Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2024, 00:49   #4966

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

AC HUMMING ISSUE

I have a 4x2 Diesel. Just had the first inspection done at 800kms.
It's only been a month of ownership.
I’ve been hearing a Humming/Resonating sound when i turn on the AC.
I’ve raised a complaint at the service centre but they are taking a lot of time to find if this is abnormal.

Can any other 4x2 owner confirm if they hear any such humming noise in their Thar when turning On the AC?

Or can anyone point to what the underlying problem could be and how it can be resolved?
Any help would be much appreciated.

For reference attaching a link to the video shot at service centre:

PS: This sound has been there since day one of taking delivery. Almost ignored it since the AC was not being used in Winters.
MotoChild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 11:14   #4967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Philips Extreme Vision G Force or Osram Night Breakers (H4) work very well indeed. It’s a simple straight swap. Available on Amazon and in accessories shops and all.
Both of them are straight swap and excellent throw compared to the stock bulbs but the only downside is the limited lamp life, which is ~ 450 hours. So it’s better to buy 1-2 spare bulbs as well.

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/12342X...headlight-bulb

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT%20B...5/ZMP_4057695/
Old 25th January 2024, 23:14   #4968
Bit
BHPian

A huge shout out to BHPians for getting me out of the dilemma about the variant. Have finally booked Thar LX Petrol AT RWD! Can't thank you all enough!!

The dealer has (kind of) promised quick delivery against atleast *some* accessories to which I agreed. Now my question is:

What are some must-have official accessories that are to be taken at the dealership?

Please suggest the accessories that are worth it and clearly offer better quality/fitment than their aftermarket counterparts.

Last edited by Bit : 25th January 2024 at 23:36.
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 06:45   #4969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChild View Post
[h3]...
I’ve raised a complaint at the service centre but they are taking a lot of time to find if this is abnormal.
I dont own a 2WD thar, but, I think its the sound of the Engine Fan, which comes on when you turn ON the AC.

One way to check is.. Does it sound the same when hot and fan is already working?

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th January 2024 at 06:48.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 07:34   #4970
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I dont own a 2WD thar, but, I think its the sound of the Engine Fan, which comes on when you turn ON the AC.

One way to check is.. Does it sound the same when hot and fan is already working?
Hi Dhanush - I believe you are right.
Even here in Bangalore’s largely pleasant climate, after a round of short local errands with the AC on, the radiator cooling fan comes on and one can distinctly hear the hum. Indeed, I also believe that the fan comes on more frequently and the hum is more pronounced after I changed my front grille to the more ‘Jeepy’ one.
If you remember the original grille it came with a sort of wide-spaced chicken wire kind of mesh. The new one is a perforated metal grille fascia.
So in my thinking, it just may be possible that the fan comes on more often with this new grille in order to ensure better cooling.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0246.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9018.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9012.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9013.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 18:10   #4971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
A huge shout out to BHPians for getting me out of the dilemma about the variant. Have finally booked Thar LX Petrol AT RWD! Can't thank you all enough!!

The dealer has (kind of) promised quick delivery against atleast *some* accessories to which I agreed. Now my question is:

What are some must-have official accessories that are to be taken at the dealership?

Please suggest the accessories that are worth it and clearly offer better quality/fitment than their aftermarket counterparts.
Other than the HD reverse camera everything else is not really required from the dealership. This needs a software update for 2023 models. The other accessory which I believe must to have is the under body protection if you do even occasional off roading. Like radiator protection and the full under body protection etc. These can be had outside. Walkaway if he forces anything. You can get the bonnet bug deflector and window visor as they help a lot. If you need the hand rest for the front you can get from dealership if the quality and price is good.

Last edited by sgmuser : 26th January 2024 at 18:13. Reason: Typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 20:52   #4972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
You can get the bonnet bug deflector and window visor as they help a lot. If you need the hand rest for the front you can get from dealership if the quality and price is good.
Better than the hand rest for the front is the rear arm rest from the dealer. It fully elevates the look of the rear seats and offers useful space below the arm rests. If you are going to have rear passengers even for short journeys, you will be better off with the company accessory for the rear arm rest. The front one while useful, tends to squeak and make sounds on bad roads. Small price for the comfort. So go for the front and rear arm rests along with the rear camera. Should be good enough. If you are getting a dash cam outside, then skip the rear camera and go for one which has dual channel dash cam and it can also double up as the rear camera.

All the best and congrats on the booking.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 02:31   #4973
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Other than the HD reverse camera everything else is not really required from the dealership. This needs a software update for 2023 models. The other accessory which I believe must to have is the under body protection if you do even occasional off roading. Like radiator protection and the full under body protection etc. These can be had outside. Walkaway if he forces anything. You can get the bonnet bug deflector and window visor as they help a lot. If you need the hand rest for the front you can get from dealership if the quality and price is good.
Thanks. I'm planning for a reverse camera + dashcam (dual) which comes in form of Auto IRVM. Do you still recommend to get the HD camera from dealer? If I get from aftermarket, are those guys able to do the software upgrade as well?
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 07:59   #4974
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I'm planning for a reverse camera + dashcam (dual) which comes in form of Auto IRVM. Do you still recommend to get the HD camera from dealer? If I get from aftermarket, are those guys able to do the software upgrade as well?
The software update has to be done at the dealer.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Old 27th January 2024, 16:27   #4975
BHPian

Quote:
What I understand is that the infotainment screen OS needs an update to take the feed from the camera and display when you engage the reverse gear. This has to happen regardless of the camera I presume. If you go for dashcam and reverse cam combo then you have to check with them first. They might probably say this will void warranty. How about OEM reverse HD camera and then an aftermarket dashcam if Mahindra doesn't have the dashcam? Mahindra HD camera is quiet good and I recently checked compared to the one I have.

BTW if you dare to go for a full blown screen upgrade there is an Android based 9inch system available which will have everything the OEM has, (this is specifically made for Thar) plus it's based on Android. It nicely can fit. You can check in YouTube. I personally saw and would really like to have, but mine hasn't even crossed one year yet. So, I am just waiting for some more time. Just to share.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230615wa0030.jpg
sgmuser is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 18:31   #4976
BHPian

As mentioned by GTO in an earlier post that 2023 Thar’s have been reported to have much better suspension than the previous lot.

Has anyone replaced their 2020/2021/2022 Thar with a newer suspension? What's the estimated cost?

Also when can we expect 2024 Thar? Do we know if Mahindra plans to make any tweaks to the car before launching the 5 Door Thar?
Old 29th January 2024, 06:54   #4977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoChild View Post

AC HUMMING ISSUE

PS: This sound has been there since day one of taking delivery. Almost ignored it since the AC was not being used in Winters.
First thing first, the sound insulation isn't the best in Thar. Secondly, I suspect the sound is more pronounced due to the 1.5 engine is more quieter plus the aircon over works due to the fact that the area is bigger to cool with lesser powered engine. My assumption. Better to get checked if you're not convinced. Mahindra's service most probably will say it's normal. Even the way the aircon gets switched on in 2.2 mHawk is not refined, goes through some kind of a drama. It's all jeepy thing one has to console himself as refinement is the last thing to look for in a Mahindra vehicle.

Last edited by sgmuser : 29th January 2024 at 06:55.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 10:42   #4978
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For the first time, I saw a Thar without doors! Looked absolutely wicked. As many of you know, I take the top down of my Thar at least once a month. And the thought of driving an open-top Thar without doors is tempting.

How much time does it take? What all tools are required? Any tips on properly storing the door so it doesn't get damaged? Would appreciate a step-by-step process guide from someone who has done it.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20240128-14.24.13.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 13:03   #4979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
How much time does it take? What all tools are required? Any tips on properly storing the door so it doesn't get damaged?
Found this excellent video on Youtube.

Seems to be a straightforward 15-min activity if one has access to requisite tools. And you are right, it DOES look wicked, as seen from this screen-grab from the same video! Can't wait to try this out on mine
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-tharopen.jpg  

cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 16:07   #4980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

I have not been able to work the engine up much in the city, but i've not heard this sound while driving. It starts humming the moment the AC is turned on. Could it be an issue with the compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hi Dhanush - I believe you are right.
Even here in Bangalore’s largely pleasant climate, after a round of short local errands with the AC on, the radiator cooling fan comes on and one can distinctly hear the hum. Indeed, I also believe that the fan comes on more frequently and the hum is more pronounced after I changed my front grille to the more ‘Jeepy’ one.
Hi Shankar, do you own a RWD Diesel? Can you confirm if you have this same cyclic humming noise in your Thar when the AC is turned on?

Quote:
First thing first, the sound insulation isn't the best in Thar. Secondly, I suspect the sound is more pronounced due to the 1.5 engine is more quieter plus the aircon over works due to the fact that the area is bigger to cool with lesser powered engine. My assumption. Better to get checked if you're not convinced. Mahindra's service most probably will say it's normal. Even the way the aircon gets switched on in 2.2 mHawk is not refined, goes through some kind of a drama. It's all jeepy thing one has to console himself as refinement is the last thing to look for in a Mahindra vehicle.
Hi Sgmuser, the humming sound is mostly outside the cabin, and it's quite loud. It's a sharp sound, like a metal scraping against another metal. Now, whether this is a common occurrence in all RWD Diesels or just mine, is what i'm looking for.
The service centre guys were shifty at first. They said we'll need to check and compare with another RWD Diesel. After pressing further they did find it to be abnormal and now suggesting to go with a Ac Gas change followed by Radiator Fan change if Gas change doesn't solves it. I am hesitant to let them do a Hit & Trial method on my New Vehicle.
I am aware about the Jeepy feel( My Cousin gave a thorough Review about the roughness before i bought this) and am happy with the refinement so far, except this weird issue.
Would you suggest i should go ahead with the suggestions and go for Gas Change? Will this negatively affect cooling efficiency of my Aircon? ( For reference, The cooling is working fine right now )

Can anyone who owns a Diesel RWD confirm/deny if they have a same Humming Sound Issue?

Would really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks

Last edited by MotoChild : 29th January 2024 at 16:24. Reason: Reframed some sentences to make more sense

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks