Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2024, 16:34   #4981
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChild View Post
I
Hi Shankar, do you own a RWD Diesel? Can you confirm if you have this same cyclic humming noise in your Thar when the AC is turned on?
Would really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks
Mine is a 2021 Petrol AT HT. Yes the hum from the fan does come on as described in my earlier post.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 06:26   #4982
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sgmuser, the humming sound is mostly outside the cabin, and it's quite loud. It's a sharp sound, like a metal scraping against another metal. Now, whether this is a common occurrence in all RWD Diesels or just mine, is what i'm looking for.

Would you suggest i should go ahead with the suggestions and go for Gas Change? Will this negatively affect cooling efficiency of my Aircon? ( For reference, The cooling is working fine right now )

Would really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks
Now I feel this is a bit different especially the metal sound. I don't think my Thar has anything like this. I can record the sound when switching on and share it here. But as I said mine is a 2.2 liter. It's better that you also post this in RWD thread for better response, I suggest.

Last edited by sgmuser : 30th January 2024 at 06:27. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 16:02   #4983

Hi, I've a November 2021 Petrol MT HT with 35k on the ODO with stock suspension. I test drove a recent thar with my better half, and the difference in ride quality is as day and night!

So, I called up my local service centre technician and asked them if I can swap the suspension with the newer parts. He says it is not possible and they had tried it for another insistent customer. They swapped Coil Spring, Link Rod and Stabilizer and apparently it breaks the suspension . I'm not technically very sound with this so expert opinion on this would help.

Can someone guide me with this? Thar is my daily drive and the ride quality over bad roads/off road and the body roll in the ghat roads is tiring me. Especially since I live in the ghats, where broken/off roads are way of life.
aak7420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 16:36   #4984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7420 View Post
Hi, I've a November 2021 Petrol MT HT with 35k on the ODO with stock suspension. ...Thar is my daily drive and the ride quality over bad roads/off road and the body roll in the ghat roads is tiring me. Especially since I live in the ghats, where broken/off roads are way of life.
Weren't you the one who was asking for info on Ironman suspension last month? You can contact them directly through IG:
https://www.instagram.com/ironman4x4india/?hl=en

You can contact Arka motorsports for their own kit:
https://www.arkamotorsports.com/products

Fellow TBHPian Nair.V8 has done the Ironman mod, but AFAIK he is apparently not based in KL.

I am not a Thar owner yet, so I cannot give you any first hand info. There are many TBHPians who have encyclopedic knowledge, like sankar.balan.
I assume the messaging option is not available for you since you are a new member. Guys, please help him out.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th January 2024 at 16:38.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 18:40   #4985

Oh yes, that was me.

Thank you for the links!

I had an eye on Arka's suspension ever since I bought the Thar. I use their underbody protection - solid one that protects my underside on an everyday basis. But recent reports of leakages in their suspension after a while and the prohibitive cost kept me away.

The new stock Thar is very much liveable. I might dare say, it's remarkably close to Jimny that I took out for a full day test drive the previous day. I was surprised at how comfortable the new stock thar was even at the back seat, when going around 60-80 kmph with 36PSI in ghat roads. Mine would have thrown me all around the cabin at that speed.

I was fed up with the ride quality that I thought of replacing mine with Jimny - that's such a fun toy. I took a full day test drive - including an off-road session to my estate and man, fell in love with Jimny. If not for the whining engine, I would have considered giving my Thar away - especially since the Home Minister was mighty impressed with the Jimny's ride quality.

If I can get my ride to match up with the recent Thars, my Thar stays and I'm a happy man ! I'll prefer Stock, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to shell out the 1L or so for either IronMan or AVOs.

Nair.V8, If you're reading this, do let me know how I can get in touch with you. Would like to know more about the IronMan.
aak7420 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 22:05   #4986

Quote:

AC HUMMING ISSUE

Can any other 4x2 owner confirm if they hear any such humming noise in their Thar when turning On the AC?.
I own diesel RWD and hear similar humming sound when AC is turned ON. However not as loud as the one in video. The difference may be due to phone mic sensitivity as well. I don't feel any sound of metal parts rubbing against each other as you had mentioned in an earlier post.

I have an XUV300 diesel as well which uses the same engine however there's no humming sound like in the Thar. May be the spacious engine bay and different radiator setup accentuates fan sound.
Ragu_Durai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 23:46   #4987
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aak7420 View Post

If I can get my ride to match up with the recent Thars, my Thar stays and I'm a happy man ! I'll prefer Stock, and if that doesn't work, I'll have to shell out the 1L or so for either IronMan or AVOs.
Trying to source OEM suspension components from the current batch of Thars could also be a good workaround. Also, the cost would be significantly less compared to the aftermarket ones. A quick price check online comes to about 15k in total for the whole set including the front and rear.
Old 31st January 2024, 01:10   #4988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfury95 View Post
Trying to source OEM suspension components from the current batch of Thars could also be a good workaround. Also, the cost would be significantly less compared to the aftermarket ones. A quick price check online comes to about 15k in total for the whole set including the front and rear.
I guess you missed reading his earlier post where he mentioned that the service center had tried this in another Thar and it did not work. But if it can be made to work then yes at 15k it is the best upgrade that can happen to older Thar owners.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 03:22   #4989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I guess you missed reading his earlier post where he mentioned that the service center had tried this in another Thar and it did not work. But if it can be made to work then yes at 15k it is the best upgrade that can happen to older Thar owners.
Mine is a 2022 HT and I'm really curious about the difference between the current suspension and the older generation.

If it's even a modest 10% to 15% improvement, I'm thinking downsizing the tires could tack on a couple more percentage points. Maybe even get us up to a 25% overall improvement or something we can work with.
Old 31st January 2024, 11:23   #4990
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Ooops. I did miss reading that post.
I find it strange that Mahindra has made extensive changes considering the aftermarket suspension available is still compatible with newer Thars. If the front and rear shocks alone could be directly swapped then it shouldn't be a problem and probably a little improvement can be found.
Old 31st January 2024, 11:47   #4991
BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned by GTO in an earlier post that 2023 Thar’s have been reported to have much better suspension than the previous lot.

I own a Feb manufactured, 2023 RWD Thar ( D). Does this information pertains to BS6.2 Thar that came in force from April 2023 or is there some specific batch, post which the suspension got upgraded ?
Old 31st January 2024, 12:01   #4992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankushbansal View Post
I own a Feb manufactured, 2023 RWD Thar ( D). Does this information pertains to BS6.2 Thar that came in force from April 2023 or is there some specific batch, post which the suspension got upgraded ?
Hi
How do you find the suspension in your Thar? I own a March produced 2023 Thar RWD(D) and got it changed to AVO suspension and am very happy with the results. As for the improvement part, I did not find any or enough improvement to not warrant a suspension change. I am just curious as to how the older Thar owners find a big difference between their vehicles and the newer ones. I extensively drove a 2020 Thar and on comparison with the 2023,one can factor in a 10% improvement. Nothing more. I drove my Thar for 2500 kms before I decided that i needed a suspension swap for myself. Need to know your take on your suspension.
Cheers
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 12:43   #4993
BHPian

Quote:
How do you find the suspension in your Thar?
Hello.

Though, i have not driven much any of the 2020,21,22 Thars but my take on suspension for 2023 RWD is that it's quite livable. Going through the earlier posts pertaining to Thar's suspension, i assume ( But not sure) my RWD Thar came with an improved suspension. I usually keep my tyre pressure around 33-34 psi and my city roads are 70-80% broken tarmac with potholes.
Frankly speaking, i did not find upgrading suspension a necessity for me, so happily living with the stock.
Recently, i checked on Boodmo for part numbers of shock absorber for 4WD and RWD and found them to be different which raised another question in mind if there is any difference of suspension between RWD and 4WD vehicles.

Cheers.
Old 31st January 2024, 12:51   #4994
BHPian

Quote:
Hello.

Though, i have not driven much any of the 2020,21,22 Thars but my take on suspension for 2023 RWD is that it's quite livable.
Cheers.
I take it you have not compared previous edition suspensions with yours and you are either happy or will live with your suspension? Thanks for the information.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Old 31st January 2024, 14:52   #4995
Bit
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Hello.
Recently, i checked on Boodmo for part numbers of shock absorber for 4WD and RWD and found them to be different which raised another question in mind if there is any difference of suspension between RWD and 4WD vehicles.

Cheers.
Wouldn't it be unnecessarily complex, and costly affair for Mahindra to put two different kind of suspensions for a same vehicle with just 2WD/4WD difference? It will probably need a differently assembly line, maintaining separate stocks, and what not.

What would be the gain from it if they are doing this?
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks