give a smooth OE look. Sadly, I had to undo all the excess adhesive later since the mirror didn't fit neatly. However, better planning and 5 minutes of effort later this could have looked better! There was a choice of taking off the OE mount but the risk outweighed the benefits. I decided to place the new mount next to the OE mount at the advice of the windshield professional. Some masking tape kept it against the glass. I read that curing time can go up to a week during the cold. I do not dispute it at all.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mirror-positioning.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-windshield-urethane.jpg

2. Day 2 - Worked on the wiring! Made the mistake of forgetting to RTFM. The green wire from the harness goes to the +ve 12V (ACC is a good fuse to tap) and the red is for reverse +12V (pointless when you have a reverse camera on the stereo). Who'd have thought?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-wiring-sleeved.jpg

Black is ground, thankfully. After hours of multimeter testing I went back to reading Shashi's thread HERE (DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM install in a Maruti Suzuki XL6). He's been a TBHP-gem-of-a-person through my K12 2010 Swift ZXI ownership and a trove of knowledge (and spare part guide!)

3. Day 3 - It's been raining so I waited a couple of days before I got started on loading the windshield mount. The urethane is still somewhat gel-like so I am not going to put the car through the paces anytime soon. The focus today was to get the mirror connected and done with. And it worked out just fine.

Side notes:
1. I had a broken piece of plastic lying in the plastic trim above the sunshades. Near the mic-box! I removed it gladly. If anyone can make sense of it, please do. It's been bugging me for years.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-random-broken-plastic.jpg

2. I took the opportunity to upgrade my trim clips to foam-lined ones. This greatly has reduced my rattles system-wide when used on other panels.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-new-clips.jpg

3. I found a better location for the Jio Motive dongle (gives my AI box wifi when I am driving, and my wife cribs less about Airtel, I theorize). Wrapped it up in foam, zip-tied the foam and stuffed it behind the trim on the drivers side by the dashboard. Hopefully, the GPS signal will be better and I will have to worry less about the theft of said dongle (defeating its purpose altogether?)
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-jio-dongle-wrapped.jpg

@Mods, please help resize pics, I have no clue how one does.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd February 2024 at 09:57. Reason: Added gif of the OE mount. No mention of Alcohol please.
wooka is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 14:46   #5001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Project costs - 4k mirror + 100 mirror cover + 350 wiring harness ...

Hi Wooka, where did you source the mirror from? Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 15:52   #5002
BHPian

Go to any maruti service center. Tell them it's for a Ciaz ZXI. Old model.

It's MRP is about 4050 rupees. They may give it minus 5% discount if you ask. The harness is for 500 + but I got it off boodmo in 24 hours for 350 including rapid shipping (boodmo fulfilled.)

The mirror covers were unavailable so I had to backorder them at a Maruti service center. Took 4 days to source. 100 bucks.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 21:16   #5003
BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Fed up with the vibrations and the off-angle for the IRVM when one toggles between day and night modes (which somehow every other OEM has mastered, right from my humble Santro Xing of yesteryear), I decided to overhaul the OE mirror and go with a Maruti automatic day/night IRVM.

2. I took the opportunity to upgrade my trim clips to foam-lined ones. This greatly has reduced my rattles system-wide when used on other panels.
Attachment 2567676
Excellent DIY!

Was it not possible to position the new mirror mount within the existing black taped area on the windscreen?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-windshield-urethane-2.jpg

Can you please share link for the clips?

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 22:07   #5004
BHPian

No links! Go to a windshield guy. He'll help you. I tipped my guy 100 bucks for the clip and urethane application, combined.

About position, if I could OD it again, I would install the stand horizontally instead of vertically. It would allow for 1. Better mounting height. 2. Better space utilization overall. The mirror is truly 360 rotatable (can go along any axis, not a 360 mirror! Please!)

Last edited by wooka : 2nd February 2024 at 22:08.
Old 3rd February 2024, 08:06   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
No links! Go to a windshield guy. He'll help you. I tipped my guy 100 bucks for the clip and urethane application, combined.
I believe you are referring to metal mount on which mirror is mounted?
I was asking about plastic trim clips.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:37   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Go to any maruti service center. Tell them it's for a Ciaz ZXI. Old model.

It's MRP is about 4050 rupees.
Nice DIY

Are you planning this experiment on your Scorpio-N as well? It’s beyond comprehension that why M&M doesn’t provide Auto IVRM in their Flagship Cars!
Rahkehs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 13:18   #5007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Excellent DIY!

Was it not possible to position the new mirror mount within the existing black taped area on the windscreen?
No it is not possible. The top plastic interior cladding gets in between. It won't let you hang in the mirror.

Quote:
Man, I need the part number or the link from where you got foam based mounting clips. Need it for rattling speaker overhead trim.
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:10   #5008
BHPian

So the clips are for about 10 rupees a clip.
Packs of 5.
. And as I said you can mount it on the black thing but you have to then do it horizontally. In hindsight, I'd have done that.

Here.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240203_150703.jpg
Old 4th February 2024, 01:00   #5009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
Nice DIY

Are you planning this experiment on your Scorpio-N as well? It’s beyond comprehension that why M&M doesn’t provide Auto IVRM in their Flagship Cars!
Yes, on the radar. However I am keen to see MnM launch their auto mirror since they just did for the 700. It's bound to come to the N next. The Z8 model has other sensors placed around it - I could give it a shot but I may have to improvise the mount location and also learn how to disassemble the cladding for the sensors since the room around the IRVM is tight.
Old 4th February 2024, 08:57   #5010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However I am keen to see MnM launch their auto mirror since they just did for the 700.
The 4OO has one, and in all probability, it'll be a shared parts bin. See if you can get your hands on just the mirror and see if you can mount in on the same mount...
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks